ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 07-13-2018, 08:58 AM   #3251
scrybe
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,946
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
Your suggestion of Jessica Shultz makes a lot of sense if she is ready to manage a top D-I pitching staff which is yet to be determined. But I agree to insure we keep our present day commitments we need a replacement named as soon as possible.
I've been advocating for Jessica from the moment Melyssa's departure was confirmed. And why would anyone assume she isn't ready to manage a D1 pitching staff? Anyone who doesn't have Lombardi's track record (and that would include every coach or GA in the nation) would be as much, or more, an unknown quantity as Jessica Shultz.

If the rumors are true that K. Rickets and Lea Wodach will both come aboard in 2019 as graduate assistants, Shultz would have all the help she needs to succeed as the Sooners' pitching coach.
__________________
Sent from my MacMini using my left index finger.
scrybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:43 PM   #3252
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 3,871
Default Re: Softball

Lombardi's Oregon contract is for 1.7 mil for 5 years.

Missy will average making $100K+/year than Oregon was paying Mike White. She gets $140K plus bonuses more than she made at OU. Oregon also agrees to past through to Missy any product endorsement fees it earns from softball equipment vendors.


http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/inde...ach_earns.html
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:48 PM   #3253
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 3,871
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe View Post
I've been advocating for Jessica from the moment Melyssa's departure was confirmed. And why would anyone assume she isn't ready to manage a D1 pitching staff? Anyone who doesn't have Lombardi's track record (and that would include every coach or GA in the nation) would be as much, or more, an unknown quantity as Jessica Shultz.

If the rumors are true that K. Rickets and Lea Wodach will both come aboard in 2019 as graduate assistants, Shultz would have all the help she needs to succeed as the Sooners' pitching coach.
You definitely cannot assume that Jessica isn't ready but likewise you cannot know that she is ready to do the job until she get the position and performs well. There is alway a risk factor when a coach is elevated to the next level. Tough decision that is just part of the reason Patty is paid the big bucks.
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:58 PM   #3254
Speedy17
Role Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 657
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
You definitely cannot assume that Jessica isn't ready but likewise you cannot know that she is ready to do the job until she get the position and performs well. There is alway a risk factor when a coach is elevated to the next level. Tough decision that is just part of the reason Patty is paid the big bucks.
Keilani was a GA at Miss State and missed half the season because she had to play in Japan. Maybe this year is different but I don't know that she has what it takes to be a coach. She has always been the superstar. The same thing happened with Shelby Pendley at New Mexico, she left mid-season to play in the pros only she was a full time assistant and not a GA.

As for Shults, she has worked the bullpen at OU as player and as a GA with Lombardi. In addition, she helped coach UH into post season this past year for the first time in years. She has multiple years on the staff. Gascoigne would be the other for Sooner/GA who has real coaching experience at Northwestern. The difference is that she does not have the coaching experience at catcher which Lombardi has been doing for 20+ years. If Patty hires a pure pitching coach then she is going to have to coach the catchers. I am certainly not sure Lea is ready to be the primary catching coach as a GA. I think catcher is way too important not to cover it.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:52 AM   #3255
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 3,871
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy17 View Post
Keilani was a GA at Miss State and missed half the season because she had to play in Japan. Maybe this year is different but I don't know that she has what it takes to be a coach. She has always been the superstar. The same thing happened with Shelby Pendley at New Mexico, she left mid-season to play in the pros only she was a full time assistant and not a GA.

As for Shults, she has worked the bullpen at OU as player and as a GA with Lombardi. In addition, she helped coach UH into post season this past year for the first time in years. She has multiple years on the staff. Gascoigne would be the other for Sooner/GA who has real coaching experience at Northwestern. The difference is that she does not have the coaching experience at catcher which Lombardi has been doing for 20+ years. If Patty hires a pure pitching coach then she is going to have to coach the catchers. I am certainly not sure Lea is ready to be the primary catching coach as a GA. I think catcher is way too important not to cover it.
No question many forget the importance of Missy's handling of the catchers and the serveral All American/All Conference players she produced. That definitely could be a leg up for Jessica if Patty thinks she is ready to take on replacing Missy coaching the circle and behind the plate.

There is a good argument for support for Jessica among the fans but as we all know the only thing that matters is what Patty thinks. The answer will be interesting and I am sure will create some further "what if" speculation with the fans.
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:09 PM   #3256
scrybe
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,946
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
No question many forget the importance of Missy's handling of the catchers and the serveral All American/All Conference players she produced. That definitely could be a leg up for Jessica if Patty thinks she is ready to take on replacing Missy coaching the circle and behind the plate.

There is a good argument for support for Jessica among the fans but as we all know the only thing that matters is what Patty thinks. The answer will be interesting and I am sure will create some further "what if" speculation with the fans.
Certainly agree with that statement. Patty will hire the coach(es) she believes will do the best job preparing the pitchers and catchers to continue to win at the top level.

Perhaps my point about Jessica wasn't clear. I have no way of knowing if she would make a great pitching coach, though I personally believe she would. Jessica played her college ball and learned the game from the absolute best. If she's not ready at this point to lead a D1 pitching staff, she likely never will be.
__________________
Sent from my MacMini using my left index finger.
scrybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:42 PM   #3257
MsProudSooner
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,458
Default Re: Softball

Does a pitching coach need to be a former pitcher? Was Melissa a former pitcher?
__________________
The pessimist may be right in the long run, but the optimist has a better time during the trip.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:52 PM   #3258
sybarite
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,622
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
Does a pitching coach need to be a former pitcher? Was Melissa a former pitcher?
Melissa was a catcher. The argument tends to be would a catcher not be preferable since they can also train the catchers. That is why Schults comes up.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:05 PM   #3259
Speedy17
Role Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 657
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
Melissa was a catcher. The argument tends to be would a catcher not be preferable since they can also train the catchers. That is why Schults comes up.
Yes, Lombardi coached both at OU for over two decades. Which means if OU hires a simple pitching coach then someone will have to coach the catchers. This makes the OU position unique.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:39 AM   #3260
sybarite
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,622
Default Re: Softball

USA Red beat Japan 10-5. Arioto hit three home runs. The team hit six home runs. They couldn't get a single if it killed them. Fortunately, they had power. Japan was serving up some younger players to prepare for the Olympics.

Japan beat USA Blue a day or so earlier by hitting a two-run home run off Lowary who had come on in relief. Blue didn't have the hitting to fight back.

Red started O'Toole, trying to develop someone other than Abbott. But, after Red took an early lead due to walks in the first inning, Japan kept fighting back. If we hit it on the ground, they got an out, sometimes two. We had some problems in that we kept making little mistakes that Japan didn't make. Never called them errors. But, we missed hops, while Japan didn't. We changed to Garcia and someone else. We brought in Ricketts who got us out of the fourth. In the fifth, the first two hitters got a seeing eye single and a scorching double off the left center wall. They threw out one player trying to score. They brought on Abbott who got one out. Then, Japan hit a shot over the centerfield fence to tie it at five. In the bottom of the fifth, Red hit two more home runs, before hitting a three-run shot in the sixth. Abbott held them off.

They are better in the field than we are. We have power. They are more consistent. And, they do have some power.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:48 AM   #3261
kimard
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 116
Default Re: Softball

Jennifer Rocha named associate head coach...

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=211735460
kimard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:34 AM   #3262
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 3,871
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy17 View Post
Yes, Lombardi coached both at OU for over two decades. Which means if OU hires a simple pitching coach then someone will have to coach the catchers. This makes the OU position unique.
I bit of a surprise with Rocha leaving Florida and coming to OU which I consider a homerun hire from a pitching coach perspective. But it does raise the question who is going to coach the catchers. Will it be JT, Jennifer or Patty?
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:10 PM   #3263
BoulderSooner
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 3,039
Default Re: Softball

absolute home run hire
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM   #3264
sybarite
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,622
Default Re: Softball

It may take a day or so for me to believe this. Meanwhile, who replaces Rocha?
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:36 AM   #3265
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 3,871
Default Re: Softball

Jennifer Rocha, OU's new pitching coach was envolved in 10 hitless games performed by the Florida pitching staff in 2018. Barnhill had 5 no hitters, Ocasio 2 and they combined for 2. Ocasio also combined with Lugo on a 10th no hitter.

https://www.alligator.org/sports/gat...a4e46b7ae.html
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:14 AM   #3266
scrybe
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,946
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
Jennifer Rocha, OU's new pitching coach was envolved in 10 hitless games performed by the Florida pitching staff in 2018. Barnhill had 5 no hitters, Ocasio 2 and they combined for 2. Ocasio also combined with Lugo on a 10th no hitter.

https://www.alligator.org/sports/gat...a4e46b7ae.html
Like most everyone else here, I believe Jen Rocha was a homerun hire. And I'm sure she is the one most responsible for developing that great pitching staff at UF over the last several seasons. But it certainly didn't hurt that she has had some of the most talented pitchers to work with in all of college softball.

It also didn't hurt that Barnhill, Ocasio and company were pitching to some of the most overrated hitters in the country in conference play. Of course it could also be that SEC hitters really are good, but simply choke when they get to the WCWS.
__________________
Sent from my MacMini using my left index finger.
scrybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #3267
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 3,871
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe View Post
Like most everyone else here, I believe Jen Rocha was a homerun hire. And I'm sure she is the one most responsible for developing that great pitching staff at UF over the last several seasons. But it certainly didn't hurt that she has had some of the most talented pitchers to work with in all of college softball.

It also didn't hurt that Barnhill, Ocasio and company were pitching to some of the most overrated hitters in the country in conference play. Of course it could also be that SEC hitters really are good, but simply choke when they get to the WCWS.
I agree that 2018 was a down year for the SEC despite their getting two teams in the WCWS with neither Georgia or Florida doing well. But during the last 8 seasons the SEC have had the most teams make the finals (8), the most teams make the WCWS (24) and the most won national championships (3) tied with OU/Big 12.

You don't make the WCWS, the finals or win the championship without being able to hit the ball, have strong pitching and quality defense. It takes a quality team to make the tournament it just is what it is.
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:01 PM   #3268
scrybe
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,946
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
I agree that 2018 was a down year for the SEC despite their getting two teams in the WCWS with neither Georgia or Florida doing well. But during the last 8 seasons the SEC have had the most teams make the finals (8), the most teams make the WCWS (24) and the most won national championships (3) tied with OU/Big 12.

You don't make the WCWS, the finals or win the championship without being able to hit the ball, have strong pitching and quality defense. It takes a quality team to make the tournament it just is what it is.
No argument here, Spock, on the "quality team" statement. I'm just saying hitting in the SEC has been vastly overrated, especially over the last 4-5 years.

And I'll always believe the conference as a whole is overrated. There's Florida, Bama, Tennessee, Auburn, and occasionally one other team that can compete with anybody. Then there's a bunch of also-rans whose reputations are built solely on their membership in the mighty SEC. I can't think of more than one season in the last six that Oklahoma would not have won the conference title if they played in that Paper Tiger league. And Baylor would likely have finished in the top three just as often.

With Mike White's hiring at UT and OSU's recent success in recruiting high schoolers and bringing in top transfers, I predict SEC stock will continue to drop significantly.
__________________
Sent from my MacMini using my left index finger.
scrybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:20 PM   #3269
sybarite
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,622
Default Re: Softball

This has been a running argument. I think that in a typical year in the past ten years, the SEC has had maybe one of the top four teams in the country. I think the only teams that should have won were the Florida teams (I'm still not accepting the rain game loss).

I think the rest of the qualifiers are primarily because they don't rate the rpi properly for home/road scheduling, and the SEC ends up with a lot of home super-regionals. In the typical year, what would have happened if LSU had played a Baylor, Arizona, Arizona State UCLA, or Michigan in Waco, Tempe, Tucson, LA, or Ann Arbor? Would LSU have survived play a super on the road? I doubt most SEC teams would survive on the road if they had to qualify on the road for the CWS. I strongly suspect that over half of the SEC qualifiers of the past ten years would have been replaced. They just weren't that good. Florida barely beat OSU in Gainesville a year ago.

I want that rpi adjusted.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:44 PM   #3270
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 3,871
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe View Post
No argument here, Spock, on the "quality team" statement. I'm just saying hitting in the SEC has been vastly overrated, especially over the last 4-5 years.

And I'll always believe the conference as a whole is overrated. There's Florida, Bama, Tennessee, Auburn, and occasionally one other team that can compete with anybody. Then there's a bunch of also-rans whose reputations are built solely on their membership in the mighty SEC. I can't think of more than one season in the last six that Oklahoma would not have won the conference title if they played in that Paper Tiger league. And Baylor would likely have finished in the top three just as often.

With Mike White's hiring at UT and OSU's recent success in recruiting high schoolers and bringing in top transfers, I predict SEC stock will continue to drop significantly.
I don't know that I agree that the SEC stock is going to drop much nor does eight different SEC schools making the WCWS the last 8 years indicate conference weakness except at the top. They are Florida (6 times), Alabama (5), LSU (4), Tennessee (3), Auburn (2), Georgia (2) Kentucky (1) and A&M (1). Note that 6 schools have been to the Series multiple years. That is not only depth but team consistency.
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:19 PM   #3271
Speedy17
Role Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 657
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
This has been a running argument. I think that in a typical year in the past ten years, the SEC has had maybe one of the top four teams in the country. I think the only teams that should have won were the Florida teams (I'm still not accepting the rain game loss).

I think the rest of the qualifiers are primarily because they don't rate the rpi properly for home/road scheduling, and the SEC ends up with a lot of home super-regionals. In the typical year, what would have happened if LSU had played a Baylor, Arizona, Arizona State UCLA, or Michigan in Waco, Tempe, Tucson, LA, or Ann Arbor? Would LSU have survived play a super on the road? I doubt most SEC teams would survive on the road if they had to qualify on the road for the CWS. I strongly suspect that over half of the SEC qualifiers of the past ten years would have been replaced. They just weren't that good. Florida barely beat OSU in Gainesville a year ago.

I want that rpi adjusted.
LSU is a bad example. In 2017, they beat Florida State in the Supers in Tallahassee. In 2016, they beat James Madison in the Supers in Harrisonburg, VA. And this year, they lost in Tallahassee in three games in which for some reason the NCAA forced them to play a doubleheader on the road.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:26 PM   #3272
scrybe
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,946
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
I don't know that I agree that the SEC stock is going to drop much nor does eight different SEC schools making the WCWS the last 8 years indicate conference weakness except at the top. They are Florida (6 times), Alabama (5), LSU (4), Tennessee (3), Auburn (2), Georgia (2) Kentucky (1) and A&M (1). Note that 6 schools have been to the Series multiple years. That is not only depth but team consistency.
Damn, Spock. How can SEC teams NOT make the WCWS when every one of them receive bids to the tournament and several get Top 8 seeds?
__________________
Sent from my MacMini using my left index finger.
scrybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:50 PM   #3273
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 3,871
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe View Post
Damn, Spock. How can SEC teams NOT make the WCWS when every one of them receive bids to the tournament and several get Top 8 seeds?
They receive the bids because they earn them on the field. In 2018 they were down and and only two teams made the tournament and the Pac 12 was up and it was the Pac 12 that got the most bids. For certain this year there were no one from the other conferences that were more deserving that didn't get a bid to the tournament. For certain OSU, Baylor and Texas were seeded appropriately.

In recent years I can think of Minnesota taking the shaft in the seedings but name 3 other teams in the last 4 years that were screwed by the selection committee. I am not talking about a team that may have been seeded -3 positions lower than you thought they should have been. Everyone has one of those including a multitude of SEC fans that are dissatisfied with their teams seedings.
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 07-24-2018 at 05:52 PM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:34 PM   #3274
sybarite
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,622
Default Re: Softball

[quote=SoonerSpock;608030]They receive the bids because they earn them on the field. QUOTE]You believe that.. A good number of us do not.

Therein lies the constant "discussion."
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:04 PM   #3275
sooner8693
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 275
Default Re: Softball

Heard P. Gasso on the radio with J. Hale say Keilani Ricketts will be joining her staff in January.
sooner8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com