ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 03-11-2019, 12:59 PM   #51
CoachTalk
Final Four

Default Re: Manek

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Here are some actual actual facts for you:

Got Better (total of six categories)
Points per game, FTs per game, FT percentage, rebounds, steals, assists

Stayed the Same (four categories)
FGs per game, 3pt FGs per game, turnovers, blocks

Got Worse (two categories)
FG% (47% in 2018, 46% in 2019), 3pt FG% (38%/35%)

And it shouldn't be overlooked that he was asked to play a very different role this season than last. He was brought in as a stretch four but was asked to be a more traditional four this season.
Thanks
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:14 PM   #52
skyvue
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by oudna View Post
Go take a midol.
By the way, your approach to insults needs some work. You seem to think I'd be insulted by being compared to a woman. Midol? Princess? Please join us in the 21st century.

The women I know and love are among the strongest people I know and the one poster on this board that I know is a woman (there may be others) is one of the posters I most respect.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:22 PM   #53
sheepdogs1
Sweet 16

Quote:
By the way, your approach to insults needs some work. You seem to think I'd be insulted by being compared to a woman. Midol? Princess? Please join us in the 21st century.

The women I know and love are among the strongest people I know and the one poster on this board that I know is a woman (there may be others) is one of the posters I most respect.
Women generally like being compared to men? He wasn't comparing you to any woman or do you believe he was comparing you to the woman you most want to be compared to? Most people would say that was not the case, obviously.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:35 PM   #54
stormspencer
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Soonerfan View Post
This would be my biggest criticism too. We see it too many times a game from him. My next would be that there are usually 3-5 possessions a game where he's shooting a 3 or long jumper, no matter what happens. You just know when he's getting the ball, whether he's covered or not, he's shooting. Period. I think sometimes the first criticism can play directly into the second one.

Brady will be a four-year starter for this team, and he will deserve it. He'll leave Norman as one of the more consistent four-year big men we will have had in recent memory. None of that means he can't be criticized and/or get better at things that aren't measure statistically. And what some of us are criticizing isn't too much to ask for. It's as much about growing up (on the court) as anything. It's not about practicing harder, working harder, or any of that, it's about simply playing smarter and with more focus.
Well said.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:39 PM   #55
coolm
National Champion

I thought his game has progressed rather well. He seems a little emotionally frail at times ... but he's still a kid. Their minds aren't mature til 26-28 or so. Still all about emotion and hormones right now.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:57 PM   #56
oudna
All-American

Quote:
Here are some actual actual facts for you:

Got Better (total of six categories)
Points per game, FTs per game, FT percentage, rebounds, steals, assists

Stayed the Same (four categories)
FGs per game, 3pt FGs per game, turnovers, blocks

Got Worse (two categories)
FG% (47% in 2018, 46% in 2019), 3pt FG% (38%/35%)

And it shouldn't be overlooked that he was asked to play a very different role this season than last. He was brought in as a stretch four but was asked to be a more traditional four this season.
Turnovers “stayed the same”? They actually doubled.

He was virtually the same player in the Per 100 stats. Little better rebounder, a little worse with the ball.

Hope he takes a leap in year 3.
oudna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:59 PM   #57
oudna
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Yeah, the idea that Manek sucks is ridiculous.
Not only ridiculous but completely made-up.
oudna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:20 PM   #58
steverocks35
All-American

I have mixed feelings about Manek. Is he a good Big 12 player and a definite 4 year starter for our team? Yes. Would he be better if he hustled more, fought more for rebounds, dove for loose balls, and pouted less? Absolutely.

He definitely does not suck, and he can certainly work on those weaknesses, they have nothing to do with talent.
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:25 PM   #59
sheepdogs1
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolm View Post
I thought his game has progressed rather well. He seems a little emotionally frail at times ... but he's still a kid. Their minds aren't mature til 26-28 or so. Still all about emotion and hormones right now.
Chances are he is being compared to other players on the team, who are basically the same age, as well as having the same team goals.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:10 PM   #60
vbdad
Role Player

I personally think Brady has been a better overall player this year. I'm not doing the research but I think he had a much bigger non conference scoring average last year. He was really stroking the ball early that season and of course TY was getting him a bunch of wide open looks.

Brady clearly needs to continue to gain strength. On our team he has to play against physical guys. He wears down from the constant pushing. Sky is correct in that he was sick and lost a bunch of weight. He played through very high temperatures and his stats were bad those two weeks. He lost weight and stamina which has continued to affect him.

He is a good jumper but he isn't a gifted athlete. He is slow.

He is a very good shooter who is to hard on himself but he will hit open shots. He isn't a big creator but I think this will be better if we get more threats around him next year. We didn't have guys who can create their own shot. Doo did it at the end of the year.

He works very hard and is a great kid. He will be more improved next year. I truly believe as he continues to add muscle he will be a very good player maybe even all conference as a senior.

I would vote him the second best player behind Doo. CJ had better numbers but I'm betting they were similar in conference play.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:41 PM   #61
WichitaSooner
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbdad View Post
I personally think Brady has been a better overall player this year. I'm not doing the research but I think he had a much bigger non conference scoring average last year. He was really stroking the ball early that season and of course TY was getting him a bunch of wide open looks.

Brady clearly needs to continue to gain strength. On our team he has to play against physical guys. He wears down from the constant pushing. Sky is correct in that he was sick and lost a bunch of weight. He played through very high temperatures and his stats were bad those two weeks. He lost weight and stamina which has continued to affect him.

He is a good jumper but he isn't a gifted athlete. He is slow.

He is a very good shooter who is to hard on himself but he will hit open shots. He isn't a big creator but I think this will be better if we get more threats around him next year. We didn't have guys who can create their own shot. Doo did it at the end of the year.

He works very hard and is a great kid. He will be more improved next year. I truly believe as he continues to add muscle he will be a very good player maybe even all conference as a senior.

I would vote him the second best player behind Doo. CJ had better numbers but I'm betting they were similar in conference play.
Absolutely spot on. I'd add that for all the talk by some that this team doesn't have guys who put in the work, the staff has repeatedly said that this is a great practice team with a great attitude. They definitely didn't say that last season. Whatever our issues are this season, I'm confident that effort isn't the problem, for Manek or others.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:37 AM   #62
skyvue
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbdad View Post
CJ scored a bit more than Manek, but he played more minutes, too. Manek shot a better percentage, overall and from three.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:25 AM   #63
TheMont
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post
Women generally like being compared to men? He wasn't comparing you to any woman or do you believe he was comparing you to the woman you most want to be compared to? Most people would say that was not the case, obviously.
I'm a woman (there's more on this site than you might think) and I can confirm that telling Sky to take a Midol IS offensive. It's insinuating that showing any emotion/passion whatsoever is taboo and only done by women on their period (and should be medicated, for that matter). It's antiquated as hell.

By the way, this thread itself is about a man who cried after getting ejected from a game, something I can't recall any of OU's female student athletes ever doing.
TheMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:46 AM   #64
euphguy
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMont View Post
I'm a woman (there's more on this site than you might think) and I can confirm that telling Sky to take a Midol IS offensive. It's insinuating that showing any emotion/passion whatsoever is taboo and only done by women on their period (and should be medicated, for that matter). It's antiquated as hell.

By the way, this thread itself is about a man who cried after getting ejected from a game, something I can't recall any of OU's female student athletes ever doing.
+1
euphguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:49 AM   #65
sheepdogs1
Sweet 16

Quote:

Not understanding the part about there's more women than I think for I never made the implication either way. Secondly, the point I was making was one where the insinuation made was not one where the person it was directed to gets to pick and choose which women he is being compared to and nothing else.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:33 AM   #66
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Advanced stats say that he is a better player this season

higher PER and higher Winshares (mostly because he DWS is much much higher)
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:07 AM   #67
coolm
National Champion

Quote:
It's insinuating that showing any emotion/passion whatsoever is taboo and only done by women on their period (and should be medicated, for that matter). It's antiquated as hell.

I find offense as an emotional old man. We have emotions and there's nothing wrong with that. stow the masculine BS.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:52 AM   #68
Eielson
Starter

There's an easy case to be made that Manek has improved, but it's not statistical. He gets a few more minutes this year, but beyond that his season statistics are almost identical.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:49 PM   #69
oukyle
Walk-on

Anyone that thinks Manek sucks or doesn't belong is delusional or is just being needlessly abrasive. I am disappointed that his improvement this season has not been more significant - he has basically played a similar season to last year, when we all expected to see significant improvement. He played 15% more minutes and his rebounds and points increased only incrementally upon the minutes played, rather than seeing actual increases of him being "better". Also, his FG% and 3P% are down from last year.

We should have seen much bigger jumps from him in production and efficiency. Here's to hoping we see that next year, because he certainly has the talent.
oukyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #70
Darwin
Role Player

Sophomore slump is a common term for a reason. Brady may have slumped early season but worked thru it better than many. I think his future is very bright especially with more talent around him.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:52 PM   #71
Eielson
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oukyle View Post
Anyone that thinks Manek sucks or doesn't belong is delusional or is just being needlessly abrasive.
Is anybody saying that?
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:57 PM   #72
sheepdogs1
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
Is anybody saying that?
Lets leave Pandora's box on the shelf to collect dust.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:28 PM   #73
stormspencer
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
Is anybody saying that?
Exactly. There are a select few on here who love to reach for that strawman anytime a player's strengths and weaknesses are being critiqued....it's a sensitivity issue I guess.

As for Manek....he is a good player. His shot is fine, but in order to become more of a presence down low (when he has to play there), it would do him good to add some weight. I don't think he needs to gain 25-30 lbs, but if he added 10 lbs or so....especially to his base (legs, butt etc.), then I think it would help him really anchor down for positioning and not get pushed around at times. Squats, dead-lifts, and plyometrics are a basketball player's best friend in the offseason.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:51 PM   #74
skyvue
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormspencer View Post
Exactly. There are a select few on here who love to reach for that strawman anytime a player's strengths and weaknesses are being critiqued....it's a sensitivity issue I guess.
One poster stated repeatedly in this thread that Manek, a player that most agree is the second- or (at worst) third-best player on the team, shouldn't be starting. I came back with actual stats and other info that called that stance into question. I'm not sensitive; I'm just prepared counter to what I view as unfounded criticism.

Many here who are very quick to criticize the players and coaches (and often in less than civil terms) get very touchy indeed when someone dares to disagree with them.

But yeah, we're the sensitive ones.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:05 PM   #75
BAsooner
Walk-on

Angry Re: Manek

for curiosity if he shouldn't start who should ????
BAsooner is offline   Reply With Quote