ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Campus Corner

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2020, 10:33 AM   #4876
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 12,181
Default Re: March Madness and Covid-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post
An again with feeling, the death rate for England, Spain, France and Italy are much higher than ours. Now are they considered countries or not? If you have evidence to support that they are not countries then share it. In any event, Ihbby you are a kook with room to spare.


Ok... lets take a look at this chart.

You are saying we are doing better than other countries because of this metric, right?
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:33 AM   #4877
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,850
Default Re: March Madness and Covid-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
All metrics are fair... If we represented a huge % of the worlds population it wouldn't be fair, the number would be expected. Showing our death totals is valid, especially considering we only represent 5% or so of the worlds population.
what? How is it fair to say we are so much worse by showing cumulative totals compared to much smaller countries? Per capita is a leveling tool. Why not use it?
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:35 AM   #4878
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,850
Default Re: March Madness and Covid-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post


Ok... lets take a look at this chart.

You are saying we are doing better than other countries because of this metric, right?
I think that this graph is a good one.

I think the best info to compare countries and their effectiveness is deaths per capital, positive testing rate, tests per capita, and positive cases per capita
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:35 AM   #4879
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 12,181
Default Re: March Madness and Covid-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
what? How is it fair to say we are so much worse by showing cumulative totals compared to much smaller countries? Per capita is a leveling tool. Why not use it?
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:37 AM   #4880
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,323
Default Re: March Madness and Covid-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post


Ok... lets take a look at this chart.

You are saying we are doing better than other countries because of this metric, right?

With room to spare.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:02 AM   #4881
mict085
Starter
 
mict085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,338
Default Re: March Madness and Covid-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post


Ok... lets take a look at this chart.

You are saying we are doing better than other countries because of this metric, right?
You canít really look at the case fatality rate early on because it will show a much higher death rate than what it actually is because of multiple factors. Mainly, not enough testing and with Covid, not testing asymptotic carriers. As we move forward and test more asymptotic people as well as more testing in general, the fatality rates will continue to go down. Weíll have to wait and see when itís all over what the real fatality rate is, but some current projections are between 0.2-0.5%. Still worse than the flu but not as bad as originally thought.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:20 AM   #4882
Eielson
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,960
Default Re: March Madness and Covid-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolm View Post
you realize it's not a contest? many countries had their crap together enough to...
You say this isn't a contest, and then proceed to compare us to other countries in the very next sentence. It's a good thing this isn't a competition, because you are not keeping up.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:38 AM   #4883
coolm
National Champion
 
coolm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,519
Default Re: March Madness and Covid-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
You say this isn't a contest, and then proceed to compare us to other countries in the very next sentence. It's a good thing this isn't a competition, because you are not keeping up.
whatever you say.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:39 AM   #4884
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,850
Default Re: March Madness and Covid-19

I'm interested to see what happens over the next two weeks. Logic tells us that deaths should start to come up in Oklahoma. What if cases continue to drop off? Does that tell us the spikes were from protests? What if they stay elevated? Does that tell us they were from opening back up?
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:41 AM   #4885
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,323
Default Re: March Madness and Covid-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
I'm interested to see what happens over the next two weeks. Logic tells us that deaths should start to come up in Oklahoma. What if cases continue to drop off? Does that tell us the spikes were from protests? What if they stay elevated? Does that tell us they were from opening back up?

Time will tell and not forked tongues.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:42 AM   #4886
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,850
Default Re: March Madness and Covid-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post
Time will tell and not forked tongues.
Time will tell indeed.
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:31 PM   #4887
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,333
Default Re: March Madness and Covid-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
I'm interested to see what happens over the next two weeks. Logic tells us that deaths should start to come up in Oklahoma. What if cases continue to drop off? Does that tell us the spikes were from protests? What if they stay elevated? Does that tell us they were from opening back up?
Yes sir. This is what I've been saying for the past week or two. We need to give it a little more time, and see if the hospitalizations and deaths jump back up. I personally don't think they will. At least, not on par with how the "cases" have spiked. And that would be great news.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:42 PM   #4888
WaymanFan
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,014
Default Re: March Madness and Covid-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Yes sir. This is what I've been saying for the past week or two. We need to give it a little more time, and see if the hospitalizations and deaths jump back up. I personally don't think they will. At least, not on par with how the "cases" have spiked. And that would be great news.
That seems to be the recent trend. For today, there are 34,555 new cases (way too many), but only 288 deaths. That's another day of less than 1%...definitely a good sign, but need this continue. I think we'd all love for this virus to weaken...since it doesn't look like the overall numbers are going down anytime soon.
WaymanFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:01 PM   #4889
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,323
Default Re: March Madness and Covid-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
That seems to be the recent trend. For today, there are 34,555 new cases (way too many), but only 288 deaths. That's another day of less than 1%...definitely a good sign, but need this continue. I think we'd all love for this virus to weaken...since it doesn't look like the overall numbers are going down anytime soon.
I agree for we've been punished enough by not just the virus, but vitriolic people and their quest and thirst for power. For me one is worse than the other on certain levels for one makes it hard to trust some people.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:08 PM   #4890
mict085
Starter
 
mict085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,338
Default Re: March Madness and Covid-19

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53218704


Why are all these viruses coming out of China? WTH are they doing?
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:27 PM   #4891
Eielson
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,960
Default Re: March Madness and Covid-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
I'm interested to see what happens over the next two weeks. Logic tells us that deaths should start to come up in Oklahoma. What if cases continue to drop off? Does that tell us the spikes were from protests? What if they stay elevated? Does that tell us they were from opening back up?
COVID has increased because of riots.
COVID has increased because of reopening.
COVID deaths will increase because the recent increase in infection incidence.
COVID death rates likely will NOT be as high as they were.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:51 PM   #4892
MsProudSooner
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,883
Default Re: March Madness and Covid-19

Which would save more lives in the long run:

A). People who are more at risk being quarantined for the next 18 months to 2 years in the hope that a vaccine is developed and everyone else 'developing' herd immunity'.

or

B) People who are more at risk being quarantined and everyone else wearing masks until a vaccine is developed.

I understand the worries about the economy and depression. Everyone in my family is very fortunate and can work from home 100% but I know that's not true for lots of people. But I don't understand why some who want everything to open up aren't willing to wear a mask in public when it's been proven to slow down the transmission of the virus.
__________________
The pessimist may be right in the long run, but the optimist has a better time during the trip.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:24 AM   #4893
mict085
Starter
 
mict085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,338
Default Re: March Madness and Covid-19

Itís becoming more apparent the riots and protests have helped spike Covid cases. Of course, liberals will still maintain thatís not the case and be hypocrites about the whole thing. If your a liberal gathering for a liberal cause, youíre immune to Covid. If youíre a conservative, youíre killing people and destroying the nation. Itís hypocrisy.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:38 AM   #4894
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 12,181
Default Re: March Madness and Covid-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
It’s becoming more apparent the riots and protests have helped spike Covid cases. Of course, liberals will still maintain that’s not the case and be hypocrites about the whole thing. If your a liberal gathering for a liberal cause, you’re immune to Covid. If you’re a conservative, you’re killing people and destroying the nation. It’s hypocrisy.
I have no doubt that Covid has been spread to people through protests, but to blame it primarily on that makes absolutely no sense.

Let me give you one example to prove my point. One Walmart will typically have up to 10,000 customers in a single week, on average. About 1,500 customers per day.

There are 84 walmarts in Oklahoma.

1,500 people per day x 84 walmarts = 126,000 people PER day going into walmarts. Many not wearing masks. Touching boxes, shelves, toilets, produce, shopping carts, etc.

Now think about that number and add:
  • Quiktrips
  • Kum & GO
  • Reasors
  • Target
  • Lowes
  • Home Depot
  • Bed Bath and Beyond
  • Best Buy
  • Banks
  • Mathis Brothers
  • Tulsa Zoo
  • Aquarium
  • Fast Food Restaurants
  • Sit Down Restaurants
  • Playgrounds
  • Salons
  • Haircut places
  • Gyms
  • Bars
  • CVS
  • Walgreens
  • Sprouts
  • The Mall
  • Sams
  • Costco

The number of people protesting in Oklahoma is probably less than 200 total people PER DAY. 1,500 people will go into ONE walmart store today. They will also go into all t hese other stores, restaurants, shops, etc.

Does Covid spread at a protest? Absolutely. Is it statistically ANYWHERE near on the level of what I listed above? No. It's a fraction. A molecule. An atom.
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES

Last edited by thebigabd; 06-30-2020 at 09:43 AM.
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:43 AM   #4895
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,323
Default Re: March Madness and Covid-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
Itís becoming more apparent the riots and protests have helped spike Covid cases. Of course, liberals will still maintain thatís not the case and be hypocrites about the whole thing. If your a liberal gathering for a liberal cause, youíre immune to Covid. If youíre a conservative, youíre killing people and destroying the nation. Itís hypocrisy.
What would you expect from the "party of convenience."
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:05 AM   #4896
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,850
Default Re: March Madness and Covid-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
I have no doubt that Covid has been spread to people through protests, but to blame it primarily on that makes absolutely no sense.

Let me give you one example to prove my point. One Walmart will typically have up to 10,000 customers in a single week, on average. About 1,500 customers per day.

There are 84 walmarts in Oklahoma.

1,500 people per day x 84 walmarts = 126,000 people PER day going into walmarts. Many not wearing masks. Touching boxes, shelves, toilets, produce, shopping carts, etc.

Now think about that number and add:
  • Quiktrips
  • Kum & GO
  • Reasors
  • Target
  • Lowes
  • Home Depot
  • Bed Bath and Beyond
  • Best Buy
  • Banks
  • Mathis Brothers
  • Tulsa Zoo
  • Aquarium
  • Fast Food Restaurants
  • Sit Down Restaurants
  • Playgrounds
  • Salons
  • Haircut places
  • Gyms
  • Bars
  • CVS
  • Walgreens
  • Sprouts
  • The Mall
  • Sams
  • Costco

The number of people protesting in Oklahoma is probably less than 200 total people PER DAY. 1,500 people will go into ONE walmart store today. They will also go into all t hese other stores, restaurants, shops, etc.

Does Covid spread at a protest? Absolutely. Is it statistically ANYWHERE near on the level of what I listed above? No. It's a fraction. A molecule. An atom.
Most of the places you mentioned were never shut down
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:09 AM   #4897
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,850
Default Re: March Madness and Covid-19

Another new record today

- 13,757 cases (+585)
- 387 deaths (+2)
- 315 hospitalizations (as of 6/29)
- 4.4% positive rate (as of 6/29)
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:16 AM   #4898
steverocks35
Elite Eight
 
steverocks35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,865
Default Re: March Madness and Covid-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
Another new record today

- 13,757 cases (+585)
- 387 deaths (+2)
- 315 hospitalizations (as of 6/29)
- 4.4% positive rate (as of 6/29)
That 4.4 is not the positivity rate, thatís the percent increase in cases. The positivity rate right now is 6.7%.
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:42 AM   #4899
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,323
Default Re: March Madness and Covid-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
I have no doubt that Covid has been spread to people through protests, but to blame it primarily on that makes absolutely no sense.

Let me give you one example to prove my point. One Walmart will typically have up to 10,000 customers in a single week, on average. About 1,500 customers per day.

There are 84 walmarts in Oklahoma.

1,500 people per day x 84 walmarts = 126,000 people PER day going into walmarts. Many not wearing masks. Touching boxes, shelves, toilets, produce, shopping carts, etc.

Now think about that number and add:
  • Quiktrips
  • Kum & GO
  • Reasors
  • Target
  • Lowes
  • Home Depot
  • Bed Bath and Beyond
  • Best Buy
  • Banks
  • Mathis Brothers
  • Tulsa Zoo
  • Aquarium
  • Fast Food Restaurants
  • Sit Down Restaurants
  • Playgrounds
  • Salons
  • Haircut places
  • Gyms
  • Bars
  • CVS
  • Walgreens
  • Sprouts
  • The Mall
  • Sams
  • Costco

The number of people protesting in Oklahoma is probably less than 200 total people PER DAY. 1,500 people will go into ONE walmart store today. They will also go into all t hese other stores, restaurants, shops, etc.

Does Covid spread at a protest? Absolutely. Is it statistically ANYWHERE near on the level of what I listed above? No. It's a fraction. A molecule. An atom.
Mathis Brothers? Now that's funny. You forgot to include Haimy's Acupuncture Emporium.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:10 AM   #4900
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,850
Default Re: March Madness and Covid-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
That 4.4 is not the positivity rate, thatís the percent increase in cases. The positivity rate right now is 6.7%.
source? I'm pretty sure it is the overall positive rateThese numbers come from someone that puts out daily updates
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com