ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 02-18-2019, 05:32 PM   #26
SoonerinNC
Starter

Default Re: Is Kelvin a realistic option?

I like to enjoy basketball. Actually I like the womans game more than the men. Appears that some like to complain more than they like basketball. So be it. Age of the internet.

I remember all of the complaints about Kelvin's style of play. Now the complainers are complaining about the lack of defense. The thing I remember best about kelvin's teams is the terror they created with Miller's soft Kansas thorobreads.

Kelvin won for years at OU with average players and had just begun to get better players when he left for Indiana. With the Indiana quality players he was very successful. I felt the NCAA was extremely harsh with him and that Indiana threw him under the bus. Compare his treatment with Calipari who left UMass with punishment for paying a player and Memphis with grade tampering. And old Teflon Cal received nary a slap on the wrist.

I never quite got what Kelvin did wrong at Indiana but I think it was when an assistant finished talking with a recruit the question raised was whether he wanted to talk to Kelvin. Bruce Weber was also a major factor in the NCAA coming down on Kelvin. But 5 years for illegal contact with recruits? I understand it was a repeat violation but who else has received a 5 year show cause punishment.

I think Joe C would have Kelvin back in a heartbeat but at 63 Kelvin is likely to stay at Houston unless he got an offer to go to a blueblood program. I don't believe that Joe C ran him off. Kelvin just got an offer for a much better job and somehow many of our fans held that against him.

I wonder if he still uses the bubble rebounding drill.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:00 PM   #27
WaymanFan
Administrator

Here is an excellent article about Coach Sampson. It talks about how much he learned in the NBA about coaching on the offensive side of the ball.

https://sports.yahoo.com/kelvin-samp...065511600.html
WaymanFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:21 PM   #28
sybarite
National Champion

I don't think Kelvin would consider OU. I think he feels that he was betrayed by his colleagues in Norman. The word got out, right or wrong, that OU had known about the investigation, but didn't tell Kelvin until too late. I got the impression that he would have been at OU for life. Then, after feeling a bit betrayed by his perceived lack of support, he took an offer at Indiana, an escape route. I think there are some injured feelings.
sybarite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:38 PM   #29
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerinNC View Post

I never quite got what Kelvin did wrong at Indiana but I think it was when an assistant finished talking with a recruit the question raised was whether he wanted to talk to Kelvin. Bruce Weber was also a major factor in the NCAA coming down on Kelvin. But 5 years for illegal contact with recruits? I understand it was a repeat violation but who else has received a 5 year show cause punishment.

Weber thought he had Eric Gordon wrapped up when he was the Illini coach, but Kelvin convinced Gordon to go to IU. Weber hated Sampson after that.

I wonder if he still uses the bubble rebounding drill.
The “bubble” Kelvin used for that drill was the source of a few jokes over the years. It was also an effective tool for teaching players to battle on the boards by going up again and again until the drill was over. Taught them to jump quick, too, plus it was great for strengthening legs.

Good question, though. I wonder if that bubble belonged to Kelvin or if it was the property of OU?
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:17 PM   #30
skyvue
Elite Eight

I was firmly on Team Kelvin up until he cut and ran after getting us in trouble with the NCAA. I've been happy to see him succeed in the ensuing yeras, but regarding the notion of him returning to Norman, should our head coaching job become vacant, I think Thomas Wolfe probably had the right idea.

Last edited by skyvue; 02-18-2019 at 08:54 PM.
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:40 PM   #31
mict085
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
I don't think Kelvin would consider OU. I think he feels that he was betrayed by his colleagues in Norman. The word got out, right or wrong, that OU had known about the investigation, but didn't tell Kelvin until too late. I got the impression that he would have been at OU for life. Then, after feeling a bit betrayed by his perceived lack of support, he took an offer at Indiana, an escape route. I think there are some injured feelings.
He was responsible for putting OU on probation and the downfall that followed. Then he acted like a ***** about it before he cut and run. Screw him.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:44 AM   #32
Soonerman
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
He was responsible for putting OU on probation and the downfall that followed. Then he acted like a ***** about it before he cut and run. Screw him.
This.
Soonerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:51 AM   #33
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
You know our "probation" was pretty minor, right? A scholarship or two. Maybe a few less recruiting visits. Hardly the type of stuff that would result, or should result, in our program tanking.

It tanked b/c Jeff Capel was a crappy head coach.

Also, our "probation" would have been way worse, most likely, if Kelvin had stayed. Him leaving actually helped in that regards.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #34
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

yeah the kelvin hate is pretty ridiculous
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:00 PM   #35
skyvue
Elite Eight

The Kelvin love is, if not ridiculous, quite ironic, considering how much grief he was given when he was our coach. His reputation among some Sooner fans has soared in the years since he left. I guess it's true what they say: absence makes the heart grow fonder.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:18 PM   #36
jmizzy4ou
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
The Kelvin love is, if not ridiculous, quite ironic, considering how much grief he was given when he was our coach. His reputation among some Sooner fans has soared in the years since he left. I guess it's true what they say: absence makes the heart grow fonder.

No doubt. It was actually the first time I took a break from the board, because I was so tired of the daily KS bashing threads....
jmizzy4ou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:12 PM   #37
sybarite
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizzy4ou View Post
No doubt. It was actually the first time I took a break from the board, because I was so tired of the daily KS bashing threads....
Let's see. Which do I think is more ethical: Kelvin or the NCAA?

The NCAA was formed to keep ringers from playing for one school this week and another the following week. They had no interest in making sure anyone could read until about twenty years ago. They are and always have been about money and the regulation of sports for control and profit.
sybarite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:51 PM   #38
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizzy4ou View Post
Well, it’s good to see you back, you scoundrel!

How have you been, jmizzy?
Old 02-19-2019, 02:06 PM   #39
sheepdogs1
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post

He's busy untying DenverSooner.
sheepdogs1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:11 PM   #40
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post
He's busy untying DenverSooner.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:58 PM   #41
Stikboy
All-Conference

Dang! How long has this board been around?
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:16 PM   #42
jmizzy4ou
All-American

Quote:

Hey friend!!! I'm good, working hard and getting old. I visit the board regularly, just don't post much. I will catch you up on things in the near future. Hope you guys are doing well.
jmizzy4ou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:37 AM   #43
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikboy View Post
Dang! How long has this board been around?
Ten years last October. I believe the launch date was the 28th.

A number of our members were regulars on the Insider board before they came here. DenverSooner, jmizzy, Coolm, BoulderSooner, Skyvue, Sooner04, usedtobe1, Thebigabd, BigTime, MsProudSooner, to name a few. Some of our members had different usernames over there. This board has been one big family longer than I thought it would be around. I think that’s one thing that makes it special.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:07 AM   #44
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Ten years last October. I believe the launch date was the 28th.

A number of our members were regulars on the Insider board before they came here. DenverSooner, jmizzy, Coolm, BoulderSooner, Skyvue, Sooner04, usedtobe1, Thebigabd, BigTime, MsProudSooner, to name a few. Some of our members had different usernames over there. This board has been one big family longer than I thought it would be around. I think that’s one thing that makes it special.
i completely agree ... and some of us were also on the secret board way way back ..
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:38 AM   #45
sanguinetti
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
i completely agree ... and some of us were also on the secret board way way back ..
indeed. i always liked Kelvin though i have it on pretty good authority from someone who did legal work in the AD for years*** that had KS showed some contrition and mea culpa to the NCAA it would have lessened OU's penalty considerably. So, the program paid the price for his pride. that is unpleasant to me. Further, one can see KS's approach to his wrongdoing since he did it again at IU.

my mom lived around the corner from the Sampsons in Norman and Kelvin always waved at her driving....and she couldn't care less about basketball really...because of that i found it hard to have hard feelings about the guy even when some criticisms of his OU tenure were and continue to be very valid.

***for what it's worth; me, anonymous poster on the internet...i know.
sanguinetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:49 PM   #46
Eielson
Role Player

Quote:
The Kelvin love is, if not ridiculous
It's certainly not ridiculous, considering he's coaching a top 10 team despite having far less to work with than what we have here in Norman.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:50 PM   #47
Eielson
Role Player

Quote:
I think Thomas Wolfe probably had the right idea.
Steve Jobs and Lebron > Thomas Wolfe
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:00 PM   #48
Soonerinkc
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
anyone remember the board back in the mid/late 90's? I know Stephen Alexander's brother and dad posted there...man, that was a long time ago.
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:17 PM   #49
Sooner04
All-Conference

I posted on the secret board for years. I can still quote the URL off the top of my head. I had some pretty good sources inside the program back then, and I'd pass their stuff along from time to time.

But then DenverSooner went off the rails and posted one of my "scoops" all over God's green earth and that was that. The stuff on that board was supposed to be sacred. Oh well.

I wonder where my old friend "Tony" is these days.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:18 PM   #50
thebigabd
National Champion

Why didn't I get invited to the secret board?

I guess that question is rhetorical.....