ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 03-30-2015, 03:18 PM   #51
scrybe
All-American

Default Re: New softball thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerNorm View Post
OU leads the country in:

Batting average- .388
OBP- .440
Scoring- 9.8
Slugging- .707
Those are great numbers. If we can get our pitching problems solved, we'll be a tough out in the postseason.
scrybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:14 PM   #52
j2d2
All-American

I thought that Nicole could slap along with her other outstanding abilities. Or maybe her hitting is too valuable to slap, but I would think that would depend on the situation.
j2d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:11 PM   #53
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2d2 View Post
I hold my breath every time Lauren steals. With her back, concussion, possibility of tearing her hand like Casey! She's too much of a competetor to keep her wraped in featherts but she scares me.

I hear you!!!! I was worried about the pitch that hit her, it was wicked - to the kidney. Of course, she got thrown out trying to steal second on Saturday.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:12 PM   #54
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2d2 View Post
I thought that Nicole could slap along with her other outstanding abilities. Or maybe her hitting is too valuable to slap, but I would think that would depend on the situation.
They moved Nicole to the 5 spot on Sunday and she went 4-4 with a HBP. She hits almost as well as her sister, I don't think you want her to slap very much.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:31 AM   #55
trusooner
Walk-on

Looks like Patty is moving Lauren back to leadoff. At least she did on Sunday. Maybe to keep her from getting walked so much. Good to see her get back to hitting especially the home run. She was stuck at 86 for quite a few games. Nicole is a great hitter. It's amazing how well she sees the ball. Anxious to see how they do against better pitching but they certainly hit the ball well the past weekend. Pitching definitely needs to improve.
trusooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:23 AM   #56
SoonerNorm
Super Moderator

OU is still ranked 6th in the country.
SoonerNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:29 AM   #57
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusooner View Post
Looks like Patty is moving Lauren back to leadoff. At least she did on Sunday. Maybe to keep her from getting walked so much. Good to see her get back to hitting especially the home run. She was stuck at 86 for quite a few games. Nicole is a great hitter. It's amazing how well she sees the ball. Anxious to see how they do against better pitching but they certainly hit the ball well the past weekend. Pitching definitely needs to improve.
They have actually hit really well against the best pitching. For instance, they creamed Nunley from Kentucky who just beat LSU. Even that one night in Louisiana, OU hit the ball hard just right at people. They hit the pitcher three times that night and LSU got the perfect ricochets. Lauren hit a laser to right that would have scored a run but the RF hardly had to move to get it. It happens sometimes. Lauren hit the ball hard and came up with no hits for five games. On Friday, she hit a laser to the left field wall that would have been gone sans the 20-25 mph wind. I think leadoff actually relaxes Lauren.

That being said Nicole went 1-9 to start the Tech series including an 0-5 on Friday. The one hit was a line drive home run that was never more than 10 off the ground. However, she was 4-4 with two doubles and a HBP including another line drive laser to CF that hit the top of the wall at about 7 feet - it never got higher than 10 feet either. I thought it was gone.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:33 AM   #58
Speedy17
Role Player

Boy, that Kansas softball was fool's gold. They were 28-2 then host Texas in Lawrence and are now 28-5 and 0-3 in the Big 12.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:35 AM   #59
Speedy17
Role Player

I am going out on the limb, I think Lauren at least ties the record this week.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:31 AM   #60
trusooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy17 View Post
They have actually hit really well against the best pitching. For instance, they creamed Nunley from Kentucky who just beat LSU. Even that one night in Louisiana, OU hit the ball hard just right at people. They hit the pitcher three times that night and LSU got the perfect ricochets. Lauren hit a laser to right that would have scored a run but the RF hardly had to move to get it. It happens sometimes. Lauren hit the ball hard and came up with no hits for five games. On Friday, she hit a laser to the left field wall that would have been gone sans the 20-25 mph wind. I think leadoff actually relaxes Lauren.

That being said Nicole went 1-9 to start the Tech series including an 0-5 on Friday. The one hit was a line drive home run that was never more than 10 off the ground. However, she was 4-4 with two doubles and a HBP including another line drive laser to CF that hit the top of the wall at about 7 feet - it never got higher than 10 feet either. I thought it was gone.
Guess I should have stated that better. I know they have hit better pitching and hit it well up to this point in the season. I should have said in the Big 12. Not sure how the pitching is in the Big 12 this year. I think Texas is ok but not great, just my observation, and not sure about Baylor. I know they struggled against OSU this past weekend.
I totally agree I think leadoff suits Lauren. Would love to see her break the record at home.
trusooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:09 AM   #61
scrybe
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerNorm View Post
OU is still ranked 6th in the country.
The Sooners actually rose one spot from No. 6 to No. 5 in this week's ESPN.com/USA Top 25 poll. The voting in this poll is done by coaches from 10 Division 1 conferences.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:50 AM   #62
SoonerNorm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe View Post
The Sooners actually rose one spot from No. 6 to No. 5 in this week's ESPN.com/USA Top 25 poll. The voting in this poll is done by coaches from 10 Division 1 conferences.
Yes, the poll I saw was the NFCA.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:48 PM   #63
sybarite
National Champion

Chamberlain
S. Pendley
Parker
E. Miller
Self
N. Pendley
Wodach (C)
Vest
Arnold

Stevens

Another try to get Kelsey going. Wodach instead of Ellis behind the plate.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:10 PM   #64
sybarite
National Champion

Stevens three up, three down in the first.

Chamberlain wallk
Shelby fouled out to C
Paige doubled off left center field wall, Lauren scored

Last edited by sybarite; 03-31-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:24 PM   #65
sybarite
National Champion

Stevens three up, three down in the second

Nicole walks
Wodach lines one out of left center
Vest strikeout
Arnold popped a double behind first
Lauren doubles off right field wall, Arnold to third
Shelby popped to short left
Paige three run shot to right 6-0
Erin popped to short

Last edited by sybarite; 03-31-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:03 PM   #66
sybarite
National Champion

Central Arkansas scores six to tie. It began because of Steven's wildness, but there was more to it than that. She had a walk, hit batsman, single (on which Vest didn't even move to a ball that was four feet to her left), a walk to score a run. A ground ball scored another. Then, Nicole and Erin misplayed a fly to right before a home run tied it. At worst, it should have been 6-2.

Self walk
Double to left center by Nicole
Wodach hit a towering drive to center 9-6
Vest fouled to C
Arnold E-4
Lauren tripled to right, arnold scored
Shelby drives one out 12-6
Paige grounder to first
Erin caught looking

Last edited by sybarite; 03-31-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:36 PM   #67
sybarite
National Champion

Nothing for Central Arkansas in the fourth. Either they go in order or score six.

Self Singled to left
Nicole hit a line drive, double play as they got Self off first
Wodach single to center
Nirschi walk
Arnold grounder to second.

Three of the hardest hit balls today were line drive shots by Nicole, two of which were foul over the right field fence, not foul by much, and that line drive to first. She was out before she finished her swing.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:11 PM   #68
sybarite
National Champion

Final 12-6
Leslie Miller pitched the seventh.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:13 PM   #69
scrybe
All-American

Dang, we can hit. But we've got to get Stevens back to her previous form if we're gonna run with the big dogs. We'll need more than one good pitcher when we get to the postseason.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:23 PM   #70
SoonerNorm
Super Moderator

http://m.soonersports.com/mobile/Vie..._OEM_ID=31000&
Old 03-31-2015, 07:28 PM   #71
tycat947
Elite Eight

Quote:
Dang, we can hit. But we've got to get Stevens back to her previous form if we're gonna run with the big dogs. We'll need more than one good pitcher when we get to the postseason.
Yes, it's quite surprising a 38 game winner last year is having this kind of year. Maybe she needs all the pressure on her to really pitch well? It doesn't appear any injury is at the root of her struggles but at some point we need a quality #2.
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Some people think being negative makes them sound like an expert.
tycat947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:32 PM   #72
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
I don't disagree that we need Stevens back but it is insane to keep rolling her out there with the current results. Shelby Pendley is pitching better but we don't have Georgia on the infield to play second when we move Vest to SS. I thought it was interesting that they gave Leslie a shot in the 7th inning today. She was better than Stevens.

As for needing more than one pitcher in the post season, this is the greatest misnomer ever. Teams usually ride their ace. In 2012, OU went to the National Championship series and Keilani Ricketts pitched every single game. In 2013, OU won the national championship and Keilani Ricketts pitched every single game until Game #2 of the National Championship series and she could have pitched it. In a three game series, it is good to have a different pitcher in Game 2 to keep the opposing teams from locking in on your ace. However, until the championship series, teams don't usually play the same team twice.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:34 PM   #73
Speedy17
Role Player

A little food for thought. You will be stunned when I say this but Paige Parker is way ahead of Keilani Ricketts for her freshman year at least at the plate. She already has 9 Hrs and 33 RBIs and is hitting .438. By comparison, Ricketts hit 5 Hrs with 20 RBIs and .244 for her entire Freshman year. Pitching wise, it is close because Paige is 14-3 with 3 perfect games (more than Ricketts entire career) with a 1.35 ERA. Ricketts went 32-10 with an ERA of 1.24 as a freshman.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:22 PM   #74
sybarite
National Champion

It does become essential to win the first game, preferably the first two, or you pitcher will get a lot of work.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:18 AM   #75
Stringmusic
Role Player

Thanks, Syb for the play-by-play. Really appreciate it. Did Stevens pitch 6 innings? Interesting about Miller pitching the 7th - I didn't know she could pitch. I think as soon as we get Georgia back we will see Shelby pitching some more. But I do want Stevens to return to form.
Stringmusic is offline   Reply With Quote