ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 05-15-2018, 09:28 AM   #26
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Default Re: JUCO Negligence: The stage is set

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
I would like to point out that Maine has averaged about 9 wins per year over the past 20 seasons... They are a garbage program... and in Calixtes time there they won a total of 24 games in 4 years. That is 6 games per year.

They played Texas Tech this season... they lost by 40 and Calixte had 5 points in 25 minutes.

I would bet some money that Ricky Torres significantly outperforms him this year, and of course WSU will have him for 2 seasons. I mean, we will have to see how they perform on the court... but Calixte played for a horrendous team...

Torres is 6'3''... averaged 17 points and 8 assists per game... He shoots 44% from the 3pt line... He had 268 assists last season. That is a crazy number.

They'll go to Maine for a 5'10'' point guard on a 1 year rental but wont go 5 hours to Missouri for Ricky Torres... This is the same thing we were talking about in the other thread. They will go to 7600 miles to New Zealand for Matt Freeman but didnt throw the kitchen sink at Shakur Juiston who was 3 hours away...

You can't defend that... its pure lunacy.
Your whole flaw in all of this is that you have no idea if the staff did or didn't reach out to him or any of these jucos.. it's not like recruiting in a video game where if you put in the time, any recruit will like you and talk to you... some kids simply wont wanna even consider OU despite how much time you put into them..

Just because someone lives in the geographical area does not make that person 100% of the time likely to want to go to OU if our coaches send them a twitter message.

Spangler dunking on "the piece of crap"
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:00 AM   #27
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaustin View Post
Your whole flaw in all of this is that you have no idea if the staff did or didn't reach out to him or any of these jucos.. it's not like recruiting in a video game where if you put in the time, any recruit will like you and talk to you... some kids simply wont wanna even consider OU despite how much time you put into them..

Just because someone lives in the geographical area does not make that person 100% of the time likely to want to go to OU if our coaches send them a twitter message.
I wouldn't say it is a flaw... I would say it is a belief. If they wanted some of these guys they would have come on visits... These guys arent going to UNLV, TCU, ISU, Arkansas, Houston, etc because they think its way better than OU. They are going to these places because they were in on their recruiting longer. OU would easily be the best program targeting them, and they would jump on offers early. They did before, and they would do it again.

OU is a top 25 program... and the former coaching staffs had great relationships with local junior colleges. I have to believe that if OU jumps on these guys in the early signing period, with proper scouting and relationships, it should be a front-runner for many of them. Are you going to land 100%? No, that isn't realistic. But I would bet some money OU is the best program recruiting these area juco guys in the early period.

And.... you don't think proximity matters?

Taj Gray was 1 hour away in Oklahoma
Corey Brewer was 3 hours away at Carl Albert
Terrell Everett was 6 hours away in Missouri
Quannas White as 6 hours away in Texas
Nolan Johnson was 4.5 hours away in Texas
Mike Neal was 4 hours away in Texas
Ebi Ere was 4 hours away in Kansas
Kelley Newton was 4 hours away in Kansas

It's not a coincidence these guys are all right here... they still are.

Sampson found these guys.... and, over the past several years in the modern era... if Capel or Kruger had the scouting and relationships, that list of players who came and did great at OU could have included Loal Acuil, Shakur Juiston, Rob Gray, Vladimir Broadziasnky, Donovan Jackson, Corey Davis, Daryl Macon, and many others...

They were there... same as the guys who actually came to OU before Sampson left. Difference was, Sampson was signing these guys. He knew where they were. Lots of these guys didn't go on to the NBA.. but damn they were great college players at OU...They got on the court, they had an impact, they were double figure scores, etc... They weren't out of their league, they weren't unable to even get on the court like a lot of these guys Kruger and Capel brought in.

I actually just googled this a few minutes ago... pretty interesting from back in 2002... In this article he talks about this, he didn't intend for Oklahoma to get these guys or rely on them, but he had to... and just like Tubbs, he learned.... Its prime hunting ground. Arguably the two best coaches in the history of the program knew this... He is basically saying you can't have a high school dominant program at OU. He even wanted a 50-50 ratio.

Quote:
Sampson said he would prefer a 50-50 proposition with junior college transfers and high school recruits.

"I'd like a balance," Sampson said. "But this area is prime hunting ground for junior college players. For you to come in here and make this a high school-dominant program, you're missing out on a valuable resource.
http://newsok.com/article/2786353

Last edited by thebigabd; 05-15-2018 at 10:11 AM.
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:07 PM   #28
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Quote:
I wouldn't say it is a flaw... I would say it is a belief. If they wanted some of these guys they would have come on visits... These guys arent going to UNLV, TCU, ISU, Arkansas, Houston, etc because they think its way better than OU. They are going to these places because they were in on their recruiting longer. OU would easily be the best program targeting them, and they would jump on offers early. They did before, and they would do it again.

OU is a top 25 program... and the former coaching staffs had great relationships with local junior colleges. I have to believe that if OU jumps on these guys in the early signing period, with proper scouting and relationships, it should be a front-runner for many of them. Are you going to land 100%? No, that isn't realistic. But I would bet some money OU is the best program recruiting these area juco guys in the early period.

And.... you don't think proximity matters?

Taj Gray was 1 hour away in Oklahoma
Corey Brewer was 3 hours away at Carl Albert
Terrell Everett was 6 hours away in Missouri
Quannas White as 6 hours away in Texas
Nolan Johnson was 4.5 hours away in Texas
Mike Neal was 4 hours away in Texas
Ebi Ere was 4 hours away in Kansas
Kelley Newton was 4 hours away in Kansas

It's not a coincidence these guys are all right here... they still are.

Sampson found these guys.... and, over the past several years in the modern era... if Capel or Kruger had the scouting and relationships, that list of players who came and did great at OU could have included Loal Acuil, Shakur Juiston, Rob Gray, Vladimir Broadziasnky, Donovan Jackson, Corey Davis, Daryl Macon, and many others...

They were there... same as the guys who actually came to OU before Sampson left. Difference was, Sampson was signing these guys. He knew where they were. Lots of these guys didn't go on to the NBA.. but damn they were great college players at OU...They got on the court, they had an impact, they were double figure scores, etc... They weren't out of their league, they weren't unable to even get on the court like a lot of these guys Kruger and Capel brought in.

I actually just googled this a few minutes ago... pretty interesting from back in 2002... In this article he talks about this, he didn't intend for Oklahoma to get these guys or rely on them, but he had to... and just like Tubbs, he learned.... Its prime hunting ground. Arguably the two best coaches in the history of the program knew this... He is basically saying you can't have a high school dominant program at OU. He even wanted a 50-50 ratio.

http://newsok.com/article/2786353
Those were different times and Sampson had plenty of non contributors.. and I'm a waay bigger sampson guy then kruger. (I want kruger gone now.) But you're all argument is just hindsight. It's like when espn says who the Cleveland browns COULD have drafted.. who cares, they didn't.

You prolly were all pumped for omar leary too lol

Spangler dunking on "the piece of crap"
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:26 PM   #29
Ghost of Gar Heard
Walk-on

Quote:
I would like to point out that Maine has averaged about 9 wins per year over the past 20 seasons... They are a garbage program... and in Calixtes time there they won a total of 24 games in 4 years. That is 6 games per year.

They played Texas Tech this season... they lost by 40 and Calixte had 5 points in 25 minutes.

I would bet some money that Ricky Torres significantly outperforms him this year, and of course WSU will have him for 2 seasons. I mean, we will have to see how they perform on the court... but Calixte played for a horrendous team...

Torres is 6'3''... averaged 17 points and 8 assists per game... He shoots 44% from the 3pt line... He had 268 assists last season. That is a crazy number.

They'll go to Maine for a 5'10'' point guard on a 1 year rental but wont go 5 hours to Missouri for Ricky Torres... This is the same thing we were talking about in the other thread. They will go to 7600 miles to New Zealand for Matt Freeman but didnt throw the kitchen sink at Shakur Juiston who was 3 hours away...

Here's how to defend it. Calixte played D1 basketball and Torres didn't. You refuse to acknowledge this but JUCO basketball, for the most part today, is horrible. It's garbage. There are a few diamonds in the rough and maybe Torres is one of them, but Calixte has been playing against much better competition the last 2 years than Torres has. It's not close.

Oh, and that doesn't even count the fact that OU has a legitimately excellent PG coming to school in a year and may not have been able to recruit a 2 year PG (especially one who would need most of the season to adjust to D1 basketball) with him coming in.

You may not agree with the decision, as of course you won't since it involves OU passing on 1 of your JUCO gems, but a difference in opinion or philosophy doesn't necessarily make OU's coaches lunatics.

It's amazing to me how many OU (supposed) fans' 1st reaction is to condemn the coaches and their philosophy rather than attempting to see things objectively from their standpoint.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:19 PM   #30
colston15
Starter

Quote:

Your fascination with JUCO ball is lunacy. Once again, I'll take a guy who has proven he can play at the D-I level over one who has not.
colston15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:03 AM   #31
usedtobe1
Administrator

Calixte had offers from Florida State, Missouri, Gulf Coast, DePaul and Arizona among others. They saw something positive in him. Torres turned down offers from SMU, South Florida, Auburn, and Virginia Tech.

Take your pick.
usedtobe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:59 AM   #32
BCSooners
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by colston15 View Post
Your fascination with JUCO ball is lunacy. Once again, I'll take a guy who has proven he can play at the D-I level over one who has not.
Bingo. Plus OU already has a JUCO commit in Kuath, so to say OU never goes after JUCOs is wrong.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:31 AM   #33
BAsooner
Walk-on

Yikes... Iím sure Lon and staff watched these guys play as they do a lot of players . Iíve seen Lon at the state tournament (5A-6A ) a number of times but no offers to some of the kid she playing . So unless Abd knows more than Lon Iíll side with him on the evaluation.
BAsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:13 PM   #34
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Those were different times
Disagree. Still available. I can prove it year after year.

Quote:
Bad logic... thats like saying you shouldn't take high school players because they haven't proven themselves at the D1 level. If our D1 transfers were guys from the upper echelon, I'd speak differently. But average at best guys who are 22/23 years old from Maine and Pacific? Ehhhhh...

Quote:
Bingo. Plus OU already has a JUCO commit in Kuath, so to say OU never goes after JUCOs is wrong.
I applaud them for taking Kuath... OU typically takes jucos as a last resort and you end up with Lazenby, Leary, Nick Thompson, etc. Also, the Texas/Kansas/Iowa/Florida jucos are significantly better than anywhere else.

Quote:
Here's how to defend it. Calixte played D1 basketball and Torres didn't.
Bad logic, described above. Torres is 6'3'', a better shooter, a better athlete, a better passer, and hasn't already peaked. Calixte is 5'10'' and didnt play well against high level competition, and he played for a team that won 20 games in his whole career.

Quote:
You refuse to acknowledge this but JUCO basketball, for the most part today, is horrible. It's garbage. There are a few diamonds in the rough and maybe Torres is one of them, but Calixte has been playing against much better competition the last 2 years than Torres has. It's not close.
Then why, in the modern era, are juco transfers still making all-conference teams in the area? As Kelvin stated, this particular area is a gold-mine for it. They made up 20% of the all-conference selections in the Big 12 this year.

I'll wager something that Devonte Bandoo and Darius Allen at Baylor end up better than Calixte and Reynolds at OU, and significantly better.. And they get them for 2 seasons.

You definitely can't just look at the stats... you have to look at the league, how many other D1 players are on the team, athletic ability, etc. Lots of juco stat stuffers arent any good.

By the way... speaking of juco being garbage.. several of these programs send players to high level D1 every year. That is very rare for a high school to do that. Many high schools go years without sending ANY players to D1 basketball, and lots of these jucos like Indian Hills and Hutchinson and Chipola send multiple guys to high level D1 regularly. So I don't think that's entirely fair.

Quote:
You may not agree with the decision, as of course you won't since it involves OU passing on 1 of your JUCO gems, but a difference in opinion or philosophy doesn't necessarily make OU's coaches lunatics.
They can do whatever they want... and I am free to question their tactics. These are the guys who make millions of dollars per year and flew 7500 miles for Matt Freeman but didnt seriously consider high level players right in their backyard, from the SAME schools in Kansas, Texas, etc that OU has recruited very well in the past.

Quote:
It's amazing to me how many OU (supposed) fans' 1st reaction is to condemn the coaches and their philosophy rather than attempting to see things objectively from their standpoint.
People in leadership positions do dumb things all the time... If they want to ignore OU basketball history and what has led to consistent success over the years, that is fine. We wouldn't be having this conversation if the team didnt suck last year (and they sucked and you know it), and if they didnt win 9 games or whatever the year before. But they did, and so we are.

Same thing with Capel... he tried to recruit a certain way, and a local talent bailed him out, and he had horrible seasons with very questionable recruiting decisions and got fired. Lon is one bad season away next year from being fired. Cold hard facts. He needs the Maine and Pacific guys to be shockingly good, and Doolittle to be legit.

The roster is a total mess but at least they can field a team next year... We got a guy from Maine that is allowing us to field a complete team next year... think about that for a second.