ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

View Poll Results: Do you want OU to change coaches?
Yes 26 50.00%
No 26 50.00%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2019, 12:25 PM   #1
thebigabd
National Champion

Default Do you want OU to move in another direction?

Poll.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:58 PM   #2
sperry
All-American

Default Re: Do you want OU to move in another direction?

For those voting no: why do you want to retain a 67 year old coach who is not performing to expectations. What is the end game? Do you want Lon around into his 70s?
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:08 PM   #3
tmeyer3307
Walk-on

I think Lon has earned one more year. This year was a pretty solid year with the roster he had. He has a nice group coming in next year, so I say give him one more chance.
tmeyer3307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:42 PM   #4
thewez
Walk-on

I've heard Joe C is pretty excited about next year. Maybe this isn't the question, but Lon is definitely going to be here next year. If they disappoint again, then I think it's a possibility.
thewez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:43 PM   #5
thewez
Walk-on

Also, if we make the tournament, didn't he outdo most of our expectations from the start of the year? I don't think many were confident we'd make it this season
Old 03-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #6
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewez View Post
Also, if we make the tournament, didn't he outdo most of our expectations from the start of the year? I don't think many were confident we'd make it this season
Thatís all forgotten... lol
CoachTalk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:57 PM   #7
thewez
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Thatís all forgotten... lol
I've been going back to try to find some of the predictions from this board in the preseason. My favorites have been the talk about being under .500 in the non con because we scheduled way too hard
Old 03-14-2019, 03:08 PM   #8
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewez View Post
I've been going back to try to find some of the predictions from this board in the preseason. My favorites have been the talk about being under .500 in the non con because we scheduled way too hard
Well we didn't know Florida, Northwestern, and some of the others would turn out to suck.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:29 PM   #9
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeyer3307 View Post
I think Lon has earned one more year. This year was a pretty solid year with the roster he had. He has a nice group coming in next year, so I say give him one more chance.
That's a weird way to look at this...

He is responsible for the roster he had. This year, last year, the year before that. You make it sound like "well, he got dealt a bad hand and did a decent job"...

He made indefensible recruiting mistakes that put the program in this position.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:59 PM   #10
stormspencer
Sweet 16

He deserves and gets another year. But this incoming class better be every bit as good as a few on here are saying. If we are barely above average again next year....then it's time to go a different direction. I've been pretty hard on him at times this year, but I'm rooting for him to get us back to being competitive against the top tier in our conference.

Lon is a great guy and ambassador, so if the higher ups do decide to make a change after next year, then I hope that they would give him a chance to go out on his terms.....and possibly reassign him within the Athletic Department if he would want to do that.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:28 PM   #11
thewez
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
Well we didn't know Florida, Northwestern, and some of the others would turn out to suck.
Even so, that non con slate is what is going to get us in the dance
Old 03-14-2019, 04:31 PM   #12
steverocks35
All-American

I have just been scratching my head almost every game because of the substitution patterns. Why would you ever have Freeman and Reynolds playing long stretches in the second half of a close game? (I give him a pass on Calixte who can heat up and make some shots at least)
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:21 PM   #13
BCSooners
All-Conference

Quote:
That's a weird way to look at this...

He is responsible for the roster he had. This year, last year, the year before that. You make it sound like "well, he got dealt a bad hand and did a decent job"...

He made indefensible recruiting mistakes that put the program in this position.
Young,McGusty, & McNeace were supposed to be on this roster. Had to patch it with 2 guys who aren't nearly as talented, although at least they play hard.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:51 PM   #14
Soonerinkc
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormspencer View Post
He deserves and gets another year. But this incoming class better be every bit as good as a few on here are saying. If we are barely above average again next year....then it's time to go a different direction. I've been pretty hard on him at times this year, but I'm rooting for him to get us back to being competitive against the top tier in our conference.

Lon is a great guy and ambassador, so if the higher ups do decide to make a change after next year, then I hope that they would give him a chance to go out on his terms.....and possibly reassign him within the Athletic Department if he would want to do that.
Why reassign him...he doesn't need a fricking job...he's made more money coaching in 5 yrs at OU than most of us will in our lifetime...why waste the $.
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:53 PM   #15
Soonerinkc
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
I have just been scratching my head almost every game because of the substitution patterns. Why would you ever have Freeman and Reynolds playing long stretches in the second half of a close game? (I give him a pass on Calixte who can heat up and make some shots at least)
Yeah...or taking out 3 starters...sub maybe 1 or 2...i would have always had at least 3 starters out there...
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:58 PM   #16
All-American

Why Joe C. Is happy is because Kruger isn’t going to get OU caught up in these recruiting scandals and because he is a wonderful human and a solid coach. But, he obviously isn’t the long term solution because he is 67, so should OU give Kruger 3 or 4 years and then let him retire or cut bait now and get a new coach. I think Kruger will get at least 2 more years.
152219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:00 PM   #17
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
I agree. And Calixte is a ball hog and it is gotten worse as his minutes have waned. Instead of learning to play within the system, he tries to get his as quickly as he can. He has to play because Bieniemy needs a breather.
152219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:17 PM   #18
stormspencer
Sweet 16

Talking Re: Do you want OU to move in another direction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerinkc View Post
Why reassign him...he doesn't need a fricking job...he's made more money coaching in 5 yrs at OU than most of us will in our lifetime...why waste the $.
I think he is a good ambassador like I mentioned. And to still have him associated with the program could be a positive. And more importantly, I was being polite.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:14 PM   #19
61sooner
Walk-on

How will the other posters feel if OU DOESN'T make the NCAAs about retaining Lon?
61sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:16 PM   #20
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
Young,McGusty, & McNeace were supposed to be on this roster. Had to patch it with 2 guys who aren't nearly as talented, although at least they play hard.
Everyone had transfers and early pros.. hell luck at the big injuries this year... yet they can win.. we can't...

Manic Manek
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:33 PM   #21
WichitaSooner
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
How will the other posters feel if OU DOESN'T make the NCAAs about retaining Lon?
Well it's like asking how I'll feel if I see the tooth fairy. Very surprised. But if it happens, I sure won't ignore the fact that I was wrong. And I'll acknowledge that it increases the pressure to get something done next season
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:54 PM   #22
Ghost of Gar Heard
Role Player

Quote:
Florida is a tournament team.
Ghost of Gar Heard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:20 PM   #23
cvangild
Role Player

Wow! 23? What a joke!

Do some of you not remember how many seasons OU had under Kelvin where we finished like 17-12 and barely got in the tournament with a 10 or 13 seed?!

I guess since Tech also lost to WV, they should maybe fire Beard too??

SonLon takes us to the final four d then has a below expectations year...but then has 2 straight seasons where we win about 20 games, still get in the tournament...yet you still want to fire him?? Even when he just signed a top 20 recruiting class!?

Would you guys rather have the weasel at LSU? A guy who obviously cheats...yet still thinks he should be able to coach.

No thanks.
cvangild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:42 PM   #24
Maverick008
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvangild View Post
Wow! 23? What a joke!

Do some of you not remember how many seasons OU had under Kelvin where we finished like 17-12 and barely got in the tournament with a 10 or 13 seed?!

I guess since Tech also lost to WV, they should maybe fire Beard too??

SonLon takes us to the final four d then has a below expectations year...but then has 2 straight seasons where we win about 20 games, still get in the tournament...yet you still want to fire him?? Even when he just signed a top 20 recruiting class!?

Would you guys rather have the weasel at LSU? A guy who obviously cheats...yet still thinks he should be able to coach.

No thanks.
Sampsonís last two years OU was 25-8 (3 seed) losing in the 2nd round to the 6 seed and followed that up going 20-9 (6 seed) (lost in the first round to the 11 seed). If Kruger did that, people would want him run out of town for under achieving in the tournament and yet a lot of guys on here are clamoring for Sampson to return.

Not to mention that a lot of folks have complained about the recruiting since the FF run for Kruger and how the program hasnít ďtaken offĒ....Following two highly successful years after OU went 31-5 and 27-7 under Sampson they went 20-11 and didnít make the tournament.

Funny how we forget some of those things and that having that type of success isnít always a yearly thing for every program.

IF he wants to come back next year, I find it hard to believe that Kruger wonít be allowed too given the recruiting class he has coming in. As most know/remember, when Sampson left, the highly touted class he had coming in all but fell a part leaving Capel to start over from scratch. If Kruger left now, I would imagine a very similar situation depending on who was brought in as head coach.
Maverick008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:45 PM   #25
BCSooners
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaustin View Post
Everyone had transfers and early pros.. hell luck at the big injuries this year... yet they can win.. we can't...
Yes OU did. You realize they are making the tournament? I wouldn't be defending another 20 loss season. The way a lot of people are acting it's as if we won't even be in the NIT.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote