ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 10-09-2020, 08:46 AM   #1
CoachTalk
National Champion

Default Usedtobe1 passing

I hate bringing bad news. Usedtobe1 passed away Oct 4th.

I only knew him through this board but he was a friend through messages and texts.

Ada can speak for him a tad more than I can but he loved OU and his grandkids more than almost anything.

His wife let me know he loved this community of ou fans.

God bless and say an extra prayer for his family.

https://www.poncacitynews.com/obitua...b-frankenfield

Last edited by CoachTalk; 10-10-2020 at 06:56 AM.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:41 AM   #2
skyvue
Final Four

Default Re: Usedtobe1 passing

Oh, I'm terribly sad to hear this. I never met him but I greatly admired him and very much enjoyed his contributions to this community.

May he rest in peace and may his loved ones be comforted by his memory.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:44 AM   #3
cvangild
Role Player

Wow...that's really unfortunate. We all may not agree on everything as it pertains to OU b-ball...but we ALL share the same love for OU b-ball and all of us are in this together (life). I will pray for him and his family. He will be missed!
cvangild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:47 AM   #4
Stikboy
All-Conference

May he rest in peace and his family has my prayers. Great contributor..
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:51 AM   #5
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

Basketball was one of his true loves and it allowed him a needed distraction when facing a tumultuous (only took me 4 times to get the word spelled correctly) life as it related to his poor health. He's in a better place, blown leads are a thing of the past.

Last edited by sheepdogs1; 10-09-2020 at 09:54 AM.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:57 AM   #6
BanjoCharley
Starter

Usedtobe1 was one of our cohort whose posts I always read with pleasure. He seemed to hit all of his free throws. His loss will be felt by me and probably by all of us. Such is life. Blessings to his family.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:57 AM   #7
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
I hate bringing bad news. Usedtobe1 passed away Oct 4th.

I only knew him through this board but he was a friend through messages and texts.

Ada can speak for him a tad more than I can but he loved OU and his grandkids more than almost anything.

His wife let me know he loved this community of ou fans.

God bless and say an extra prayer for his family.
Thank you, Coach! I didn’t know Usedtobe1 had passed away. That is definitely sad news to me!

Usedtobe1 and I had a lot in common. We saw eye to eye on nearly every issue. We officiated high school basketball for several years. We developed a special friendship over the years. I asked him to join me here as an admin and he agreed. I never met him personally, but we talked on the telephone a number of times, and we communicated regularly through PM and email.

He told me about his terminal cancer diagnosis more than four years ago. The doctor had given him one year to live back then. But he defied the odds through prayer and a determined effort to be around longer for his family, especially his grandchildren. I called him “the miracle man.”

He sent me pictures of his family and his adorable twin granddaughters a little more than two months ago. He was not only proud, he was grateful God had let him live long enough to see them.

Usedtobe1 (Bob) was an inspiration to me. He will be missed! My wife and I have prayed for him and his family for more than four years. He doesn’t need them now, but our prayers for his family will continue. RIP, old friend!
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:29 AM   #8
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Sad to hear. I always enjoyed his posts
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:48 AM   #9
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Terrible news, may he Rest In Peace.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:24 PM   #10
scrybe
All-American

I, too, am sorry to hear this. Didn't know the man personally, but I admired him not only for his knowledge of the game, but also for his respectful posting style. Utb1 is now celebrating with the other saints, I'd imagine, so he doesn't need our prayers. But I pray for his family in their difficult time.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:07 PM   #11
thebigabd
National Champion

Very sad news.... He was always one of my favorite posters on the forum. He's been around on the forums as long as me, Ada, skyvue, and some of the other village elders.

I hope he went peacefully.

Ada... thanks for the extra information on him. Sounds like a great person.

Last edited by thebigabd; 10-09-2020 at 01:13 PM.
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:07 PM   #12
jmizzy4ou
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
Thank you, Coach! I didn’t know Usedtobe1 had passed away. That is definitely sad news to me!

Usedtobe1 and I had a lot in common. We saw eye to eye on nearly every issue. We officiated high school basketball for several years. We developed a special friendship over the years. I asked him to join me here as an admin and he agreed. I never met him personally, but we talked on the telephone a number of times, and we communicated regularly through PM and email.

He told me about his terminal cancer diagnosis more than four years ago. The doctor had given him one year to live back then. But he defied the odds through prayer and a determined effort to be around longer for his family, especially his grandchildren. I called him “the miracle man.”

He sent me pictures of his family and his adorable twin granddaughters a little more than two months ago. He was not only proud, he was grateful God had let him live long enough to see them.

Usedtobe1 (Bob) was an inspiration to me. He will be missed! My wife and I have prayed for him and his family for more than four years. He doesn’t need them now, but our prayers for his family will continue. RIP, old friend!
I also shared many great conversations with Bob by PM over the years. He lived many years in Ponca City, and knew so many of my family members and friends of my family. We believe he played softball with my father on one of the local teams, and he worked for the AAU sports agency when my dad played for the Conoco Oil team which was based in Ponca.

He was a fighter, and everything he ever said to me was positive. I wouldn't have known he was fighting an aggressive cancer had he not told me, and he never blamed anyone or asked why me. I enjoyed our conversations, and I regret we broke contact a year or two ago as I pulled away from message boards all together.

He loved his family and we bonded over talks about his grandkids and me about my daughter. I will continue to pray for his family. RIP Usedtobe1.....
jmizzy4ou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:00 PM   #13
CoachTalk
National Champion

I have shared these messages with Bobs wife. She expressed usedtobe1 passion again for this board.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:12 PM   #14
sanguinetti
Role Player

sad to hear that. my mom's family also has Ponca roots.
sanguinetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:18 PM   #15
Sooner04
All-Conference

It's amazing the impact someone can have on you with just their words. I never met usedtobe1, didn't even know his name, but I looked forward to his posts. If you love OU Basketball, you are my friend. It's a small club, those of us who closely follow the product on the Sooner hardwood, but our bond is tight.

If an obituary is posted online, please share it with us. I'd love to learn more about Bob and his family.

Thank you for passing along this very tough news.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:40 AM   #16
WaymanFan
Administrator

So sad to read another great poster and OU fan now rooting for the Sooners from above. I’ll keep Bob’s family and friends in my prayers.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 05:49 AM   #17
vbdad
Starter

Condolences to the family! Thankfully he was able to get those couple extra years.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:57 AM   #18
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
It's amazing the impact someone can have on you with just their words. I never met usedtobe1, didn't even know his name, but I looked forward to his posts. If you love OU Basketball, you are my friend. It's a small club, those of us who closely follow the product on the Sooner hardwood, but our bond is tight.

If an obituary is posted online, please share it with us. I'd love to learn more about Bob and his family.

Thank you for passing along this very tough news.
I shared it in the OP.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:05 AM   #19
red recluse
Starter

he will truly be missed. great poster, even better fan. thank you for sharing.
red recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:24 AM   #20
BoulderSooner
Administrator

He really helped set this board up for success a long time ago. I did not know him but he will be missed. Thank you to coach and ada for the posts.
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:17 PM   #21
ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizzy4ou View Post
I also shared many great conversations with Bob by PM over the years. He lived many years in Ponca City, and knew so many of my family members and friends of my family. We believe he played softball with my father on one of the local teams, and he worked for the AAU sports agency when my dad played for the Conoco Oil team which was based in Ponca.

He was a fighter, and everything he ever said to me was positive. I wouldn't have known he was fighting an aggressive cancer had he not told me, and he never blamed anyone or asked why me. I enjoyed our conversations, and I regret we broke contact a year or two ago as I pulled away from message boards all together.

He loved his family and we bonded over talks about his grandkids and me about my daughter. I will continue to pray for his family. RIP Usedtobe1.....

I’m from Ponca also and was a member of the YMCA RecPlex that he was President of. One of the best YMCA’s around

RIP Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:33 PM   #22
hoopsaustin
Final Four

Terrible. I hate this
Old 10-12-2020, 08:01 PM   #23
MichaelM
Walk-on

MichaelM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:24 AM   #24
sdcloud9
Starter

I pray for God's blessing on the family.
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:33 PM   #25
CMSOONER
Starter

Sad news. Rest in peace Usedtobe1.
CMSOONER is offline   Reply With Quote