ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 01-13-2020, 10:43 AM   #26
daqman
Walk-on

Default Re: 10 Games In.... Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolm View Post
It's a GAME. The purpose of which is to entertain and have fun. It's hard to be entertained when you're too busy complaining and griping. You need to relax.
Your definition/standard of entertainment must be far different than mine.
daqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:44 AM   #27
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
It's a GAME. The purpose of which is to entertain and have fun. It's hard to be entertained when you're too busy complaining and griping. You need to relax.
It's also a competition. And if we're going to compete, I'd prefer we do it well. You see, I get MORE joy out of that.

Otherwise, we might as well not even keep score.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:02 PM   #28
OUSKINS
Walk-on

Quote:
Yeah, Iím not sure what your point is here. Assuming this season progresses as it has thus far, this will be our fourth straight season where the team is AT BEST a borderline tourney team, well below .500 in conference, with very little upside. One or two years like that when you are coming off a F4 run is fine, but where we are now is not where I want to be as a program four years removed from a high point. I think the program can do better than this. Now, maybe the season goes off the charts from here and the end really strong and break the cycle of meh. If they do, that will change things. But if we stay on this general trajectory, I am not going to be satisfied with just squeezing into the tourney again.

www.oklahomacitythunderblog.blogspot.com
OUSKINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:34 PM   #29
Hollisp
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUSKINS View Post
Yeah, Iím not sure what your point is here. Assuming this season progresses as it has thus far, this will be our fourth straight season where the team is AT BEST a borderline tourney team, well below .500 in conference, with very little upside. One or two years like that when you are coming off a F4 run is fine, but where we are now is not where I want to be as a program four years removed from a high point. I think the program can do better than this. Now, maybe the season goes off the charts from here and the end really strong and break the cycle of meh. If they do, that will change things. But if we stay on this general trajectory, I am not going to be satisfied with just squeezing into the tourney again.
I think this is a fair, level headed, non hyperbolic answer that looks longer term than just one game. It also sees a chance things improve. I also tend to agree with most of the post. I just get annoyed with over kill of things are going off the rails bc of one game.

Good post
Hollisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:14 PM   #30
OUSKINS
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollisp View Post
I think this is a fair, level headed, non hyperbolic answer that looks longer term than just one game. It also sees a chance things improve. I also tend to agree with most of the post. I just get annoyed with over kill of things are going off the rails bc of one game.

Good post
Well, I think people react in the moment based on the bigger picture (if that makes any sense). I don't think you would have seen as negative reaction to the ISU loss if say, OU was a 2 loss team coming in and had looked really strong in recent weeks. People may be a little upset in the game thread, but the overall reaction would be more "oh well, we always lose in Ames...."

In a vacuum, losing in Ames and splitting the road trip isn't a big deal.

To me, the "big deal" is this is now a FOUR year pattern. Any time OU has even a little success in conf play they immediately follow it up with a clunker. As a matter of fact, have they won back to back B12 road games at all in the past four years? I bet they have at some point, but I'm not positive on that.

This is the 2020 team-- problem for me is that they don't look any better than the 2019 team, which really wasn't any better than the 2018 team. There is little improvement on the court or in the recruiting battle. And in terms of fan interest and general "juice" around the program, there is probably a regression.

Look, if OU goes 11-7 in conf and wins a couple games in KC then this narrative completely changes for me-- that would be a CLEAR step in an advanced direction. But if we wind up 9-9 or worse, even if we mix in some good wins, even if we make the Tourney, it's going to be really hard to be excited about this team or program.

www.oklahomacitythunderblog.blogspot.com
OUSKINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:45 PM   #31
TheMont
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUSKINS View Post
As a matter of fact, have they won back to back B12 road games at all in the past four years? I bet they have at some point, but I'm not positive on that.
The last time we won back to back Big 12 road games was January-February 2015 (Buddy's junior year) when we won at Ok State and at TCU consecutively.

Going into last week, I just wanted to split the 2 games at Austin and Ames. Before the ISU game, I even told my partner that I'd be alright if we lost to ISU (who would be playing with their hair on fire to avoid an 0-3 start) because we already stole a game on the road earlier in the week.

So my issue is not that we lost, it's HOW we lost. It is hard to watch/cheer for a team that looks like we did at ISU -- absolutely no hustle on either side of the floor, standing around, etc etc.
TheMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:00 PM   #32
Hollisp
Role Player

I see what both of you are saying. Again I like this discourse much more. So thanks.

Now, I agree there’s a pattern I don’t like that we do seem stagnant. I also like the term “juice” I def can understand that it’s doesn’t really exist in terms of excitement about the program.

However, we made it to the 2nd round of the NCAA Tourney last year with a team that wasn’t that talented to make it that far. Followed it up with Harmon signing.

Those gave me some “juice.”

But again, I see your point and it’s def valid.

Let’s beat KU for the THIRD straight year at home and keep the juice flowing! Ha
Hollisp is offline   Reply With Quote