ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings NET bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 04-23-2022, 04:13 AM   #1
WaymanFan
Administrator

Default NIL News - New Non-Profit Called '1Oklahoma'

Hopefully, this will give us a chance to compete...I'm not sure we could have picked a better spokesperson :-).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...df944dd45647e3
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 07:46 AM   #2
TarheelstateSooner
Walk-on

Default Re: NIL News - New Non-Profit Called '1Oklahoma'

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
Hopefully, this will give us a chance to compete...I'm not sure we could have picked a better spokesperson :-).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...df944dd45647e3
Already been posted in the Transfer Portal Thread.
TarheelstateSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 07:53 AM   #3
NickZepp
National Champion

This deserves it's own thread. Football players will get around 40-50k per year each. Hasn't been announced for other athletes. I'm guessing that will be based on how much they get through donations on this. It's a pretty good idea. When NIL first started I was thinking why couldn't fans just donate to pay players.
NickZepp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 08:05 AM   #4
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZepp View Post
This deserves it's own thread. Football players will get around 40-50k per year each. Hasn't been announced for other athletes. I'm guessing that will be based on how much they get through donations on this. It's a pretty good idea. When NIL first started I was thinking why couldn't fans just donate to pay players.
Agreed. This news is too important to be buried in a transfer thread.

I also agree with what WaymanFan said about Barry. With him as the spokesperson, OUís NIL program is bound to succeed!
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 08:20 AM   #5
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
There is no way every football player is going to get $40-50k per year. That is the top end, and that is what the star players will get. If you think our 3rd string TE is going to pull that much in, you are crazy.

I'm not knocking the program overall, it's good to have something in place, but nothing about what I've read suggests anywhere close to all of the players are going to get maxed out. That won't happen.
Old 04-23-2022, 08:21 AM   #6
NickZepp
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post

I also agree with what WaymanFan said about Barry. With him as the spokesperson, OUís NIL program is bound to succeed!
I'm sure Barry had a role in spearheading this somewhat but I bet he'll just be more a figurehead than anything. Having his name behind it definitely gives it tremendous weight no doubt.

Here's the website.

https://www.1oklahoma.com
Old 04-23-2022, 08:23 AM   #7
NickZepp
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
There is no way every football player is going to get $40-50k per year. That is the top end, and that is what the star players will get. If you think our 3rd string TE is going to pull that much in, you are crazy.

I'm not knocking the program overall, it's good to have something in place, but nothing about what I've read suggests anywhere close to all of the players are going to get maxed out. That won't happen.
They are saying that every football player that puts his name in for it will get that. I'm guessing some players will choose not to get involved but according to the press basically every player gets that much. I'm guess donations will have to do with the exact amount though. I posted the link to the website. Press for it is out on twitter also they are saying every football player that becomes a 1Oklahoma athlete gets 40-50k.
Old 04-23-2022, 08:29 AM   #8
NickZepp
National Champion

Direct quotes from the article above.

Quote:
“We are changing the game again with 1Oklahoma Collective,” Switzer continued in the release. "Through NIL, every OU football player will have an opportunity to earn between $40,000-$50,000 a year while positively impacting the community.
Quote:
1Oklahoma isn’t the first NIL collective out there, but Scott Williams, CEO of 1Oklahoma, said in the release that the collective’s offering are the most comprehensive in the country.

“The earning potential varies between sports and among athletes,” Williams said. “For instance, every OU football player will have the opportunity to earn between $40,000-$50,000 each year from 1Oklahoma NIL deals.”
Old 04-23-2022, 08:52 AM   #9
BanjoCharley
Starter

"Opportunity" is the key word.
Old 04-23-2022, 09:23 AM   #10
TarheelstateSooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post

It was posted on the last page. Wasn't buried by any means.
Old 04-23-2022, 09:23 AM   #11
TarheelstateSooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Direct quotes from the article above.
Yeah, it's all posted in the Transfor Portal Thread on Page 36. Was discussed yesterday.
Old 04-23-2022, 10:43 AM   #12
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelstateSooner View Post
It was posted on the last page. Wasn't buried by any means.
Donít be an @$$.

Itís kind of a big deal to throw in a transfer thread.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 10:59 AM   #13
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Donít be an @$$.

Itís kind of a big deal to throw in a transfer thread.
Thanks, Coach! You understand the point I was trying to make perfectly. A new topic like NIL will eventually get lost in an ultra-busy thread like the transfer portal. NIL needs to be in a separate thread.
Old 04-23-2022, 11:18 AM   #14
WTSooner
National Champion

We'll see. $50k per player, per year, means they are going to have to get their hands on roughly $4.25M per year, for football alone. Add in other sports and operating costs, and I'll just say, we'll see. That's a pretty decent amount of coin in the state of Oklahoma. I do work for/with a lot of not-for-profits in the state of Oklahoma. Generating contributions and other income from the general public or businesses is tough sledding.

And if one of the things the NCAA/Feds do in terms of regulation is to make money coming from boosters illegal, than Switzer being associated with this will be a no go as well.

I'm glad we're doing something. I just think some folks are jumping to the wrong conclusions on this. No way paying an entire team $50k per player per year is sustainable. That is probably more than something like 25-40% of the people living in the state make themselves, working an actual job.
Old 04-23-2022, 11:38 AM   #15
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
We'll see. $50k per player, per year, means they are going to have to get their hands on roughly $4.25M per year, for football alone. Add in other sports and operating costs, and I'll just say, we'll see. That's a pretty decent amount of coin in the state of Oklahoma. I do work for/with a lot of not-for-profits in the state of Oklahoma. Generating contributions and other income from the general public or businesses is tough sledding.

And if one of the things the NCAA/Feds do in terms of regulation is to make money coming from boosters illegal, than Switzer being associated with this will be a no go as well.

I'm glad we're doing something. I just think some folks are jumping to the wrong conclusions on this. No way paying an entire team $50k per player per year is sustainable. That is probably more than something like 25-40% of the people living in the state make themselves, working an actual job.

BanjoCharley has it right. “The key word is Opportunity.”

A direct quote from the article:

Quote:
“We are changing the game again with 1Oklahoma Collective,” Switzer continued in the release. "Through NIL, every OU football player will have an opportunity to earn between $40,000-$50,000 a year while positively impacting the community.
There’s that word again, opportunity.

I interpret that to mean exactly what it says, “an opportunity to earn” the money available. Am I missing something?
Old 04-23-2022, 04:30 PM   #16
MsProudSooner
National Champion

My impression is that their Name, Image, and Likeness is going to be used by the non-profits affiliated with 1Oklahoma.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 08:15 PM   #17
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

Quote:

Everyone is getting the same on the football team that signs on to 1 Oklahoma.
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 08:17 PM   #18
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

Quote:

The ncaa feds are not going to do a thing And it is absolutely sustainable

And this is not the only nil that is going to happen. Other collectives are being formed and lots of one off deals will happen
Old 04-23-2022, 08:18 PM   #19
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

Quote:
They are saying that every football player that puts his name in for it will get that. I'm guessing some players will choose not to get involved but according to the press basically every player gets that much. I'm guess donations will have to do with the exact amount though. I posted the link to the website. Press for it is out on twitter also they are saying every football player that becomes a 1Oklahoma athlete gets 40-50k.
They hope to have the number increase in the future as well.
Old 04-23-2022, 09:14 PM   #20
TINY
All-American

Quote:

U think the ncaa/fed is going to shut us down when a&m just spent $20 million on their last football recruiting class?

How is it not sustainable? Do you not think donors donate millions per year? Donors can allocate some of their donations to this instead now.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 05:10 AM   #21
WaymanFan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
The ncaa feds are not going to do a thing And it is absolutely sustainable

And this is not the only nil that is going to happen. Other collectives are being formed and lots of one off deals will happen
I agree that it is sustainable. I would be curious to know how much money the OU boosters were paying all those players back in the mid-late 1940s after World War II ended. There are enough credible reports to know it certainly happened (these guys coming back from the war already had families - they needed money). I'm betting when you factor inflation that it was a lot more than $50K now.

I noticed from that article they mention women's softball, but not women's basketball. Lloyd Noble was packed back in the Stacey Dales and subsequently Paris twins days, so I'm thinking the lady hoopsters will get something as well. At some point, though, a line will be drawn.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 07:03 AM   #22
MsProudSooner
National Champion

This is pure speculation on my part. I think the long-term goal is for all players on all teams to get a certain base amount regardless of sport or how successful the sport is. Then, if a superstar like Alo, can get something just for themselves, that's OK. Perhaps each tennis player won't get as much as each football player, but keep it equitable within each sport,

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 11:35 AM   #23
Eielson
All-American

Quote:
We'll see. $50k per player, per year, means they are going to have to get their hands on roughly $4.25M per year, for football alone.
How could OU football possibly survive if they had to pay 4-5M to the players making them money? Would need to be a multi-million dollar business.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 12:16 PM   #24
TarheelstateSooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
How could OU football possibly survive if they had to pay 4-5M to the players making them money? Would need to be a multi-million dollar business.
It's coming from Donors that's how.
Old 04-24-2022, 12:32 PM   #25
AnotherSoonerInTX
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
I agree that it is sustainable. I would be curious to know how much money the OU boosters were paying all those players back in the mid-late 1940s after World War II ended. There are enough credible reports to know it certainly happened (these guys coming back from the war already had families - they needed money). I'm betting when you factor inflation that it was a lot more than $50K now.

I noticed from that article they mention women's softball, but not women's basketball. Lloyd Noble was packed back in the Stacey Dales and subsequently Paris twins days, so I'm thinking the lady hoopsters will get something as well. At some point, though, a line will be drawn.
Based on another thread on this board, apparently the Chickasaws and other tribes are going to get involved with NIL. If they're involved with 1Oklahoma, the money will be there.

I presume priority is based on desire and demand. Football and men's basketball are at the front of the line since they have a high profile and generate revenue. Softball is right behind them because they are currently so dominant, and the entire fan base is on board with them.

Hopefully, NIL deals for the other sports will happen, as well. Women's basketball has been successful, and bounced back very well this year. Gymnastics (both women's and men's) is a national powerhouse. Golf and tennis are doing well. Wrestling is an OU tradition that has slipped in recent years.
AnotherSoonerInTX is offline   Reply With Quote