ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 03-12-2018, 05:20 PM   #1
TheMont
Role Player

Default Sooners are IN!!!!

A rematch with DePaul. Very interesting.
TheMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:22 PM   #2
Rbeam1
Walk-on

Default Re: Sooners are IN!!!!

I like our chances. We lost in OT early in the season.
Rbeam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:22 PM   #3
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMont View Post
A rematch with DePaul. Very interesting.
That is interesting.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:24 PM   #4
sybarite
National Champion

Wasn't it double OT?

Texas A&M: West Virginia beat them by fifteen in College Station. We could make the Sweet Sixteen!!
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:27 PM   #5
TheMont
Role Player

The first game was our second game of the year. Ana wasn’t Ana yet.
TheMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:28 PM   #6
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMont View Post
The first game was our second game of the year. Ana wasn’t Ana yet.
Pellington had a good game, though.

http://www.soonersports.com/pdf9/546...B_OEM_ID=31000

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:49 PM   #7
sybarite
National Champion

I'm glad that Gabi and Vivi didn't end their careers on the TCU game.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:49 PM   #8
Soonerguy06
Walk-on

I definitely think we can win this first game!! If we play well. And I don't know much about TAMU, but they can't be better than UT, so at least they are on TCU or WVU's level and those were interesting, close games. If we play well both games I also think we can make the Sweet Sixteen. This is where those hard pre-conference games will help us. It's just a matter of which seniors will show up to play on Friday (I think that's when we play first), and then again the next game. Fingers crossed!!
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:49 PM   #9
Sooners4Life0101
Role Player

We are in a great spot as well, imo.

DePaul we should have beat before Shania and Ana knew how to play basketball. Shania still ringing in 20+

Then go over A&Ms schedule, they didn't beat ANYBODY! Got beat by WV by 15.

Hope the girls can stick to it Creme who's now blasting us on ESPN saying we shouldn't of got in.
Sooners4Life0101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:57 PM   #10
61sooner
Walk-on

Women showed some grit towards seasons' end, something missing with the men's team
Win or lose, CONGRATS.
61sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:33 PM   #11
Mac
Administrator

Before anyone starts to think about meeting with Texas A&M, I think they would be a bad match up for us... Hillsman the same size as VIVI and I don’t think we’ll have anyone who can guard Carter... while she can shoot her team out of games she will arguably be the best player on the court and could have a career night vs OU.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:09 PM   #12
sybarite
National Champion

West Virginia 70
Texas A&M 56
in College Station

We beat WV twice.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:49 PM   #13
SKSooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
West Virginia 70
Texas A&M 56
in College Station

We beat WV twice.
It will come down to how our seniors play. If Maddie, Gabbi, and Vivi are on, we can beat a lot of teams. If they disappear, it can get ugly very fast. They’ve been inconsistent this year, but if they somehow got consistent for a couple games, we have a chance. It’s a big IF, but this team is capable.
SKSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:09 PM   #14
Mac
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
West Virginia 70
Texas A&M 56
in College Station

We beat WV twice.
You really can’t go by that Texas A&M beat both UARL Florida and TCU all teams OU couldn’t beat...
Old 03-12-2018, 09:15 PM   #15
sybarite
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
You really can’t go by that Texas A&M beat both UARL Florida and TCU all teams OU couldn’t beat...
All of the A&M games that you mentioned were in College Station. OU beat TCU in Norman. A&M beat Florida in College Station while they beat us in Norman---this is the only way they have an advantage over OU. They lose by not beating, at home, someone that OU swept.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:16 PM   #16
Sooners4Life0101
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Before anyone starts to think about meeting with Texas A&M, I think they would be a bad match up for us... Hillsman the same size as VIVI and I don’t think we’ll have anyone who can guard Carter... while she can shoot her team out of games she will arguably be the best player on the court and could have a career night vs OU.
I think well have some pretty good covers for Carter. Shania Ana and Maddie will all get a crack at her. That will be a really good game, I think we are just as good as A and M, if not a little better. But that will be at College Station. The good news is, we don't play Uconn- We don't play Kentucky @ Kentucky. We don't play Kelsey Plum going for 40. For a 12 seed, you gotta love our matchups.

But Depaul will keep our hands full. They played Notre Dame tough and they have won a lot of games, scoring 98 last time out. We know they can get way hot.

But also-- Depaul played Notre Dame tough. (See ya round 3?) Lets get the first one, first.
Sooners4Life0101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:21 PM   #17
euphguy
Starter

I don't think they should've gotten in, based on their record relative to other teams. SOS is huge (which is likely the biggest factor in their selection), but part of it has to be OU's streak of consecutive NCAA appearances and Sherri Coale. Rutgers is ticked, and rightfully so.

I have a feeling nothing will change as a result of this small victory, but I do hope they'll compete in the tourney to prove they were worthy of a spot.
euphguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:07 AM   #18
TulsaWorld
Walk-on

Congrats. Sorry I don't post here more often. Hopefully a successful postseason will lead to more visits.

From the Tulsa World today...

Quote:
OU was among the final eight teams considered for four spots, according to an NCAA release on Sunday.

“Having these last 24 hours, the way everything kind of shook out with the committee and being in this predicament has reminded us of what a difficult thing it is to get into the NCAA Tournament and what a special thing it is to be in that field,” OU coach Sherri Coale said. “There is a lot of gratitude. There is also a lot of fight in that room tonight because we feel like we earned a position in the NCAA Tournament. Now it is up to us to play that way.”

OU has a recent history with the Blue Demons. The visiting Sooners lost 111-108 in overtime to DePaul in the second game of this season. The teams also met in the first round of the 2014 NCAA Tournament, where DePaul captured a 104-100 victory.

The OU-DePaul survivor will face the winner between No. 4 Texas A&M and No. 13 Drake in a Sunday second-round contest.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:15 AM   #19
Big12
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphguy View Post
I don't think they should've gotten in, based on their record relative to other teams. SOS is huge (which is likely the biggest factor in their selection), but part of it has to be OU's streak of consecutive NCAA appearances and Sherri Coale. Rutgers is ticked, and rightfully so.

I have a feeling nothing will change as a result of this small victory, but I do hope they'll compete in the tourney to prove they were worthy of a spot.
The selection committee used SOS as a means of preventing Baylor from being a one-seed, so as Kim Mulkey suggested, it had to honor OU's SOS. Apparently, OU has the worst overall record of any team selected since 2005. These two (possible) games against DePaul and TAMU will be OU's chance to show they deserved to be included.
Big12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:45 AM   #20
soonerstar
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphguy View Post

+1
soonerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:50 AM   #21
swok34
Walk-on

OU has had trouble with Texas A & M teams in the past and the kind of defense they play. I haven't seen them play this year but the master coach of defense when TAMU was in the Big 12 is head coach of Miss. State now.
swok34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:20 AM   #22
OUDallas66
Walk-on

We have received a participation award, now lets make the most of it.

The Aggies will not be nice, go Sooners!
OUDallas66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:18 PM   #23
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by swok34 View Post
OU has had trouble with Texas A & M teams in the past and the kind of defense they play. I haven't seen them play this year but the master coach of defense when TAMU was in the Big 12 is head coach of Miss. State now.
The aTm defense (67.3 p.g) is definitely not on par with the MSU defense in 2018. Moreover in their head to head match-ups MSU won 76-55 and 70-55 and MSU is surrendering only 55.7 p/g for the season while scoring on average 82 p/g which is 5 points more than aTm averages.

http://12thman.com/documents/2017/11...B_Combined.pdf

https://static.hailstate.com/customp...ats_201718.pdf
Old 03-13-2018, 01:53 PM   #24
sybarite
National Champion

So. Creme and Rutgers think Rutgers should be in.

Vivian Stringer is a Hall of Fame coach who is highly-respected by her peers, just as is Sherri. That can't be it.

Rutgers did have the highest rpi of any team that didn't get into the tournament, but they were five slots behind OU, about seventeen according to Sagarin (26 vs 43). Systems which relied upon numbers tended to go with OU.

Rutgers did have a better record than OU, 20-12 vs 16-14. Let's see how that was compiled.

Games against top two seeds:
OU 6
Rutgers 1 South Carolina

So, if Rutgers had played six games against the two top seeds, their record would have been 15-17? At least, we should remove the five extra losses from OU since Rutgers didn't play them: so, OU 16-9?

OU lost to Florida in Norman. Well, Rutgers lost to Washington State (10-20, 3-15) at FloHoops, a neutral site tournament over Thanksgiving.

With Rutgers, you get a team that stayed at home a lot, played a little softer schedule, and they don't have any more of a "wow" win than does OU. They beat NC State. We beat South Florida. What their non-conference schedule also lacked was a win over Belmont, or a Colorado State or someone decent, or games that they lost against good teams like UALR or South Dakota State on the road. The schedule brings up a lot of blah.

As much as anything, the NCAA might have thought it might be fun to pair DePaul and OU again. They tend to score against each other.

If Creme and Rutgers want to complain, they might ask why Oregon State, Virginia (I think they beat UV), Buffalo, or Minnesota is in the tournament.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:37 PM   #25
tycat947
Elite Eight

Creme is just po’d because he didn’t get all his picks. He’s not on the committee and should just shut up, along with Lunardi.
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Some people think being negative makes them sound like an expert.
tycat947 is offline   Reply With Quote