ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 03-14-2019, 10:33 AM   #26
WaymanFan
Administrator

Default Re: And this is why we lost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTraveler View Post
I did. I used my season tickets for over 30 years. Almost never missed a home game. Almost never missed a trip to the conference tournament. Made many trips to NCAA tournament games. I was an OU BASKETBALL "fan in the stands." A rare animal.

It was a difficult decision to drop my season tickets two years ago. In hindsight, it was the correct decision .. for me. This crap is hard enough to watch on TV.
Wow, I didn't know you stopped going - know how much of a diehard you are, so it's telling about the state of this basketball program.

Doolittle's statements were flat-out embarrassing. On what planet does a "7 seed in a conference tournament" take an opponent lightly?
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:48 AM   #27
Mackie McNeer
Walk-on

Didn’t Doolittle just say a couple days ago that they learned their lesson from last year’s loss to OSU in the tournament? Then he says this garbage? Baffling
Mackie McNeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:52 AM   #28
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymOU View Post
100 on this - LK's substitution patterns have baffled me all year. Manek and Doo should not have left the floor in the 2nd half. If they are tired, use TO's to give them rest. Kelvin was a master at this and Billy just had his guys in incredible shape.

I think LK plays too many people at times.

I don't know if you can find + / - for college games, but I would love to see what OU was without Doo and Manek.
i think this is very valid critisim
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:06 AM   #29
WichitaSooner
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
i think this is very valid critisim
I thought it was odd how long he sat Brady in the second half. I don't have any issues with taking a guy out for a minute or two right before a timeout, but when a key player is hot, keep him in till he cools off, and then bring him back in as soon as possible. I didn't think he sat Doo too long -- he played 36 minutes, so only a couple minutes each half on the bench. Brady was the one that confused me.

I'd always prefer more RO and less Reynolds. They both defend, but Reynolds has been so bad on offense that I would never play him for more than a few minutes per half, if that. As I said last week, his shots look like someone just throwing the ball in the general direction of the backboard at this point.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:33 AM   #30
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
Wow, I didn't know you stopped going - know how much of a diehard you are, so it's telling about the state of this basketball program.

Doolittle's statements were flat-out embarrassing. On what planet does a "7 seed in a conference tournament" take an opponent lightly?
Shocking, isn’t it? If this board gave an annual “Positive Fan” award, Traveler would have received my vote every season. I met him at a game several years ago. He’s my idea of what an OU basketball fan should be!

Some here obviously believe things will be better. I’m fine with that. I wish I could be my usually optimistic self. I’m definitely hoping that three solid returning players (four counting Reaves) will combine with our newcomers to right the ship again. I plan to be here cheering them on. But if what some say is our best group of players in the Kruger era can’t get the job done, it may be time to stop blaming the players.
AdaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:36 AM   #31
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTraveler View Post
I did. I used my season tickets for over 30 years. Almost never missed a home game. Almost never missed a trip to the conference tournament. Made many trips to NCAA tournament games. I was an OU BASKETBALL "fan in the stands." A rare animal.

It was a difficult decision to drop my season tickets two years ago. In hindsight, it was the correct decision .. for me. This crap is hard enough to watch on TV.
@kruger

Manic Manek
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:39 AM   #32
Chiefdaddy
Walk-on

This team is soft. Most of Lon's team's are. Kelvin will get in that a## and let you know. That's what I loved about him. If the players you have don't have it in them, it's your job as a coach to bring it out. Perfect example is James playing like trash in the first half and coming to the time out with the camera on him. Crutch was pissed and said something to him and James just had a look on his face like what did I do? Come on man. I knew this team was pretty much what we are and we are fortunate to be a bubble team with our hot start. I tried to tell you guys last year that this team wouldn't win 20 games. Hell, we should have been .500 or worse. We won some games early that I didn't think we would win.
Chiefdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:10 PM   #33
cvangild
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymOU View Post
Doo is one step (backwards beyond the 3-point line) from being un-guardable. If he would shoot the 3, which he apparently routinely makes in practice, he would be tremendously hard to match up for anyone in the Big 12
I totally agree. And if you remember...he would shoot the 3 his freshman year and seemed like he hit a decent amount of them! Don't forget that Texas game his freshman year...had like 29 points!

Yeah, this team has very small margin for error...so not sure why they would take any game for granted...doesn't make sense. WV has some talent still left and has had a couple of dudes really step up their hame. They are physical and can really rebound! Not the type of team to take for granted.

Now their little shirt PG didn't do crap the whole 1st half...then hits like 4 3's in the 2nd half alone! Wtf? We lost the game on the boards...and missed a couple of lay ups and easy baskets...to me that was the game.

It shouldn't have come down to that last shot! But Christ, can't we ever catch a break in those situations??!! Remember buddy's 3 that wasn't? Spanglera missed layup that was WIDE OPEN against Iowa st?! Latin missing the effin FT at the end of KU game is Lawrence...then the ref not calling the foul on Mason for rap in our player who was inbounding the effin ball??!!

It's like a frickin curse!
cvangild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:13 PM   #34
thebigabd
National Champion

Posted this in the wrong thread..... Belongs in this thread.

WVU outrebounded us by 34 rebounds in 3 games... average of 11.3 boards per game. This is without their best player (Konate) and a total rebounding machine they have coming in next year.. OU has the same front-court next year.

We gave up 49 offensive rebounds in 3 games against them. 16.3 offensive rebounds per game given up.

Again, without their best player and a total rebounding freak of nature they have coming in next year.

In other words... they man-handled us this year. They are tougher... More physical... more relentless... The last place team in the league came in better coached, better prepared, and their guys were fighting to win and our guys weren't... Doolittle said it himself.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:15 PM   #35
inoref
All-Conference

IMO why we lost this game and a lot of others..poorly conditioned, coaching, talent..all three of those could use a dose of improvement
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:52 PM   #36
red recluse
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormspencer View Post
I'm hopeful that our mental shortcomings, low basketball IQ, and lack of toughness is eradicated when this senior class graduates.
this is why i dont want a coaching change right now, i want a culture, attitude, passion change. cj didn't go foul wvu after jb missed that 3 point attempt with 10 seconds left. he just like slapped his hands and began to mope as if the game is over when we were still only down three. that is the **** i am tired of. we need heart and toughness. more guys that care. damn.
red recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:57 PM   #37
Sooner04
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by red recluse View Post
this is why i dont want a coaching change right now, i want a culture, attitude, passion change. cj didn't go foul wvu after jb missed that 3 point attempt with 10 seconds left. he just like slapped his hands and began to mope as if the game is over when we were still only down three. that is the **** i am tired of. we need heart and toughness. more guys that care. damn.
I'm surprised he didn't snap his head to an official for a foul to be called with a look of complete shock on his face.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:09 PM   #38
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by red recluse View Post
That infuriated me too. We need a coaching change asap tho imo

Manic Manek
Old 03-14-2019, 01:39 PM   #39
oudna
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by slides View Post
“We didn’t bring the emotion that we needed for this game,” junior forward Kristian Doolittle said. “We just kind of expected to win this game going in, expecting West Virginia not to put up as much of a fight as they did. Credit them. They played hard the entire game, and we were trying to match them.”

This team with grad transfers, seniors, and juniors should know better than that

NewsOK source
Sounds more like an excuse than the actual reason for the loss

Kids sometimes talk out of the side of their neck

Wouldn’t put much stock in it. Doo played hard
oudna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:41 PM   #40
WichitaSooner
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvangild View Post
I totally agree. And if you remember...he would shoot the 3 his freshman year and seemed like he hit a decent amount of them! Don't forget that Texas game his freshman year...had like 29 points!

Yeah, this team has very small margin for error...so not sure why they would take any game for granted...doesn't make sense. WV has some talent still left and has had a couple of dudes really step up their hame. They are physical and can really rebound! Not the type of team to take for granted.

Now their little shirt PG didn't do crap the whole 1st half...then hits like 4 3's in the 2nd half alone! Wtf? We lost the game on the boards...and missed a couple of lay ups and easy baskets...to me that was the game.

It shouldn't have come down to that last shot! But Christ, can't we ever catch a break in those situations??!! Remember buddy's 3 that wasn't? Spanglera missed layup that was WIDE OPEN against Iowa st?! Latin missing the effin FT at the end of KU game is Lawrence...then the ref not calling the foul on Mason for rap in our player who was inbounding the effin ball??!!

It's like a frickin curse!
To be fair, Spangler and Lattin had nothing to do with bad luck. They had chances to win games and choked. Spangler also had a chance to seal the West Virginia game a couple possessions before Buddy's halfcourt shot, but missed two free throws, one of which was an airball.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:53 PM   #41
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by oudna View Post

Agreed. Ita just player-speak. But its terribly timed lol

Manic Manek
Old 03-14-2019, 02:38 PM   #42
WichitaSooner
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oudna View Post

Exactly. No different than a player saying they don't pay attention to tourney projections, etc. Just a canned reply to a question they get asked a million times after every game.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:56 PM   #43
Big Old Booger
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
I'm surprised he didn't snap his head to an official for a foul to be called with a look of complete shock on his face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefdaddy
Perfect example is James playing like trash in the first half and coming to the time out with the camera on him. Crutch was pissed and said something to him and James just had a look on his face like what did I do? Come on man.
Both of these highlight James largest problem and why he's never improved. He mopes and complains more than any OU player in recent memory. I grew tired of it 2 seasons ago and the main reason I am glad he's graduating. He seems like a nice kid, very bright too, and I hope he does something with his life. However, he has to get better about reacting to adversity or he will end up working a minimum wage job somewhere in Houston. Life is much more difficult than not getting a foul call or missing a shot in a basketball game.

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------
Big Old Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:12 PM   #44
Leroy
Walk-on

Manek is a good player in out of conference games but not a good player in conference games. TOO SOFT on post defense and rebounding. Our big men recruiting sucks. Freeman and another post player that I can not name are not Big 12 post men. We need post men that are tough and can rebound.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:34 PM   #45
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
Manek is a good player in out of conference games but not a good player in conference games. TOO SOFT on post defense and rebounding. Our big men recruiting sucks. Freeman and another post player that I can not name are not Big 12 post men. We need post men that are tough and can rebound.
You may be surprised to learn that I agree with you. If Manek works hard in the weight room in the off season, he could make a huge jump as a junior. On the whole, he was more aggressive this season. Bigger, stronger players just wore him out down low. Doolittle may not have a big man’s size, but there is nothing soft about him. IMO, he’s our best player this season.

That said, I’m anxious to see what the bigs we’ve got coming in next season can do. I’m giving our coaches one more year to prove they can recruit better post players.
AdaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:23 PM   #46
OU92Grad
Walk-on

Quote:
Leroy you obviously have something personal against Manek. He had double doubles against both Kansas and Tech this year. Why don’t you ever talk about how our guards never block out? In fact who gave up 12 rebs to Haley and 8 to Matthews? Has Christian James blocked out this year? Or in his entire career? We lost the game when Kruger pulled Manek out after he had hit three straight shots to put us up 45-40 in the second half. West Virginia went on a 13-2 run and the score was 53-47 when he came back in. We never regained the lead. That loss is on Kruger. When Jamuni got injured during the run by WV Kruger even went to Freeman instead of putting Manek back in.
OU92Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:58 PM   #47
Eielson
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
The quote sounds bad, but if you read just about any article following a loss, by any team, you'll hear similar things. Athletes very rarely say, "man, we played as hard as possible and just came up short." Players get asked to explain losses and this is one of the most frequent answers. That said, I do agree that simply by what I saw on TV, we didn't have much emotion. A completely different demeanor than last week against KU when the players clearly knew they needed a win.
I was about to make a sarcastic comment about how if we could just find players that took games seriously we'd go undefeated every year, but you beat me to the point. This is announcer/coach talk that is only slightly less annoying than the "confidence" talk. Granted, there's really not much else you can say as a player, so in this situation I don't mind it as much. At least he's taking ownership, even if it is overly cliche.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:11 AM   #48
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
He was a much better player in conf games the stats 100% show this.

And that fact that you can’t name players on OU’s team tells us all we need to know
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:18 AM   #49
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Manek is a "solid" offensive player. And by that I mean shooter/scorer. I think he is a liability in every other aspect. Not good on D. Not a good rebounder. Can't create for himself or others. Doesn't seem to have a great feel for the game, or killer instinct. Isn't really talked about as a leader.

People want to point to his scoring and some counting stats as suggesting otherwise, but I don't see it. I'm certainly not saying he alone is the problem, just saying that he is a perfect example of what the team's problem is. Too soft. And too many guys that aren't what I could call basketball players (good all around bball guys).
Old 03-16-2019, 07:24 PM   #50
SoonerinNC
All-Conference

I will not be suprised if we miss the NCAA. Hope we make it but the West Virginia loss really hurt.

Our biggest problem was that they killed us with offensive rebounds and second chance points. I didn't see their Tech game but they were doing the same to Kansas early in the game but maybe a few whistles cut down their agression on the boards as the game went on. Kansas can get those whistles but we don't seem to.

Our weakness this year was our senior class. All but Odomes deteriorated from their early season play and Odomes had more so-so games than good ones.

The best news for next year is that the three players who improved this year will be back. Doolittlel, Manek and Bieniemy. Manek did not rebound well in the West Virginia game buy by and large was much improved there this season. Also I felt his defense was pretty good away from the hoop. He did have a problem letting the opponent bigs get too deep inside. Freeman was also better this year but still not really good enough to be a consistent contributor.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote