ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2019, 01:30 PM   #26
Soonerbay
Role Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 917
Default Re: New assistant coach announced! Coquese Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTraveler View Post
Apples and Oranges. Mike Stoops did not win multiple Big-10 Conference regular season championships (for Mike it would have been PAC football). Nor was he chosen to the "Presidential Search and Screen Committee" at a major university (Penn State) to help determine the University's next President.

This is an assistant coaching job. Whether she stays 1 season or more, Coquese Washington seems like a wonderful hire as an Assistant Coach. Plus, there is still another assistant job to fill. (A good thing at this point.)

Ultimately, it is 100% on Sherri Coale to make the Sooners competitive once again in the Big-12 conference. If Sherri is actually looking for help, and I think she is, then Coquese Washington looks like a good choice to me. I cannot believe that Sherri will not listen closely to any input that Coach Washington brings to the program.

Like it or not, Sherri is still the head coach. This seems like a good hire, whether you are a critic or an admirer. Of course, time will tell.

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed.
Soonerbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:44 AM   #27
Stringmusic
Role Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Posts: 854
Default Re: New assistant coach announced! Coquese Washington

My fingers are crossed also - for the Washington hire and for #2 hire, whoever it may be. Washington has been captain of her own ship for quite a while, so I don't think she will be micro-managed - by Sherri or anyone else.
Stringmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:58 AM   #28
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16
 
Oliver Hardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,613
Default Re: New assistant coach announced! Coquese Washington

My hope (TODAY) is that the next coach is no older than 35, has recently had success at a major school as an assistant or is a top head coach at a juco or other small conference school. If they have a desire to move up to Sherri's spot if Coale gets to retirement time before getting fired, then fine.

IF an assistant is on staff and Sherri ultimately gets fired, none of her assistants at that time will be considered.

Last edited by Oliver Hardy; 04-21-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:35 PM   #29
sybarite
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,171
Default Re: New assistant coach announced! Coquese Washington

I don't really know what to think. I can remember looking at a Penn State game, and they seemed to be well-organized on offense. Had a good guard in Lucas. Don't remember a notable interior player.

But, she seems a lot like Sherri. I think if Sherri is going to recruit a big player, she might like for her coach to be someone like herself. Let's see. Big Ten coach of the year three times, national black women's coach of the year. An attorney by education? Sounds like someone a player can use as a role model.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:14 PM   #30
Soonerguy06
Role Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 581
Default Re: New assistant coach announced! Coquese Washington

Role model or not, I just hope she can produce some 'Ws' . In my opinion they don't have to want to become her as a person just as long as they respect her and can play well for her. I think SC gets hung up too much on off the court stuff and it's taking away from what happens on the court, obviously. Case in point probably Kim Mulkey and her players. for the majority, I bet her players kind of laughs at her and think she is a goofy old white lady, but respect her and her basketball IQ.
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:54 PM   #31
Mac
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: bay area ca
Posts: 3,521
Default Re: New assistant coach announced! Coquese Washington

I wonder if any of the 2019 Penn St players will weigh there options now that Washington isn’t there anymore... Anna Camden is a 6’3 forward they signed, she’s from the area, and being close to home was one of the reasons she picked Penn St. But she also said her major, coaches she can trust, and playing for a big time basketball program were factors in her decision. She’s has a nice skill set, and is tall, maybe Sherri or Coquese could see if she would be interested in OU.
__________________
“The area you recruit from often has to do with the level your program has reached,” said Auriemma
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:48 AM   #32
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 4,338
Default Re: New assistant coach announced! Coquese Washington

Coquese Washington was terminated at Penn State over a month ago. I can find no information indicating any Penn State WBB player has entered the transfer portal. I don't think by rule Washington can contact any former player of hers until they enter their name in the transfer portal. It would appear at this time that the Penn State players are all staying home.
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:07 AM   #33
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16
 
Oliver Hardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,613
Default Re: New assistant coach announced! Coquese Washington

Penn State isn't exactly a juggernaut, so I'm not sure we SHOULD be interested in any of their players.

Question:

Is football season over yet, because I want to watch some women's college basketball.

Impatient? Oh, yes I am!
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:15 AM   #34
Mac
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: bay area ca
Posts: 3,521
Default Re: New assistant coach announced! Coquese Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Hardy View Post
Penn State isn't exactly a juggernaut, so I'm not sure we SHOULD be interested in any of their players.

Question:

Is football season over yet, because I want to watch some women's college basketball.

Impatient? Oh, yes I am!
While I can see that, if you look up the player I mentioned she looks like she could be a starter on this OU team...
__________________
“The area you recruit from often has to do with the level your program has reached,” said Auriemma
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:14 PM   #35
keysersose
Walk-on
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 74
Default Re: New assistant coach announced! Coquese Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
Coquese Washington was terminated at Penn State over a month ago. I can find no information indicating any Penn State WBB player has entered the transfer portal. I don't think by rule Washington can contact any former player of hers until they enter their name in the transfer portal. It would appear at this time that the Penn State players are all staying home.
https://wbbblog.com/2019/04/01/trans...ws-april-2019/
keysersose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:51 PM   #36
BlackwellSooner
Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,411
Default Re: New assistant coach announced! Coquese Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTraveler View Post
Apples and Oranges. Mike Stoops did not win multiple Big-10 Conference regular season championships (for Mike it would have been PAC football). Nor was he chosen to the "Presidential Search and Screen Committee" at a major university (Penn State) to help determine the University's next President.

This is an assistant coaching job. Whether she stays 1 season or more, Coquese Washington seems like a wonderful hire as an Assistant Coach. Plus, there is still another assistant job to fill. (A good thing at this point.)

Ultimately, it is 100% on Sherri Coale to make the Sooners competitive once again in the Big-12 conference. If Sherri is actually looking for help, and I think she is, then Coquese Washington looks like a good choice to me. I cannot believe that Sherri will not listen closely to any input that Coach Washington brings to the program.

Like it or not, Sherri is still the head coach. This seems like a good hire, whether you are a critic or an admirer. Of course, time will tell.


According to SoonerSports.com, she is listed as an ASSOCIATE Head Coach.

So, she has the title, FWIW.
BlackwellSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:06 PM   #37
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16
 
Oliver Hardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,613
Default Re: New assistant coach announced! Coquese Washington

Mac, I don't know how old you are, but I'm nearly 66, with fake knees and a spine full of arthritis and I think you and I both could start for this team! (Not to mention I'm fat -- and I mean fat) and I can't run three feet without coughing up blood.

My point being, outside of Ana, Williams, Robertson and Mercer, the rest aren't much to write home about -- and I don't think Mercer would make the cut for most teams and Robertson would only because she's one of the best damn shooters behind the arc that I've ever seen.

Last edited by Oliver Hardy; 04-24-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:52 PM   #38
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 4,338
Default Re: New assistant coach announced! Coquese Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Hardy View Post
Mac, I don't know how old you are, but I'm nearly 66, with fake knees and a spine full of arthritis and I think you and I both could start for this team! (Not to mention I'm fat -- and I mean fat) and I can't run three feet without coughing up blood.

My point being, outside of Ana, Williams, Robertson and Mercer, the rest aren't much to write home about -- and I don't think Mercer would make the cut for most teams and Robertson would only because she's one of the best damn shooters behind the arc that I've ever seen.

I think not. Women's basketball no longer plays half court 6 on 6 basketball like they did when you could still get on a court.
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:00 AM   #39
SoonerTraveler
Final Four
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,633
Default Re: New assistant coach announced! Coquese Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackwellSooner View Post
According to SoonerSports.com, she is listed as an ASSOCIATE Head Coach.

So, she has the title, FWIW.
This should be good news to most of us, as this means that Colton is not the number 1 assistant, at least on paper.

In any event, I like the hire. Coquese Washington has great experience. My guess is that she is really excited about a new opportunity at a well known program halfway across the country.

None of us can predict what results these new hires will bring to Oklahoma, but I think these experienced coaches improve the odds for significant improvement in the coming years.

Listening to Sherri Coale on the radio right now (AM-1400), she is clearly excited about both new hires, and she says that both of the new assistants are very excited about helping OU win championships. Sherri sounds like these new hires have recharged her batteries.

__________________
OU Baseball: 1951 & 1994 National Champions / 10 NCAA College World Series Appearances
SoonerTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:06 AM   #40
sooner8693
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 304
Default Re: New assistant coach announced! Coquese Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTraveler View Post
This should be good news to most of us, as this means that Colton is not the number 1 assistant, at least on paper.

In any event, I like the hire. Coquese Washington has great experience. My guess is that she is really excited about a new opportunity at a well known program halfway across the country.

None of us can predict what results these new hires will bring to Oklahoma, but I think these experienced coaches improve the odds for significant improvement in the coming years.

Listening to Sherri Coale on the radio right now (AM-1400), she is clearly excited about both new hires, and she says that both of the new assistants are very excited about helping OU win championships. Sherri sounds like these new hires have recharged her batteries.

Talk is cheap.
sooner8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:19 AM   #41
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 4,338
Default Re: New assistant coach announced! Coquese Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner8693 View Post
Talk is cheap.
And patience is a virtue. Let things have time to happen with the new staff. They need our support.
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:24 AM   #42
sooner8693
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 304
Default Re: New assistant coach announced! Coquese Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
And patience is a virtue. Let things have time to happen with the new staff. They need our support.
Very true.
sooner8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com