ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 03-11-2018, 07:11 PM   #1
OUHoops
Administrator

Default NCAA First Round: Oklahoma [18-13] vs. Rhode Island [25-7] Game Thread

Pregame Notes: http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=211705910

Tip: Thursday [11:15 AM CST]
Station: CBS
Announcers: Kevin Harlan, Reggie Miller, Dan Bonner and Dana Jacobson.

OUHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:11 PM   #2
WTSooner
National Champion

Default Re: NCAA First Round: Oklahoma [18-3] vs. Rhode Island [25-7] Game Thread

lol, what a weird reaction.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:31 PM   #3
TheGimper
Starter

Default Re: NCAA First Round: Oklahoma [18-3] vs. Rhode Island [25-7] Game Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
They used a weird frame. Here’s a link to the reaction video:
http://kfor.com/2018/03/11/sooners-g...boys-left-out/

Edit:Never mind. It’s the same thing. On my device it just showed it as a still frame.
TheGimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:47 PM   #4
soonerbms
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUHoops View Post

Ton of credit for that goes to Kelvin Sampson. He was the model of consistency here. The one year he missed the tournament, 2004, still ended up being a 20 win season.
soonerbms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:56 PM   #5
sperry
All-Conference

We are the first game of the tournament (ignoring play-ins, of course). That's gotta be one of the biggest ratings games of the tourney.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:59 PM   #6
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
From what I read, getting to the NCAA Tournament was very important to his Dad because he never did. I'm guessing that's what he was thinking about.

Those don't look like young men who don't care.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:22 PM   #7
coolm
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
Those don't look like young men who don't care.
I hope you're right. I genuinely hope they get out there and leave it all on the floor. If they do I think they have a good chance against about anyone in the field. They could beat Duke if they gave it their all.
coolm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:29 PM   #8
opsooner
Elite Eight

I would feel a lot better if we really were 18-3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
opsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:40 PM   #9
Jccouger
Walk-on

Probably ready too much in to this, but weird that nobody really looked to celebrate with TY.
Jccouger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:40 PM   #10
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGimper View Post
They used a weird frame. Here’s a link to the reaction video:
http://kfor.com/2018/03/11/sooners-g...boys-left-out/

Edit:Never mind. It’s the same thing. On my device it just showed it as a still frame.
The video showed a perfectly normal reaction from a group of kids who are genuinely excited To learn OU is in the dance. Trae didn’t stand up and cheer right away, but it seemed obvious to me he shared in their excitement.

Reading anything else in that short clip would be a stretch at best.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:51 PM   #11
Northbase
Role Player

Agree. Trae seems to be very grateful. IMO
Northbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:54 PM   #12
sheepdogs1
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbase View Post
Agree. Trae seems to be very grateful. IMO
He probably feels he shoulders a lot of the responsibility for the team thus his reaction should be viewed somewhat differently than some of the other players.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:15 PM   #13
mict085
Role Player

New season. Records donít matter. The last 2 months donít matter. Can we take advantage of this? Play hard. Play together. Give 100% effort and donít take anything for granted.

Rebound.
Shot selection.
Effort on defense.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:35 PM   #14
sheepdogs1
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
New season. Records donít matter. The last 2 months donít matter. Can we take advantage of this? Play hard. Play together. Give 100% effort and donít take anything for granted.

Rebound.
Shot selection.
Effort on defense.
And battle for loose balls.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:59 PM   #15
SoonerTraveler
Elite Eight

Default Re: NCAA First Round: Oklahoma [18-13] vs. Rhode Island [25-7] Game Thread

From SoonerSports.com ...

Let's Dance
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArti...211705432&KEY=

NCAA Selection Press Conference
http://www.soonersports.com/mediaPor...000&id=6252491

NCAA Bracket
https://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bra...B_OEM_ID=31000

Rams vs. Sooners / Match-up Analysis
https://bracketchallenge.ncaa.com/matchup-breakdown/231

Last edited by SoonerTraveler; 03-12-2018 at 12:01 AM.
SoonerTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:46 AM   #16
red recluse
Starter

Default Re: NCAA First Round: Oklahoma [18-13] vs. Rhode Island [25-7] Game Thread

interesting that we play the team that some thought knocked us out by losing. just my quick take from what i remember watching today...matthews is going to light us up if someone doesnít stick on him, dowtin sorta reminds me hollis, and berryís size could get us into early foul trouble inside. but i donít know how much they throw it into the post. looking forward to the letís hire hurley posts if we lose.

what are everyone elseís thoughts?

and not cool of the committee for putting wvu and tech in the same region.
red recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:40 AM   #17
NY Soonerfan
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by red recluse View Post
interesting that we play the team that some thought knocked us out by losing. just my quick take from what i remember watching today...matthews is going to light us up if someone doesnít stick on him, dowtin sorta reminds me hollis, and berryís size could get us into early foul trouble inside. but i donít know how much they throw it into the post. looking forward to the letís hire hurley posts if we lose.

what are everyone elseís thoughts?

and not cool of the committee for putting wvu and tech in the same region.
There are seven B12 teams in the tournament, it's impossible not to have someone in the same region. Plus, they can't even play until the regional final, so it's pretty much meaningless. If you want to be technical, it's a lot worse putting us and TCU in the same sub-region, since we could play after just two games.

Agree with completely your assessment of URI. The one thing I'll add is they play for a coach with literally exudes passion, toughness and intensity every second of the day, which is in stark contrast to our coach and, as we sadly all know, our team. It's kind of sad I even have to say this, but we better be ready come 12:15 Thursday afternoon, b/c URI is going to wake up ready to run through a brick wall. We HAVE to bring it.
NY Soonerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:42 AM   #18
NY Soonerfan
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jccouger View Post
Probably ready too much in to this, but weird that nobody really looked to celebrate with TY.
I know everyone likes to celebrate in their own way, and Trae clearly did that and it obviously meant a lot to him, you could definitely tell...but yeah, I'd be lying if your exact thought didn't strike me one second after I watched the video for the first time.
NY Soonerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:06 AM   #19
TulsaWorld
Walk-on

Wow, already a game thread going! I'll just share today's Tulsa World content here...

Quote:
In one instant, the highs of December and the lows of February all ceased to matter. That interlocking crimson OU logo popped up on the screen. And as most of the Sooners leaped in celebration, Young stayed in his chair and let the emotion hit. He flexed his arms and clenched his fists. His hands started to shake, and finally he stood.

Christian James came over for a high five and yelled the only words that counted.

We going dancing.
Link

Despite what Charles Barkley says, here's reasons why OU will win an NCAA Tournament game...
Quote:
Trae Young

For all OU’s flaws, Trae Young is still a singular talent every bit capable of willing his team to victory. Young still leads the country in points and assists, and given his intense reaction Sunday, don’t be surprised if he’s at his best in March.

OU is due

Kameron McGusty talked about this before the Big 12 tournament. Even in OU’s recent victories against Iowa State and Kansas State, the Sooners weren’t firing on all cylinders. This team won early-season games against good competition for a reason, and if Brady Manek, Christian James, McGusty and others can all get on the same page for one night, OU is as good as anyone.

Lon Kruger

This season has been an odd coaching job for Lon Kruger, but OU’s head coach is also heading to his 18th NCAA Tournament. Kruger knows all about March and how to prepare. Perhaps he even has a few tricks left in the bag that could propel the Sooners to a win.
A preview of Rhode Island...

Quote:
Rhode Island breezed through most of conference play and played a challenging nonconference schedule. Rhode Island lost notable games to Nevada (88-81), No. 1 Virginia (70-55) and Alabama (68-64), but also earned a win over No. 20 Seton Hall (75-74), and only two of the Rams’ seven losses came by double digits. Rhode Island went cold down the stretch, losing three of its final five games, including the Atlantic-10 tournament championship game against Davidson.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:48 PM   #20
AdaSooner
Administrator

TW, thanks for your contribution to this thread and to the board the past few weeks! You and your columns in the Tulsa World have been a nice addition.

Much appreciated!!!
Old 03-12-2018, 02:01 PM   #21
TulsaWorld
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
TW, thanks for your contribution to this thread and to the board the past few weeks! You and your columns in the Tulsa World have been a nice addition.

Much appreciated!!!
Thanks. If I ever break board etiquette, please let me know.

I would also request as a courtesy to Tulsa World and other media that if content is shared from elsewhere that only partial articles (4-5 paragraphs) be posted and then link to the source, not only because media loves clicls, but also so that your site gets credit as being one of the premiere places for OU basketball fans to get information.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:39 PM   #22
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaWorld View Post
Thanks. If I ever break board etiquette, please let me know.

I would also request as a courtesy to Tulsa World and other media that if content is shared from elsewhere that only partial articles (4-5 paragraphs) be posted and then link to the source, not only because media loves clicls, but also so that your site gets credit as being one of the premiere places for OU basketball fans to get information.
TW, I think the regulars here will respect what I see as a reasonable request to protect the content of the articles you post here. Since we have a number of members who drop by from time to time, not to mention fans from other schools, I canít speak for everyone.

Still, I donít believe that will be a problem. If Iím wrong, please donít hesitate to let me know via a PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:27 PM   #23
DenverSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Soonerfan View Post
There are seven B12 teams in the tournament, it's impossible not to have someone in the same region. Plus, they can't even play until the regional final, so it's pretty much meaningless. If you want to be technical, it's a lot worse putting us and TCU in the same sub-region, since we could play after just two games.

Agree with completely your assessment of URI. The one thing I'll add is they play for a coach with literally exudes passion, toughness and intensity every second of the day, which is in stark contrast to our coach and, as we sadly all know, our team. It's kind of sad I even have to say this, but we better be ready come 12:15 Thursday afternoon, b/c URI is going to wake up ready to run through a brick wall. We HAVE to bring it.
You can criticize Krugerís style all you want but to suggest he is not passionate, tough and intense is silly. Lon Kruger is one the best and most competitive athletes in the history of college sports. He was drafted in multiple sports. The guy is a fierce competitor but he does it in a mild mannered way
DenverSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:44 PM   #24
WichitaSooner
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSooner View Post
You can criticize Krugerís style all you want but to suggest he is not passionate, tough and intense is silly. Lon Kruger is one the best and most competitive athletes in the history of college sports. He was drafted in multiple sports. The guy is a fierce competitor but he does it in a mild mannered way
Exactly. There are tons of great athletes and coaches who rarely showed anger or emotion. I wouldn't be able to coach that way, but you don't have to stalk the sideline like an idiot (Gregg Marshall, Bruce Weber, Hurley brothers, etc.) in order to be intense and competitive.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:44 PM   #25
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Exactly. There are tons of great athletes and coaches who rarely showed anger or emotion. I wouldn't be able to coach that way, but you don't have to stalk the sideline like an idiot (Gregg Marshall, Bruce Weber, Hurley brothers, etc.) in order to be intense and competitive.
The greatest coach in college basketball history agrees with you:

ďIntensity makes you stronger. Emotionalism makes you weaker.Ē
ó John Wooden

Wooden even wrote a book on the topic. I donít think itís a stretch to assume Lon Kruger read his book. He is more Wooden-like on the sideline than anyone else I can think of.

Having said all of that, I wouldnít mind if Lon threw a foot-stomping, hissy fit every now and then. It may not make him a better coach, but it would make me feel better.