ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 11-09-2021, 09:26 PM   #26
soonerstar
All-Conference

Default Re: OU vs South Dakota

Defense and turnovers looked the same as it did with the Coales.
soonerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:31 PM   #27
TheMont
Role Player

My goodness, how quickly this board goes negative. New era, same ol stuff from this board.
TheMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:34 PM   #28
Soonercuda
All-Conference

I think eventually Svoboda plays the most minutes at center…she did some good things tonight. Lampkin and Scott can eat up some minutes and provide some fouls but I don’t think they will give much on offense. Our big 3 did show up…19 for Madi and Ana and 17 for Taylor. I thought Vann gave us some good bench minutes also. Gabby hopefully gets back soon…she will give us a 4th really good player.
Soonercuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:02 PM   #29
Soonercuda
All-Conference

Game winning play

Note that we go to Madi on the side with Taylor on the wing. Jennie knows they can’t help off Taylor so it is Madi one on one. Advantage Madi. Good play design by Jennie and her staff.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:02 PM   #30
OUALUMinTX
Walk-on

Oklahoma Basketball
@OU_WBBall
Came and �������� it.

Oklahoma comes to Vermillion and snaps South Dakota’s 20-game home winning streak to start 1-0 on the season!
OUALUMinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:31 PM   #31
Soonercuda
All-Conference

Box score
https://soonersports.com/sports/wome...boxscore/11703

Jennie Postgame Interview: https://soonersports.com/watch/?Arch...6&type=Archive

Madi Postgame Interview: https://soonersports.com/watch/?Arch...5&type=Archive

Last edited by Soonercuda; 11-10-2021 at 07:15 AM. Reason: added postgame
Old 11-10-2021, 10:47 AM   #32
61sooner
Walk-on

Looks like a game OU might have lost in the previous couple of years.
Good 1st game start for the season with a new coaching staff.
61sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:43 AM   #33
MsProudSooner
National Champion

There were lots of things to like about this game unless you are someone who never likes anything.

1) By the second half, it was as if Ana had never been gone. It's great to have her back.
2) Ana, Maddie, and TRob were clutch!
3) Ana, Maddie, and TRob didn't have to play 40 minutes each! Their subs didn't do a bad job.
4). We played in a hostile environment against a team that had won 20 home games in a row and came away with a victory. That's great experience for this team.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 12:45 PM   #34
scrybe
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMont View Post
My goodness, how quickly this board goes negative. New era, same ol stuff from this board.
This. First game of the season, playing on the road against a team with a 20-game home win streak. One top player out, another top player playing her first game in two seasons.

Sooners win, but it's not easy to know from reading some of the comments.
Old 11-10-2021, 01:25 PM   #35
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Look -- I see the shortcomings too. But it's the first game, under a knew coach and a lot of new new players on the court. It wasn't ever going to be mindblowing runaway. That team was solid.

Plus, we were missing a great shooter and solid rebounding starter in Gregory.

Let's all take a deep breath, watch with great expectations, and hope.

There isn't a doubt in my mind that we are going to be a lot better by the end of the season than we are now or than we have been for the last 10 years.

Exhale folks. Enjoy the ride. If the same poor stuff is going on half way through the season, we'll all have plenty of time to gripe and complain our heads off.
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 01:26 PM   #36
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe View Post
This. First game of the season, playing on the road against a team with a 20-game home win streak. One top player out, another top player playing her first game in two seasons.

Sooners win, but it's not easy to know from reading some of the comments.
It's enough to make you think that some people are just trolls.

Old 11-10-2021, 02:26 PM   #37
inoref
All-American

Give her time at least couple of years before giving her the Coale shoulder
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 02:52 PM   #38
betterstill
Walk-on

I am very glad we have this new coach. I hope that the discussion of every game does not come down to how she is doing versus how people think Coale would have done.
betterstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 03:32 PM   #39
jmizzy4ou
All-American

Excellent win!!! Very happy to see it. I was especially happy to see Ana back, and playing so well.
jmizzy4ou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 04:53 PM   #40
SoonerinNC
All-Conference

Charlie Creme of ESPN selected Oklahoma's win as the most impressive yesterday by a non-Top 25 team. Voepel calls it a big time win for Oklahoma.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 05:12 PM   #41
bob the nailer
Walk-on

Big win in a game we would have lost last year. Watched the replay of the last 5 seconds, glad we didn't get a foul call, maybe a little too aggressive going after a loose ball with 5 sec to play way in the back court.
bob the nailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 07:38 PM   #42
soonermom1000
Walk-on

Great game girls.....I am already enjoying this new season....Good things are headed our way. I LOVE to see the "bench" with a full crew. Playing with 7 girls was just too tiring for the girls last year. Jennie played 10 girls last night. The only thing we need to tighten up on...is the turnovers....43 in two games!! That won't work when Big 12 play starts. Main thing is....WE WON !!!!!
soonermom1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:01 PM   #43
betterstill
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerinNC View Post
Charlie Creme of ESPN selected Oklahoma's win as the most impressive yesterday by a non-Top 25 team. Voepel calls it a big time win for Oklahoma.
That is impressive. I had a good feeling about the win and am glad to see sportscasters were impressed.
betterstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 01:18 PM   #44
cowboysooner
Starter

just watched the second half, so small sample size.

I liked the rotation and how she played the kids. I liked our fundamentals better than in the last few years. Defensively the kids stance and anticipation of movement were improved. Both ends, the kids used good fundamentals on the board (blocked out instead of standing there and jumping up). Offensively, I thought there were far fewer threes taken where the shooter was something other than square to the basket (they weren't falling right or left, but rather going to the rim with there momentum).

Lampkin and Emma were used well in the post. Loved the Washington kid. She is super athletic and fast. Her handles need to improve a lot and had too many unnecessary fouls. Very simply, she makes us a different level team in my opinion.

Too many turnovers and we certainly need to work on some areas that will help us cut down on those. But, I didn't see a bunch of silly unnecessary turnovers such as from passes to nowhere etc, which we have seen too much of in recent years.

Too early for me to have much of an opinion on what we might do this year, but so far so good for me.
cowboysooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 01:22 PM   #45
cowboysooner
Starter

BTW and speaking of rebounding, I didn't understand the foul on Madi late in the game where she was blocking out and the girl jumped up from behind her and came down on top of her, and they called the foul on Madi. Looked text book by Madi to me, but maybe I don't know the rule.

Can't madi "back her out" with her rear end when she is blocking out? Do any of you know the rule on that?
Old 11-11-2021, 01:44 PM   #46
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysooner View Post
BTW and speaking of rebounding, I didn't understand the foul on Madi late in the game where she was blocking out and the girl jumped up from behind her and came down on top of her, and they called the foul on Madi. Looked text book by Madi to me, but maybe I don't know the rule.

Can't madi "back her out" with her rear end when she is blocking out? Do any of you know the rule on that?
They never seem to call 'over the back' like they used to.

Old 11-11-2021, 02:00 PM   #47
cowboysooner
Starter

Exactly Proud, I thought that was an obvious "over the back". But again, I'm not sure I know the rule. Clearly, Madi had inside position, then she puts the girl behind her "on her hip" as we used to say, and was backing her out. So, I thought this was perfect form. But maybe I don't know the rule. Looked like that is how you teach it to me. Looking for someone to educate me on the rule.
Old 11-11-2021, 02:32 PM   #48
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysooner View Post
Exactly Proud, I thought that was an obvious "over the back". But again, I'm not sure I know the rule. Clearly, Madi had inside position, then she puts the girl behind her "on her hip" as we used to say, and was backing her out. So, I thought this was perfect form. But maybe I don't know the rule. Looked like that is how you teach it to me. Looking for someone to educate me on the rule.
Had Madi extended her arms behind her back to pin the girl? I seem to remember that they won't allow that any more.

Old 11-11-2021, 03:37 PM   #49
scrybe
All-American

I also thought an "over the back" should have been called on the SD player.

And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that half or more of our turnovers were on traveling calls. And several of those were due to our players' feet slipping on the floor when they tried to make a cut or came to a sudden stop.
Old 11-11-2021, 04:43 PM   #50
soonermike22
Walk-on

Having to miss the start of the season and relying on media and this board to keep me up to date. Thanks to all
With a new coach, and a totally different style you should anticipate some confusion at times, and lulls in good play. BUT..it sounds like we played hard the whole game, and went on the road against a good team and beat them. Made a clutch shot late to win. It sounds promising, for the first time in several years we may be on a path of improvement.
And looks like we are very active in recruiting players.
I have hope for an exciting season, with a winning record
soonermike22 is offline   Reply With Quote