ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings NET bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 08-06-2022, 06:34 PM   #51
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Default Re: Overseas games on TV

In case you missed it, I loved the video highlights of game #2!

https://soonersports.com/watch/?Arch...5&type=Archive P
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 07:18 PM   #52
pnkranger
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikboy View Post
In each article on Soonersports the first two games every player mentioned has been a newcomer. Bodes really well for this season I think. Sure wish we could have some boxes to analyze.
I think some of that is by design. Older guys know their roles and what is expected. Younger guys and newcomers are fighting for minutes and showing what they can do.

Moser did mention that he’s going to have a minutes problem because there are so many guys that can play. Solid 11 deep.

I expect Noland starts and Uzan plays 6th man to spell Noland and Sherfield. Cortes probably odd man out there. Godwin and Northweather are going to be really interesting. Wonder if either can crack the lineup this year.
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 07:43 PM   #53
Stikboy
All-American

When Jon Rothstein made the starting lineup prediction of Sherfield--Bam--Oweh--Hill--Groves, I thought it was crazy. But watching Oweh briefly and looking at his size and athleticism he seems to be a shoo--in to start or play major minutes. It looks like Los Uzan has been extremely impressive also and i'll bet he is the 6th man beating out both Noland and Cortes. I'll bet Noland gets good minutes, but watching Sherfield, Bam, and Oweh so far they look miles better than Noland, Cortes, and JGroves not only in talent but in length and athleticism.

PG--Sherfield
2--Bamisile
3--Oweh
4--Hill
5--TGroves

6th man--Uzan
Second guard--Noland
First big--Northweather
Spell Hill--JGroves

Think they have a minute problem now, wait till Schroeder gets back if he's as good as advertised. Only way I see Noland or JGroves starting is out of some kind of returner loyalty. See this is why we need the box scores HA.. Heck at this point i'd just be interested to know who started both games.
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 08:48 PM   #54
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16

This thread will be one worth revisiting in December or January when the competition ramps up and everyone is complaining that we have no depth and our bench sucks every time they have a rough game. Probably the most consistent annual trend on the board is people loving our depth in the summer and fall, then doing a 180 during the season.

I have no idea how many guys will be good enough to consistently contribute in conference play, but I am almost certain this will be the most athletic roster we have had in several years. The difference between the new guys in the backcourt and the guys who left is significant.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:11 PM   #55
NickZepp
National Champion

There's always more depth before real competition starts. You get the rotation down by at least halfway through the non-conference schedule. I do think we'll be a bit deeper at guard than we were last year. But you only can have so many guys rotate and play a role throughout the season.
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 05:52 AM   #56
WaymanFan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Probably the most consistent annual trend on the board is people loving our depth in the summer and fall, then doing a 180 during the season.
Yeah, we do get that a lot :-). Every year is going to threaten 1990 as the deepest team ever, and every year, we don't come close. Terrance Mullins was the 6th man as a freshman on OU's best team EVER, in 1988. Two years later, as a junior, he was often the 11th man. Now, THAT was depth. We'll likely never have a team deeper than that, but it's fun to think about before the season starts.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:38 AM   #57
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:55 AM   #58
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

So no boxscores?
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:52 AM   #59
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
So no boxscores?
not as of yet ..
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:53 AM   #60
Abe
Walk-on

Noticed Arkansas is broadcasting their games this week. https://247sports.com/college/arkans...ime-191123361/
It was in 247 sports Arkansas basketball.
Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:10 AM   #61
skyvue
National Champion

Joe C. and Co. really dropped the ball on this trip. Very disappointing. If they were going to send the people necessary to shoot and share the highlight videos and photo galleries, they could have streamed the games.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:27 AM   #62
pnkranger
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Joe C. and Co. really dropped the ball on this trip. Very disappointing. If they were going to send the people necessary to shoot and share the highlight videos and photo galleries, they could have streamed the games.
They could have easily streamed ... or recorded and replayed. They have the tape.

My guess is this was a strategic decision because Moser doesn't know what he has yet. Only 5 guys returning, lots of young ones. Probably a ton of ROUGH edges. Just giving the team a chance to gel without a lot of nitpicking and evaluation.
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:35 AM   #63
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkranger View Post
They could have easily streamed ... or recorded and replayed. They have the tape.

My guess is this was a strategic decision because Moser doesn't know what he has yet. Only 5 guys returning, lots of young ones. Probably a ton of ROUGH edges. Just giving the team a chance to gel without a lot of nitpicking and evaluation.
If that's the case, it is very disappointing. Every team has rough edges on these tours. Teams usually schedule these trips for seasons when they know they will have lots of newcomers, and use the extra practices as a chance to get a jump start on building chemistry. We wouldn't be any worse off than most the other teams playing abroad right now, and yet those programs are streaming games and/or providing box scores. Plus, if he worried about how the team will look, that seems misguided since only the diehards would watch.

I have no clue if Moser actually didn't want the games streamed, or if there is some other reason. Either way. it was not a good decision by whoever made it.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:39 AM   #64
Stikboy
All-American

I was wondering the same thing when Coachtalk or someone said they gave a BS excuse about wireless. I wondered if it was Moser. I don't get what they think they are hiding. Do they really believe the best opponents on the schedule won't have SCADs of tape on us by the time we play?

Smack in the middle of a sports-less summer, streaming the games and giving box scores might have gone further than going to frat houses, yelling, flexing your arms and such trying to get people to come to games that way. OU has a ton of new athletic exciting guys. Why not show them off?

Last edited by Stikboy; 08-09-2022 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:54 AM   #65
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Why not show them off?
I doubt OU really sees the benefit.

Which is what, a few die-hard fans don't cry about the games not being streamed for a few days? Not much of an incentive for OU, IMO.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:02 AM   #66
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post

Which is what, a few die-hard fans don't cry about the games not being streamed for a few days? Not much of an incentive for OU, IMO.
Providing your most loyal fans a chance to watch the team isn't an incentive? Interesting perspective.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:06 AM   #67
skyvue
National Champion

You don't grow a following for a team -- any team -- by playing games for which only highlights are available. The men's hoop squad could have had all the attention of Sooner fans. Of course, people are also focused on football, especially given the Gundy mess, but there are currently no OU games to watch. None. The basketball team could have had the stage all to itself.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:13 AM   #68
skyvue
National Champion

Quote:

Just imagine how you'd feel if the Houston Cougars were to play some games abroad and they were not streamed.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:15 AM   #69
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16

Quote:
Just imagine how you'd feel if the Houston Cougars were to play some games abroad and they were not streamed.
He would still see it because he would have his 24/7 Sampson live feed up.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:21 AM   #70
Stikboy
All-American

Quote:

I think OU has more basketball fans than you think. And would have even more if they didn't pull **** like this.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:33 AM   #71
skyvue
National Champion

The Twitter page has more than 582K followers. Imagine if they were streaming the game on that platform.

They finally deigned to give a score update on today's game, btw.: OU up, 19-11, after one quarter.
Old 08-09-2022, 12:15 PM   #72
skyvue
National Champion

Sooners lead at the half, 38-25. It would appear we're facing stiffer competition today.
Old 08-09-2022, 12:23 PM   #73
Stikboy
All-American

Not that i'm a huge transitive guy but Clemson beat them twice, once by 40 and the next day by 42.
Old 08-09-2022, 12:42 PM   #74
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Lame. For somebody that thinks of themselves as an intellectual, sometimes you post some really dumb stuff.
Old 08-09-2022, 12:57 PM   #75
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
I think OU has more basketball fans than you think. And would have even more if they didn't pull **** like this.
I just don't think it makes a difference.

I'm a pretty big OU basketball fan. I don't have much interest in watching us play a mid-day game, against HS-level competition, on what was likely to be a terrible feed/stream.

Would I have? I probably would have tried to watch some of it, sure. But those that have jobs that don't let them be glued to their phone/computer during the day? Those that are more casual fans? And again, what's the loss for OU? OU isn't LOSING fans by not streaming these games. All of ya'll that are mad, you are still going to watch the games next year. Go to the same number of games you'd have gone to before. And all of that jazz.

So I'll say it again, there really isn't much incentive for OU to find a way to broadcast these games.