ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 04:30 PM   #1
okiezoni
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 16
Default Fraschilla on Hannes Polla???

Should have put ???? in subject line as I am asking for info. Edit doesn't appear to allow me to change subject line.

I really want to hear Fran's thoughts on Hannes Polla, the Finnish frosh-to-be. Sounds like he has a Marc Gasol type body, a bit shorter, and maybe the same type game???

Have also read about him being a stretch 4 but with moves and able to finish with both hands around the basket. I have read that he would be the first real low post presence under Lon at OU. Which is it?
I want Fran to give an opinion about how much of an impact Polla could have, like, is he expected to have 50% of the impact that his fellow countryman, Lauri Markannen, is having at Arizona, 20%, 70% or what. From the weights I have seen on line, Polla outweighs Markannen by ~40 lbs., so their games are bound to be different.

I have searched on-line for info from Fran on this and not found any info. Thanks for anyone's input.

Last edited by okiezoni; 03-20-2017 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Wanted to make it clear I am asking for info not providing it
okiezoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:40 PM   #2
Big Old Booger
Final Four
 
Big Old Booger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,256
Default Re: Fraschilla on Hannes Polla

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiezoni View Post
Should have put ???? in subject line as I am asking for info. Edit doesn't appear to allow me to change subject line.

I really want to hear Fran's thoughts on Hannes Polla, the Finnish frosh-to-be. Sounds like he has a Marc Gasol type body, a bit shorter, and maybe the same type game???

Have also read about him being a stretch 4 but with moves and able to finish with both hands around the basket. I have read that he would be the first real low post presence under Lon at OU. Which is it?
I want Fran to give an opinion about how much of an impact Polla could have, like, is he expected to have 50% of the impact that his fellow countryman, Lauri Markannen, is having at Arizona, 20%, 70% or what. From the weights I have seen on line, Polla outweighs Markannen by ~40 lbs., so their games are bound to be different.

I have searched on-line for info from Fran on this and not found any info. Thanks for anyone's input.
For what it's worth, Tony Sellars told me on twitter he's heard Polla is another Matt Freeman, so not very phsyical.

That doesn't seem to gibe with what others have shared here but I'm not sure Fran knows much about Polla other than maybe what Lon (and staff) has told him. Finding info about Hannes has been very few and far between so I'm under the belief not many know about him at all. He may be a surprise.
__________________
---------------------
“Year in and year out, Lon Kruger is as good a coach as there is in the country. His teams are always well-prepared and never take a night off.”

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------
Big Old Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:21 PM   #3
Stikboy
Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,155
Default Re: Fraschilla on Hannes Polla

I've watched quite a few online videos of Polla's games. The only similarities Polla has to Freeman is they are both white and not from the US. That's it.
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:34 PM   #4
Big Old Booger
Final Four
 
Big Old Booger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,256
Default Re: Fraschilla on Hannes Polla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikboy View Post
I've watched quite a few online videos of Polla's games. The only similarities Polla has to Freeman is they are both white and not from the US. That's it.
I figured as much based on what others have posted. I think Tony get's his info from Eschbach which used to be reliable but not so much anymore,
__________________
---------------------
“Year in and year out, Lon Kruger is as good a coach as there is in the country. His teams are always well-prepared and never take a night off.”

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------
Big Old Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:10 PM   #5
sooner8693
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 134
Default Re: Fraschilla on Hannes Polla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Old Booger View Post
I figured as much based on what others have posted. I think Tony get's his info from Eschbach which used to be reliable but not so much anymore,
The only thing Al Asscrack is reliable on these days is Porn.
sooner8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #6
okiezoni
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 16
Default Re: Fraschilla on Hannes Polla

Fran Fraschilla is supposedly an expert on International basketball (at the very least European basketball) regarding both pro and young players. That is why I want Fran's thoughts. Perhaps he doesn't know much, but I bet he does.

Someone asked about it a couple of hours ago, he got the same reply as what I read about Polla being in the low post for Lon. Polla is from the same basketball academy that Lauri Markannen came from and he is an outstanding freshman. Just want how much of an impact he might reasonably be expected to have in comparison to Markannen.

I have read that he does shoot the 3. Other sources indicate a short jumper is his range. Both descriptions say that he has moves around the basket. Nothing indicates that he should be a project.

Marc Gasol type....maybe??????

Last edited by okiezoni; 03-20-2017 at 07:10 PM. Reason: add a thought
okiezoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:16 PM   #7
Laxtothemax12
All-American
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,325
Default Re: Fraschilla on Hannes Polla

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiezoni View Post
Fran Fraschilla is supposedly an expert on International basketball (at the very least European basketball) regarding both pro and young players. That is why I want Fran's thoughts. Perhaps he doesn't know much, but I bet he does.

Someone asked about it a couple of hours ago, he got the same reply as what I read about Polla being in the low post for Lon. Polla is from the same basketball academy that Lauri Markannen came from and he is an outstanding freshman. Just want how much of an impact he might reasonably be expected to have in comparison to Markannen.

I have read that he does shoot the 3. Other sources indicate a short jumper is his range. Both descriptions say that he has moves around the basket. Nothing indicates that he should be a project.

Marc Gasol type....maybe??????

Let's hope it's Lauri Markkanen
Laxtothemax12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:18 PM   #8
coolm
Elite Eight
 
coolm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,965
Default Re: Fraschilla on Hannes Polla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Old Booger View Post
I figured as much based on what others have posted. I think Tony get's his info from Eschbach which used to be reliable but not so much anymore,
I just asked tony and he said he had no idea.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:55 PM   #9
AdaSooner
Administrator
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 12,195
Default Re: Fraschilla on Hannes Polla???

I'm not sure anyone, except maybe OU's coaching staff and his coaches in Finland, have a clue about Polla's potential. I do know from reports I read that our coaches are really high on him because they feel he can be a force down low. It's also important to note that he has been recovering from an ACL, so he may not have been himself in the limited video clips available online.

His size alone makes him an interesting prospect for the future. If he can use his bulk to defend the paint and rebound, he may not have to score too much to contribute to the team's success next season. Hannes Polla is at the very worst a candidate for a redshirt who could develop into a unique weapon someday. How many times in the last few years have we watched a big bruiser like him throw his weight around and wish "OU had a player like that?" Well, now we do.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:14 PM   #10
coolm
Elite Eight
 
coolm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,965
Default Re: Fraschilla on Hannes Polla???

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
His size alone makes him an interesting prospect for the future. If he can use his bulk to defend the paint and rebound, he may not have to score too much to contribute to the team's success next season. Hannes Polla is at the very worst a candidate for a redshirt who could develop into a unique weapon someday. How many times in the last few years have we watched a big bruiser like him throw his weight around and wish "OU had a player like that?" Well, now we do.
which is exactly why I want him. I still believe in the "can't coach size" adage. Throw in maybe some good footwork or some other positive and you're talking about a difference maker.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:23 AM   #11
MisterF
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 308
Default Re: Fraschilla on Hannes Polla???

First I've heard anything about an ACL.
MisterF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:26 AM   #12
AdaSooner
Administrator
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 12,195
Default Re: Fraschilla on Hannes Polla???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF View Post
First I've heard anything about an ACL.
Since no one had mentioned it that I can recall, I had an idea his ACL injury had not been considered in the critiques of his limited performances on video. Here's where I read it. This article also has a little more in-depth review about what we can expect from a healthy Hannes Polla:

Quote:
Domestically, there just aren’t many the size and strength of Polla throughout the high school ranks. Capable of changing shots at the basket due to the sheer size of him, the Finnish big man is a solid rebounder of the basketball. He is decently skilled with his back to the basket as he can convert on hook shots over his left shoulder and has fine touch on putback attempts. While he should not be seen as a premier athlete, Polla’s explosiveness should improve in the coming years where he recently tore his ACL last year.
http://www.hoopseen.com/news/player/...klahoma-sooner

The article below also mentions his ACL injury. As you can see, he was the leading scorer and rebounder for his team in the 2014-15 season with a 16 and 9 average, but he spent most of last year on the sidelines.

His Academy coach, Hanno Mottola, who played in the NBA for Coach Kruger, may know him better than anyone:

Quote:
“Hannes is a scorer on the block and an offensive force,” Helsinki Basketball Academy coach Hanno Mottola told Scout. “He’s an old school center that will translate in the Big 12.”
http://blacktoptv.com/oklahoma-gets-...-hannes-polla/
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:42 AM   #13
Laxtothemax12
All-American
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,325
Default Re: Fraschilla on Hannes Polla???

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
Since no one had mentioned it that I can recall, I had an idea his ACL injury had not been considered in the critiques of his limited performances on video. Here's where I read it. This article also has a little more in-depth review about what we can expect from a healthy Hannes Polla:



http://www.hoopseen.com/news/player/...klahoma-sooner

The article below also mentions his ACL injury. As you can see, he was the leading scorer and rebounder for his team in the 2014-15 season with a 16 and 9 average, but he spent most of last year on the sidelines.

His Academy coach, Hanno Mottola, who played in the NBA for Coach Kruger, may know him better than anyone:



http://blacktoptv.com/oklahoma-gets-...-hannes-polla/

Old School Lineup of McNeace, Polla, and Odomes. Height!
Laxtothemax12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:19 AM   #14
chuckb
Starter
 
chuckb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,222
Default Re: Fraschilla on Hannes Polla???

I'm sort of hoping his peak is someone like Gonzaga's Karnowski. That guy's a beast and about the same size as Polla. He's limited athletically but tremendous offensively and solid on the boards.
chuckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:56 AM   #15
vbdad
Role Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 592
Default Re: Fraschilla on Hannes Polla

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner8693 View Post
The only thing Al Asscrack is reliable on these days is Porn.
Probably knows something about the bad stuff that happens on the South Pacific islands.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:08 AM   #16
Big Old Booger
Final Four
 
Big Old Booger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,256
Default Re: Fraschilla on Hannes Polla

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolm View Post
I just asked tony and he said he had no idea.
OK...I was incorrect.

I asked Tony if Polla "is a big physical body..." and he replied "more of a stretch 4 but is 6'11" ".

I took from this he was saying he's like Freeman. This was on 1/7 so I've slept A LOT since then.
__________________
---------------------
“Year in and year out, Lon Kruger is as good a coach as there is in the country. His teams are always well-prepared and never take a night off.”

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------
Big Old Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #17
CoachTalk
Elite Eight
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,926
Default Re: Fraschilla on Hannes Polla

Big wide body, true center, work in progress.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:59 AM   #18
SoonerTraveler
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,403
Default Re: Fraschilla on Hannes Polla???

I imagine that Coach is correct ... "Work in Progress."

You know, no matter what Fran, Tony, Asscrack or “Jimmy the Recruiting Guru” says, I remain skeptical of these reports until I see the recruit with my own eyes. Especially post players. Heck, I saw Matt Freeman practice last summer with my own eyes, and I expected him to produce more than he delivered as a freshman. It is difficult for fans like me to practice patience as the big guys develop over time.

It appears to me that Coach Kruger is accumulating some size on the roster, and hopes that it develops, over time. It appears to me that OU big men recruits typically are not physical players. I am hopeful that Polla ends up being a physical presence on the block. (Gosh I miss Ryan Spangler, even if he was “only” 6’7 or 6’8.)

I am highly doubtful that Polla or Manek will be “difference-makers” as true freshmen. I am hopeful they can be by the time they are juniors.

Realistically, OU’s post play next season will largely depend on the play of Khadeen Lattin and Jamuni McNeace. I am hopeful that those players work hard and improve between now and November.

The wild card is a possible graduate transfer, but I am not getting my hopes up until someone actually transfers and enrolls at OU. I know nothing about such a possible graduate transfer, other than the insight posted on this board.
__________________
SoonerTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:48 PM   #19
AdaSooner
Administrator
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 12,195
Default Re: Fraschilla on Hannes Polla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Old Booger View Post
OK...I was incorrect.

I asked Tony if Polla "is a big physical body..." and he replied "more of a stretch 4 but is 6'11" ".

I took from this he was saying he's like Freeman. This was on 1/7 so I've slept A LOT since then.
If Tony thinks Polla is a stretch four, he couldn't possibly be more wrong. Freeman is more of a stretch four, or hopefully will be when the game he was signed to play develops into the player everyone, including me, thought he would be last season.

Polla is the polar opposite of Freeman. He's an old school, back to the basket five, perfectly suited to bang down low, occupy space, rebound and score in close on put backs and hook shots. In other words, he's what this year's team needed.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:42 PM   #20
usedtobe1
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montgomery, Texas
Posts: 2,875
Default Re: Fraschilla on Hannes Polla

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
If Tony thinks Polla is a stretch four, he couldn't possibly be more wrong. Freeman is more of a stretch four, or hopefully will be when the game he was signed to play develops into the player everyone, including me, thought he would be last season.

Polla is the polar opposite of Freeman. He's an old school, back to the basket five, perfectly suited to bang down low, occupy space, rebound and score in close on put backs and hook shots. In other words, he's what this year's team needed.
Yep, I agree 100%. Also, Polla is nothing like Markennan at Arizona who has more of a finesse game. Polla is a banger who won't be pushed around in the paint.
usedtobe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:59 PM   #21
coolm
Elite Eight
 
coolm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,965
Default Re: Fraschilla on Hannes Polla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Old Booger View Post
OK...I was incorrect.

I asked Tony if Polla "is a big physical body..." and he replied "more of a stretch 4 but is 6'11" ".

I took from this he was saying he's like Freeman. This was on 1/7 so I've slept A LOT since then.
I didnt ask tony to doubt you. I asked to see if he knew anything else about Polla now.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:29 PM   #22
okiezoni
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 16
Default Re: Fraschilla on Hannes Polla

Thanks for all of the input. Like I posted, I believe that Polla and Markannen have different games. Really want to know potential impact. Some of what I have read projects that he is in the rotation next year and more of a player than a project.

Regarding his ACL, I believe an article around the time of his commitment in September said that he was already back of the court doing basketball activities.

I am going to go with a Marc Gasol type because he is supposed to have a medium range jump shot at least.

Maybe Fraschilla keeps his info close to the vest since he is the expert on international players during the NBA draft telecast.

Thanks again and forgive Tony Sellars, I read the same report about the stretch 4, so he was misinformed.
okiezoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:17 PM   #23
Big Old Booger
Final Four
 
Big Old Booger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,256
Default Re: Fraschilla on Hannes Polla

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolm View Post
I didnt ask tony to doubt you. I asked to see if he knew anything else about Polla now.
No worries, I didn't think you asked him to doubt me. I did refer back to the tweet though because I couldn't remember exactly what he said.

As I mentioned, he never mentioned Freeman, but when he said "stretch 4" that was a connection (Freeman) made by me. So, I was wrong when I said Tony said he was like Freeman though that's sort of what he said.
__________________
---------------------
“Year in and year out, Lon Kruger is as good a coach as there is in the country. His teams are always well-prepared and never take a night off.”

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------
Big Old Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:20 PM   #24
Big Old Booger
Final Four
 
Big Old Booger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,256
Default Re: Fraschilla on Hannes Polla

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiezoni View Post
Thanks for all of the input. Like I posted, I believe that Polla and Markannen have different games. Really want to know potential impact. Some of what I have read projects that he is in the rotation next year and more of a player than a project.

Regarding his ACL, I believe an article around the time of his commitment in September said that he was already back of the court doing basketball activities.

I am going to go with a Marc Gasol type because he is supposed to have a medium range jump shot at least.

Maybe Fraschilla keeps his info close to the vest since he is the expert on international players during the NBA draft telecast.

Thanks again and forgive Tony Sellars, I read the same report about the stretch 4, so he was misinformed.


In all fairness, I was asking someone else on twitter about Polla when Tony replied. I don't even follow Sellars because he's been out of the sports beat for so long, I just never really thought of him. At the time, I wondered if he knew what he was talking about but with so little info about Polla (back then) I assumed what he was saying has as much a chance to be accurate as anything else.
__________________
---------------------
“Year in and year out, Lon Kruger is as good a coach as there is in the country. His teams are always well-prepared and never take a night off.”

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------
Big Old Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:21 PM   #25
Larry72
Role Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 794
Default Re: Fraschilla on Hannes Polla

No one mentioned the video (Finland vs Germany) that was posted here a couple of weeks ago.
To me it showed that Polla was fairly slow, had poor hands and will take a couple of years to develop.
The fellow Fin that is a Frosh at Arizona, Markannen, is several light years ahead of Hannes
Larry72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com