ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 07-13-2018, 08:58 AM   #3251
scrybe
All-American

Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
Your suggestion of Jessica Shultz makes a lot of sense if she is ready to manage a top D-I pitching staff which is yet to be determined. But I agree to insure we keep our present day commitments we need a replacement named as soon as possible.
I've been advocating for Jessica from the moment Melyssa's departure was confirmed. And why would anyone assume she isn't ready to manage a D1 pitching staff? Anyone who doesn't have Lombardi's track record (and that would include every coach or GA in the nation) would be as much, or more, an unknown quantity as Jessica Shultz.

If the rumors are true that K. Rickets and Lea Wodach will both come aboard in 2019 as graduate assistants, Shultz would have all the help she needs to succeed as the Sooners' pitching coach.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:43 PM   #3252
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Lombardi's Oregon contract is for 1.7 mil for 5 years.

Missy will average making $100K+/year than Oregon was paying Mike White. She gets $140K plus bonuses more than she made at OU. Oregon also agrees to past through to Missy any product endorsement fees it earns from softball equipment vendors.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/inde...ach_earns.html
Old 07-14-2018, 12:48 PM   #3253
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe View Post
I've been advocating for Jessica from the moment Melyssa's departure was confirmed. And why would anyone assume she isn't ready to manage a D1 pitching staff? Anyone who doesn't have Lombardi's track record (and that would include every coach or GA in the nation) would be as much, or more, an unknown quantity as Jessica Shultz.

If the rumors are true that K. Rickets and Lea Wodach will both come aboard in 2019 as graduate assistants, Shultz would have all the help she needs to succeed as the Sooners' pitching coach.
You definitely cannot assume that Jessica isn't ready but likewise you cannot know that she is ready to do the job until she get the position and performs well. There is alway a risk factor when a coach is elevated to the next level. Tough decision that is just part of the reason Patty is paid the big bucks.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:58 PM   #3254
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
You definitely cannot assume that Jessica isn't ready but likewise you cannot know that she is ready to do the job until she get the position and performs well. There is alway a risk factor when a coach is elevated to the next level. Tough decision that is just part of the reason Patty is paid the big bucks.
Keilani was a GA at Miss State and missed half the season because she had to play in Japan. Maybe this year is different but I don't know that she has what it takes to be a coach. She has always been the superstar. The same thing happened with Shelby Pendley at New Mexico, she left mid-season to play in the pros only she was a full time assistant and not a GA.

As for Shults, she has worked the bullpen at OU as player and as a GA with Lombardi. In addition, she helped coach UH into post season this past year for the first time in years. She has multiple years on the staff. Gascoigne would be the other for Sooner/GA who has real coaching experience at Northwestern. The difference is that she does not have the coaching experience at catcher which Lombardi has been doing for 20+ years. If Patty hires a pure pitching coach then she is going to have to coach the catchers. I am certainly not sure Lea is ready to be the primary catching coach as a GA. I think catcher is way too important not to cover it.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:52 AM   #3255
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy17 View Post
Keilani was a GA at Miss State and missed half the season because she had to play in Japan. Maybe this year is different but I don't know that she has what it takes to be a coach. She has always been the superstar. The same thing happened with Shelby Pendley at New Mexico, she left mid-season to play in the pros only she was a full time assistant and not a GA.

As for Shults, she has worked the bullpen at OU as player and as a GA with Lombardi. In addition, she helped coach UH into post season this past year for the first time in years. She has multiple years on the staff. Gascoigne would be the other for Sooner/GA who has real coaching experience at Northwestern. The difference is that she does not have the coaching experience at catcher which Lombardi has been doing for 20+ years. If Patty hires a pure pitching coach then she is going to have to coach the catchers. I am certainly not sure Lea is ready to be the primary catching coach as a GA. I think catcher is way too important not to cover it.
No question many forget the importance of Missy's handling of the catchers and the serveral All American/All Conference players she produced. That definitely could be a leg up for Jessica if Patty thinks she is ready to take on replacing Missy coaching the circle and behind the plate.

There is a good argument for support for Jessica among the fans but as we all know the only thing that matters is what Patty thinks. The answer will be interesting and I am sure will create some further "what if" speculation with the fans.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:09 PM   #3256
scrybe
All-American

Quote:
No question many forget the importance of Missy's handling of the catchers and the serveral All American/All Conference players she produced. That definitely could be a leg up for Jessica if Patty thinks she is ready to take on replacing Missy coaching the circle and behind the plate.

There is a good argument for support for Jessica among the fans but as we all know the only thing that matters is what Patty thinks. The answer will be interesting and I am sure will create some further "what if" speculation with the fans.
Certainly agree with that statement. Patty will hire the coach(es) she believes will do the best job preparing the pitchers and catchers to continue to win at the top level.

Perhaps my point about Jessica wasn't clear. I have no way of knowing if she would make a great pitching coach, though I personally believe she would. Jessica played her college ball and learned the game from the absolute best. If she's not ready at this point to lead a D1 pitching staff, she likely never will be.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:42 PM   #3257
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Does a pitching coach need to be a former pitcher? Was Melissa a former pitcher?

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:52 PM   #3258
sybarite
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
Does a pitching coach need to be a former pitcher? Was Melissa a former pitcher?
Melissa was a catcher. The argument tends to be would a catcher not be preferable since they can also train the catchers. That is why Schults comes up.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:05 PM   #3259
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
Melissa was a catcher. The argument tends to be would a catcher not be preferable since they can also train the catchers. That is why Schults comes up.
Yes, Lombardi coached both at OU for over two decades. Which means if OU hires a simple pitching coach then someone will have to coach the catchers. This makes the OU position unique.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:39 AM   #3260
sybarite
National Champion

USA Red beat Japan 10-5. Arioto hit three home runs. The team hit six home runs. They couldn't get a single if it killed them. Fortunately, they had power. Japan was serving up some younger players to prepare for the Olympics.

Japan beat USA Blue a day or so earlier by hitting a two-run home run off Lowary who had come on in relief. Blue didn't have the hitting to fight back.

Red started O'Toole, trying to develop someone other than Abbott. But, after Red took an early lead due to walks in the first inning, Japan kept fighting back. If we hit it on the ground, they got an out, sometimes two. We had some problems in that we kept making little mistakes that Japan didn't make. Never called them errors. But, we missed hops, while Japan didn't. We changed to Garcia and someone else. We brought in Ricketts who got us out of the fourth. In the fifth, the first two hitters got a seeing eye single and a scorching double off the left center wall. They threw out one player trying to score. They brought on Abbott who got one out. Then, Japan hit a shot over the centerfield fence to tie it at five. In the bottom of the fifth, Red hit two more home runs, before hitting a three-run shot in the sixth. Abbott held them off.

They are better in the field than we are. We have power. They are more consistent. And, they do have some power.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote