ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 11-13-2019, 03:49 PM   #26
Darwin
Role Player

Default Re: Early Season Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeyer3307 View Post
I mean, the subs have played pretty well. I would just like to see Manek and Doolittle both avg around 30min a game compared to 34-38min. Two games a week against big freak athletes, plus practices will wear on them.. I think Manek especially has shown the last two seasons that he can't hold up or will at least wear down.

I think Lon is still working with lineups and won't know for another month. I just hope Kur and Victor get multiple shots at playing each game, not just one 5 min stretch.
Good point. The key is getting these guys good minutes that build confidence not just game minutes looking unsteady. Winning is very important and it's great to get a couple of road-ish ones.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:10 PM   #27
usedtobe1
Administrator

I think Kruger is just trying to develop some depth in the front court. Our guards look good and we have 4 guys who can all play. Bienemy looked great last night. I love his motor. Williams has established himself as our 6th man in my opinion. That guy will just keep getting better .... heís still learning the system since he didnít get to campus until August. Reaves is as advertised, and Harmon is still ďadaptingĒ to D1 ball.

We do need to develop some depth behind Doo and Manek. Doo was the best player on the court last night, but can he do it consistently? Against bigger teams? Kur, Victor, and Hill all have potential. They will be needed. Merritt? I donít know about him.
usedtobe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:16 PM   #28
thebigabd
National Champion

All expectations exceeded... Good team... Fun to watch... Athletic, skilled, etc.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:58 PM   #29
cowboysooner
Starter

Team looks really good. I think the key will be if we can maintain our chemistry into conference. We have had a problem in this regard last few years. I donít know about the starting 5 but 1 to nine this is the most talented we have been
cowboysooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:37 PM   #30
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysooner View Post
Team looks really good. I think the key will be if we can maintain our chemistry into conference. We have had a problem in this regard last few years. I donít know about the starting 5 but 1 to nine this is the most talented we have been
I don't think chemistry was an issue last season. The Big 12 is a great conference and we didn't have the horses to be in the top half of the league last year.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:14 AM   #31
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
I don't think chemistry was an issue last season. The Big 12 is a great conference and we didn't have the horses to be in the top half of the league last year.
Agreed. Chemistry the year before was terrible at the end.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:35 AM   #32
Stikboy
All-Conference

Think we have the horses this year?
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:03 AM   #33
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikboy View Post
Think we have the horses this year?
To finish better in conference? Yes. I said several months ago that I would be disappointed if we don't finish in the top half of the league, and I'll stand by that. I think anything under .500 in conference will be a letdown. All our returning players are better, and the new guys are far more talented than the players they replaced.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:15 AM   #34
Stikboy
All-Conference

Quote:
To finish better in conference? Yes. I said several months ago that I would be disappointed if we don't finish in the top half of the league, and I'll stand by that. I think anything under .500 in conference will be a letdown. All our returning players are better, and the new guys are far more talented than the players they replaced.
Well, I think so too, but i've been let down the past few seasons after good to great starts. I've tried to compare what we lost to what we've gained and everything seems to point to significant improvement.

I think the biggest thing is the continued growth of the bench. Can Kur turn flashes into extended contributions against bigger and better teams? Can Manek shoot better on the road? Will Iwuakor, Hill, and Williams continue to contribute against Big 12 level competition? Once again, the main thing is continued improvement. Be better at the end that at the beginning. That's what has eluded the program the past few years...
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:21 AM   #35
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikboy View Post
Well, I think so too, but i've been let down the past few seasons after good to great starts. I've tried to compare what we lost to what we've gained and everything seems to point to significant improvement.

I think the biggest thing is the continued growth of the bench. Can Kur turn flashes into extended contributions against bigger and better teams? Can Manek shoot better on the road? Will Iwuakor, Hill, and Williams continue to contribute against Big 12 level competition? Once again, the main thing is continued improvement. Be better at the end that at the beginning. That's what has eluded the program the past few years...
Agree. With respect to Kur, one small play stood out the other night. While it seemed simple, his catch and dunk on the pick and roll is a play that we have seen our bigs fumble time and again in recent years. (How many assists did Trae lose when Lattin either dropped a pass or couldn't finish?) I'm sure the new guys will all have rough games as they transition to D-1, but sheer talent puts them ahead of some of the guys we have brought off the bench recently.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:47 AM   #36
mardaddy51
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerJK12 View Post
Thoughts on various players in no particular order:

3. Williams -- in a game where pure athleticism can be an asset regardless of your basketball ability or IQ, this guy deserves a scholarship, holy cow. However, he is more than just an athletic guy, and is capable of knocking down an open jump shot. Really like what he can bring to the team.
Not sure if this is what you were insinuated, but Williams does have a scholarship.
mardaddy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:10 AM   #37
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by mardaddy51 View Post
Not sure if this is what you were insinuated, but Williams does have a scholarship.
Yeah there were some that have said JUCO kids dont deserve one.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:46 AM   #38
usedtobe1
Administrator

Williams has as much athleticism as anyone on the team. I suspect his role is going to grow as he becomes more comfortable with the system. I can see him averaging 20 minutes per game in conference play. JMHO
usedtobe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:29 PM   #39
Soonerinkc
All-American

Ready to see them in KC. Itíd be nice to get Missouri for the 2nd game and bury their asses in KC.
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:42 PM   #40
scrybe
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerinkc View Post
Ready to see them in KC. Itíd be nice to get Missouri for the 2nd game and bury their asses in KC.
LOL. Precisely what I was thinking.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:44 PM   #41
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe View Post
LOL. Precisely what I was thinking.
How many folks on the board plan on being in KC for those games?
Old 11-14-2019, 06:58 PM   #42
daqman
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Yeah there were some that have said JUCO kids dont deserve one.
You'd have to go back quite a ways to find one who did.
I'm no fan of jucos but thankfully it seems Lon finally struck juco gold. I'm impressed with Williams so far. Very athletic. Plays under control. Finishes well. Has a smooth outside shot. Hustles. Defends. Rebounds. Seems to be easing right into his role. Fills all the squares. Very pleased so far.
daqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:48 PM   #43
Soonerinkc
All-American

Quote:
How many folks on the board plan on being in KC for those games?
Obviously me...
Monday wife, stepson, me
Tuesday me and another OU guy
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:52 AM   #44
WaymanFan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daqman View Post
You'd have to go back quite a ways to find one who did.
I'm no fan of jucos but thankfully it seems Lon finally struck juco gold. I'm impressed with Williams so far. Very athletic. Plays under control. Finishes well. Has a smooth outside shot. Hustles. Defends. Rebounds. Seems to be easing right into his role. Fills all the squares. Very pleased so far.
We've had a few JUCOs over the past decade who have made "positive contributions" such as Sam Grooms, but to find the last one who came in and became an "impact" player, you have to go back to the 2004 recruiting class. That year, we pulled in both Taj Gray and Terrell Everett, two key members of the last time we won the Big XII (in 2005). After those two, the best JUCO player was probably Michael Neal a couple classes later, but he was more "solid" than anything else.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote