ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 03-14-2019, 10:38 AM   #1
jaymOU
Role Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broken Arrow OK
Posts: 688
Default Next season

Was thinking about how LK likes to play and looking at next year's roster, it could be VERY interesting and encouraging.

If Doo develops 3-point range - he is literally a step away from that now - it would give OU three-point shooters at all 5 positions.

I envision the starters being:

PG - Harmon
SG - Reeves
SF - Bienemy
PF - Manek
C - Doolittle

With Williams as the sixth man and Kurath or one of the other JC bigs helping inside.

This is the kind of team LK's loves. Harmon should have plenty of room to get into the paint and we have seen Bienemy can do this as well and Doolittle.

Spreading the floor with Manek and Reeves and I think you could have something pretty good.

Color me optimistic - I know, probably should not be, but I am. I think OU could be top half of the conference maybe even top third next season.
jaymOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:47 AM   #2
BoulderSooner
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 3,430
Default Re: Next season

i completely agree
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:53 AM   #3
WichitaSooner
Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,481
Default Re: Next season

You guys are nuts, we will be lucky to avoid 0-31. And if we do win a couple along the way, it will be because the other team was injured or had someone suspended.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:03 AM   #4
Jccouger
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 155
Default Re: Next season

Harmon, Reeves & Bienemy have all been considered PGs at one time or another. Reeves probably the least of the 3.

Harmon & Bienemy kind of remind me of Woodard & Cousins during Cousins senior season. It was kind of assumed that Woodward would be the "pg" because he was smaller but ended up being more of the 2. I actually think Bienemy will remain our PG and Harmon will play more off the ball. At least getting in to our offense.

Bienemy's control of the game is outstanding for a freshman and it will only get better.

People are so fickle, he had one somewhat rough game and people will be on here saying he sucks which they already started in the WV game thread.
Jccouger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:09 AM   #5
WichitaSooner
Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,481
Default Re: Next season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jccouger View Post
Harmon, Reeves & Bienemy have all been considered PGs at one time or another. Reeves probably the least of the 3.

Harmon & Bienemy kind of remind me of Woodard & Cousins during Cousins senior season. It was kind of assumed that Woodward would be the "pg" because he was smaller but ended up being more of the 2. I actually think Bienemy will remain our PG and Harmon will play more off the ball. At least getting in to our offense.

Bienemy's control of the game is outstanding for a freshman and it will only get better.

People are so fickle, he had one somewhat rough game and people will be on here saying he sucks which they already started in the WV game thread.
And it was actually only a bad few minutes. He was great in the first half. Funny thing is, a few weeks ago people complained that he was too passive and needed to take more risks. As soon as he did and made a couple key mistakes, people were complaining about him being reckless. He is the least of my concerns going forward, and I agree that he will probably play more point than most expect next season.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:13 AM   #6
SoonerTraveler
Final Four
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,633
Default Re: Next season

I truly admire the optimism in this thread. I hope it is realized next season.
__________________
OU Baseball: 1951 & 1994 National Champions / 10 NCAA College World Series Appearances
SoonerTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:22 AM   #7
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 10,806
Default Re: Next season

PG: Trae Young (NCAA Player of the Year, NBA All-Star)
SG: Christian James (3-4 year starter)
SG: Kameron McGusty (top 100 player)
PF: Kristian Doolittle (Big 12's Most Improved Player)
PF: Brady Manek (All freshman team, climbing OU's career scoring list)

This team flamed out....

Top to bottom recruiting is the major issue, followed by coaching and attitude.

Next years starting 5 looks good... Will the other players contribute? Will Harmon play like a true freshman or come in like a Big 12 starter caliber player? Will they have good chemistry and mesh? Can they rebound the ball and defend? not all true freshman come in guns blazing. In fact, very few do.

Next years team can look good on paper, but it also can look very suspect.
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:26 AM   #8
BoulderSooner
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 3,430
Default Re: Next season

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
PG: Trae Young (NCAA Player of the Year, NBA All-Star)
SG: Christian James (3-4 year starter)
SG: Kameron McGusty (top 100 player)
PF: Kristian Doolittle (Big 12's Most Improved Player)
PF: Brady Manek (All freshman team, climbing OU's career scoring list)

This team flamed out....

Top to bottom recruiting is the major issue, followed by coaching and attitude.

Next years starting 5 looks good... Will the other players contribute? Will Harmon play like a true freshman or come in like a Big 12 starter caliber player? Will they have good chemistry and mesh? Can they rebound the ball and defend? not all true freshman come in guns blazing. In fact, very few do.

Next years team can look good on paper, but it also can look very suspect.

mcgusty was the #1 issue on last years team

doo was suspended from school last year in the first semester

and james came in to last year as a 1 year disapointing starter
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:29 AM   #9
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 10,806
Default Re: Next season

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
mcgusty was the #1 issue on last years team

doo was suspended from school last year in the first semester

and james came in to last year as a 1 year disapointing starter
I am saying that team looked redic BEFORE the season started, like next years, and it flamed out. In fact, it probably looked better than next years team because they had the best player in the country.
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:43 AM   #10
BoulderSooner
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 3,430
Default Re: Next season

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
I am saying that team looked redic BEFORE the season started, like next years, and it flamed out. In fact, it probably looked better than next years team because they had the best player in the country.
before the season started some of the guys you listed were massive ? marks ..


OU wasn't ranked preseason last year and was picked 6th in the preseason poll they finished 6th

Last edited by BoulderSooner; 03-14-2019 at 11:50 AM.
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:03 PM   #11
sperry
All-American
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,815
Default Re: Next season

We can't get away with the Manek/Doolittle frontcourt. We're doing it out of necessity now because we have no other option, but a big part of why we lost last night, for example, is we got murdered on the glass.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:05 PM   #12
BCSooners
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Enid, OK
Posts: 2,321
Default Re: Next season

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
We can't get away with the Manek/Doolittle frontcourt. We're doing it out of necessity now because we have no other option, but a big part of why we lost last night, for example, is we got murdered on the glass.
You can get away with it, just not for 30-32 mins every game. Gotta have a big to mix in with them while one of them rests.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:10 PM   #13
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 10,806
Default Re: Next season

WVU outrebounded us by 34 rebounds in 3 games... average of 11.3 boards per game. This is without their best player (Konate) and a total rebounding machine they have coming in next year.. OU has the same front-court next year.

We gave up 49 offensive rebounds in 3 games against them. 16.3 offensive rebounds per game given up.

Again, without their best player and a total rebounding freak of nature they have coming in next year.

In other words... they man-handled us this year. They are tougher... More physical... more relentless... The last place team in the league came in better coached, better prepared, and their guys were fighting to win and our guys weren't... Doolittle said it himself.
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES

Last edited by thebigabd; 03-14-2019 at 12:13 PM.
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:06 PM   #14
SuperHoops
Role Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 738
Default Re: Next season

Another thing to consider is that most Big 12 teams lose very little from their team via graduation. Tech and KSU will have some voids to fill but most of everybody else will have almost their entire teams back from this year unless there are a bunch of transfers out.
SuperHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:30 PM   #15
TheMont
Role Player
 
TheMont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 631
Default Re: Next season

The starting 5 looks great on paper, but we will have NO quality depth.
TheMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:35 PM   #16
WichitaSooner
Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,481
Default Re: Next season

I think we should just forfeit the season in advance. Just like it was obvious we were only going to win one more game this season as of mid-February, it is obvious we have no chance next season. Why bother playing the games?
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:45 PM   #17
sheepdogs1
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,554
Default Re: Next season

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
I think we should just forfeit the season in advance. Just like it was obvious we were only going to win one more game this season as of mid-February, it is obvious we have no chance next season. Why bother playing the games?
As hard as it might appear, grow up.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:49 PM   #18
oudna
All-American
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,966
Default Re: Next season

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
WVU outrebounded us by 34 rebounds in 3 games... average of 11.3 boards per game. This is without their best player (Konate) and a total rebounding machine they have coming in next year.. OU has the same front-court next year.

We gave up 49 offensive rebounds in 3 games against them. 16.3 offensive rebounds per game given up.

Again, without their best player and a total rebounding freak of nature they have coming in next year.

In other words... they man-handled us this year. They are tougher... More physical... more relentless... The last place team in the league came in better coached, better prepared, and their guys were fighting to win and our guys weren't... Doolittle said it himself.
Manek struggles boxing guys out
oudna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:44 PM   #19
WichitaSooner
Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,481
Default Re: Next season

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post
As hard as it might appear, grow up.
Tell ya what big guy -- since you have such a problem with me and insist on taking shots at me, why don't you send me a private message and save the rest of the board from it? You try so hard to make obscure references and use ten-cent words to make yourself seem smart, and reply to almost everything I post in a personal way even though my remarks have nothing to do with you. If you want to engage in any type of a real conversation with me, I'd welcome it. But something tells me you'll stick to your juvenile way of trying to call me out just because you don't agree with my opinions about our basketball team.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:19 PM   #20
sheepdogs1
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,554
Default Re: Next season

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Tell ya what big guy -- since you have such a problem with me and insist on taking shots at me, why don't you send me a private message and save the rest of the board from it? You try so hard to make obscure references and use ten-cent words to make yourself seem smart, and reply to almost everything I post in a personal way even though my remarks have nothing to do with you. If you want to engage in any type of a real conversation with me, I'd welcome it. But something tells me you'll stick to your juvenile way of trying to call me out just because you don't agree with my opinions about our basketball team.

It has nothing to do with your basketball opinion, so let's get that straight. What is has to do with is your demeaning and overtly condescending behavior to anyone who doesn't accept your viewpoint hook, line and sinker as gospel. The only things in reality which run through you are breakfast, lunch and dinner. Period. Your comment regarding how, we as fans, should just forfeit the season before the first shot is taken qualifies as an adult response? Only in your convoluted world.

Last edited by sheepdogs1; 03-14-2019 at 03:23 PM.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:40 PM   #21
WichitaSooner
Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,481
Default Re: Next season

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post
It has nothing to do with your basketball opinion, so let's get that straight. What is has to do with is your demeaning and overtly condescending behavior to anyone who doesn't accept your viewpoint hook, line and sinker as gospel. The only things in reality which run through you are breakfast, lunch and dinner. Period. Your comment regarding how, we as fans, should just forfeit the season before the first shot is taken qualifies as an adult response? Only in your convoluted world.
There are plenty of people on here that I disagree with yet always respect their opinions because they are logical, sincerely held, and not based on ridiculous overreactions and exaggerations (fire the coach, the players all lack talent, our program is a disgrace, etc). For example, I don't agree with Bigabd about recruiting jucos, but I know that he legitimately believes that and isn't posting it just to troll. But I absolutely will point it out when people let their agenda blind them to facts. Facts about Lon's record, facts about the selection process, facts about how we compare to other programs, facts about how the Big 12 is rated by every metric that exists. Likewise, if people are going to constantly change their position to try to justify their desired outcome, that is fair game to point out. So when a month ago people in the "Lon must go" camp were relying heavily on the assumption that we were going to miss the tourney for the second time in three years, and not approach 20 wins, and now come back with "well, ok, we will probably make it, but barely, and only because the bubble is weak and the criteria are stupid," it doesn't make me arrogant to point that out.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:42 PM   #22
mict085
Role Player
 
mict085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 806
Default Re: Next season

I donít think next years team will be all that much better. I do think we have some nice players coming in, but I still think theyíll finish outside the top 5 in big12. Theyíll make the tourney, hopefully, but nothing more.

I love Kruger and think heís a great guy but he should retire. OU should begin the process of identifying the next OU head coach. Iím ready to move on from Kruger, but I understand thatís not happening. Although, he should be replaced within 2 years.

This team is soft and weak minded. Itís disgusting.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:31 PM   #23
thewez
Walk-on
 
thewez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: KC, Missouri
Posts: 256
Default Re: Next season

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
I donít think next years team will be all that much better. I do think we have some nice players coming in, but I still think theyíll finish outside the top 5 in big12. Theyíll make the tourney, hopefully, but nothing more.

I love Kruger and think heís a great guy but he should retire. OU should begin the process of identifying the next OU head coach. Iím ready to move on from Kruger, but I understand thatís not happening. Although, he should be replaced within 2 years.

This team is soft and weak minded. Itís disgusting.
I don't understand how you don't think we will be better. Are we really losing much contribution? James plays a lot, but I don't think he's a game changer. I think we can agree Calixte, Reynolds, and McNeace have been disappointments.

I guess if you are down on Harmon, Reeves, Kuath, Hill and the rest then you could make that argument. I just have a hard time believing that group won't be an improvement on what we are losing
thewez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:59 PM   #24
Soonerinkc
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,220
Default Re: Next season

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
I think we should just forfeit the season in advance. Just like it was obvious we were only going to win one more game this season as of mid-February, it is obvious we have no chance next season. Why bother playing the games?
Ok wichita....what's your prediction in the b12 alone? Hell...not even record...top 3, middle 3 bottom 4?

Considering what other teams have coming back (as of now, since it is now we are talking)..

Im going with bottom 4 again.
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:02 PM   #25
152219
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,545
Default Re: Next season

Quote:
Originally Posted by oudna View Post
Manek struggles boxing guys out
There was one late in the game in which he blocked his guy out finally and then he didnít even jump and the ball went over his head, the ball was rebounded by WVU, and then they scored. My wife and I nearly lost our minds.
152219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com