ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2019, 05:41 PM   #1
aircoryell1980
Walk-on
 
aircoryell1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12
Default Back on the Bubble?

I don't post much (I do frequent this site to read though), but I have been a HUGE fan of OU hoops since the early 1980s (Tubbs and Co.). I simply wanted the boys to make the dance. I really didn't think they would this year (I did for next year). In any case, before I get called a "noob" or worse, I was wondering-- with a few teams like Seton Hall and a few others winning this weekend...and our terrible, terrible showing-- are we back on the bubble? I am hoping not, but man, this looks terrible. Thoughts?
aircoryell1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:47 PM   #2
Price is Right
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 323
Default Re: Back on the Bubble?

We are a lock.
Price is Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:48 PM   #3
WichitaSooner
Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,224
Default Re: Back on the Bubble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircoryell1980 View Post
I don't post much (I do frequent this site to read though), but I have been a HUGE fan of OU hoops since the early 1980s (Tubbs and Co.). I simply wanted the boys to make the dance. I really didn't think they would this year (I did for next year). In any case, before I get called a "noob" or worse, I was wondering-- with a few teams like Seton Hall and a few others winning this weekend...and our terrible, terrible showing...are we back on the bubble? I am hoping not, but man, this looks terrible.
Great user name! You should post more based on that alone! But to answer your question, no, we started this week in with some room to spare, and, if anything, slightly improved our position by splitting games against two top 20, quad one opponents. Not that it makes today any easier to stomach. Given the opponent, venue, and stakes for KSU, we were never going to win this game, but not competing better is a big disappointment.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:50 PM   #4
aircoryell1980
Walk-on
 
aircoryell1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12
Default Re: Back on the Bubble?

Yeah, my "Aircoryell1980" handle says it all about me . I love my "Air Coryell" Chargers and my "Billy Ball" Sooners...living in the past, hoping for the future!
aircoryell1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:40 PM   #5
coolm
National Champion
 
coolm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,850
Default Re: Back on the Bubble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircoryell1980 View Post
Yeah, my "Aircoryell1980" handle says it all about me . I love my "Air Coryell" Chargers and my "Billy Ball" Sooners...living in the past, hoping for the future!
usetabe such a dan fouts fan back in the day. jim hart (Cardinals) too. loved coryell's offense.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:17 PM   #6
Leroy
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 232
Default Re: Back on the Bubble?

No, we are in.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:51 PM   #7
WaymanFan
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,757
Default Re: Back on the Bubble?

ESPN has us in the "Should Be In" category...meaning it would take a lot of bad luck for us to be pushed out of the Dance. Regardless, if we can't beat WVU, it's going to be a lot like last year...when there was absolutely no excitement from our fans on Selection Sunday. Most didn't see us winning the 10/7 game, and I don't think one fan predicted a Sweet 16 run.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:01 AM   #8
NickZepp
National Champion
 
NickZepp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,881
Default Re: Back on the Bubble?

We could be as high as a 7 seed if we win a game or two in the tournament. Beating KSU would have probably gotten us in the conversation for even higher but I'm guessing we'll be an 8 or 9 seed.
NickZepp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:05 AM   #9
NickZepp
National Champion
 
NickZepp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,881
Default Re: Back on the Bubble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircoryell1980 View Post
Yeah, my "Aircoryell1980" handle says it all about me . I love my "Air Coryell" Chargers and my "Billy Ball" Sooners...living in the past, hoping for the future!
I've been editing and putting up a lot of old NFL games on my youtube channel. Lots of old Charger games on there also. They were pretty fun to watch. Even when they lost it was usually in glorious fashion except to the Bengals.
NickZepp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:37 AM   #10
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,470
Default Re: Back on the Bubble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZepp View Post
We could be as high as a 7 seed if we win a game or two in the tournament. Beating KSU would have probably gotten us in the conversation for even higher but I'm guessing we'll be an 8 or 9 seed.
I just don't see that happening. This team has two road wins in 2019. One against a bad OSU team that had built a 19 point lead on us. The other against a TCU team that was playing without their second leading scorer, has lost 6 of their last 8, and has fallen out of the Tournament field.

I know neutral site and road games aren't the game, but road games are probably a better indicator than homes games of potential success going forward. I wouldn't be shocked if we didn't win another game this season, and I'd be pretty shocked if we won more than 1. Probably going to end up on the 9/10 line, but some of that is dependent on what other teams do. Don't really see us climbing above that.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:02 AM   #11
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 10,574
Default Re: Back on the Bubble?

It would take a WVU loss in the tournament and a lot of bad luck.
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:15 AM   #12
stormspencer
Sweet 16
 
stormspencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 3,598
Default Re: Back on the Bubble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
I just don't see that happening. This team has two road wins in 2019. One against a bad OSU team that had built a 19 point lead on us. The other against a TCU team that was playing without their second leading scorer, has lost 6 of their last 8, and has fallen out of the Tournament field.

I know neutral site and road games aren't the game, but road games are probably a better indicator than homes games of potential success going forward. I wouldn't be shocked if we didn't win another game this season, and I'd be pretty shocked if we won more than 1. Probably going to end up on the 9/10 line, but some of that is dependent on what other teams do. Don't really see us climbing above that.
OU's road/neutral record is 8-8.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:07 AM   #13
sanguinetti
Role Player
 
sanguinetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 629
Default Re: Back on the Bubble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
It would take a WVU loss in the tournament and a lot of bad luck.
this
sanguinetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:26 AM   #14
WichitaSooner
Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,224
Default Re: Back on the Bubble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormspencer View Post
OU's road/neutral record is 8-8.
And we have five true road wins. Not sure why the three nonconference road wins would somehow magically drop off our record because they happened before the calendar flipped to 2019.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:29 AM   #15
WichitaSooner
Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,224
Default Re: Back on the Bubble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
I just don't see that happening. This team has two road wins in 2019. One against a bad OSU team that had built a 19 point lead on us. The other against a TCU team that was playing without their second leading scorer, has lost 6 of their last 8, and has fallen out of the Tournament field.

I know neutral site and road games aren't the game, but road games are probably a better indicator than homes games of potential success going forward. I wouldn't be shocked if we didn't win another game this season, and I'd be pretty shocked if we won more than 1. Probably going to end up on the 9/10 line, but some of that is dependent on what other teams do. Don't really see us climbing above that.
Well, lots of people must already be shocked since the consensus a month ago was one more win at most. I guess if people make that prediction enough, it's bound to be right eventually.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:48 AM   #16
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,470
Default Re: Back on the Bubble?

If ya'll want to take credit for beating RIO and UTSA on the road the first two games of the season, go right ahead. From a stand point of measuring how we might do in non-home games from here on out, I personally think they have zero value. You can pretty much add NW to that list too. An OT win against a team that has 13 wins on the season, when we were "playing our best ball?" No thank you. What is our road/neutral record against teams that ESPN currently has in the Tourney? What is it the last 2-3 months of the season? And yes, that matters. This isn't the same team that played back in November. We struggle away from home. A few wins against teams that ended up being terrible (RIO, UTSA, ND, NW, USC) doesn't mean squat when trying to predict if not playing at home might affect our changes in the Big 12 Tourney and Dance.

IMO, of course.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:02 AM   #17
WichitaSooner
Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,224
Default Re: Back on the Bubble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
If ya'll want to take credit for beating RIO and UTSA on the road the first two games of the season, go right ahead. From a stand point of measuring how we might do in non-home games from here on out, I personally think they have zero value. You can pretty much add NW to that list too. An OT win against a team that has 13 wins on the season, when we were "playing our best ball?" No thank you. What is our road/neutral record against teams that ESPN currently has in the Tourney? What is it the last 2-3 months of the season? And yes, that matters. This isn't the same team that played back in November. We struggle away from home. A few wins against teams that ended up being terrible (RIO, UTSA, ND, NW, USC) doesn't mean squat when trying to predict if not playing at home might affect our changes in the Big 12 Tourney and Dance.

IMO, of course.
Just so hard to figure out any consistency in your position. You are the guy who constantly talks about how FACTS matter, yet you also constantly ignore them when doing so is convenient. Take a look at the team sheet the NCAA uses. It will show five road wins. Period.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:24 PM   #18
BoulderSooner
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 3,331
Default Re: Back on the Bubble?

OU is in win or lose vs wvu
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:00 PM   #19
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,470
Default Re: Back on the Bubble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
What is our road/neutral record against teams that ESPN currently has in the Tourney?
Looked it up myself. If my math is right, 1-7 in road/neutral games against teams ESPN currently has Dancing.

Edit: And just to clarify, since we have some folks that are slow. My argument has nothing to do with the bubble or if we're in. We're in. Even a loss to WVU and we're in. I'm strictly pointing out that our record outside of Norman against NCAA Tournament caliber teams is putrid, and that often is a decent predictor for postseason (including conference tournament) games.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:13 PM   #20
RyanMinorFanClub
Walk-on
 
RyanMinorFanClub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 183
Default Re: Back on the Bubble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZepp View Post
I've been editing and putting up a lot of old NFL games on my youtube channel. Lots of old Charger games on there also. They were pretty fun to watch. Even when they lost it was usually in glorious fashion except to the Bengals.
Hey Nick, what is your youtube channel name? I'd like to check out some of your videos.
RyanMinorFanClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:16 PM   #21
NickZepp
National Champion
 
NickZepp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,881
Default Re: Back on the Bubble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanMinorFanClub View Post
Hey Nick, what is your youtube channel name? I'd like to check out some of your videos.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-...zR_ISmRHWSgdPQ
NickZepp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:17 PM   #22
RyanMinorFanClub
Walk-on
 
RyanMinorFanClub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 183
Default Re: Back on the Bubble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZepp View Post
Thanks!
RyanMinorFanClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:30 PM   #23
Max Power
Elite Eight
 
Max Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,054
Default Re: Back on the Bubble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Looked it up myself. If my math is right, 1-7 in road/neutral games against teams ESPN currently has Dancing.

Edit: And just to clarify, since we have some folks that are slow. My argument has nothing to do with the bubble or if we're in. We're in. Even a loss to WVU and we're in. I'm strictly pointing out that our record outside of Norman against NCAA Tournament caliber teams is putrid, and that often is a decent predictor for postseason (including conference tournament) games.
OK, now look up wvu's
__________________
"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:45 PM   #24
oudna
All-American
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,911
Default Re: Back on the Bubble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
OK, now look up wvu's
Interested as well!
oudna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:13 PM   #25
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,470
Default Re: Back on the Bubble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
OK, now look up wvu's
0-9

Edit: Pretty much the only difference is that we beat UF and they did not.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com