ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 03-24-2017, 02:31 PM   #76
Max Power
Elite Eight

Default Re: Is the timing right for Doug Gottlieb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedeSooner View Post
Well. If I'm Dougie I'm pissed.
Then Doug should go be an assistant coach for a few years and get some experience.

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:36 PM   #77
chuckb
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
Then Doug should go be an assistant coach for a few years and get some experience.
Exactly. It's all well and good to talk about wanting to be a head coach and even feeling like he's qualified to be one. But there's no way he's putting in the hours right now that it takes to be a successful coach at the D1 level. How confident could Holder be that Gottlieb has what it takes to put in those hours? At least the assistants are doing that now.

Houston tried this with Clyde Drexler years ago. He's a former player there, loves the university, prestigious name, he'll be able to recruit and they'll get good assistants to help him with the coaching part. And then he found out how hard those coaches actually work and what all is involved. You can't just sit back, put in your 40 hours and let the assistants do all the hard stuff.

I'm not saying Gottlieb can't or won't do that but there's no doubt that he could get an assistant coaching job now and has chosen not to. How could any AD feel confident that Gottlieb is willing to do what it takes to win in the Big 12?
chuckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:50 PM   #78
Soonermarty
Walk-on

No
Soonermarty is online now   Reply With Quote