ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 03-20-2017, 09:39 AM   #1
SoonerTraveler
Elite Eight

Default Is the timing right for Doug Gottlieb?

Is the timing right for Doug Gottlieb?
http://newsok.com/article/5542290?slideout=1

Quote:
“Coaching is not just about Xs and Os,” said Gottlieb, who's been named head coach for Team USA in this summer's World Maccabiah Games. “Lots of guys can draw things up on paper. Lots of people can tell you about the history of basketball. What my skill is, I'm a communicator.

“Yes, I believe I have a high level of basketball intelligence. But there's plenty of basketball savants out there who can't communicate to kids and can't get them to execute it. And they also can't motivate kids. That's actually the best thing I do.”

Gottlieb said he and his wife long to return to Stillwater. His new job at FS1 already calls for a move, so why not leave Southern Cal for Stillwater? And the kids would fit, too, with their son a wrestler and their two daughters into equestrian.

“For me, it could be divine intervention,” he said. “We're ready.”
Not being familiar with the World Maccabiah Games, I looked it up. It is the third-largest sporting event in the world. The Maccabiah games recognizes all 28 current Olympic sports, plus many other sports such as chess, cricket and netball.

More at Wiki ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maccabiah_Games#Sports
Old 03-20-2017, 10:25 AM   #2
Chaser728
Role Player

Default Re: Is the timing right for Doug Gottlieb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTraveler View Post
Is the timing right for Doug Gottlieb?
http://newsok.com/article/5542290?slideout=1

Not being familiar with the World Maccabiah Games, I looked it up. It is the third-largest sporting event in the world. The Maccabiah games recognizes all 28 current Olympic sports, plus many other sports such as chess, cricket and netball.

More at Wiki ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maccabiah_Games#Sports
Looks like the stars are aligning... I listened to Guerin Emig on the Franchise this morning and his logic was that Holder cannot just go get another mid-major up and comer like Underwood... he needs to have a splash hire. His thoughts were: Doug Gottlieb meets all the criteria.
Chaser728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:26 AM   #3
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser728 View Post
Looks like the stars are aligning... I listened to Guerin Emig on the Franchise this morning and his logic was that Holder cannot just go get another mid-major up and comer like Underwood... he needs to have a splash hire. His thoughts were: Doug Gottlieb meets all the criteria.
i kind of agree. And a splash hire will cost more than what they wree willing to give to underwood
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:45 AM   #4
CoachTalk
Elite Eight

9 coaches want Dougie
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #5
sdcloud9
Starter

Their is big support for DG no doubt.

Holder bungled the Underwood situation, imo.

MH is the problem at OSU. If he hires DG then he'll have an alum at every high profile position which gives him the right to underpay big time because those coaches aren't going anywhere.

That's why Gundy doesn't like him, plus Gundy doesn't have any say so on scheduling (which is why they are playing at South Alabama, why would OSU play AT South Alabama, lol)
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:02 AM   #6
Chaser728
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
i kind of agree. And a splash hire will cost more than what they wree willing to give to underwood
Yes that's true. Thing is, as an OU Fan, part of me wants them to hire DG just to watch them spiral. The other part hates the idea because Big 12 is better with OSU being good, and I really do not think Doug has what it takes.

Here is a novel idea, what about Tom Crean for OSU? He could be a splash hire and might be willing to come in undervalued at first due to raking in the buyout money... What say you?
Chaser728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:47 AM   #7
TINY
Starter

Makes a lot more sense than some of the names poke fans think they might be getting like Gregg Marshall or Archie miller. Some believe that they can not only lure in those big names but also place a fat buy out clause in their contract. Pure delusion. Lmao!
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:00 PM   #8
tycat947
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser728 View Post
And Dougie would take a low-ball salary for a long period of time!!!
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Some people think being negative makes them sound like an expert.
tycat947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:13 PM   #9
usedtobe1
Administrator

I think Doug will make for a good head coach in time. The question is does OSU hire someone without even being an assistant anywhere to being the head coach in a power 5 conference? He would have to hire some VERY experienced assistants to help him run the program. There's a lot more to running a program than just coaching.
usedtobe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:21 PM   #10
Max Power
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcloud9 View Post
Their is big support for DG no doubt.

Holder bungled the Underwood situation, imo.

MH is the problem at OSU. If he hires DG then he'll have an alum at every high profile position which gives him the right to underpay big time because those coaches aren't going anywhere.

That's why Gundy doesn't like him, plus Gundy doesn't have any say so on scheduling (which is why they are playing at South Alabama, why would OSU play AT South Alabama, lol)
Not to get to far off topic, but the South Alabama game is the type of game Gundy wants. Holder wants more games like the one they had with Florida State a couple of years ago. Gundy wants Cupcakes to pad his win total. He has come out and said this publicly

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:25 PM   #11
WTSooner
National Champion

If Doug really did finish in 2nd place last year, it stands to reason he may have a decent shot at the job this time around.

Certainly doesn't scare me. I think at best he'll be a solid/decent coach. Certainly wouldn't expect him to turn osu into something OU should be afraid of.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #12
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Maybe you hire dougie and keep James Dickey on board or someone else with a lot of experience? I don't doubt that Dougie can handle the intangibles of coaching...but i'm worried about the day to day and coaching aspect of it. We saw how a players coach worked out with Capel and I imagine something similar could happen to Dougie
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:38 PM   #13
coolm
Elite Eight

I think thats a bad place for him to start. OSU should be his destination HC spot, not his start.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:59 PM   #14
tycat947
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
Maybe you hire dougie and keep James Dickey on board or someone else with a lot of experience? I don't doubt that Dougie can handle the intangibles of coaching...but i'm worried about the day to day and coaching aspect of it. We saw how a players coach worked out with Capel and I imagine something similar could happen to Dougie
They were talking about this on franchise yesterday but O-Stank even apparently has effed-over Dickey once before and again last year (apparently a promise to give him a chance at job) after Ford left so they weren't sure of Dickey's loyalty anymore.

I really think MH/TBP would drop basketball (and most other sports) if they could get away with it!
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Some people think being negative makes them sound like an expert.
tycat947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:55 AM   #15
MenderofRoads
Walk-on

Missouri just saw what happens when you hire a popular alumnus who isn't qualified for the job.

If Gottlieb wants to be a head coach, he's had an interesting way of going about getting there. What makes him different than virtually everyone else who had to earn the job?
Old 03-21-2017, 06:14 AM   #16
topcat
Walk-on

Will he be their John Blake hire? Barry said JB was ready and I thought that was a good endorsement.
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:06 AM   #17
vbdad
Role Player

OU should want Gottlieb to be the aggie coach. He has zero experience and there is a bunch that goes into coaching besides being smart, personable and having played basketball. I do believe he is smart and he certainly can talk.

Holder was in a horrible position with Underwood. The guy had one good year with a star player returning from the year before. Ford would have still been there had Evans and Forte not been injured. Also all of his SFA stars last year were from the previous coaching regime. You can't pay a guy 3 million a year who hasn't built a program or maintained one. He is a good guy and has coached well but maintaining a program is different than winning some games one year.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:42 AM   #18
Big Old Booger
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbdad View Post
OU should want Gottlieb to be the aggie coach. He has zero experience and there is a bunch that goes into coaching besides being smart, personable and having played basketball. I do believe he is smart and he certainly can talk.

Holder was in a horrible position with Underwood. The guy had one good year with a star player returning from the year before. Ford would have still been there had Evans and Forte not been injured. Also all of his SFA stars last year were from the previous coaching regime. You can't pay a guy 3 million a year who hasn't built a program or maintained one. He is a good guy and has coached well but maintaining a program is different than winning some games one year.
Both his dad and brother were college basketball coaches. I think his dad may have been a JUCO coach but his brother was (and maybe still is) on Cuonzo Martin's staff at Cal. So, I think while Doug has zero experience he will have resources at his disposal to help him bridge that gap. I fully expect him to hire either his dad or his brother to help.

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------
Big Old Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:51 AM   #19
Sooner04
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbdad View Post
This is some good stuff to remember. SFA came into Norman twice under Danny Kaspar (2008 and 2013) and won each game. That guy was a tremendous coach, and I'd love to know why he bailed SFA after a 26-3 season in 2013 for Texas State. Underwood inherited a loaded roster, and once all those guys moved on he too moved on for Stillwater.

The Forte and Evans injuries were definitely the dagger for Ford. The 2016 never goes off the rails in the same fashion with them. But I will say that the enthusiasm in Stillwater this year was noticeable, even after the wretched start to conference play. Underwood gets credit for turning that around.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:32 PM   #20
Max Power
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Old Booger View Post
Both his dad and brother were college basketball coaches. I think his dad may have been a JUCO coach but his brother was (and maybe still is) on Cuonzo Martin's staff at Cal. So, I think while Doug has zero experience he will have resources at his disposal to help him bridge that gap. I fully expect him to hire either his dad or his brother to help.
Just because someone's dad and brother are pilots doesn't mean I want someone who has never flown a plane taking me to Vegas. That said, as an ou dan I love the idea of doug coaching there

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:43 PM   #21
sooner 1234
Walk-on

IF OSU hires Doug ,Holder is a bigger idiot then I gave him credit for .

I love it people on here think he would be a good coach .....why ? BEcause he played and gets paid to talk about it .

Guy would be a STRETCH as an assistant ,head coach ....wow OSU may never be relevant again in basketball .

I hope like hell they hire him , we will go on another 5 year sweep .

Last edited by sooner 1234; 03-21-2017 at 06:45 PM.
sooner 1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:03 PM   #22
coolm
Elite Eight

we're not all saying we think he'll be a great coach.

I am just saying all of these things stated dont automatically mean he will be a bad coach either. He may end up being either.

I do think going to OSU first as a head coach is a bad way to start. But there have been coaches learn on the fly. You never know.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:06 PM   #23
Big Old Booger
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner 1234 View Post
IF OSU hires Doug ,Holder is a bigger idiot then I gave him credit for .

I love it people on here think he would be a good coach .....why ? BEcause he played and gets paid to talk about it .

Guy would be a STRETCH as an assistant ,head coach ....wow OSU may never be relevant again in basketball .

I hope like hell they hire him , we will go on another 5 year sweep .
If he hires the right assistants and let's them coach, and if he (and they) can recruit, he will do fine. Will he make OSU the top team in the Big 12? Doubtful but he can't be any worse than some other coaches we've seen in this conference.

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------
Big Old Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:35 AM   #24
sooner 1234
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolm View Post
we're not all saying we think he'll be a great coach.

I am just saying all of these things stated dont automatically mean he will be a bad coach either. He may end up being either.

I do think going to OSU first as a head coach is a bad way to start. But there have been coaches learn on the fly. You never know.
A guy that has never even coached at the jr high Highschool level landing a top 25 to 30 D 1 job in college...what do you think the odds are he succeeds???seriously .

Sometimes the board amazes me .
sooner 1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:48 AM   #25
Maverick008
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner 1234 View Post
A guy that has never even coached at the jr high Highschool level landing a top 25 to 30 D 1 job in college...what do you think the odds are he succeeds???seriously .

Sometimes the board amazes me .
I'm not saying Gottlieb will or won't succeed but I'm guessing you and others said the same things about how easy it was going to be to beat Iowa St. when they hired a guy with zero coaching background named Fred Hoiberg....to your point, the odds are probably extremely low that he can/will succeed but lets not act like it's NEVER been done especially when it was done in the Big 12 before.
Maverick008 is offline   Reply With Quote