ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 03-14-2019, 10:37 AM   #51
WTSooner
National Champion

Default Re: Lon is 2-8 all time in the Big 12 Tourney

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
next year will be the most talented roster of the kruger era
You can keep saying that, but taking experience and stuff into account, it simply will not be true. I don't give a crap about a 4* freshman when compared to Buddy, Cousins, and Spangler as seniors. That's just silly.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:39 AM   #52
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
big conf rating under the last 3 coaches no good data pre big 12
96-97 2nd best conf
97-98 8th best conf
98-99 7th best conf
99-00 7th best conf
00-01 6th best conf
01-02 3rd best conf
02-03 best conf
03-04 8th best conf
04-05 3rd best conf
05-06 5th best conf
06-07 7th best conf
07-08 2nd best conf
08-09 3rd best conf
09-10 best conf
10-11 3rd best conf
11-12 3rd best conf
12-13 5th best conf
13-14 best conf
14-15 best conf
15-16 best conf
16-17 2nd best conf
17-18 best conf
18-19 best conf

Kelvin average 5th best conf Capel average 3.2 best conf kruger average 1.8 best conf and 1.17 the last 6 years

kelvin feasted on a much easier conf
I don't give a crap about those ratings. They are not reflective of reality. Like I already told you, all it really means is that our bad teams are better than the bad teams in other conferences. Does. Not. Matter. If you are really trying to tell me that the Big 12 is easily the best conference over the last 6 years, you are a lost cause. Again, it's a flawed way to measure conference strength.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:40 AM   #53
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
No i can argue your point, out side of 2 years, lon has had teams below the standard of OU. Including the only 20 loss team in OU history. We as a program are better than that. 12.5% of the time he is at the standard of the proram, 12.5% he exceeded it, 75% he is below it including one of the worst seasons ever at OU. IF you had those results at your job you would be fired.
Exactly. Those are cold hard facts.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:41 AM   #54
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
73% winning Percentage
67% conference winning percentage
Average finish in Conference 3
Win the conference 20% of the time
Win the conference tournament 20% of the time
out of the 1st round of the NCAA tournament 50% of the time (Including season where OU is in the NIT)
1 season of no post season at all

Like we had under Billy and Kelvin

Under Lon

60% winning percentage
50% conference winning percentage
Average finish in Conference 5
Win the conference 0% of the time
Win the conference tournament 0% of the time
out of the first round 25% of the time
2 seasons of no post season at all
of course they coached in a different era in a much easier conf and didn't have to start at a point of total rebuild ...
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:42 AM   #55
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
I don't give a crap about those ratings. They are not reflective of reality. Like I already told you, all it really means is that our bad teams are better than the bad teams in other conferences. Does. Not. Matter. If you are really trying to tell me that the Big 12 is easily the best conference over the last 6 years, you are a lost cause. Again, it's a flawed way to measure conference strength.
no hard facts are telling you that not random opinion
Old 03-14-2019, 10:43 AM   #56
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
While I agree the top half of the conference was every bit as tough 10, 15, 20 years ago as today (perhaps even slightly better), there were also some "gimmes" we could count on (ex: aTm under Melvin Watkins, early years of Scott Drew at Baylor, plus Colorado and Nebraska most years). As such, the bottom half is much better today than it was back then.

I'm extremely disappointed we could not take care of business and beat WVU last night. I'm not ready to move on from Coach Kruger (though I wish he upgraded his assistants), but acknowledge that he may be on the hot seat next year if we have to keep sweating out Selection Sunday. Like you and others have pointed out, our program is better than that.
OU also didn't have to play several of the better teams twice a year
Old 03-14-2019, 10:43 AM   #57
Max Power
Elite Eight

Quote:
of course they coached in a different era in a much easier conf and didn't have to start at a point of total rebuild ...
well if you want to talk about total rebuild, then how do you explain years 6, 7, & 8 under lon? Year 6 is the only 20 loss season ever at OU. Whose mess is he cleaning up?

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:48 AM   #58
WichitaSooner
Starter

Quote:
no hard facts are telling you that not random opinion
But don't you understand, WT knows far more when it comes to ranking college basketball conferences than the people who do it for a living! Also, is it really that difficult for people to understand what you are saying when you refer to the "talent" on next year's roster? It is unreal that people can't understand that "experience or stuff" isn't relevant in assessing pure talent. Boulder has never said that next year's team will be better than the 2016 FF team. How that concept gets continually missed is beyond me.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:50 AM   #59
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
well if you want to talk about total rebuild, then how do you explain years 6, 7, & 8 under lon? Year 6 is the only 20 loss season ever at OU. Whose mess is he cleaning up?
years 7 and 8 OU is going the tourney

year 6 OU had a couple of recruiting misses that hurt the team and hurt the season

Lon has had 1 bad year as coach of OU and it was year 6 ... OU is now back on the full up swing ..
Old 03-14-2019, 10:50 AM   #60
WichitaSooner
Starter

Quote:
My response would be that years 7 and 8 ended in the NCAA tournament and were not total rebuilds. As for year 6, we sucked. Had the kind of season that everyone but blue bloods has occasionally. Fortunately, we have them far less often than most programs. If that happened on a regular basis, sure, Lon shouldn't last long. But since we have had no other season like that, it's anything but a trend.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:42 AM   #61
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
You can keep saying that, but taking experience and stuff into account, it simply will not be true. I don't give a crap about a 4* freshman when compared to Buddy, Cousins, and Spangler as seniors. That's just silly.
Ive tried to argue this to him and he doesn't agree bc our bench was james and the juco guard.. it makes no sense. But it'll be fun to watch kruger go 19-13 next year prolly with his most "talented roster"... i pray it doesn't happen and we go 25-7ish but no basis to hope for that

He really does a disservice to how special hield/cousins/woodard/spangler were posting that

Manic Manek
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:44 AM   #62
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
But don't you understand, WT knows far more when it comes to ranking college basketball conferences than the people who do it for a living! Also, is it really that difficult for people to understand what you are saying when you refer to the "talent" on next year's roster? It is unreal that people can't understand that "experience or stuff" isn't relevant in assessing pure talent. Boulder has never said that next year's team will be better than the 2016 FF team. How that concept gets continually missed is beyond me.
Well i love the osu little brother defeatist mentality that bc the conference hard, we can't win games... Wtf not??

Manic Manek
Old 03-14-2019, 12:22 PM   #63
MrAnderson
Walk-on

Quote:
years 7 and 8 OU is going the tourney

year 6 OU had a couple of recruiting misses that hurt the team and hurt the season

Lon has had 1 bad year as coach of OU and it was year 6 ... OU is now back on the full up swing ..
You call the last two years "full upswing?" 6 games below .500 in conference, 0-3 record in KC/NCAA, likely a double digit seed in the dance both years...

Is this how far we've fallen under lon where these results are considered a smashing success?
MrAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:07 PM   #64
Sooner04
All-Conference

Is the bottom of the conference so much better because we are now part of the bottom of the conference?
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:12 PM   #65
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
You call the last two years "full upswing?" 6 games below .500 in conference, 0-3 record in KC/NCAA, likely a double digit seed in the dance both years...

Is this how far we've fallen under lon where these results are considered a smashing success?
Yes. Damn pc culture. The players should get a trophy for making it as a 10 seed! Yippee

Manic Manek
Old 03-14-2019, 01:14 PM   #66
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
Is the bottom of the conference so much better because we are now part of the bottom of the conference?
Right? Betas i guess gonna beta. I want ou to compete for championships.. but whatever. Whewww 7th place!! 10 seeeed!!

Manic Manek
Old 03-14-2019, 01:38 PM   #67
WichitaSooner
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaustin View Post
Well i love the osu little brother defeatist mentality that bc the conference hard, we can't win games... Wtf not??
This might be the most obvious use of a strawman ever. So, I guess congratulations are in order? Where did I say, hint, imply, suggest, or otherwise indicate that we can't win games? I said, as did Boulder, that the strength of the conference is relevant in assessing things . . . a pretty noncontroversial statement, to everyone who doesn't turn it into something else.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:52 PM   #68
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
This might be the most obvious use of a strawman ever. So, I guess congratulations are in order? Where did I say, hint, imply, suggest, or otherwise indicate that we can't win games? I said, as did Boulder, that the strength of the conference is relevant in assessing things . . . a pretty noncontroversial statement, to everyone who doesn't turn it into something else.
I guess i just disagree. We should be top 4 every season in any conference pretty much. Its not a valid excuse in my opinion to be 7th

Manic Manek