ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 12-17-2019, 10:33 PM   #1
OUSKINS
Walk-on

Default 10 Games In.... Meh

Iíve watched all 10 games and I generally try not to make snap judgments until the sample is reasonable. I think 10 games is reasonable. My assessment? Eh, very, very meh.

They donít stink. I donít anticipate this being a ďbadĒ season. But I donít think the ceiling is high either. I am a big fan of Lon as a program manager; I am not a big fan of him as a tactician. So keeping both of those things in mind, I would guess the team will find ways to get enough wins to at least be a bubble-type team and I always do NOT anticipate them really finding a way to legitimately ďfixĒ trheir on court issues. They will probably be a terrible defensive and rebounding team all year. Maybe they will overcome it in individual games when they short the 3 well or get lucky that another team isnít hitting shots. They will probably be pretty good at home in conference like they usually are.

But I just see a team with no true strengths. What do they do well? They donít rebound at all. They donít play much D. Donít shoot it great. Not overly athletic. No real depth. Just sort of meh all around.

Biggest disappointment has to be Harmon. Iím not giving up on him by any means. He can absolutely still be a very good player here. But my hope for this season was based heavily on him being a star-level player right from the start. Clearly, thatís not the case. So he just looks like any other freshmen trying to find his way. Which is fine, but also severely limits this particular team.

The good news is that the B12 isnít as good this year. That could also be the bad news as it might take more than the previous two seasons to make The Dance. But overall, Iíll admit to simply feeling unenthused about this team right now.

www.oklahomacitythunderblog.blogspot.com
OUSKINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:38 PM   #2
oudna
All-American

Default Re: 10 Games In.... Meh

Harmon’s play has been shocking this year. Equally surprising is he is leading the team in +/-.
oudna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:38 PM   #3
Max Power
Elite Eight

Anyone still think this is the most talented team we have had under Lon?

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:02 PM   #4
NickZepp
National Champion

The new guys we got coming in just haven't been any good outside of Reaves. We got 21 points and 15 rebounds from our leader and 23 from the transfer and 17 from Manek. Those guys are really good and have produced like veterans. The rest of the roster right now hasn't. Harmon has had his moments but he was bad tonight. 3 points 0 assists in 22 minutes. Bienemy 0 points 4 assists. I'm not sure they should be playing together.
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:06 AM   #5
cjhsooner
Walk-on

Been mocked and scorned for saying I think OU needs a new leader at the helm, as Kruger is past his welcome at OU. I will forever feel this season should have been the first under a new coach. Instead, it may set the program back farther than when Kruger got it.

Flame away!
cjhsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:31 AM   #6
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oudna View Post
Harmonís play has been shocking this year. Equally surprising is he is leading the team in +/-.
this for sure has been the biggest suprise
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:32 AM   #7
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUSKINS View Post

But overall, Iíll admit to simply feeling unenthused about this team right now.
shocking
Old 12-18-2019, 08:02 AM   #8
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhsooner View Post
Been mocked and scorned for saying I think OU needs a new leader at the helm, as Kruger is past his welcome at OU. I will forever feel this season should have been the first under a new coach. Instead, it may set the program back farther than when Kruger got it.

Flame away!
This is the type of take that makes it tough to take you seriously. I don't agree that he should be gone, but I guess a reasonable case could be made for that position. But to say we might end up worse off than when he arrived is ludicrous. If we only win a few more games, we'll be pretty much right where we ended the year in Capel's final season. Then add in the off-court issues and lack of goodwill with fans and former players, and it isn't even in the same ballpark.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:30 AM   #9
tmeyer3307
Role Player

JB and Harmon right now can't play together.. Harmon has been better. Start Williams and give him 20min a night at least. You have to commit to giving Kur or Victor 12-20 min a game as well. Manek and Doolittle have been getting beat up for the last several years.. gotta take some pressure off of those guys somehow.
tmeyer3307 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:05 AM   #10
Soonerinkc
Sweet 16

Victor
I just don't see any offense in him...he looks so "out of sorts", "not smooth"..."not fluid"...if that makes sense?

I've watched a few games and he may be athletic but I dunno...

He definitely won't give up any offense, I guess some D but his (along with rest of the team) was not good last night.
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:31 AM   #11
tmeyer3307
Role Player

Victor is a young freak athlete out there running around not knowing what to do on offense or defense yet.. I doubt it really clicks any time soon for him.. He may be like this for his first two years at OU. Right now we just need him to play hard and smarter. Get a rebound and kick it out, or just finish at rim this year. Don't play 10 min and foul out lol.
tmeyer3307 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 04:26 PM   #12
inoref
All-American

This is why I say wait and see, still say it..lots of games left to play. They either get better or not
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 05:01 PM   #13
MJSooner
Walk-on

A handful of things that are frustrating about this team. Hopefully, we are still trying to gel and figure things out and will get better and will improve, but here is what I see.

One, is the tendency to fall behind early in almost every game and not being able to take control at any point. We play to the level of competition and never seem to impose our will on the opponent. Even last night, we fall behind, creep back in and can't get over the hump, before letting it go late. Secondly, is outside of Doo or Reaves taking their man one-on-one, we don't seem to have ANY offensive identity or flow. Doesn't seem like we want to get out and run, don't have a go to set we run when we need a bucket. I know part of it is Kruger's offensive philosophy, but we seem totally lost and hesitant on the offensive end. Third, to go along with that, we are not a good shooting team from the field. Three-point % looks like it will be a struggle all year. Finally, as mentioned, it looks like we do not have a desire to rebound the ball at all. I noticed several times last night we don't even attempt to go after a missed shot. One instance we had four guys box out on a rebound and a Creighton player came in and got the ball.

I'm hoping things will get better as players figure out their role. We know Harmon is a better player than he has shown, despite the +/-, and I got to think JB can contribute something on the offensive end. Williams shows flashes but then shows bonehead plays like fouling 3pt shooters. I see a lot of talented guys without knowing their role or even having one at this point.

Guys better figure it out soon because conference play will be tough to find wins. Describing the team as "meh" may be accurate as I see a 18-20 win season as a high end goal. Hope we can get there as a 16-15 record looks very realistic.

Last edited by MJSooner; 12-18-2019 at 05:04 PM.
MJSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 10:04 AM   #14
Jeopardude
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhsooner View Post

Flame away!
This is hilarious. Lon should have been fired after winning a game in the tourney and then losing to the eventual champion.
Jeopardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:12 AM   #15
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

I won't criticize anyone for thinking it is time to move on from Lon. I don't really like our style of play and lack of progression through a season. I think the program needs new blood.

But to try and say we are being set back to the end of Capel's tenor is ridiculous
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:41 AM   #16
inoref
All-American

I still have to say wait and see, no they are not and most likely will not be a serious contender for any title but I wouldn't be surprised if they make the tourney
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:04 PM   #17
OUSKINS
Walk-on

So, after a few more weeks my opinion hasn’t changed. But now I’m more concerned long term. Sometimes this team really sucks. Like, really bad. But ultimately they are not a “bad” team. My best guess is that the remainder of this season plays out like it has thus far— lots and lots of ugly games; will win some/lose some. Maybe we will mix in a really good outing or a really bad one (like ISU). If I’m betting, I’d say OU finishes around .500 in co conference and squeaks into the tourney again. And in a vacuum, a season where you make the tourney isn’t anything to scoff at.

But the problem I see is that not only the team, but the PROGRAM has lost any juice they had following the Final 4 run. The team isn’t particularly fun to watch. No real entertainment value. They aren’t a high energy team or a scrappy team. Not saying the physical effort isn’t there, but they certainly don’t appear to have an extra gear or anything that makes you think they will get much better than they are now. They literally don’t do anything well. No strengths.

If this season continues on the current path, we will be looking at our fourth straight season of uninspiring results. That first year post-Buddy where we missed tourney was fine. Rebuild year after a great run. But three years later we haven’t gained any traction. It all feels very stale. From recruiting to the LNC to the way the team plays. Stale. Boring. I am a huge Lon fan, I think he was a great hire and led us to a very nice turnaround and some really fun seasons. And I was willing to be really patient after that run to see if he could build it up for another run. But things seems stuck. And for the first time I’m really beginning to wonder if the only way to “in-stick” things is if there is a coaching change.

www.oklahomacitythunderblog.blogspot.com
OUSKINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:16 AM   #18
BoulderSooner
Administrator

what are you talking about we once again are a tourney team ..
Old 01-13-2020, 08:19 AM   #19
coolm
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
people just like to have something to complain about.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:21 AM   #20
Hollisp
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolm View Post
Bingo
Hollisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:18 AM   #21
steverocks35
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
Is that what we want in a program? A team that has to play on day one of the big 12 tournament? A team on the bubble that probably squeaks in the tournament? I thought we had higher standards but YMMV.
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:24 AM   #22
daqman
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
Is that what we want in a program? A team that has to play on day one of the big 12 tournament? A team on the bubble that probably squeaks in the tournament? I thought we had higher standards but YMMV.
Yeah, a day 1 loss in the conference tourney and 1and done in the NCAA's is not ok.
daqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:29 AM   #23
sheepdogs1
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolm View Post
More importantly, people do not care to sit on the fence and must embellish in one way or another so as to be to the side of said fence.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:14 AM   #24
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
ding, ding, ding
Old 01-13-2020, 10:24 AM   #25
coolm
National Champion

Quote:
It's a GAME. The purpose of which is to entertain and have fun. It's hard to be entertained when you're too busy complaining and griping. You need to relax.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote