ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings NET bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2022, 12:15 PM   #1
NAIA All-Star
Sweet 16
 
NAIA All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 3,858
Default Joe Bam gets his waiver

about time

NAIA All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:17 PM   #2
BCSooners
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,596
Default Re: Joe Bam gets his waiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIA All-Star View Post
about time

Expected but still great news!
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:24 PM   #3
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 7,499
Default Re: Joe Bam gets his waiver

and boom OU is set
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:30 PM   #4
NAIA All-Star
Sweet 16
 
NAIA All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 3,858
Default Re: Joe Bam gets his waiver



not Bamisile-related but...



Getting excited for the season.
NAIA All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:08 PM   #5
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,219
Default Re: Joe Bam gets his waiver

dumb
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:09 PM   #6
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 7,499
Default Re: Joe Bam gets his waiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
dumb
what is?
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:19 PM   #7
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 15,887
Default Re: Joe Bam gets his waiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIA All-Star View Post


not Bamisile-related but...



Getting excited for the season.
Me too!

This is a very deep team. I think Rothstein’s backcourt starting five is a nice upgrade over last year’s team, with at least two players coming off of the bench who have the potential to start at some point. If our bigs can at least hold their own against most teams, this could be an exciting year.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 03:21 PM   #8
NAIA All-Star
Sweet 16
 
NAIA All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 3,858
Default Re: Joe Bam gets his waiver

NAIA All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:05 AM   #9
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,219
Default Re: Joe Bam gets his waiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
what is?
That he got a waiver
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:09 AM   #10
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,650
Default Re: Joe Bam gets his waiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
what is?
The truly dumb thing is all the people upset about this kid and others being allowed to play college basketball without sitting out a year due to old rules.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:18 AM   #11
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 7,499
Default Re: Joe Bam gets his waiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
That he got a waiver
lol ok
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:42 AM   #12
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,219
Default Re: Joe Bam gets his waiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
The truly dumb thing is all the people upset about this kid and others being allowed to play college basketball without sitting out a year due to old rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
lol ok
Sorry, but just because I'm an OU fan doesn't mean I can't look at things objectively.

Without the "old rules" college basketball will go to sh!t. Atleast to me and almost everyone I talk to in real life. I'm not interested in a roster overhaul every year. Part of what makes college sports great is seeing a team built over several years and getting to know the players. I have no connection with the majority of our roster. What little advantage college bball had over the NBA is now gone. The unlimited transfers is a much bigger problem than NIL
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:37 AM   #13
BCSooners
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,596
Default Re: Joe Bam gets his waiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
Sorry, but just because I'm an OU fan doesn't mean I can't look at things objectively.

Without the "old rules" college basketball will go to sh!t. Atleast to me and almost everyone I talk to in real life. I'm not interested in a roster overhaul every year. Part of what makes college sports great is seeing a team built over several years and getting to know the players. I have no connection with the majority of our roster. What little advantage college bball had over the NBA is now gone. The unlimited transfers is a much bigger problem than NIL
It's looking like it will stay this way for a period of time. The NCAA pretty much said they'll let anyone transfer as many times as they want, once again showing their usefulness.

I think there will be another organization take over the NCAA within 10 years if things don't change.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:39 AM   #14
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,650
Default Re: Joe Bam gets his waiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
Sorry, but just because I'm an OU fan doesn't mean I can't look at things objectively.

Without the "old rules" college basketball will go to sh!t. Atleast to me and almost everyone I talk to in real life. I'm not interested in a roster overhaul every year. Part of what makes college sports great is seeing a team built over several years and getting to know the players. I have no connection with the majority of our roster. What little advantage college bball had over the NBA is now gone. The unlimited transfers is a much bigger problem than NIL
How can you claim to be objective when you have no idea what the circumstances are surrounding his waiver? Itís one of the most frustrating parts of society today; everyone thinks they are in position to judge things even when they have no knowledge of the relevant facts.

And unlimited transfers donít exist. Yep, lots of kids are getting waivers, but the reason waivers are required is because the rule currently only allows for one free transfer.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:42 AM   #15
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,219
Default Re: Joe Bam gets his waiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
How can you claim to be objective when you have no idea what the circumstances are surrounding his waiver? It’s one of the most frustrating parts of society today; everyone thinks they are in position to judge things even when they have no knowledge of the relevant facts.

And unlimited transfers don’t exist. Yep, lots of kids are getting waivers, but the reason waivers are required is because the rule currently only allows for one free transfer.
lol ok

I can claim to be objective because even though this is great for OU, it is bad for college basketball.
Feeling excited about this is just dirty to me because it's hypocritical to complain about the unlimited transfers but be happy when it benefits OU.
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:44 AM   #16
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,403
Default Re: Joe Bam gets his waiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
That he got a waiver
Agreed!
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:45 AM   #17
BCSooners
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,596
Default Re: Joe Bam gets his waiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
How can you claim to be objective when you have no idea what the circumstances are surrounding his waiver? Itís one of the most frustrating parts of society today; everyone thinks they are in position to judge things even when they have no knowledge of the relevant facts.

And unlimited transfers donít exist. Yep, lots of kids are getting waivers, but the reason waivers are required is because the rule currently only allows for one free transfer.
I'm excited Bam got his waiver, but unlimited transfers are happening. They have to fill out paperwork and some other stuff, but they are all getting approved.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:55 AM   #18
CoachTalk
National Champion
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,295
Default Re: Joe Bam gets his waiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
I'm excited Bam got his waiver, but unlimited transfers are happening. They have to fill out paperwork and some other stuff, but they are all getting approved.
Headed to HS soon... along with NIL.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:57 AM   #19
BCSooners
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,596
Default Re: Joe Bam gets his waiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Headed to HS soon... along with NIL.
OSSAA is just as useless. Show up with a lawyer & you'll get approved in oklahoma high school.

I've heard there's been some big moves (especially around Tulsa), but can't find anyone who knows who it is and where they're going.

Last edited by BCSooners; 08-18-2022 at 09:59 AM.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:07 AM   #20
CoachTalk
National Champion
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,295
Default Re: Joe Bam gets his waiver

ask. most have settled. Victory added union kid back, who is on his 4th school in 2 years. Owasso added rejoices best. Catoosa added a one at least.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:08 AM   #21
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,650
Default Re: Joe Bam gets his waiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
Sorry, but just because I'm an OU fan doesn't mean I can't look at things objectively.

Without the "old rules" college basketball will go to sh!t. Atleast to me and almost everyone I talk to in real life. I'm not interested in a roster overhaul every year. Part of what makes college sports great is seeing a team built over several years and getting to know the players. I have no connection with the majority of our roster. What little advantage college bball had over the NBA is now gone. The unlimited transfers is a much bigger problem than NIL
Did you cheer for the team and follow college sports back when OU and other schools relied heavily on JUCOs who were on campus for two years, max? How many of the guys on the 1988 team did you watch develop over several years? A couple JUCOs and a D-1 transfer in the starting five, and plenty of JUCOs on the bench. Somehow, we all managed to survive that affront to humanity.

I sure hope coaches are doing a better job than fans adapting to the new reality. And we will have five guys on this yearís squad who started or played significant roles last season. That makes for a nice mix with the handful of new guys who are likely to contribute.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:30 AM   #22
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,219
Default Re: Joe Bam gets his waiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Did you cheer for the team and follow college sports back when OU and other schools relied heavily on JUCOs who were on campus for two years, max? How many of the guys on the 1988 team did you watch develop over several years? A couple JUCOs and a D-1 transfer in the starting five, and plenty of JUCOs on the bench. Somehow, we all managed to survive that affront to humanity.

I sure hope coaches are doing a better job than fans adapting to the new reality. And we will have five guys on this yearís squad who started or played significant roles last season. That makes for a nice mix with the handful of new guys who are likely to contribute.
Seeing how I was born in 85....no, I don't recall watching the 1988 team.
I'm suring coaches are adapting fine...but that doesn't mean they like it any better than fans do. But it is their life and livelihood. I watch sports for enjoyment. And I don't find starting with a new roster every year enjoyable and I don't think it is good in the long run for the kids
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:45 AM   #23
skyvue
National Champion
 
skyvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 7,492
Default Re: Joe Bam gets his waiver

I'm not crazy about the new (barely) limited transfers, either, but as long as these are the rules, I can without hesitation celebrate an OU player getting the same consideration other program's players are receiving. There's nothing remotely hypocritical about it. You proceed according to the rules as they stand, even as you might hope those rules will change in the future.
__________________
ďWhen most people say they are being 'realistic,' they delude themselves; they are simply being negative.Ē
óDr. Norman Vincent Peale
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 11:16 AM   #24
CoachTalk
National Champion
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,295
Default Re: Joe Bam gets his waiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Agreed!
I'm shocked....
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 02:44 PM   #25
WaymanFan
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,386
Default Re: Joe Bam gets his waiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Did you cheer for the team and follow college sports back when OU and other schools relied heavily on JUCOs who were on campus for two years, max? How many of the guys on the 1988 team did you watch develop over several years? A couple JUCOs and a D-1 transfer in the starting five, and plenty of JUCOs on the bench. Somehow, we all managed to survive that affront to humanity.

I sure hope coaches are doing a better job than fans adapting to the new reality. And we will have five guys on this yearís squad who started or played significant roles last season. That makes for a nice mix with the handful of new guys who are likely to contribute.

I'm kind of torn here myself. Your comparison, though, is not applicable. I am old enough to remember those Billy Tubbs teams. For the most part, when we got a JUCO, we could count on him for two years. We didn't have to worry about him bolting for a better opportunity after one season. Even with all the JUCO players, we didn't have 7-8 new bodies every year. The 1988 team was the best OU team ever - and we got 4 JUCO top-10 players before the season...but it wasn't a new roster. 4 of the 5 starters on that team were on the 1987 team. I think that was SoonerBounce's point. We got to know about the players because they were there for 2,3, or 4 years.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com