ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Campus Corner

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2020, 12:10 PM   #1
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 12,663
Default Current Events Thread

In order to keep the other thread about Covid-19, thought I would start a current events thread for general chatter about the goings on in the world. If you guys think its a bad idea, I will delete the thread.

Figure I will kick us off with the situation in Seattle. It looks like protesters have created some kind of "autonomous zone" with no police presence.

Trump is acting like the city has been overrun by Antifa, literally tweeting that the city has been taken over.



Anyone know how extensive this really is?
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES
thebigabd is offline  
Old 06-11-2020, 12:20 PM   #2
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,770
Default Re: Current Events Thread

I say let whatever city doesn't want police do without them and see how that goes for them. Will be a lovely study.

It is also nice that in new york,vandalism is churches is OK now because it is just a minor offense and it isn't worth stopping or prosecuting people doing it because the negatives outweigh the positives.

what is this world coming to?


Oh, and yes this is a terrible idea for a thread
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline  
Old 06-11-2020, 01:06 PM   #3
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,878
Default Re: Current Events Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
I say let whatever city doesn't want police do without them and see how that goes for them. Will be a lovely study.

It is also nice that in new york,vandalism is churches is OK now because it is just a minor offense and it isn't worth stopping or prosecuting people doing it because the negatives outweigh the positives.

what is this world coming to?


Oh, and yes this is a terrible idea for a thread

Attention is what he craves. It's trollicious.
sheepdogs1 is offline  
Old 06-11-2020, 04:44 PM   #4
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,770
Default Re: Current Events Thread

Tulsa made national news for black men getting arrested for jaywalking. Pretty evident they were ignoring police and resisting arrest
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline  
Old 06-11-2020, 07:40 PM   #5
mict085
All-Conference
 
mict085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,779
Default Re: Current Events Thread

So, domestic terrorists take over a portion of a downtown American city and the democrat that started this thread sees nothing wrong with that?

The terrorists are shaking down local businesses and setting up borders (isnít that a no-no with dems?) and yet, still nothing from the left?

LOL.
mict085 is offline  
Old 06-11-2020, 07:50 PM   #6
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,878
Default Re: Current Events Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
So, domestic terrorists take over a portion of a downtown American city and the democrat that started this thread sees nothing wrong with that?

The terrorists are shaking down local businesses and setting up borders (isnít that a no-no with dems?) and yet, still nothing from the left?

LOL.
Anything for power and I mean anything. Peculiar coming from moralistic and virtuous folks. When you introduce convenience, though, it creates forked tongue individuals. No surprise here. Expect more of the same.
sheepdogs1 is offline  
Old 06-11-2020, 07:55 PM   #7
tooney
Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,309
Default Re: Current Events Thread

This story about the "police state" during the protests in Minnesota got my attention.......

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-up...ce-agencies-sa

I can't believe that the national guard and law officers thought it would be a "good idea" to slash all the tires in the parking lot. Because the owners "might" cause trouble later......????

I would like to know who gave the order on this one....
__________________
I can't afford to hate people. I don't have that kind of time.
tooney is offline  
Old 06-11-2020, 08:27 PM   #8
Sooner04
All-Conference
 
Sooner04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,969
Default Re: Current Events Thread

abd, have you ever been to Seattle? It's a wonderful city.

But, man, their downtown is a MESS. The homeless population down there has grown exponentially and they give tourists and locals alike all kinds of hell. I'm pretty well traveled domestically, and being in downtown Seattle a few years back is the only time I ever felt unsafe.
Sooner04 is offline  
Old 06-12-2020, 08:44 AM   #9
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 12,663
Default Re: Current Events Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
abd, have you ever been to Seattle? It's a wonderful city.

But, man, their downtown is a MESS. The homeless population down there has grown exponentially and they give tourists and locals alike all kinds of hell. I'm pretty well traveled domestically, and being in downtown Seattle a few years back is the only time I ever felt unsafe.
I have not, but have wanted to go.... I went to San Francisco on business 3-4 years ago and found a similar scene with the homeless. Of course, I see lots of homeless people in Denver, Las Vegas, and other major cities I go to... but I've heard its very bad in Seattle.

Quote:
Tulsa made national news for black men getting arrested for jaywalking. Pretty evident they were ignoring police and resisting arrest
I saw the video.... I see two sides to this. Why were they trying to stop them for jaywalking. I am 100% I would never get questioned by police for that. But once they engaged with the people they were definitely resisting. But at this point in time I think it was dumb for the cops to bother them for jaywalking. Have some common sense.
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES
thebigabd is offline  
Old 06-12-2020, 09:06 AM   #10
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,770
Default Re: Current Events Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post



I saw the video.... I see two sides to this. Why were they trying to stop them for jaywalking. I am 100% I would never get questioned by police for that. But once they engaged with the people they were definitely resisting. But at this point in time I think it was dumb for the cops to bother them for jaywalking. Have some common sense.
Yep. I'm not sure why they were stopped for jaywalking. Could be because the cops were racist. Could be that people have been hit on the road before. Could be that they have been told before. Could be that drivers have complained about people walking on the road stopping traffic.
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline  
Old 06-15-2020, 08:21 AM   #11
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,770
Default Re: Current Events Thread

I'm confused on why people are outraged by the Atlanta video that came out. The guy stole their tazer and was trying to use it on them. What would have happened if he was successful?
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline  
Old 06-15-2020, 08:24 AM   #12
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 12,663
Default Re: Current Events Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
I'm confused on why people are outraged by the Atlanta video that came out. The guy stole their tazer and was trying to use it on them. What would have happened if he was successful?
I didn't agree with their attorneys statement on that.... He was saying "you can't shoot him because he had a tazer, but a tazer is not a deadly weapon, so you killed him and he didn't have a deadly weapon"... That logic doesn't add up to me.

The officer has a deadly weapon, his gun. If I use a tazer on the cop, I then have access to his gun, or could otherwise kill him if I wanted to because he is incapacitated.

Am I wrong on that?
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES
thebigabd is offline  
Old 06-15-2020, 08:26 AM   #13
steverocks35
Elite Eight
 
steverocks35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,629
Default Re: Current Events Thread

I don't understand how that whole thing escalated. Dude was asleep in his car.
steverocks35 is offline  
Old 06-15-2020, 08:33 AM   #14
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,878
Default Re: Current Events Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
I didn't agree with their attorneys statement on that.... He was saying "you can't shoot him because he had a tazer, but a tazer is not a deadly weapon, so you killed him and he didn't have a deadly weapon"... That logic doesn't add up to me.

The officer has a deadly weapon, his gun. If I use a tazer on the cop, I then have access to his gun, or could otherwise kill him if I wanted to because he is incapacitated.

Am I wrong on that?

I don't know why I am responding, but you have your bases covered on this one. And what has been your latest read (as in book)? Historical in nature I hope.
sheepdogs1 is offline  
Old 06-15-2020, 08:38 AM   #15
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,770
Default Re: Current Events Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
I didn't agree with their attorneys statement on that.... He was saying "you can't shoot him because he had a tazer, but a tazer is not a deadly weapon, so you killed him and he didn't have a deadly weapon"... That logic doesn't add up to me.

The officer has a deadly weapon, his gun. If I use a tazer on the cop, I then have access to his gun, or could otherwise kill him if I wanted to because he is incapacitated.

Am I wrong on that?
That is my thought as well. In all likelihood, the guy probably would have tazed them and ran away. But there was the chance he had more sinister plans and could have tazed them and taken their guns and killed them
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline  
Old 06-15-2020, 08:40 AM   #16
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,770
Default Re: Current Events Thread

I just feel like we are getting to the point where any black killing by a cop is going to be protested, even if it is justified.

And that is dangerous. That is what will lead to good cops calling it quits. This will just exasperate the problem as the only people that will want to be cops will be bad dudes that want the power.
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline  
Old 06-15-2020, 08:44 AM   #17
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,878
Default Re: Current Events Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
I just feel like we are getting to the point where any black killing by a cop is going to be protested, even if it is justified.

And that is dangerous. That is what will lead to good cops calling it quits. This will just exasperate the problem as the only people that will want to be cops will be bad dudes that want the power.

And when crime goes unabated they will be blamed. How lovely.
sheepdogs1 is offline  
Old 06-15-2020, 09:04 AM   #18
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,567
Default Re: Current Events Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
I just feel like we are getting to the point where any black killing by a cop is going to be protested, even if it is justified.

And that is dangerous. That is what will lead to good cops calling it quits. This will just exasperate the problem as the only people that will want to be cops will be bad dudes that want the power.
This. The reason(s) mentioned above are exactly why he had the right to shoot the guy. It's crazy. They want to protest and complain about EVERY case now. What they don't understand is that they aren't making things better. Things are about to get a lot worse, and that isn't good for anybody.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline  
Old 06-15-2020, 09:17 AM   #19
mict085
All-Conference
 
mict085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,779
Default Re: Current Events Thread

The chaz area is being run by criminal overlords. There are reports of rape and theft. The entire area has been vandalized and likely businesses will be dead and/or move out of the area, killing that area for decades. Itís a lord of the flies situation in there. Yet, the leaders of Seattle and the state of Washington continue to do nothing. Why are they not held accountable? Somehow, the trump haters will find a way to blame the president when itís the local officials who have failed miserably.

What do the dems have to say about this?
mict085 is offline  
Old 06-15-2020, 09:27 AM   #20
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 12,663
Default Re: Current Events Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post
I don't know why I am responding, but you have your bases covered on this one. And what has been your latest read (as in book)? Historical in nature I hope.
Yea, in a way... I am currently reading a book called "Plunder of the Commons" by Guy Standing, and it has some interesting history to set the stage for it. It starts with a history of an interesting piece of historical legislation called "The Charter of the Forest", which was signed along with the Magna Carta in 1217... I had honestly never heard of it, so it was interesting to read about that. I am only beginning the book, and I got a little side-tracked with doing more research on The Charter of the Forest outside the book, but it seems like it's going to be an interesting read so far.

For fun I also bought some DIY (do it yourself) solar energy books recently... I am actually going to try and build a small solar energy setup, starting with a light and then working my way up from there. We will see where that goes!
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES
thebigabd is offline  
Old 06-15-2020, 09:39 AM   #21
BCSooners
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 3,917
Default Re: Current Events Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
The chaz area is being run by criminal overlords. There are reports of rape and theft. The entire area has been vandalized and likely businesses will be dead and/or move out of the area, killing that area for decades. Itís a lord of the flies situation in there. Yet, the leaders of Seattle and the state of Washington continue to do nothing. Why are they not held accountable? Somehow, the trump haters will find a way to blame the president when itís the local officials who have failed miserably.

What do the dems have to say about this?
The main thing I want to know is why was he being arrested? When I know that Iíll have a more informed opinion. The guy stealing the taser was dumb & you could justify shooting him in the scuffle, but didnít they shoot him when he was running away?

I do have an issue with NYPD killing Deborah Danner. A crazy 66 year old lady with a baseball bat.
BCSooners is offline  
Old 06-15-2020, 09:40 AM   #22
steverocks35
Elite Eight
 
steverocks35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,629
Default Re: Current Events Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
The main thing I want to know is why was he being arrested? When I know that I’ll have a more informed opinion. The guy stealing the taser was dumb & you could justify shooting him in the scuffle, but didn’t they shoot him when he was running away?

I do have an issue with NYPD killing Deborah Danner. A crazy 66 year old lady with a baseball bat.
I think he's asking what do the Dems say about the "chaz area" because that's really important to him for some reason.
steverocks35 is offline  
Old 06-15-2020, 10:06 AM   #23
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 12,663
Default Re: Current Events Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
The chaz area is being run by criminal overlords. There are reports of rape and theft. The entire area has been vandalized and likely businesses will be dead and/or move out of the area, killing that area for decades. Itís a lord of the flies situation in there. Yet, the leaders of Seattle and the state of Washington continue to do nothing. Why are they not held accountable? Somehow, the trump haters will find a way to blame the president when itís the local officials who have failed miserably.

What do the dems have to say about this?
I guess I don't understand why this is a political party issue.... Local officials and local police have their plan for it, and people are welcome to agree or disagree with that.

Trump has threatened to send in the military, which he is able to do I guess.... Sounds like your question is better posed to him instead of random members of the democratic party. He can either accept the local officials working on it, or he can send in the army or national guard and shut it down. It's his call.

As it relates to this situation, being a Democrat has as much to do with this issue as being a Christian, or having blonde hair... In that, it has nothing to do with it.
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES
thebigabd is offline  
Old 06-15-2020, 10:12 AM   #24
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,878
Default Re: Current Events Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
I guess I don't understand why this is a political party issue.... Local officials and local police have their plan for it, and people are welcome to agree or disagree with that.

Trump has threatened to send in the military, which he is able to do I guess.... Sounds like your question is better posed to him instead of random members of the democratic party. He can either accept the local officials working on it, or he can send in the army or national guard and shut it down. It's his call.

As it relates to this situation, being a Democrat has as much to do with this issue as being a Christian, or having blonde hair... In that, it has nothing to do with it.
Which of the two political parties supports Antifa more than the other? Which party has not opposed Chaz (Bono)?
sheepdogs1 is offline  
Old 06-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #25
steverocks35
Elite Eight
 
steverocks35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,629
Default Re: Current Events Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post
Which of the two political parties supports Antifa more than the other? Which party has not opposed Chaz (Bono)?
Antifa???? HAHAHAHA!
steverocks35 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com