ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 11-06-2018, 11:46 AM   #26
WaymanFan
Administrator

Default Re: MY Take on Exhib Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
How can you say that? I have last year to look back on, and now we don't have TY. I have the year before that to look back on. I have a couple of seasons of stats and game tape on Calixte and Reynolds to look at. I have national media and Big 12 coaches' opinions. I have my own eyes over the last couple of years (A LOT of the same guys playing). I now have one exhibition game from this year to look at. I have LK's coaching history to look at. I have the history of the CURRENT OU staff to look at.

It may still just be my opinion, but it's a pretty informed one. And I've never said this team is destined to finish last in the Big 12 and miss all postseason play. I've said that best case, I thought they could do enough to slip into the Dance. The Big 12 is a strong, respected conference. That will help OU. But I wouldn't necessarily consider "slipping" into the NCAA Tourney a good season or a good team, considering we have 9 upperclassmen on the roster, 7-8 of which figure to play a lot of minutes. The bar has been set a little higher at OU, has it not?
While nothing you said I technically disagree with, there is one thing none of us knows at this stage: What is the CHEMISTRY going to be like? No one could have reasonably predicted the 1990 team to finish #1 in the final polls prior to the Dance after losing Blaylock and King. No one could have seen OU even making the 1995 NCAA Tournament much less as a #4 seed. Most predicted a last-place finish in the Big 8. What those teams had, along with the 1984, 1988, 2000, 2002 and 2016 teams was great chemistry...and it's not something that any of us can really predict.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:07 PM   #27
Sooner04
All-Conference

I can see the chemistry improving with Lattin, McGusty and Trae Young gone, but I don't see much hope of it ever being good until Christian James has wrapped up his playing career.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:25 PM   #28
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
I can see the chemistry improving with Lattin, McGusty and Trae Young gone, but I don't see much hope of it ever being good until Christian James has wrapped up his playing career.
Huummm! Never really thought about it that way, Sooner04. CJ's body language can definitely be a head scratcher sometimes. The same can be said about Doolittle.

I'll be very disappointed if LK allows the attitude problems I heard so much about last year rear its ugly head again.
AdaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:02 PM   #29
BCSooners
All-Conference

Quote:
Lattin was an issue? Seemed like a really good teammate.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:20 PM   #30
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
Lattin was an issue? Seemed like a really good teammate.
Not according to James Hale. I was shocked when James said during the season last year that Khadeem Lattin was the biggest trouble maker on the team. Wish I could find his quote, but there is no doubt that Hale was not a Lattin fan.

Maybe 04 can shed some light on whst JH was talking about.
AdaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:27 PM   #31
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Very interesting..

Spangler dunking on "the piece of crap"
hoopsaustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:30 PM   #32
coolm
National Champion

I'm gonna hafta agree about CJ. Maybe Miles personality will rub off on him a bit. Calixte needs to pass him that blunt a time or two so he will chill out.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:03 PM   #33
WichitaSooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
Not according to James Hale. I was shocked when James said during the season last year that Khadeem Lattin was the biggest trouble maker on the team. Wish I could find his quote, but there is no doubt that Hale was not a Lattin fan.

Maybe 04 can shed some light on whst JH was talking about.
I have no inside info on this, but Lattin always struck me as a guy who desperately wanted to come across as a leader, and as a result he tried to do all the flashy things that make someone look like a leader. But when it came time to leading by example, he left a lot to be desired. He obviously didnt make many meaningful strides in his game and eventually lost his starting spot. I could easily see how his personality could have rubbed some people the wrong way. Again, this is pure speculation, but I think it was pretty clear that we had no leadership the past two seasons.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:21 PM   #34
CoachTalk
Elite Eight

Quote:
Not once have I ever heard James was an issue. By anyone.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:49 PM   #35
Ghost of Gar Heard
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Not once have I ever heard James was an issue. By anyone.
James is intense and complaints about him seem to revolve around him getting upset about foul calls or trying to lead other players. He's going to be a leader this year and will definitely be a huge positive in his final season.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:56 AM   #36
inoref
All-Conference

I think the team last year pretty much gave up, packed it in. IMO CJ was one of those but this is a new year so we shall see
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:39 AM   #37
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolm View Post
I'm gonna hafta agree about CJ. Maybe Miles personality will rub off on him a bit. Calixte needs to pass him that blunt a time or two so he will chill out.
stop being so negative
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:11 PM   #38
tooney
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by inoref View Post
I think the team last year pretty much gave up, packed it in. IMO CJ was one of those but this is a new year so we shall see
I agree with this........^^^^

There were no leaders last year......the team just started to go downhill and no one stepped up to right the ship. CJ would have been a logical choice, but I never saw him try to do anything to bring the "team" together.

Any one of the players could have stepped up instead of hanging their heads and pointing fingers. Any one of them could have decided to make a personal decision to make the team better. Any one of them could have decided to go all out on the defensive end...play defense like their life depended on the outcome...it shouldn't have mattered what happened on the offensive end. Instead, we had players who decided they weren't a big enough part of the offense and decided to dog it on both ends.

Who steps up this year when the team goes through a rough spot?????

If there is a leader on this year's team, now is the time for him to start making his mark.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:47 AM   #39
Darwin
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
What is the CHEMISTRY going to be like? No one could have reasonably predicted the 1990 team to finish #1 in the final polls prior to the Dance after losing Blaylock and King. No one could have seen OU even making the 1995 NCAA Tournament much less as a #4 seed. Most predicted a last-place finish in the Big 8. What those teams had, along with the 1984, 1988, 2000, 2002 and 2016 teams was great chemistry...and it's not something that any of us can really predict.
I agree, we think we know but we're guessing. Some years guys step up their game and the team follows. Thinking back to the Sampson years, you didn't know what you had till mid January. Seems the same last season.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:36 AM   #40
Soonerguy06
Walk-on

I agree with the above comments in reference to Christian James. It seems like every single game he was whining and throwing a fit about something, never seemed like a positive, leader type of player and more like someone that only cares about his individual performance. I've noticed that especially the last season
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:05 PM   #41
CoachTalk
Elite Eight

Guy has given 4 years and never been in trouble. I agree on court demeanor could be better but that can be said for tons of ncaa kids and ALL nba'ers
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote