ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Campus Corner

Old 09-06-2018, 09:17 PM   #51
coolm
National Champion

Default Re: Aaron Calixte

well, when someone is ragging on an OU player for "morals" and being a bad leader I am going to speak up. you can't apply your past prejudices to present culture.

Tell you what ... come to the OKC city council meeting Tuesday night (9/11) and see how dramatically different things are now. A kid smoking some dope may have been a character flaw in you day - but that's not the case in every culture around the US. Not even OK county. Calixte shouldnt be railed on like that.

Last edited by coolm; 09-06-2018 at 09:35 PM.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:28 PM   #52
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Simply, he has let the team down..

that is not being a good leader... doing things that are illegal regardless of your feelings on it, categorically is not setting a good example and is putting his desire above the team's

It's unfortunate but he will just run a lot and it won't be a big deal. It is disappointing.

Manic Manek
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #53
usedtobe1
Administrator

I think this will blow over without much fanfare. He won’t be dismissed from the team and we won’t hear about the internal punishment. Just my opinion.....
usedtobe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:46 AM   #54
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolm View Post
well, when someone is ragging on an OU player for "morals" and being a bad leader I am going to speak up. you can't apply your past prejudices to present culture.

Tell you what ... come to the OKC city council meeting Tuesday night (9/11) and see how dramatically different things are now. A kid smoking some dope may have been a character flaw in you day - but that's not the case in every culture around the US. Not even OK county. Calixte shouldnt be railed on like that.
+1
Old 09-07-2018, 12:16 PM   #55
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:

getting in trouble with the law is being a bad leader. setting a bad example.

And again, he wasn't just caught smoking weed. He was caught with weed while operating a vehicle.
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:50 PM   #56
CoachTalk
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post

And again, he wasn't just caught smoking weed. He was caught with weed while operating a vehicle.
He's not and was never the leader of this team. He's a grad transfer and we needed a PG.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:15 PM   #57
coolm
National Champion

Quote:

only if it's a fair and just law. at some points leadership entails setting the example by breaking it. you're just relying on your own values ... values that are much different in other cultures and changing dramatically in this one. there were also states where it was against the law for blacks to play ball with whites.

i'm sorry. you're rule isn't an absolute. get over it.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:22 PM   #58
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Quote:
only if it's a fair and just law. at some points leadership entails setting the example by breaking it. you're just relying on your own values ... values that are much different in other cultures and changing dramatically in this one. there were also states where it was against the law for blacks to play ball with whites.

By god, you're right.. calixte demonstrated superb leadership by rebelling against the law and driving around with weed. Nailed it

Manic Manek
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:33 PM   #59
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaustin View Post
By god, you're right.. calixte demonstrated superb leadership by rebelling against the law and driving around with weed. Nailed it
Ridiculous post.

He showed neither good or bad "leadership" during this incident.

That's like saying, "oh yea, Calixte demonstrated superb leadership by violating social norms and picking his nose in public. Nailed it"... Picking your nose in public and smoking weed demonstrate leadership qualities in the same way, in that they don't.

Last edited by thebigabd; 09-07-2018 at 03:23 PM.
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:01 PM   #60
inoref
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
Ridiculous post.

That's like saying, "oh yea, Calixte demonstrated superb leadership by violating social norms and picking his nose in public. Nailed it"... Picking your nose in public and smoking weed demonstrate leadership qualities in the same way, in that they don't.
Dunno for sure but picking your nose isn't breaking any laws. I'm not saying to throw the dude in jail for life or anything. I'll let Lon decide what to do, if that means kicking him out of the program..so be it
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:00 PM   #61
red recluse
Starter

Quote:

they have no real way of knowing if marijuana is causing accidents to increase. donít be misled. all those reports are people who tested positive and had used recently, like within weeks, not within hours of the accident. there is no thc breathylizer. and its legal in cali, oregon, nevada, washington, and what, maine? show me those increasing stats, too.

Iím finished. Aaron, good luck. keep it clean. I look forward to you helping lead this team.
red recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:45 PM   #62
coolm
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by red recluse View Post
they have no real way of knowing if marijuana is causing accidents to increase. donít be misled. all those reports are people who tested positive and had used recently, like within weeks, not within hours of the accident. there is no thc breathylizer. and its legal in cali, oregon, nevada, washington, and what, maine? show me those increasing stats, too.
plus there is no accommodation to test b/w hybrids and indica/sativa dominant strains. the effects of both are very different on the body and the mind.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:45 AM   #63
NYC-Fool
Walk-on

If the CEO of a publicly traded company can smoke a blunt on a radio show (Elon Musk) then who a we to criticize a college kid from Maine about doing it? Nothing to see here folks.
NYC-Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:16 PM   #64
Northbase
Role Player

Obviously many on the board (surprise surprise) do not understand the tenets of "freedom of association", and when those tenets are not met, the association may be un-bound.
Northbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:30 AM   #65
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:

You , as a lawyer, are telling me that a law isn't a law? Its just my opinion?

So if I think drinking and driving isn't fair and just, it's ok for me to drink and drive?

C'mon cool...this is bogus, even for you.
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
Old 09-10-2018, 09:31 AM   #66
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
He's not and was never the leader of this team. He's a grad transfer and we needed a PG.
very well may be true. But should we not want all players to be leaders? Do you not think a grad transfer would be looked at for leadership to the young guys coming in?

He broke the law. He put other people in danger. It was a really bad judgement based on his circumstances

-Romero Osby
Old 09-10-2018, 09:32 AM   #67
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
Ridiculous post.

breaking the law and putting people at risk of injury isn't bad leadership?

What is this world coming to?

He wasn't smoking in his dorm. He was smoking while operating a vehicle.

-Romero Osby
Old 09-10-2018, 09:33 AM   #68
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by red recluse View Post

Iím finished. Aaron, good luck. keep it clean. I look forward to you helping lead this team.
stats are stats.

And there are plenty of research out there saying it slows down your reaction time and decision making.

-Romero Osby
Old 09-10-2018, 09:35 AM   #69
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-Fool View Post
If the CEO of a publicly traded company can smoke a blunt on a radio show (Elon Musk) then who a we to criticize a college kid from Maine about doing it? Nothing to see here folks.
was elon musk caught driving while smoking? No? Where was Elon smoking? What state?

I don't care that he smokes. I care about how and when he does and the lack of good decision making shown by smoking in a car when you are new to town in your last year of playing college basketball.

-Romero Osby
Old 09-10-2018, 09:44 AM   #70
coolm
National Champion

Quote:
You , as a lawyer, are telling me that a law isn't a law? Its just my opinion?

So if I think drinking and driving isn't fair and just, it's ok for me to drink and drive?

C'mon cool...this is bogus, even for you.
Jebediah Springfield: The king is ridiculous! All these taxes and little rules yet we don't even have a voice in Parliament!

Tory Toryson: But it's the law Jebediah! What else are we to do?? If the king wants to tax us then there's nothing we can do about it but blindly obey!! Why are you dressing up like an Indian and heading to the Boston Harbor?? Oh, and make sure to always sing when the band plays "God Save The Queen". No kneeling!!
Old 09-10-2018, 09:52 AM   #71
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
Jebediah Springfield: The king is ridiculous! All these taxes and little rules yet we don't even have a voice in Parliament!

Tory Toryson: But it's the law Jebediah! What else are we to do?? If the king wants to tax us then there's nothing we can do about it but blindly obey!! Why are you dressing up like an Indian and heading to the Boston Harbor?? Oh, and make sure to always sing when the band plays "God Save The Queen". No kneeling!!
so in other words, all laws are relative to the individual. Cool

-Romero Osby
Old 09-10-2018, 10:18 AM   #72
coolm
National Champion

Quote:
so in other words, all laws are relative to the individual. Cool
I merely try to point out that these laws aren't absolute and you just keep doubling down. Are you genuinely so daft such that you don't understand or merely so stubborn that you can't see how things evolve?

Either way ... just as with all things there IS another side to the issue. Your failure to see it is your own weakness.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:29 AM   #73
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
I merely try to point out that these laws aren't absolute and you just keep doubling down. Are you genuinely so daft such that you don't understand or merely so stubborn that you can't see how things evolve?

Either way ... just as with all things there IS another side to the issue. Your failure to see it is your own weakness.
I believe in personal responsibility to follow the law. Especially when you are being paid to go to school and are in the spot light.

And if you don't think a law is fair, you fight to change it....not just not follow it.

-Romero Osby
Old 09-10-2018, 10:40 AM   #74
coolm
National Champion

guess what ... not everyone believes as you do! the world doesnt revolve around you. people vary. it's a fact.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:44 AM   #75
WichitaSooner
Role Player

Could we move this discussion to a pot message board now that the majority of the posts have nothing to do with what is likely to happen to Calixte?
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote