ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 06-08-2015, 06:43 AM   #1
SoonerNorm
Super Moderator

Default Softball

Starting a new thread for just for softball.
SoonerNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:25 AM   #2
j2d2
All-American

Default Re: Softball

It's not likely that we will again see the likes of Lauren Chamberlin, ever. Pendly never hit especially well in the playoffs but is tearing it up in the pros already. Has there ever been a class anywhere with two such as Lauren and Shelby? According to the ratings, Gasso has reloaded big-time with the incoming class. I'm especially anxious to see what those two pitchers can do. If Stevens gets her mojo back, will one redshirt? Two? Will Paige develop another pitch to go with her repetoir? 10 years ago women's sports was nowhere except for basketball. Now look. Cant wait for next season.
j2d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:56 AM   #3
oldenslow
Walk-on

In all the time Coach Gasso had been at OU, I don't remember any player red shirting.. Maybe for a medical, but that would be the only reason.
oldenslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:29 AM   #4
tycat947
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenslow View Post
In all the time Coach Gasso had been at OU, I don't remember any player red shirting.. Maybe for a medical, but that would be the only reason.
Yes, women rarely, if ever, redshirt, in any sport, unless there is an injury.
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Some people think being negative makes them sound like an expert.
tycat947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:23 AM   #5
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2d2 View Post
It's not likely that we will again see the likes of Lauren Chamberlin, ever. Pendly never hit especially well in the playoffs but is tearing it up in the pros already. Has there ever been a class anywhere with two such as Lauren and Shelby? According to the ratings, Gasso has reloaded big-time with the incoming class. I'm especially anxious to see what those two pitchers can do. If Stevens gets her mojo back, will one redshirt? Two? Will Paige develop another pitch to go with her repetoir? 10 years ago women's sports was nowhere except for basketball. Now look. Cant wait for next season.
I think we will have some great hitters next year. I don't think there will be much drop off - shoot Brittany Finney (the pitcher) hit 38 homers in HS - the Kansas State Record. There is no doubt that Sydney Romero is the real deal - she is currently SS on the USA Junior National Team. I think what you will see next year is a young and hungry talented softball team.

I doubt Stevens will be in the mix next year. You could tell the lack of confidence that Gasso had in her final interviews about the season. It will be all about Paige, Finney, and Chestnut. The biggest change with Paige will be increased velocity with control. They slowed her down to 65 mph this year for control - I expect she will be humming at 68-70. Don't be surprised to see the cropduster show up.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #6
soonermike22
Walk-on

We also lost leadership and defense from this years seniors. Probably good with Miller, Self and Paige as leaders, but how will our defense be? Shelby, Lauren, and Casey always looked smooth and confident. Do we have adequate or better infielders?
soonermike22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:57 PM   #7
Delta Sooner
Walk-on

No replacement for Pendley at shortstop but I think the other two we can have similar play at those positions.
Delta Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:49 PM   #8
sybarite
National Champion

I think Knighten and Romero are supposed to be among the best middle infielder prospects ever. I figure short and second are covered. Romero may only hit 65 home runs instead of 86.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:41 AM   #9
SoonerNorm
Super Moderator

Lauren and Shelby will be on CBS Sports Network this evening at 6pm.
SoonerNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:21 PM   #10
sybarite
National Champion

UVerse 643
Direct 221
Old 06-08-2015, 01:43 PM   #11
Delta Sooner
Walk-on

Our pitching staff will need to be the strength of the team next season as you lose two of the top hitters in the Gasso era. The only established hitters remaining are Erin Miller, Kady Self, and Paige Parker. There will be a lot of competition in the fall to see who will fill out the lineup.
Delta Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:51 PM   #12
sybarite
National Champion

I don't know if our hitting will fall off that much, especially if we consider effective hitting. If you exclude Lauren and Shelby totally, OU still had more home runs than Bama did at the end of the Super-Regionals. We will retain a considerable amount of power, and we are supposedly adding a little power to the lineup.

I look for Erin Miller and Kady Self to have superior years, probably hitting 400+ with at least 12-15 home runs. That isn't that much of an improvement. The key will be whether they pick up on their key hitting or not. Self did have a home run in the Supers. But, both struggled with people on base at times late in the year.

Paige may have the best bat control on the team. She seems difficult to strike out with runners on base. She showed power early, but backed off late. I wonder if she isn't a 15+ home run hitter who will hit 400+?

Nicole looked like a superstar in the making, and Patti is still extremely high on her. She did struggle late in the year. She went from someone with a perfect swing and good bad control to someone who had lost the zone. She could easily be a 400+, 15 HR type of player. She has the tools.

I was rather high on Whitney Ellis at the end of the year. As others were receding a bit, she was getting some consistent hits, although the people in front of her were not getting on base often. She has some power which she didn't show this year. She went from 12 to about 2 home runs, but increased her doubles to about 12. She was first or second on the team in doubles with Shelby. If she can lay off the rise ball, she can be a good hitter. She hits it hard when she hits it, and she was over a 300 hitter.

I though Kelsey Arnold was an OK hitter with some power once she switched back to right-handed. She doesn't have the speed of a slapper. She can at least hit around 300. Needs to learn the strike zone from the right side.

I think that Knighten and Romero will both hit at least 300, probably closer to 400. Both have some power. Lundberg may not hit 400, but I would be surprised if she didn't hit at least ten home runs.

I just don't think we'll suffer that much in power, maybe from about 105 to 85. I think we may fall from about 385 to about 355. Most teams don't have that. We didn't show it in the playoffs. Let's see how we prepare for those.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:19 PM   #13
tycat947
Elite Eight

I agree. I don't think our hitting will drop off much, if any. I just want Paige to have quality back ups, whether Kelsey gets her mojo back or the freshmen arrive ready to play. Preferably both happen!
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Old 04-22-2017, 10:27 PM   #14
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Girls finally got their bats going in the 10th today. Nice win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:01 AM   #15
Stringmusic
Role Player

Baylor pitched their ace today for 10 innings. Will be interesting to see who BU pitches on Sunday. I think OU starts Mendes then goes to Lowry then Parker. Space them out, save something for the 3rd game. We need to sweep or win 2 of 3.
Stringmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:20 AM   #16
SoonerTraveler
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmusic View Post
Baylor pitched their ace today for 10 innings. Will be interesting to see who BU pitches on Sunday. I think OU starts Mendes then goes to Lowry then Parker. Space them out, save something for the 3rd game. We need to sweep or win 2 of 3.
Baylor's #2 pitcher is also tough. Sophomore Gia Rodoni (Los Banos, Calif.) has a record of 11-1 and an ERA of 1.81; with 107 strike-outs in 92 innings.

http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/w-...ni_984244.html

The #3 pitcher is a freshman (Shelby McGlaun) that has pitched 57 innings in 17 games, with an ERA of 1.95.

The Baylor Ace (Kelsee Selman) played her first two years at LSU before transferring to Baylor. She is a Texas girl from Lufkin.

Baylor Stats:
http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/w-.../teamcume.html

The double-header will be a battle today.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:25 AM   #17
tycat947
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTraveler View Post
Baylor's #2 pitcher is also tough. Sophomore Gia Rodoni (Los Banos, Calif.) has a record of 11-1 and an ERA of 1.81; with 107 strike-outs in 92 innings.

http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/w-...ni_984244.html

The #3 pitcher is a freshman (Shelby McGlaun) that has pitched 57 innings in 17 games, with an ERA of 1.95.

The Baylor Ace (Kelsee Selman) played her first two years at LSU before transferring to Baylor. She is a Texas girl from Lufkin.

Baylor Stats:
http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/w-.../teamcume.html

The double-header will be a battle today.
Surprised she didn't go to aTm. Lufkin is aggieland!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-23-2017, 10:48 AM   #18
sybarite
National Champion

OUTwitter says it is Parker.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:14 AM   #19
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Hardy View Post
Girls finally got their bats going in the 10th today. Nice win.

Great win an a monumental confidence booster. Now the gals need to sweep the bears Sunday. My guess is both Lopez and Parker start tomorrow.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:51 PM   #20
oketex
Walk-on

Can someone post what this weeks softball schedule is. Thanks

oketex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:23 PM   #21
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Tennessee at A&M, LSU at South Carolina, UCLA host Arizona, Alabama host Auburn and Oregon host FSU. OU plays at OSU Wednesday and Saturday and in Norman Friday.

OU dropped one slot in the rpi to #13 behind LSU which moved up despite splitting their series with Mizzou in Baton Rouge 2-1.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:09 PM   #22
SoonerTraveler
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by oketex View Post
Can someone post what this weeks softball schedule is. Thanks
Complete Schedule:
http://www.soonersports.com/SportSel...B_OEM_ID=31000

Wednesday; 6:30 vs. OSU in Stillwater
Friday; 6:00 vs. OSU in Norman
Saturday; 4:00 vs. OSU in Stillwater
Old 05-02-2017, 08:17 AM   #23
SuperHoops
Role Player

Based on early weather forecasts it's doubtful that Wednesday's game gets played as scheduled.
SuperHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:07 AM   #24
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Rain forecast I saw projected very light rain (0.16") but a move to Thursday would provide much better weather (+10 degrees and -5 mph wind).

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/sti...t/330129?day=2
Old 05-02-2017, 03:28 PM   #25
sybarite
National Champion

http://www.soonersports.com/?sport=w-gym
Shay Knighten and Paige Parker
Big Twelve Player and Pitcher of the Week