ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 01-09-2019, 07:58 PM   #1
euphguy
Starter

Default OU v. TX (Jan 9)

I hate the Longhorn Network. I have all of the ESPN channels yet I still cannot watch the game. It's frustrating.
euphguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:13 PM   #2
Rbeam1
Walk-on

Default Re: OU v. TX (Jan 9)

Simpson is a worthless center! Why won't we give Williston a shot?? she can't be any worse...
Rbeam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:35 PM   #3
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

The LHN has definitely created some major financial issues for the Big 12 and none of then are for the betterment of the conference.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:49 PM   #4
inoref
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeam1 View Post
Simpson is a worthless center! Why won't we give Williston a shot?? she can't be any worse...
wow
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:52 PM   #5
inoref
All-Conference

OU ladies may be reaching the point..they don't expect to win these games
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:53 PM   #6
soonermom1000
Walk-on

It is sad that we can't watch a TX/OU game on TV !!!! I did see the score that we were behind 6 at the end of the 3rd quarter.
soonermom1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:53 PM   #7
Oliver Hardy
All-American

I'm not down on Simpson. I think she is playing at the top of her ability and is always trying hard. In fact, if everyone put in the effort she did, we'd have more than 5 wins.
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:56 PM   #8
OKUman
Walk-on

Another game gone bye without an plan on screening for Taylor.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:04 PM   #9
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermom1000 View Post
It is sad that we can't watch a TX/OU game on TV !!!! I did see the score that we were behind 6 at the end of the 3rd quarter.
LHN is included in the Cox package I have. You missed seeing some 'alumni' cheerleaders and a woman who had had about 10 too many cosmetic surgeries.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:13 PM   #10
Rbeam1
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Hardy View Post
I'm not down on Simpson. I think she is playing at the top of her ability and is always trying hard. In fact, if everyone put in the effort she did, we'd have more than 5 wins.
I don't doubt her effort or her playing at the top of her ability. I agree she plays hard, it's just not enough for us to compete in the big 12. She would make a great backup for 10-15 minutes a game.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:16 PM   #11
Oliver Hardy
All-American

I just flat don't understand why Pellington and Ana aren't playing. What gives?

Tatum doesn't shoot at all and if she does she misses far more than she makes. Dribble, dribble, dribble.

Jess? How is she even playing D-1 ball?
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:18 PM   #12
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:

Tatum doesn't shoot at all and if she does she misses far more than she makes. Dribble, dribble, dribble.

Ana got 3 fouls in the first half. Every time she stepped on the court they called a foul on her. I don't know anything about Pellington.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:18 PM   #13
Rbeam1
Walk-on

Quote:

Ana was in foil trouble the entire game.or she would've played 40 minutes I think. Pellington is in the dog house I think. She was out of control the entire first half and attempted crazy shots. I agree Tatum is struggling offensively but I think she manages the game well.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:21 PM   #14
sybarite
National Champion

The Texas height was too much. We outworked them during the first half. But, they dominated the boards in the second and third quarters. Once we had the opportunity to tie or take the lead, we couldn't buy a shot. We had about four straight possessions where we could have taken the lead without about five left.

Shaina without a single point, and Mandy missing about six layups that would have tied the game hurt. Both rushed everything they threw at the rim.

Not a bad game. Texas played well, better on defense than K State did. We shot better, but not great. We played good defense on Texas until they found they could camp under the boards until they scored. I thought Nydia was better than Mandy at that tonight. Mandy doesn't seem to fight much taller girls for the ball, and she is out of position on defense a lot, inside.

Madi, Tatum, Ana, and Jessi played pretty well. Ana was called for two fouls that she did not commit, the victim of a bar arm.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:37 PM   #15
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
The Texas height was too much. We outworked them during the first half. But, they dominated the boards in the second and third quarters. Once we had the opportunity to tie or take the lead, we couldn't buy a shot. We had about four straight possessions where we could have taken the lead without about five left.

Shaina without a single point, and Mandy missing about six layups that would have tied the game hurt. Both rushed everything they threw at the rim.

Not a bad game. Texas played well, better on defense than K State did. We shot better, but not great. We played good defense on Texas until they found they could camp under the boards until they scored. I thought Nydia was better than Mandy at that tonight. Mandy doesn't seem to fight much taller girls for the ball, and she is out of position on defense a lot, inside.

Madi, Tatum, Ana, and Jessi played pretty well. Ana was called for two fouls that she did not commit, the victim of a bar arm.
One of these officials (I will let you study the stats of the past 2 year to figure which) frequently fouls Ana out or tends to keep her on the bench due to foul trouble.
Sweetest OU Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:38 PM   #16
mikeareese
Role Player

I think this team is one year away. They are showing flashes of what is about to come. Coale needs to follow with a strong 2020 class.
mikeareese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:42 PM   #17
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetest OU Girl View Post
One of these officials (I will let you study the stats of the past 2 year to figure which) frequently fouls Ana out or tends to keep her on the bench due to foul trouble.
Does he have a pot belly and a crew cut?

Old 01-09-2019, 09:45 PM   #18
sybarite
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeareese View Post
I think this team is one year away. They are showing flashes of what is about to come. Coale needs to follow with a strong 2020 class.
The three in the 2019 class would seem to be almost exactly what we need. I don't know that we have a big post on the horizon. I think Chloe is somewhat like Joyner, tall and mobile. But, Joyner is more physical from what I have seen. We don't have a Keilani Brown or Charlie Collier. There just aren't many of these, and they seem to gravitate to UConn, S. Carolina, Baylor, Texas, or Stanford. Nobody else really gets them. LSU had Fowles. Notre Dame had one. But, injuries limited her.

Maybe we need to recruit Serbia.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:49 PM   #19
Sooner81
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeareese View Post
I don’t see that at all. I have a hard time seeing anything positive with this group except for Robertson. If Sherri can’t recruit anyone taller than 6 foot we will Never compete again in the BIG-12 much less nationally. And Sherri needs to go back to coaching school and learn how to screen for a player LOL. She’s getting this program closer to when she took it over IMO.
Sooner81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:10 AM   #20
Soonerguy06
Walk-on

I don't care how much talent we have right now with us losing so many games and not very many wins on their horizon our record will be just about the same as it was when this program was in trouble. Add another shaky record next year because of 'youth' and I say off with her head!
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:08 AM   #21
Mac
Administrator

I didn’t see the game, only highlights and the box score, why did Sherri bring Madi and to a lesser degree Shay off the bench? Was she sending a message? And if she was what message was that? Madi always plays big in the big games like tonight and the game vs Uconn, I expect her to have a big game vs Baylor as well... now it seems like Sherri is in a tough spot trying to get Ana back in the starting line up, by moving Shay to the bench. I love that Robertson can consistently knock down the long ball, but she’s a liability on defense, and at times can give up as many points as she scores... maybe Sherri should look to bringing her off the bench.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:40 AM   #22
sybarite
National Champion

I can't address why Sherri does things. But, she started Nydia and Ana instead of Madi and Shaina. Neither Madi nor Shaina had been particularly aggressive against K State. In fact, I think Shaina only got about ten minutes, and was ineffective. Not using her quickness to get to the rim.

By starting Nydia, she put some height in with Mandy. First one down on the break? Twice, it was Nydia, and it helped spur OU to a 13-5 lead as she scored ahead of the field. Unfortunately, she isn't great on defense or rebounding, and she didn't play much after that initial burst.

Madi got the message and had a good offensive night.

Shaina didn't.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:47 AM   #23
Soonerguy06
Walk-on

kind of sad that the longer players are at OU the more unreliable and inconsistent they become. Just look at our seniors last year, you never knew who was going to show up on what night. Same trend going here with Shaina, Ana as well. I wonder what it is with Shari Cole coaching that has a player regress so much? The last player I saw that actually got better in the four years she was there was Danielle Robinson. maybe that's what some of these big players look at when they get recruited? Which players actually develop and become all Americans at Oklahoma? Ellenburg was already good so she doesn't count...I just think that says a lot about this coaching staff. Maybe SC is a hard-working coach but her assistants are lazy as can be? But that does still say something about her and that she will not let them go.. all I know is that Texas was a very very winnable game last night but when we had every opportunity to take the lead or even tie the game up at 61-59 we missed it over and over and over and over again!
Old 01-10-2019, 07:52 AM   #24
Soonerguy06
Walk-on

p. S. I've looked at the remaining schedule and best case scenario if we pull off a couple solid wins we end up the season 13 -16, probably won't win a big 12 tournament game so that certainly does not get us into the tournament. Would it even get us into the wnit tournament? If it did, would SC in all of her snobbery except it?
Old 01-10-2019, 08:20 AM   #25
sybarite
National Champion

In many respects, this was similar to the UConn game. We started well and shot pretty well early. Played good defense, rebounded well early.

Both UConn and Texas put a bit more emphasis on defense and rebounding. Texas held us to shot clock violations about five times. Both teams trailed until they began to use the big man approach.

Both teams had some interior size and could rebound until they finally hit a shot. Texas did it earlier than UConn. But, we came back against Texas, and we might well have pulled it off except that we went cold just as we got it back down to two. Neither Texas nor us scored for several possessions.

But, the Texas juniors and seniors stepped up late---same as UConn. Sutton and Williams, a junior and a senior, did all of the late scoring for Texas, just as Collier and Samuelson had for UConn. We had fits with White and Holmes inside, Collier when she came in: senior, junior, freshman.

The Texas announcers were surprised that a bunch of freshmen had stepped up to provide such a challenge---in Austin. They liked our freshmen better than we seem to.