ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2017, 10:11 AM   #1
OUHoops
Administrator
 
OUHoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,045
Default Ty Lazenby ready for OU visit | Sooners Illustrated

http://www.scout.com/college/oklahom...y-for-ou-visit
OUHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
mardaddy51
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 145
Default Re: Ty Lazenby ready for OU visit | Sooners Illustrated

What does everyone think? Obviously a plan B at the position, but is he worth it?
mardaddy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:31 AM   #3
KBaden145
All-Conference
 
KBaden145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,075
Default

If the kid will commit and not take the Utah visit, I say we take him and save the other scholly. We need shooting and, unless there is a better realistic option out there, I think he could help us. Poor man's Erdmann.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KBaden145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:56 AM   #4
tmeyer3307
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 263
Default Re: Ty Lazenby ready for OU visit | Sooners Illustrated

Man I see him as the 6th or 7th option at guard yes which I guess we need right now.. Just would be nice to fill it with a better 1 yr transfer then have 2 open scholarships for the next season.

Father in Law just retired from Newman University and recruits this Juco quite a bit and said he watched him score 45 points at Hutch. Says he is a scorer not great but decent shooter. Puts it on floor pretty well. Tweener basically. Does not think he is big 12 good. Thinks he is a stretch for a good mid major program.
tmeyer3307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:23 AM   #5
usedtobe1
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montgomery, Texas
Posts: 2,906
Default Re: Ty Lazenby ready for OU visit | Sooners Illustrated

I would probably hold it for 2018. Assuming our guard/wing starters are Trae, McGusty, and Odomes then do we consider Lazenby to be a better 6th man option than James and Sheperd? I just hate to lock in a kid for 2 years who may not be any better than what we already have. It just seems we may end up with a bunch of middle-of-the-road wings.

I would like it better if it were a PF type like Shukur Juiston.
usedtobe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:11 PM   #6
perryj74
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mooreland
Posts: 496
Default Re: Ty Lazenby ready for OU visit | Sooners Illustrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobe1 View Post
I would probably hold it for 2018. Assuming our guard/wing starters are Trae, McGusty, and Odomes then do we consider Lazenby to be a better 6th man option than James and Sheperd? I just hate to lock in a kid for 2 years who may not be any better than what we already have. It just seems we may end up with a bunch of middle-of-the-road wings.

I would like it better if it were a PF type like Shukur Juiston.
It's going to be pretty difficult this late in the game to find someone better than James and Sheperd. I know James struggled this year but we all know how good he can be and I think Sheperd is one of those guys in 3 years we're going to compare to Austin Johnson.
perryj74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:42 PM   #7
cvangild
Role Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 517
Default Re: Ty Lazenby ready for OU visit | Sooners Illustrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryj74 View Post
It's going to be pretty difficult this late in the game to find someone better than James and Sheperd. I know James struggled this year but we all know how good he can be and I think Sheperd is one of those guys in 3 years we're going to compare to Austin Johnson.
The problem is...if one of those two were to get injured....we would be screwed with no depth at the guard position.

A Senior transfer would have been ideal here (that way it opens up the ship for next year too), but Lazenby might be the next best option. Plus he's an Oklahoma kid...and I think he would work his tail off!!!!
cvangild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:44 PM   #8
dahldennsull
Role Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 649
Default Re: Ty Lazenby ready for OU visit | Sooners Illustrated

this is a capel offer if I've ever seen one. GROSS, please don't go down this path again
dahldennsull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:52 PM   #9
dahldennsull
Role Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 649
Default Re: Ty Lazenby ready for OU visit | Sooners Illustrated

http://region2athletics.com/sports/m...s?view=profile

He shot 31.4% from 3 this season. He's listed at 6'5 on NOC's roster...

Save the ship for 2018
dahldennsull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:08 PM   #10
oukyle
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 131
Default Re: Ty Lazenby ready for OU visit | Sooners Illustrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahldennsull View Post
http://region2athletics.com/sports/m...s?view=profile

He shot 31.4% from 3 this season. He's listed at 6'5 on NOC's roster...

Save the ship for 2018
Not a huge fan of the offer, but you referenced his freshman (2015-2016) season, not this year when he was 35.9% from 3.

http://www.region2athletics.com/spor.../tylazenbyhuk2
oukyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:17 PM   #11
CoachTalk
Elite Eight
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,996
Default Re: Ty Lazenby ready for OU visit | Sooners Illustrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahldennsull View Post
this is a capel offer if I've ever seen one. GROSS, please don't go down this path again
Lol. Comparing Kruger and capel is an unintelligent idea.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:22 PM   #12
cvangild
Role Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 517
Default Re: Ty Lazenby ready for OU visit | Sooners Illustrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahldennsull View Post
http://region2athletics.com/sports/m...s?view=profile

He shot 31.4% from 3 this season. He's listed at 6'5 on NOC's roster...

Save the ship for 2018
That was from his freshman season. In your world, I guess no one can actually improve their shooting % in one year>???

Take a look at Buddy's shooting % from 3 his freshman year vs. his Jr. and Sr. years.

Dumb logic.
cvangild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:42 PM   #13
AdaSooner
Administrator
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 12,305
Default Re: Ty Lazenby ready for OU visit | Sooners Illustrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by oukyle View Post
Not a huge fan of the offer, but you referenced his freshman (2015-2016) season, not this year when he was 35.9% from 3.

http://www.region2athletics.com/spor.../tylazenbyhuk2
You are correct, oukyle! But Lazenby's shooting percentage is not the only improvement he made. Watch the thirteen minutes highlight video online and the one I posted a link to on the other thread, and you'll see a totally different player from his freshman to his sophomore season.

Like you, I'm not sold on the idea of signing Lazenby or any juco player, except maybe Juiston. But if our coaches want him, I'll support their decision and cheer the kid on when he walks out on the floor in his OU uniform.
AdaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:50 PM   #14
dahldennsull
Role Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 649
Default Re: Ty Lazenby ready for OU visit | Sooners Illustrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvangild View Post
That was from his freshman season. In your world, I guess no one can actually improve their shooting % in one year>???

Take a look at Buddy's shooting % from 3 his freshman year vs. his Jr. and Sr. years.

Dumb logic.
ok my bad, him being a 35% shooter sophomore year is much better.

CJ Washington looked pretty damn good at Connors state too, bet you want to offer him again?
dahldennsull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:53 PM   #15
Stikboy
Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,181
Default Re: Ty Lazenby ready for OU visit | Sooners Illustrated

Anybody remember Robert Allison? Is that this guy's game?
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:32 PM   #16
sdcloud9
Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,058
Default Re: Ty Lazenby ready for OU visit | Sooners Illustrated

I understand both sides.....

I don't think anyone believes he's going to start next year at OU but OU does need the guard depth.

No doubt he's a volume shooter, he won't get that chance at a P5 school. He'll be similar to Buford in that when he makes some 3's, he can play, when he doesn't, he may not be able to do enough other things to play much.
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:27 PM   #17
allday92
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 240
Default Re: Ty Lazenby ready for OU visit | Sooners Illustrated

I'd rather use the scholarship on finding another Jordan Shepherd. Someone out of HS in the late signing period that went overlooked by other bigger schools.
allday92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:18 AM   #18
Laxtothemax12
All-American
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,368
Default Re: Ty Lazenby ready for OU visit | Sooners Illustrated

This kid might be a late bloomer? I know it's JUCO (Just ask Lavar Ball ) but his numbers were impressive. Free throws, shooting %'s, points, and rebounds for a 6'5'' kid.
Laxtothemax12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:57 AM   #19
dahldennsull
Role Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 649
Default Re: Ty Lazenby ready for OU visit | Sooners Illustrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxtothemax12 View Post
This kid might be a late bloomer? I know it's JUCO (Just ask Lavar Ball ) but his numbers were impressive. Free throws, shooting %'s, points, and rebounds for a 6'5'' kid.
I just don't see this translating, very different level and size of athlete in D1 Big 12 basketball than what he saw at NOC. That will likely decrease % numbers as the defenders will be better, but lets just imagine it wont, no way he's going to rebound like that here.
dahldennsull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:16 AM   #20
Laxtothemax12
All-American
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,368
Default Re: Ty Lazenby ready for OU visit | Sooners Illustrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahldennsull View Post
I just don't see this translating, very different level and size of athlete in D1 Big 12 basketball than what he saw at NOC. That will likely decrease % numbers as the defenders will be better, but lets just imagine it wont, no way he's going to rebound like that here.
Probably right, but guys like JW at 6' could get 5-8 rebounds a game. Sometimes it's more about desire and being right place right time (basketball IQ I guess) and sometimes it's an athletically God Given thing. I think we could take another guard this year just in case.
Laxtothemax12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:55 PM   #21
chuckb
Starter
 
chuckb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,282
Default Re: Ty Lazenby ready for OU visit | Sooners Illustrated

I just reread this article as well as a couple of articles on his visit to Penn St. Now, I have no idea about his affinity for the Sooners -- maybe he's always wanted to play at OU -- but I'd bet his chances for playing time are much greater at Penn St and if he's not just always wanted to play for OU, he's more likely to end up there. As everyone else has already pointed out, he's about our 6th option in the backcourt and if either James finds his shot or Odomes proves he can make 3 pointers consistently, he may rarely see the court for us.

I'm not saying he can't help us. Maybe he can and I'll defer to the coaches on that. But there are only si many minutes to go around and I'll bet he recognizes that. Let's be honest, he'd be filing DSM's spot and he didn't get that many minutes per game last year, and that was B.T. -- before Trae.
chuckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:34 PM   #22
sdcloud9
Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,058
Default Re: Ty Lazenby ready for OU visit | Sooners Illustrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckb View Post
I just reread this article as well as a couple of articles on his visit to Penn St. Now, I have no idea about his affinity for the Sooners -- maybe he's always wanted to play at OU -- but I'd bet his chances for playing time are much greater at Penn St and if he's not just always wanted to play for OU, he's more likely to end up there. As everyone else has already pointed out, he's about our 6th option in the backcourt and if either James finds his shot or Odomes proves he can make 3 pointers consistently, he may rarely see the court for us.

I'm not saying he can't help us. Maybe he can and I'll defer to the coaches on that. But there are only si many minutes to go around and I'll bet he recognizes that. Let's be honest, he'd be filing DSM's spot and he didn't get that many minutes per game last year, and that was B.T. -- before Trae.
He grew up an OSU fan, they are not recruiting him. I think he would want to play in state if he could, that's just speculation but he did not grow up an OU fan.
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com