ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Campus Corner

Old 10-03-2016, 07:06 PM   #1
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Default Mustang Basketball Coach Resigns

I think I've heard his name mentioned here.

http://newsok.com/article/5520866?ut...n=NIC-Facebook

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:18 PM   #2
sdcloud9
Starter

Default Re: Mustang Basketball Coach Resigns

Just wait until Coachtalk gets back here, lol.
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:49 PM   #3
usedtobe1
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcloud9 View Post
Just wait until Coachtalk gets back here, lol.
No question CoachTalk has the inside story of what's going on with HS basketball in Oklahoma. I'm looking forward to reading what he has to say.
usedtobe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:05 PM   #4
Capel's Mustache
Role Player

So bizarre. I can't wait to hear the inside skinny
Capel's Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:31 PM   #5
ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms
Role Player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by AdaSooner; 10-04-2016 at 08:46 AM. Reason: That's not the kind question you should ask, even as a joke.
ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:20 PM   #6
OUradu
Walk-on

it's likely not bizarre at all. As a high school teacher, i think the story from the press release sounds quite legitimate. Taxpayers don't pay us. His private lessons will.
OUradu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:49 PM   #7
Section31
Starter

He never really let on that he would be at Mustang much after his son graduated. There's rumor of an out of state trip the administration shot down. Terry's a good man and has represented the school the way you want. I don't care for how he's leaving, but it was not a surprise.
Section31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:50 PM   #8
CoachTalk
Elite Eight

Glad you guys trust me.

Details still coming out but mustang grew sick of his ways. The transfers that won them the state titles in a way got him "fired".

They (towns people) wanted him fired last year. The AD that hired him is no longer there. So no need for long to be there anymore either.

There are some other things floating around, no teacher scandals that I'm aware of!!
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:05 PM   #9
Section31
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Glad you guys trust me.

Details still coming out but mustang grew sick of his ways. The transfers that won them the state titles in a way got him "fired".

They (towns people) wanted him fired last year. The AD that hired him is no longer there. So no need for long to be there anymore either.

There are some other things floating around, no teacher scandals that I'm aware of!!
This is complete BS. Terry's very well liked in the community.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:06 PM   #10
CoachTalk
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section31 View Post
This is complete BS. Terry's very well liked in the community.
It's not, but I'd expect you to disagree you always have. I stand by what I said.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:08 PM   #11
Section31
Starter

Quote:
It's not, but I'd expect you to disagree you always have. I stand by what I said.
I'm fairly good friends with quite a few administrators at Mustang. Lived here all my life. I'd say I have a pretty good feel for our community and the school administration.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:13 PM   #12
Section31
Starter

BTW, text one of my best friends who's at the upper level of the district. Said no issues at all..."just peaced out".

Dude is privy to the highest level of info in the district. Take that for what it is worth.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:16 PM   #13
CoachTalk
Elite Eight

Not going to argue. I've said what was asked of me.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:18 PM   #14
Section31
Starter

Quote:
Not going to argue. I've said what was asked of me.
My last post was for the board...
Old 10-03-2016, 11:34 PM   #15
BCSooners
All-Conference

Hated the way he treated HS basketball like his own AAU team.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:44 AM   #16
sdcloud9
Starter

Why wait until the first day of basketball practice to quit?

From the outside looking in and not knowing any behind the scenes info, it appears he has no loyalty to the kids he coaches or school he represents.

Unfortunately, that is the AAU basketball mentality that is too prevalent today.
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:20 AM   #17
perryj74
Role Player

The Guthrie girls coached stepped down last week as well citing the same reasons.
perryj74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:59 AM   #18
brettromar
Role Player

HE has said all along that he was done after last year. The shock was that he stayed around so long, most thought he was going somewhere to coach his daughter.

Have heard from several people that parents went to the school board also. I don't know if that is true, just what I heard.

Heard from others there was no way he was going to stick around and coach what was left in Mustang and the fact that he couldn't get Marvin and Carlos pretty much ended it.

The only person who really knows is Terry and his story is the money issue. I will say there will be more and more people get out of teaching and coaching at the current pay. Getting 6-8,000 for the time doesn't really do much for a coach. In basketball you really need to make money on your summer camp.

Mustang will be down this year, I wonder if coaches take their frustration out on the team now that Terry is no longer coaching.
brettromar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:28 PM   #19
Section31
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettromar View Post
HE has said all along that he was done after last year. The shock was that he stayed around so long, most thought he was going somewhere to coach his daughter.

Have heard from several people that parents went to the school board also. I don't know if that is true, just what I heard.

Heard from others there was no way he was going to stick around and coach what was left in Mustang and the fact that he couldn't get Marvin and Carlos pretty much ended it.

The only person who really knows is Terry and his story is the money issue. I will say there will be more and more people get out of teaching and coaching at the current pay. Getting 6-8,000 for the time doesn't really do much for a coach. In basketball you really need to make money on your summer camp.

Mustang will be down this year, I wonder if coaches take their frustration out on the team now that Terry is no longer coaching.
That's fair and I'd guess they will be down, but let's not act like they weren't at least somewhat competitive prior to him coming. Two years prior to his getting there Mustang was ranked 1 or 2 fairly late in the year.

Last edited by Section31; 10-04-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:30 PM   #20
Section31
Starter

BTW, there was a segment of parents of kids "not good at basketball" that dislike Terry. That's not something he can control.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:03 PM   #21
CoachTalk
Elite Eight

Quote:
BTW, there was a segment of parents of kids "not good at basketball" that dislike Terry. That's not something he can control.
We know you love Mustang. Bashed many including myself for OU not looking very hard at Jlong.

He isnt well liked in the coaching circles or in mustang. He recruited and won and didnt get caught, that is no secret.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:05 PM   #22
soonerczech
Walk-on

Well, one main reason for resigning his coaching position (he's still on contract as a teacher) is that he is offering private coaching lessons. I'll say that my wife has heard nothing about administrators asking him to step down. Also, that would have been something addressed prior to the school year and not weeks before the season starts. Were there angry parents because he brought kids in, sure. Did they get him "fired"? Most likely not. I think my wife said you aren't allowed to "double-dip" while under contract. I don't know if that only applies to the time he is being paid as a coach or if it is for the time of his teaching contract.
soonerczech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:41 PM   #23
Section31
Starter

Quote:
We know you love Mustang. Bashed many including myself for OU not looking very hard at Jlong.

He isnt well liked in the coaching circles or in mustang. He recruited and won and didnt get caught, that is no secret.
I NEVER thought Jlong was OU caliber. You have me confused with someone else
Old 10-04-2016, 07:46 PM   #24
bgrch1350
Banned

Quote:
The mustang community has always hated Burtchi and the way he won with kids that weren't Putnam city kids. The majority of the mustang people I know weren't happy on being sale outs and winning with non mustang kids. Of course not everyone is going to feel the same way. I personally had nothing against long but disappointed that mustang won a championship the way they did. They've had several talented teams the last twenty years and even though they never won a championship it was better to support mustang kids then kids who didn't live there win one
bgrch1350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:12 PM   #25
Section31
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrch1350 View Post
The mustang community has always hated Burtchi and the way he won with kids that weren't Putnam city kids. The majority of the mustang people I know weren't happy on being sale outs and winning with non mustang kids. Of course not everyone is going to feel the same way. I personally had nothing against long but disappointed that mustang won a championship the way they did. They've had several talented teams the last twenty years and even though they never won a championship it was better to support mustang kids then kids who didn't live there win one
I can understand that logic, but Mustang doesn't have the built in advantage of loads of inexpensive housing that's also in good proximity of decent jobs. The town is never going to draw a large African American population due to that. I DO know many African Americans were sort of surprised at the experience those that have moved in over the past few years have been exposed to. The kids were treated like any other kid and were in a good environment for learning. If it took Terry coming here to break that stereotype, then it was worth it.

Oddly enough, there were quite a few Mustang kids on Terry's teams that contributed to their success. The kids who didn't stick it out, for the most part, weren't good at basketball.