ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #1
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 3,867
Default WBB Staff

It was reported on another website by a poster so their information is unsubtantiated and not necessarily fact that.

- Sherri was given certain demands while Boren was still Prez.
- New prez Gallogly has no love for Sherri which could mean nothing. He really
does not know her.
- Colton had to cancel vacation plans to be on the recruiting trail.
- Player posted pic of new tatto. It that new freedom afforded players or no
change in Sherri's philosophy?
- Are there really "winds of change" in the program behind the recent recruiting
improvement that is being driven by more pressure from the administration?

I doubt anyone has the answer to any of the above but it does make for interesting spectulation.
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 08-11-2018 at 05:19 PM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #2
Oliver Hardy
All-American
 
Oliver Hardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,123
Default Re: WBB Staff

It seems to me something significant has changed. I know Joe C. had a serious chat with Sherri about the team.

My info on Chad seeking another job may have been bad, he may have simply changed his mind or didn't find anything, but I'm still pretty sure he was testing the job market.

As many here and on Norm's board have noted in recent weeks, something is happening, and it's for the better.

Sherri's close link to the president's office, certainly has to have changed and declined with Boren's departure.

A new president who, in all likelihood doesn't give a crap about WBB or Sherri, a talk with Joe after the season...etc.

As someone reported, a player showing off a tat (when has that ever happened?).

Looks like some level of change is occurring for sure.
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:50 PM   #3
sybarite
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,560
Default Re: WBB Staff

I always look at these posts and wonder if there is any validity at all. It seems that every change or perceived change in the direction of anything to do with the women's program is a clear indication that Sherri is under orders from someone.

Considering that the new president, probably still under a microscope himself, of an institution that is in a state which is ranked forty-ninth, or some similar number, in education in the nation has as his highest priority some repair of the women's basketball program, right down to the point at which we are ordering the acceptance of tattoos is so bizarre that I figure that it could only occur in a state that has as many problems as Oklahoma.

I must admit that I have more than a little concern about the future of the university with any regents of this era. If they are down to management of the women's basketball program, I have little hope for the future of the university.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #4
tycat947
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 5,145
Default Re: WBB Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
i always look at these posts and wonder if there is any validity at all. It seems that every change or perceived change in the direction of anything to do with the women's program is a clear indication that sherri is under orders from someone.

Considering that the new president, probably still under a microscope himself, of an institution that is in a state which is ranked forty-ninth, or some similar number, in education in the nation has as his highest priority some repair of the women's basketball program, right down to the point at which we are ordering the acceptance of tattoos is so bizarre that i figure that it could only occur in a state that has as many problems as oklahoma.

I must admit that i have more than a little concern about the future of the university with any regents of this era. If they are down to management of the women's basketball program, i have little hope for the future of the university.
Bingo!
__________________
Quote:
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Some people think being negative makes them sound like an expert.
tycat947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:21 PM   #5
MsProudSooner
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,453
Default Re: WBB Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Hardy View Post
It seems to me something significant has changed. I know Joe C. had a serious chat with Sherri about the team.

My info on Chad seeking another job may have been bad, he may have simply changed his mind or didn't find anything, but I'm still pretty sure he was testing the job market.

As many here and on Norm's board have noted in recent weeks, something is happening, and it's for the better.

Sherri's close link to the president's office, certainly has to have changed and declined with Boren's departure.

A new president who, in all likelihood doesn't give a crap about WBB or Sherri, a talk with Joe after the season...etc.

As someone reported, a player showing off a tat (when has that ever happened?).

Looks like some level of change is occurring for sure.
Lots of speculation in this post. Some of it could be based on facts, I suppose. Recruiting does seem to be on an upward trend so it doesn't seem unreasonable that something has changed in that area.

But unless you've seen or read something that I haven't you seem to have pulled the comment about the new president out of your nether regions.
__________________
The pessimist may be right in the long run, but the optimist has a better time during the trip.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:27 PM   #6
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 3,867
Default Re: WBB Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
I always look at these posts and wonder if there is any validity at all. It seems that every change or perceived change in the direction of anything to do with the women's program is a clear indication that Sherri is under orders from someone.

Considering that the new president, probably still under a microscope himself, of an institution that is in a state which is ranked forty-ninth, or some similar number, in education in the nation has as his highest priority some repair of the women's basketball program, right down to the point at which we are ordering the acceptance of tattoos is so bizarre that I figure that it could only occur in a state that has as many problems as Oklahoma.

I must admit that I have more than a little concern about the future of the university with any regents of this era. If they are down to management of the women's basketball program, I have little hope for the future of the university.
No doubt one does not know the validity of any of these rumors. It seems to me the post on the other board I referenced made no inferences or any of the suggestions simlar to those you suggest they make.

For certain Joe C could have had a conversation with Sherri about her team and its performance, probably happens at least annually. But that is private conversation that should not leak to the public. And any leak might be a bigger problem for the program than the performance issues.

The change in tatto policy, if there was a change, could be nothing than a change Sherri has felt forced to make to be more effective recruiting girls she has not been able to reach in the past. Perhaps there is no change in her tatto policy only fan speculation based on a social media post.

Obviously Boren and Sherri were close. It is equally probable that she Gallogly have virtually no relationship to date with academics and school finances, as you suggest, at the top of his priority list and WBB totally under Joe C. control which may or may not have been the case in the past under Boren.

To me that might be a step back for Sherri and could position her to have to perform better on the court to keep her historical job security but who knows. But she definitely does not have Boren's leverage at the presidential suite like in the past.

But speculation is what fans do and when they see a change such as the recent WBB recruiting success they attempt to justify why it happened. But that really only works within their own mind. Just as they explain why and how Bob Stoops turned around OU's recruiting in 2015 when they actually know little of the complexities that were involved in effecting the changes.

For me funding is a greater concern for the university than who sits on the board of regents. With the positive changes that have transpired at the university over the last 20+ years I only hope we can approach maintaining those improvements under Gallogly and his successor. Continuing to grow gifts, grants and endowments at the rate similar to Boren is a major challenge especially with the ever declining contribution of state moneys by the legislature having to be offset.
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 08-11-2018 at 04:49 PM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:32 PM   #7
sybarite
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,560
Default Re: WBB Staff

I don't know of a post on another board.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:23 PM   #8
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 3,867
Default Re: WBB Staff

I repeated the post on the other board to start this thread. I noted is was an unsubstaniated post and not necessarily facts so you should be familar with the post.
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:33 PM   #9
sybarite
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,560
Default Re: WBB Staff

Then, you don't need to be concerned. Do you? I did not specify any individual or single anyone out for any attack. I questioned the type of information contained in these posts, which do crop up fairly frequently.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:59 PM   #10
soonerstar
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,631
Default Re: WBB Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
I repeated the post on the other board to start this thread. I noted is was an unsubstaniated post and not necessarily facts so you should be familar with the post.
The person who posted this on the other board does not post very often, but is usually very reliable.
soonerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:09 PM   #11
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 3,867
Default Re: WBB Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
Then, you don't need to be concerned. Do you? I did not specify any individual or single anyone out for any attack. I questioned the type of information contained in these posts, which do crop up fairly frequently.
No more so than you were with my original post. I was just questioning your perspective. To each his own.
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:58 PM   #12
Oliver Hardy
All-American
 
Oliver Hardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,123
Default Re: WBB Staff

Syb, I believe you misconstrued the post regarding the tattoo. I don't believe the poster was implying that the OU president was involved in anything regarding a tat (or anything else). In fact, I bet he can't even tell you who the WBB players are or much about the program at all.

But, you do have to admit, we haven't seen tats displayed on a player's website before this-- or at least in a long, long time.

My guess the president also hasn't had time to think about WBB much at all. He's been too busy firing a bunch of useless VPs and straightening out the bureaucratic morass that is the OU administration.

I think you will admit that our recruiting as dramatically taken a turn for the better. Something had to happen for that to occur. I don't know what it was, but my experience in politics, government, etc., leads me to believe that Sherri was told the recent product was not to the standards that OU now finds acceptable and necessary.

Hence, some changes appear to be taking place.
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:09 PM   #13
sybarite
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,560
Default Re: WBB Staff

I think there has been a rather constant discussion of what Sherri has been told to do over the years. For some reason, a program that had so little interest that it had been cancelled seemed to draw so much interest from the higher ups at OU that Sherri was being told constantly what to do, how to behave, even what to wear.

I suspect the reality is more like they really still didn't care, were glad and pleasantly surprised to have a winning team and a positive image where they had been a source of embarrassment.

We had a situation in which we had a coach who had taken a recently cancelled program to the finals of the NCAA. This was a measure of unexpected success. The coach had also been so highly-regarded that she had become a leader in the politics of coaching, becoming president of the coaches association and a member of the Hall of Fame.

So, you have a bunch of message board know-it-alls who seem to think that she had only succeeded because she had Bo Overton running the show. I guess they thought a female just needed their input, at at least male input, to keep a program going. Every new thing, rather than just being a part of the evolving nature of women's basketball, was due to the orders of someone above Sherri, or she wouldn't have changed a thing.

Yet, if you listened to Sherri, it might have been obvious that she had a vision of basketball that she had never been able to attain. She hadn't been able to get all of the right pieces at the same time to make it happen. She had built by recruiting nobodys, and had only had a few highly-recruited prospects attracted to OU. When you see a different type of recruit being brought in, it is assumed that she was given orders. The thought that she had found a way to do what she wanted to do didn't seem to occur to anyone. Just had to be someone telling her what to do.

I think it is more likely that the one thing that might get Sherri to leave OU would be for someone to give her orders as to what to do..
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:11 PM   #14
tycat947
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 5,145
Default Re: WBB Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
I think there has been a rather constant discussion of what Sherri has been told to do over the years. For some reason, a program that had so little interest that it had been cancelled seemed to draw so much interest from the higher ups at OU that Sherri was being told constantly what to do, how to behave, even what to wear.

I suspect the reality is more like they really still didn't care, were glad and pleasantly surprised to have a winning team and a positive image where they had been a source of embarrassment.

We had a situation in which we had a coach who had taken a recently cancelled program to the finals of the NCAA. This was a measure of unexpected success. The coach had also been so highly-regarded that she had become a leader in the politics of coaching, becoming president of the coaches association and a member of the Hall of Fame.

So, you have a bunch of message board know-it-alls who seem to think that she had only succeeded because she had Bo Overton running the show. I guess they thought a female just needed their input, at at least male input, to keep a program going. Every new thing, rather than just being a part of the evolving nature of women's basketball, was due to the orders of someone above Sherri, or she wouldn't have changed a thing.

Yet, if you listened to Sherri, it might have been obvious that she had a vision of basketball that she had never been able to attain. She hadn't been able to get all of the right pieces at the same time to make it happen. She had built by recruiting nobodys, and had only had a few highly-recruited prospects attracted to OU. When you see a different type of recruit being brought in, it is assumed that she was given orders. The thought that she had found a way to do what she wanted to do didn't seem to occur to anyone. Just had to be someone telling her what to do.

I think it is more likely that the one thing that might get Sherri to leave OU would be for someone to give her orders as to what to do..
Yep.
__________________
Quote:
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Some people think being negative makes them sound like an expert.
tycat947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:38 PM   #15
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 3,867
Default Re: WBB Staff

Facts:

-Sherri was hired to run a program that was percieved to be insignificant by the
administration.

-Sherri initially succeeded expectations and build a dominant program from a
conference and national perspective that lasted better than ten years.

-Sherri's team provided consistently lower than expected success the last
7 years at both and the conference and national level.

-Recruiting declined consistently starting in 2008 until 2017

-Everything else pure fan speculation and opinions. The discussion of which is the
foundation of websites like OUHoops.
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 08-12-2018 at 01:40 PM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:59 PM   #16
sybarite
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,560
Default Re: WBB Staff

Can we add one "fact?"

--Criticism began before there was any decline.
----example: some players were fat and out of shape.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:47 PM   #17
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 3,867
Default Re: WBB Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
Can we add one "fact?"

--Criticism began before there was any decline.
----example: some players were fat and out of shape.
Wrong I previously addressed that under fan opinion in item #5. Reading and comprehending the statement is rather simple.
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 08-12-2018 at 04:06 PM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:57 PM   #18
tycat947
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 5,145
Default Re: WBB Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
Can we add one "fact?"

--Criticism began before there was any decline.
----example: some players were fat and out of shape.
Double BINGO!!! I distinctly remember!
__________________
Quote:
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Some people think being negative makes them sound like an expert.
tycat947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:02 AM   #19
Oliver Hardy
All-American
 
Oliver Hardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,123
Default

Frankly, I don’t remember a thimble full of criticism for Sherri when she was getting good recruits and producing conference, Big 12 tournament and high national finishes.

The criticism developed over time because Sherri was only signing good or decent players for nearly a decade that were, along with the coaching staff, not getting the job done up to The OU standards Sherri created.

No matter the sport, OU fans want their teams to be highly competitive up to OU standards, not the standards of any other teams.

Sherri set the bar doing a great job. What has happened overs the last 7-10 years, however, is mediocre at best — but certainly not up to the standards Sherri set and led us to care about.

Now, miraculously, things are dramatically on the upswing.

That CAN happen overnight, certainly. However, I believe such a potential resurgence normally only occurs after someone gets a good talking to and/or a swift kick in the pants.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:54 PM   #20
sybarite
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,560
Default Re: WBB Staff

There was a lot of criticism of weight issues when Courtney was here, and we were winning big at the time.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:06 PM   #21
tycat947
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 5,145
Default Re: WBB Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
There was a lot of criticism of weight issues when Courtney was here, and we were winning big at the time.
There was a lot of criticism during the last two Final Four runs. Too bad so many threads were lost a few years ago...
__________________
Quote:
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Some people think being negative makes them sound like an expert.
tycat947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:28 PM   #22
scrybe
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,943
Default Re: WBB Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Hardy View Post
Frankly, I don’t remember a thimble full of criticism for Sherri when she was getting good recruits and producing conference, Big 12 tournament and high national finishes.

The criticism developed over time because Sherri was only signing good or decent players for nearly a decade that were, along with the coaching staff, not getting the job done up to The OU standards Sherri created.

No matter the sport, OU fans want their teams to be highly competitive up to OU standards, not the standards of any other teams.

Sherri set the bar doing a great job. What has happened overs the last 7-10 years, however, is mediocre at best — but certainly not up to the standards Sherri set and led us to care about.

Now, miraculously, things are dramatically on the upswing.

That CAN happen overnight, certainly. However, I believe such a potential resurgence normally only occurs after someone gets a good talking to and/or a swift kick in the pants.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Come on, Ollie! The upswing in recruiting is miraculous? The hyperbole in some of your posts can go completely over the top.

Of course that's no more ridiculous than opining that someone gave Sherri a swift kick in the pants – or even "a good talking to." You make her sound like a spoiled 13-year-old who got caught smoking.
__________________
Sent from my MacMini using my left index finger.
scrybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:52 PM   #23
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 3,867
Default Re: WBB Staff

As is generally the practice of every supervisor I am certain Joe C. has at least an annual performance review discussing the strengths and weaknesses in Sherri's performance for her review period. Not that one would call it a "talking too" but for certain he identifies the areas he would most like to see improvement.

If that meeting is not occurings then Joe C. is not doing his job. Which would/should probably be addressed with Joe C. by Boren in the past and Gallogly going forward.

What we rightly don't know is what is discussed in those private performance discussions. It can only be speculated here and everybody here has an equal probability of being right or wrong in their speculation and may never know which it is.
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 08-14-2018 at 07:07 PM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #24
tycat947
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 5,145
Default Re: WBB Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe View Post
Come on, Ollie! The upswing in recruiting is miraculous? The hyperbole in some of your posts can go completely over the top.

Of course that's no more ridiculous than opining that someone gave Sherri a swift kick in the pants – or even "a good talking to." You make her sound like a spoiled 13-year-old who got caught smoking.
__________________
Quote:
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Some people think being negative makes them sound like an expert.
tycat947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:32 PM   #25
Oliver Hardy
All-American
 
Oliver Hardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,123
Default Re: WBB Staff

Look,

I'm not saying she HAD a tough performance evaluation or a come-to-Jesus or anything. But that shouldn't be written off as out of the realm of possibility.

No program is willing to pay a million bucks for a 50 percent winning season for very long -- it doesn't matter whether you're Bob Stoops, Geno, Muffett or God.

However, for nearly the last decade we can't sign any of the "best" players by everyone's standards until Dungee and Mulkey and then BOOM we get this two years of some really fine players that have the promise of Whitney Hand or better than anything we brought in since the twins and Abi.

It stands to reason and common sense that something changed and there was a catalyst for it. That's the way life works.

It could have been Sherri herself, it could be refining recruiting targets or the pitch to potential players, or deciding she needs to alter the type of player she's been spotlighting. It could have been simply fate.

I don't know what it is. But I know for a FACT that such dramatical turn arounds don't just happen out of the blue and on their own.

What I think is most likely is Sherri was in a rut and she got out of it. Did she do it on her own because she was unhappy with the downward spiral we are in? I think that's what it was. I also think she got a second wind, so to speak.

Did it happen because of that and a "pick it up" discussion with Joe C. -- possibly.

Was Sherri feeling heat? No way, unless she put it on herself.

All I know is that recruiting has picked up and the future has greater potential to bring us back to the top 5 or 10 in the country than at any time in the last 5-10 years.

I'm more excited than I've been about OUWBB than I've been since Sherri was hired and took us to our first National Championship game.

And if any of you think nothing has changed -- well, as Ron Black says, "You can't fix stupid!"
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com