ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2017, 08:06 AM   #1
CoachTalk
Elite Eight
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,195
Default 2017 possible Targets

Nothing is set in stone but there will be a likely transfer in the next couple weeks, which opens a scholly.

1. Shakur Juiston, the 6-foot-7, 220-pound forward from Hutchinson (KS) Community College. Recent offer from KU.

2. Waiting on a couple grad transfers after spring break. I
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:26 AM   #2
OUHoops
Administrator
 
OUHoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,202
Default Re: 2017 possible Targets

Just saw some clips of Juistin on Twitter. Sold. Looks to have a bit more bulk than OU's current bigs (other than Doolittle).

https://twitter.com/jeffeberle/statu...49170343403520

https://twitter.com/KWCHLance/status/839312417335226368
OUHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:27 AM   #3
dksooner
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 168
Default Re: 2017 possible Targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Nothing is set in stone but there will be a likely transfer in the next couple weeks, which opens a scholly.

1. Shakur Juiston, the 6-foot-7, 220-pound forward from Hutchinson (KS) Community College. Recent offer from KU.

2. Waiting on a couple grad transfers after spring break. I
When will we know who's leaving OU?
dksooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:31 AM   #4
Stikboy
Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,327
Default Re: 2017 possible Targets

Thanks Coach. Seems like another Doolittle in size at least. Hey, if he's a 5 and a banger then bring him on. If he can jump, rebound, and score a little.. And guard guys like Motley. We'd be kind of short though.
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:33 AM   #5
CoachTalk
Elite Eight
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,195
Default Re: 2017 possible Targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dksooner View Post
When will we know who's leaving OU?
Should know end of next week
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:34 AM   #6
OUHoops
Administrator
 
OUHoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,202
Default Re: 2017 possible Targets

https://www.zagsblog.com/2017/03/14/...t-top-schools/

Quote:
Juiston is considering Rutgers, St. Joe’s, VCU, UConn, Kansas, Iowa State, UNLV, Rhode Island and Oklahoma. He will have two years of Division 1 eligibility wherever he lands next season.
He's originally from New Jersey.
OUHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:51 AM   #7
Kewllane
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Shawnee, OK
Posts: 283
Default Re: 2017 possible Targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Should know end of next week
Is it safe to assume we're losing a PF if we're looking to replace him with a PF?
Kewllane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:24 AM   #8
AdaSooner
Administrator
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 12,702
Default Re: 2017 possible Targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikboy View Post
Thanks Coach. Seems like another Doolittle in size at least. Hey, if he's a 5 and a banger then bring him on. If he can jump, rebound, and score a little.. And guard guys like Motley. We'd be kind of short though.
He's not going to play the five at 6' 7" 220 or defend like a much taller Motley. He's a four, who according to one report I read, can defend the two, three and four. If he can score like Nolan Johnson and rebound like Earnie Abercrombie, I want him. Reigning him in may be more difficult than some may think, though. 247sports shows he's got an offer from KU and ISU, among others.

Who would he likely move out or down in our rotation? If I was Dante Buford, I would work my tail off this summer.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:29 AM   #9
dksooner
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 168
Default Re: 2017 possible Targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Should know end of next week
Thanks coach, Buford leaving makes sense but I know ada knows and he comments about Buford needs to work his tail off?
dksooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:44 AM   #10
Big Old Booger
Final Four
 
Big Old Booger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,303
Default Re: 2017 possible Targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dksooner View Post
Thanks coach, Buford leaving makes sense but I know ada knows and he comments about Buford needs to work his tail off?
I don't see Buford leaving. He's already redshirted but it could happen I guess.
__________________
---------------------
“Year in and year out, Lon Kruger is as good a coach as there is in the country. His teams are always well-prepared and never take a night off.”

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------
Big Old Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:21 AM   #11
usedtobe1
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montgomery, Texas
Posts: 3,066
Default Re: 2017 possible Targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dksooner View Post
Thanks coach, Buford leaving makes sense but I know ada knows and he comments about Buford needs to work his tail off?
I know who Ada thinks could leave, and the comment about Buford needing to work his tail off has nothing to do with that. Buford has a lot of ability but doesn't love basketball. He's a great teammate in the locker room and the team really respects him. If he dedicated himself during the off-season, he could be a very good player. Buford could decide to leave, but he has already used his redshirt year. I guess he could go to a D2 school, but I don't see that happening.

The truth is nobody knows for sure if someone is going to transfer, and who it is for sure.... if anyone. Kruger is talking with each player after the season, and is giving them a candid assessment of where they fit in the future plans. Some of them may not like what they hear and decide to look at their options.... like Je'lon Hornbeak did. Sometimes a change in scenery is good for all parties involved. I don't think LK is pushing anyone out the door like he did with Grandstaff, Manyang, and Booker. JMHO
usedtobe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:21 AM   #12
BoulderSooner
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 2,771
Default Re: 2017 possible Targets

we need a wing not a post
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:30 AM   #13
Kewllane
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Shawnee, OK
Posts: 283
Default Re: 2017 possible Targets

Another possibility is Michael Porter Jr.
Kewllane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:39 AM   #14
usedtobe1
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montgomery, Texas
Posts: 3,066
Default Re: 2017 possible Targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
we need a wing not a post
We need the best available player. Juiston is a pretty good option. He's not much bigger than Odomes and if can guard a 2, 3, or 4 maybe he can play a wing. Like Ada said, even if we want him, we're up against some pretty stiff competition in ISU and KU. I wonder if the KU offer is "commitable". I know KU has other options.

The signing date is just a month away, so it's late to be getting in on good players when other schools have been recruiting them for months. Of course, when the season is over a lot of players will be transferring or leaving for the pros.

If do do have a spot open, we need someone that can make an immediate impact. That's most likely a juco like Juiston, or a grad transfer..... which is what CoachTalk said.
usedtobe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:42 AM   #15
AdaSooner
Administrator
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 12,702
Default Re: 2017 possible Targets

Usedtobe1 is correct, my comment about Buford has nothing to do with who may be leaving or staying. What I'm saying is that I see Dante as the player who would be hurt the most if Juiston picks OU. That's especially true if the report I read that Juiston can guard three positions is accurate, because defense is not one of Dante's strengths.

For the record I was given a name sometime ago. I shared it with usedtobe1, but I have no intentions of posting it on the board. My reason is simple. I'm not able to confirm if it's accurate, so it would not be fair to the player if what I was told turns out to be wrong. Besides, a report I received several weeks ago could easily have changed by now.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:52 AM   #16
BoulderSooner
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 2,771
Default Re: 2017 possible Targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobe1 View Post
We need the best available player. Juiston is a pretty good option. He's not much bigger than Odomes and if can guard a 2, 3, or 4 maybe he can play a wing. Like Ada said, even if we want him, we're up against some pretty stiff competition in ISU and KU. I wonder if the KU offer is "commitable". I know KU has other options.

The signing date is just a month away, so it's late to be getting in on good players when other schools have been recruiting them for months. Of course, when the season is over a lot of players will be transferring or leaving for the pros.

If do do have a spot open, we need someone that can make an immediate impact. That's most likely a juco like Juiston, or a grad transfer..... which is what CoachTalk said.
ku is likely going to lose all 5 starters so I would guess that it is
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:53 AM   #17
Soonerinkc
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,615
Default Re: 2017 possible Targets

Ada, ya think by end of week? or waiting til after tourny?

Also, if ya can...will it "surprise" us or not? lol...never hurts to ask!
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:00 AM   #18
Mac
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: bay area ca
Posts: 3,153
Default Re: 2017 possible Targets

If Dante has already used a Redshirt year, and doesn't love basketball, It wouldn't make since for him to move on... Apparently he doesn't care about playing basketball right? I think if someone does move on it'll be James, he could be a career 6th man, but there's no telling who OU might sign between now and his Sr year, moving him down the ration...
__________________
“The area you recruit from often has to do with the level your program has reached,” said Auriemma
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:14 AM   #19
Soonerinkc
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,615
Default Re: 2017 possible Targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
If Dante has already used a Redshirt year, and doesn't love basketball, It wouldn't make since for him to move on... Apparently he doesn't care about playing basketball right? I think if someone does move on it'll be James, he could be a career 6th man, but there's no telling who OU might sign between now and his Sr year, moving him down the ration...
If he really doesn't love ball, then go to D2 school, play right away, probably be a starter, get your degree... move on. Just a thought. To stay at OU, practice, work hard, and not play would just make it worse, IMHO.

I also see getting a degree from OU means more to some...and the trips, free stuff, etc...much more at OU than a D2 school.
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:15 AM   #20
usedtobe1
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montgomery, Texas
Posts: 3,066
Default Re: 2017 possible Targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
ku is likely going to lose all 5 starters so I would guess that it is
Do you really believe they're losing all 5 starters? They lose Mason, Jackson, and Lucas. By all accounts Graham is returning along with Mykhailiuk, and both start. They will also return Bragg and Vick if they aren't in jail. Then their 7' center Azuibuke returns .... out with injury.

They have the #5 recruit in Billy Preston coming in who will start from day one, along with a couple of SG transfers that are pretty good. The cupboard isn't bare at KU, and Juiston would have a lot of competition for playing time.
usedtobe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:18 AM   #21
Big Old Booger
Final Four
 
Big Old Booger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,303
Default Re: 2017 possible Targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobe1 View Post
Do you really believe they're losing all 5 starters? They lose Mason, Jackson, and Lucas. By all accounts Graham is returning along with Mykhailiuk, and both start. They will also return Bragg and Vick if they aren't in jail. Then their 7' center Azuibuke returns .... out with injury.

They have the #5 recruit in Billy Preston coming in who will start from day one, along with a couple of SG transfers that are pretty good. The cupboard isn't bare at KU, and Juiston would have a lot of competition for playing time.
Lots of talk Mykhailiuk may be gone to go play pro in Europe. I've heard he almost left after last season but decided to return.
__________________
---------------------
“Year in and year out, Lon Kruger is as good a coach as there is in the country. His teams are always well-prepared and never take a night off.”

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------
Big Old Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:32 AM   #22
AdaSooner
Administrator
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 12,702
Default Re: 2017 possible Targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerinkc View Post
Ada, ya think by end of week? or waiting til after tourny?

Also, if ya can...will it "surprise" us or not? lol...never hurts to ask!
I wish I knew, kc. I have a feeling nothing will surprise you, including my response.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:44 PM   #23
kfaerber
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 89
Default Re: 2017 possible Targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewllane View Post
Another possibility is Michael Porter Jr.
One of the Mizzou Rivals guys is apparently saying that MPJ might do his one year at Mizzou even without Romar. Maybe he'd rather play with Trae some more. Lol
kfaerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:44 PM   #24
soonerjunky
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 133
Default Re: 2017 possible Targets

Can someone please spill the beans on why Grandstaff left? I know it was "mutual", but what in the world was wrong with him here? He transfered again and seems to be working his tail off to provide for his son.
soonerjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:54 PM   #25
usedtobe1
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montgomery, Texas
Posts: 3,066
Default Re: 2017 possible Targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerjunky View Post
Can someone please spill the beans on why Grandstaff left? I know it was "mutual", but what in the world was wrong with him here? He transfered again and seems to be working his tail off to provide for his son.
He didn't like going to class. It's a team rule and exceptions can't be made. Austin didn't like the student part of student/athlete.
usedtobe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com