ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 09-29-2020, 01:23 PM   #1
bcsooner
Walk-on

Default Transfer Latest

So still no word on the status of Gibson and Harkless? Thought a decision was to come down last week? Fact that it's almost October and the NCAA is still letting these guys hang out to dry is ridiculous.
bcsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:16 PM   #2
CoachTalk
National Champion

Default Re: Transfer Latest

Patience my friend. In lon you shall trust
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:14 PM   #3
slappy in OP
All-Conference

I trust Lon implicitly. It is the NCAA that I donít trust.
slappy in OP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:27 AM   #4
AdaSooner
Administrator

Neither do I. The NCAA likes to play games, prove theyíre in charge. Their reasoning and their snail pace in making decisions can be really frustrating sometimes.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:59 AM   #5
CoachTalk
National Champion

if the transfer school ok's it this year. its a done deal... Good news should be soon
Old 10-02-2020, 10:17 AM   #6
cvangild
Role Player

Remember Ta Thomas? He didn't get word from the NCAA until the day of the first game that season!!

I really hope Gibson gets the thumbs up for this season. He's a difference maker and is worth 2-3 more wins this season if he gets to play (IMO).
cvangild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 12:14 PM   #7
AdaSooner
Administrator

I agree with everything you said about Gibson. IMO, he was the best guard on the floor when we played UNT last season.

I hope Coach is right about the good news he’s expecting!
Old 10-03-2020, 08:11 AM   #8
vbdad
Starter

They are granting everyone transfers it seems. Of course the NCAA has almost no staff working since Labor Day. Hopefully the janitor will say it is ok before long.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:15 PM   #9
Seymore Cox
National Champion

One is gonna redshirt. I understand that the one redshirting is a really good scorer who will fill the scoring void next year.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:29 PM   #10
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore Cox View Post
One is gonna redshirt. I understand that the one redshirting is a really good scorer who will fill the scoring void next year.
Now that the NCAA officially announced that no one will use up a year of eligibility this season, I would think some kids who planned to redshirt might reconsider. Not saying all of them, but some. And certainly gives you flexibility if there are injury issues.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:46 AM   #11
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Now that the NCAA officially announced that no one will use up a year of eligibility this season, I would think some kids who planned to redshirt might reconsider. Not saying all of them, but some. And certainly gives you flexibility if there are injury issues.
yep there is not a reason to redshirt at all ...

this also opens the door for the four seniors to come back next season ..
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:42 AM   #12
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
yep there is not a reason to redshirt at all ...

this also opens the door for the four seniors to come back next season ..
This ESPN article confirms what youíre saying. However, there seems to be some unanswered questions, among them putting coaches in a tight spot if a senior on their roster wants to return for another year. How do you plan and recruit around that possibility? Set an early deadline for a decision I suppose.

Assuming Iím interpreting the transfer provision correctly, the NCAA counsel is recommending a one-time transfer that would make everyone eligible immediately, which may explain why our coaches seem to be reasonably confident Gibson and Harkless will be eligible to play this season. That doesnít change their plans to redshirt Harkless, but it would be a welcome surprise for Gibson.

On the confusing side, at least to me, the NCAA board of governors will not vote on that proposal until January. If that is an accurate interpretation, I donít see how Gibson could be eligible able to play during the first semester if the vote to approve or deny eligibility for everyone is in January? What am I missing here?

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...sport-athletes
Old 10-16-2020, 09:25 AM   #13
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
This ESPN article confirms what youíre saying. However, there seems to be some unanswered questions, among them putting coaches in a tight spot if a senior on their roster wants to return for another year. How do you plan and recruit around that possibility? Set an early deadline for a decision I suppose.

Assuming Iím interpreting the transfer provision correctly, the NCAA counsel is recommending a one-time transfer that would make everyone eligible immediately, which may explain why our coaches seem to be reasonably confident Gibson and Harkless will be eligible to play this season. That doesnít change their plans to redshirt Harkless, but it would be a welcome surprise for Gibson.

On the confusing side, at least to me, the NCAA board of governors will not vote on that proposal until January. If that is an accurate interpretation, I donít see how Gibson could be eligible able to play during the first semester if the vote to approve or deny eligibility for everyone is in January? What am I missing here?

for football any returning seniors next season do not count against the 85 limit i would guess basketball will be the same ..

this will cause issues in future years for football roster mgmt ..

OU has always believed that Gibson will get his waiver they are now confident about Harkless as well .. and now with this season not counting for anyone no one will redshirt ..
Old 10-16-2020, 11:04 AM   #14
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
for football any returning seniors next season do not count against the 85 limit i would guess basketball will be the same ..

this will cause issues in future years for football roster mgmt ..

OU has always believed that Gibson will get his waiver they are now confident about Harkless as well .. and now with this season not counting for anyone no one will redshirt ..
That’s great news, Boulder!

Gibson will be a nice addition to this year’s team. I said not long ago that he was the best guard on the floor when we played UNT last season. I stand by that observation.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:17 AM   #15
vbdad
Starter

LK said yesterday on the radio we still haven’t finished the paperwork for Harkless. He hopes to hear soon on Gibson.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:23 PM   #16
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbdad View Post
LK said yesterday on the radio we still havenít finished the paperwork for Harkless. He hopes to hear soon on Gibson.
thank you for the update
Old 10-16-2020, 03:42 PM   #17
mict085
All-Conference

The ncaa will probably get around to clearing them around March.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:54 AM   #18
thewez
Walk-on

Corbin Merritt just got clearance from the NCAA to play this year for Austin Peay, per Jeff Goodman
thewez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:07 PM   #19
CoachTalk
National Champion

UNT has given the go ahead for Gibson. Full corporation
Old 10-25-2020, 07:36 AM   #20
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
UNT has given the go ahead for Gibson. Full corporation
If that means MO will receive a waiver to play right away, I feel really good about the season ahead. He gives us an experienced guard who can score in a variety of ways and swing to the one or the two as needed.

Great news, Coach!
Old 10-25-2020, 09:43 AM   #21
Soonerinkc
Sweet 16

Quote:

my thoughts are "glad to have you back but playing time is not guaranteed"....as a coach and program, you've recruited behind your seniors for 3/4 years...knowing they'd be gone.

Obviously if the guy was a mainstay he'd have an adv...but nothing guaranteed...another question would be for the guys below the Sr's....they've expected these guys to leave as well giving them more opportunity now it might not happen...how do you appease those kids?

just my 2 cents...
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:12 PM   #22
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerinkc View Post
my thoughts are "glad to have you back but playing time is not guaranteed"....as a coach and program, you've recruited behind your seniors for 3/4 years...knowing they'd be gone.

Obviously if the guy was a mainstay he'd have an adv...but nothing guaranteed...another question would be for the guys below the Sr's....they've expected these guys to leave as well giving them more opportunity now it might not happen...how do you appease those kids?

just my 2 cents...
Exactly! Makes me wonder if the NCAA considered all of the possibilities before they added another year to the eligibility rule? What will OU do if one or more of our four seniors want to come back next year? Talk about a roster traffic jam!
Old 10-25-2020, 03:17 PM   #23
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Exactly! Makes me wonder if the NCAA considered all of the possibilities before they added another year to the eligibility rule? What will OU do if one or more of our four seniors want to come back next year? Talk about a roster traffic jam!
They definitely thought it through because they had heard all the feedback after making the decision for spring sports. But I really think for basketball, it will be a non-issue. If the season gets played to its completion, few if any seniors are going to stick around for another year.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:42 PM   #24
skyvue
Final Four

I agree it probably won't really be a big deal, that more will leave than stay, but if it did happen, they could give each school two additional scholarships for that one year.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:47 AM   #25
hoopsaustin
Final Four

Wait, we could get 2 years of gibson right? I love the idea of that... (if only doolittle somehow got to come back for this year lol)