ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 03-12-2019, 04:09 PM   #76
stormspencer
Sweet 16

Default Re: Manek

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
One poster stated repeatedly in this thread that Manek, a player that most agree is the second- or (at worst) third-best player on the team, shouldn't be starting. I came back with actual stats and other info that called that stance into question. I'm not sensitive; I'm just prepared counter to what I view as unfounded criticism.

Many here who are very quick to criticize the players and coaches (and often in less than civil terms) get very touchy indeed when someone dares to disagree with them.

But yeah, we're the sensitive ones.
I wasn't even referring to you in this case.....but your response conveniently backs up my statement.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:52 PM   #77
skyvue
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAsooner View Post
for curiosity if he shouldn't start who should ????
Not surprisingly, that was never addressed.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:22 PM   #78
Ghost of Gar Heard
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by oudna View Post
Go take a midol.
Classy, sexist comment. This deserves a warning of some kind.
Ghost of Gar Heard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:38 PM   #79
skyvue
Elite Eight

And for those who keep repeating that Manek didn't improve this season, I'll cite the facts once again: He improved in six categories, he remained the same in three and he got worse in these three categories: He had more turnovers, going from .7 per game to 1.5 per game. That number, by the way, is the same as Doolittle's (and I've seen no one call him out) and it's lower than James' and Calixte's.

His overall shooting dropped a tick over 1%--sorry, but that's negligible any way you want to spin it--while from deep, his percentage dropped just under 3%, which is a little more concerning, but he still shot better in both categoriers than James did--and CJ is a senior.

That's it -- those three categories are the only ones that saw him drop off. Meanwhile, he improved in six areas, including a significant jump in free throw percentage--from 60% to 75%.

And again it's worth remembering that he was battling a midseason lingering illness that caused him to lose significant weight (10-12 pounds is what I've heard reported). It's not a leap to suggest had he not been sick for a couple of weeks, his shooting percentages might not have fallen off at all, though of course we can't know that for sure.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:40 AM   #80
paboomersooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by oukyle View Post
Anyone that thinks Manek sucks or doesn't belong is delusional or is just being needlessly abrasive. I am disappointed that his improvement this season has not been more significant - he has basically played a similar season to last year, when we all expected to see significant improvement. He played 15% more minutes and his rebounds and points increased only incrementally upon the minutes played, rather than seeing actual increases of him being "better". Also, his FG% and 3P% are down from last year.

We should have seen much bigger jumps from him in production and efficiency. Here's to hoping we see that next year, because he certainly has the talent.
If Brady stayed the same statistically from last year to this one, he would have been showing improvement. Last year, Trae was so good, he made EVERYONE better. Trae even made me better, and all I do is sit on my couch and watch the game.

To lose a generational talent like Trae but still get at least marginally better in multiple statistics as Sky pointed out is more improvement than it looks.
paboomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:27 AM   #81
thebigabd
National Champion

Talking Re: Manek

Quote:
Originally Posted by paboomersooner View Post
If Brady stayed the same statistically from last year to this one, he would have been showing improvement. Last year, Trae was so good, he made EVERYONE better. Trae even made me better, and all I do is sit on my couch and watch the game.

To lose a generational talent like Trae but still get at least marginally better in multiple statistics as Sky pointed out is more improvement than it looks.
Good point.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:48 AM   #82
WTSooner
National Champion

If you all are talking about me as the one saying he shouldn't be starting, keep up with my points please.

I'm not suggesting THIS OU roster currently has a better option. My main point was that we should be recruiting and fielding a roster in a way that Manek, definitely as a frosh and soph, shouldn't have been starting. I stand by that. I'd argue that even possibly as a JR and SR he shouldn't be starting. And let's not forget, if McNeace doesn't get injured, we're either playing guys out of position at the 3, or Manek is likely on the bench with Doolittle and McNeace starting inside. So again, I stand by that.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:26 AM   #83
CoachTalk
Final Four

I think we continue with Doo at the 5 and Manek at the 4 next year. We have outrebounded our opponents for the year. Slim margin but still true.

Manek is a coaches dream at the 4, Long Lanky can shoot it, can rebound, of course, it will improve as he gets older as do most players.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:41 AM   #84
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
If you all are talking about me as the one saying he shouldn't be starting, keep up with my points please.

I'm not suggesting THIS OU roster currently has a better option. My main point was that we should be recruiting and fielding a roster in a way that Manek, definitely as a frosh and soph, shouldn't have been starting. I stand by that. I'd argue that even possibly as a JR and SR he shouldn't be starting. And let's not forget, if McNeace doesn't get injured, we're either playing guys out of position at the 3, or Manek is likely on the bench with Doolittle and McNeace starting inside. So again, I stand by that.
you could argue that but you wouldn't be correct manek by lots of advanced metrics was better than doo this season ..

he is a starter on high level basketball teams
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:56 AM   #85
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
you could argue that but you wouldn't be correct manek by lots of advanced metrics was better than doo this season ..

With Reaves and Harmon and Jamal a year older. I think driving line for them will help Manek have a great junior and senior years.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:00 AM   #86
BCSooners
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post

Since conference play it hasn't been close, this isn't a shot at Manek but to how good Doolittle was in conference.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:05 AM   #87
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Named honorable mention All Conference in best league in America by the coaches, but not good enough to be shouldn't be a starter on a high level team. Apparently the coaches don't realize that in a league of this caliber, there are/should be tons of better players at his position(s).
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:09 AM   #88
Eielson
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
And for those who keep repeating that Manek didn't improve this season, I'll cite the facts once again: He improved in six categories, he remained the same in three and he got worse in these three categories: He had more turnovers, going from .7 per game to 1.5 per game. That number, by the way, is the same as Doolittle's (and I've seen no one call him out) and it's lower than James' and Calixte's.

His overall shooting dropped a tick over 1%--sorry, but that's negligible any way you want to spin it--while from deep, his percentage dropped just under 3%, which is a little more concerning, but he still shot better in both categoriers than James did--and CJ is a senior.

That's it -- those three categories are the only ones that saw him drop off. Meanwhile, he improved in six areas, including a significant jump in free throw percentage--from 60% to 75%.
This is a really weak argument statistically. For some reason a FG drop of 2.1% from 2 and 2.8% from 3 is "negligible any way you spin it," yet going from 0.5 to 0.8 assists per game isn't. That's just arguing to argue. His usage is up, his turnovers are up, and he's getting to the FT line more often. That's about all there is.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:15 AM   #89
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
Since conference play it hasn't been close, this isn't a shot at Manek but to how good Doolittle was in conference.

conf stats only

Manek 12.11 PPG 5.33 Reb .778 ast .833 Blk .556 St .46% FG 38.5% 3P .80% FF

Doo 13.9 PPG 7.8 REb 2.1 AST .6 Blk .9 St .495% FG .00% 3p .786%FF

per 40min and per 100 pos Manek has a higher O and D rating and scores more points

advanced stats in conf only

manek 20.2 PER 1.7 WS
Doo 19.9PER 1.9 WS

so a lot closer than you think
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:40 AM   #90
thebigabd
National Champion

I am stunned that we have a 4-5 page thread going on about Brady Manek. He is clearly a very good player that would be starting on most, if not all, Big 12 teams.

Not many put up the numbers he does as a freshman and sophomore. I could show you some top 25 recruits that do not out-produce him.

To get a guy like that from Harrah, OK is the very definition of a gem.

Last edited by thebigabd; 03-13-2019 at 07:45 AM.
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:43 AM   #91
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
I am stunned that we have a 4-5 page thread going on about Brady Manek. He is clearly a very good player that would be starting on most, if not all, Big 12 teams.

Not many put up the numbers he does as a freshman and sophomore. I could shot you some top 25 recruits that do not out-produce him.

To get a guy like that from Harrah, OK is the very definition of a gem.
ez-roll:

Lots of Huge OU fans but they dont like any of our players, hates the coaches, etc.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:53 AM   #92
TheMont
Role Player

Brady has 688 career points so far. Only nine people in program history have scored 700 points before the end of their sophomore year.

The history books will remember him kindly when it's all said and done.
TheMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:57 AM   #93
Eielson
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
From what I can tell, there's only one person speaking negatively about Manek's performance, and even they have admitted that he should be starting on this team. Nobody has said he's a bad player. This thread has taken some interesting turns.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:00 AM   #94
MsProudSooner
National Champion

After reading this thread, it seems that the posters who have to have a whipping boy/scapegoat every season have decided Brady will be their guy next season.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:12 AM   #95
sheepdogs1
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
After reading this thread, it seems that the posters who have to have a whipping boy/scapegoat every season have decided Brady will be their guy next season.
People critique people followed by people critiquing those who critique followed by a critiquing of those critiquing the critiquing. That's my critique. Did I just describe life in a nutshell? Oh to change the uncontrollable.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:24 AM   #96
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post
People critique people followed by people critiquing those who critique followed by a critiquing of those critiquing the critiquing. That's my critique. Did I just describe life in a nutshell? Oh to change the uncontrollable.
Reading thst made my head hurt and my eyes spin out of control.
AdaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:39 AM   #97
sheepdogs1
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
Reading thst made my head hurt and my eyes spin out of control.
You forgot to mention the burning of calories!
Old 03-13-2019, 09:03 AM   #98
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post

What did these people do before the internet existed???

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:04 AM   #99
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:

Yelled at kids to get off their lawn.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:11 AM   #100
sheepdogs1
Sweet 16

Quote:

They played Simone says, Simone.

Last edited by sheepdogs1; 03-13-2019 at 09:18 AM.