ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 12-19-2018, 09:13 PM   #26
sooner8693
Walk-on

Default Re: UConn

Terrible coaching by SC as usual. Should have subbed down the stretch. Our girls were gassed. Even if only for 30 seconds, give them a break. Not screening for the Robertson girl if unforgivable. And Colton is totally lost. What a joke.
sooner8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:13 PM   #27
soonermom1000
Walk-on

Proud of the girls for pushing Uconn to the limit. Wished we could have won this one, but now we know these girls can hang with the best....We are going to be all right!!!
soonermom1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:16 PM   #28
soonermike22
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
Just got back from the game. OU had no transition defense or the lead going into the 4th quarter would have been greater. You are not going to get UConn to go 2-17 BTA but we did despite their shooting 41% for the season. The game changed in the 4th quarter because UConn was sending no one but Collier to the offensive boards the first 3 quarters but started attacking the offensive boards at the start of the 4th quarter. Through 3 quarters the Sooners were a +1 on the boards for the game they were a -10. The huskies continued to get 2nd and 3rd changes throughout the final period.

Didn't help that we scored only 1 point in the last 5+ minutes. Offensively we just quit moving the last 10-13 minutes and points were harder to make. Shaina also started forcing penetration late after playing under control for most of the game (also had a second qtr lull). We had no answer for Collier (23 points, 17 boards) who is listed as 6'2" but I think she is at least 6'3". She definitely appeared 3" taller than Simpson. But Lampkin could not defend her so Sherri had no choice but to ride Simpson.
I think both we wore down in the forth and let them get way too many offensive rebounds, dead legs couldn't get shots to fall, and too slow to get back in transition, and also UCONN's seniors woke up and went after it hard in the later stages of the game.
Good game on our part, but weak finish from fatigue, and maybe being outcoached
soonermike22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:34 PM   #29
OKUman
Walk-on

Right on, I keep screaming set a screen. Had the wrong girls shooting the three. I would tell Williams and 14 her name slips my mind,drive the ball get fouls, do not shoot jump shots. Poor Simpson, she tried like heck, but she just can’t handle the ball verry well.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:09 PM   #30
Sooner04
All-Conference

I could not be more shocked, nor could I be more proud. We had them, just couldn't finish.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:02 PM   #31
SoonerinNC
Starter

I am not a big supporter of Sherri. I think the game has passed her by a bit. She seems to be guard happy. Reminds me of former mens coach Bruce Drake from the 40's and 50's. Had a theory of basketball class by him. He had an offense called the Drake Shuffle. He stated that with his offense and 5 quick little guys he could win. Unfortunately, Kansas came in with 4 quick big guys and a center who hit hook shots from 15 feet away.

Also I, like many of you wish she would set more screens, any screens.

But I also believe in fairness.

No word in this thread about the great game by Maddi Williams who rebounded with the best and blocked shots by a 6-3 all-american. And by the way, turned in a double double.

No word about the way Robertson got open for her shots and her overall game.

No word about how well Tatum ran the offense.

And no word about how well Pellington played until late in the game. Just complaints about her turnovers, justified, but not indicative of her overall performance.

UConn was off their game but we led with only 3:40 left in the game over a team that fried #2 Notre Dame. They finally started playing tough defense and exploited our weakness inside against a gassed Mandy Simpson. Sherri has got to take some chances and give her some rest. A big lady like her just can't be effective for 40 minutes, particularly how hard she tries.

All I get from the game thread is a lot of negative stuff and how bad Sherri and Colton are. I don't have a clue how talented a coach Colton is and I seriously doubt that anyone on this board has any more knowledge about him. For all I know he could be one of the best assistants in college basketball.

Nepotism becomes a problem if the offspring doesn't perform. For that reason I usually advise against it but it seems to work in softball and womens gymnastics. And everyone on the football board couldn't wait to get Mike Stoops back until we got him.
SoonerinNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:41 AM   #32
euphguy
Starter

I really like that this team has no fear. At times, they look a hot mess. However, they lost in the final minutes of the game and by single digits. That's about as good as anyone could expect from them. At some point they have to push those efforts into wins, or else they won't make the NCAA tournament.
euphguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:49 AM   #33
sybarite
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerinNC View Post
I am not a big supporter of Sherri. I think the game has passed her by a bit. She seems to be guard happy. Reminds me of former mens coach Bruce Drake from the 40's and 50's. Had a theory of basketball class by him. He had an offense called the Drake Shuffle. He stated that with his offense and 5 quick little guys he could win. Unfortunately, Kansas came in with 4 quick big guys and a center who hit hook shots from 15 feet away.

No word in this thread about the great game by Maddi Williams who rebounded with the best and blocked shots by a 6-3 all-american. And by the way, turned in a double double.

And no word about how well Pellington played until late in the game. Just complaints about her turnovers, justified, but not indicative of her overall performance.

UConn was off their game but we led with only 3:40 left in the game over a team that fried #2 Notre Dame. They finally started playing tough defense and exploited our weakness inside against a gassed Mandy Simpson. Sherri has got to take some chances and give her some rest. A big lady like her just can't be effective for 40 minutes, particularly how hard she tries.

All I get from the game thread is a lot of negative stuff and how bad Sherri and Colton are. I don't have a clue how talented a coach Colton is and I seriously doubt that anyone on this board has any more knowledge about him. For all I know he could be one of the best assistants in college basketball.

Nepotism becomes a problem if the offspring doesn't perform. For that reason I usually advise against it but it seems to work in softball and womens gymnastics. And everyone on the football board couldn't wait to get Mike Stoops back until we got him.
I agree with everything except your first paragraph. We will learn soon enough since she is probably approaching the end of her career. I suspect she'll remain until next year's class leaves, just to see the program rebuilt.

I wondered if this team might give UConn more trouble than we have in recent years. It has more athleticism and exceptional skills than any we've had recently. I don't know if you could call Taylor athletic. But, she has a very special set of scoring skills.

Madi is as good as she wants to be.

When Shaina tries to take control of a game, she is often a disaster. We surged to a twelve-point lead largely off the scoring of Madi an Taylor. Then, Shaina and Mandy began trying to make some things happen, resulting in missed shots and turnovers. If we had had the ball being shot by Madi, Taylor, Jessi, and Tatum, we might have been better off. Shaina hit a couple of threes in the first game. Any more, they aren't even close. Not her skill---yet. It hurt when people started trying to do things.

Can you really reach over the back that often without fouling? UConn was a much better team. I'm surprised that we hung with them like that. But, I don't think all of Katie's and Collier's reach over rebounds were legit. I'm not concerned because this was more a learning experience that a good shot at winning---which came close.

I had thought something similar might happen. We have enough skill sets to stay on the floor with UConn unless they are hot. I did not expect us to have the lead at the end of the first three quarters. It did not surprise me that we hung close. I expected the ending. That is good championship caliber seniors against freshmen. Geno commented how much it had meant to have Dangerfield this year. He likes having a stable point guard. Well, he also had Katie and Collier taking control. That is an experienced trio of good players who are on a title quest. They went up against four freshmen and two sophomores..

We used reserves for 13 minutes. UConn used reserves for ten. This was a game for starters.

In their two close games, (10 points over St. Johns) UConn won them at the free throw line. St. Johns won it on the floor, lost it something like 14-2 at the free throw line. They beat us 14-5 at the line.

I am not fond of any family hires in ANY sport.
sybarite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:13 PM   #34
Mac
Administrator

Few things that I noticed in the game.

OU is a pretty good half court team, slowing down the game vs a team like Baylor who will look to score a bunch of points wouldn’t be a bad idea...

Even though I wish Tatum would involve herself in the offense more, by looking to score or even try and make plays for her teammates, she has a really high IQ and plays good defense and makes a lot of hustle plays on the court like diving for lose balls and setting screens...

A lot of people seem to be down on Shay but she can get to the rim at will has a lot of ways to score other then from deep, and she does a decent job of defending bigger players, even though she’s only 5’7 she’s pretty long...

Madi is a good player who always shows up for big games, but she’s going to struggle scoring on players bigger then her if they are just as fast as she is... after scoring 10 points in the 1st half Geno took #3 Walker off Williams and put #24 Collier on her who is 2 inches taller, just as fast as Williams, but also has long arms... it basically took her out of the game. I’m not sure how Williams will due vs Baylor being guard by Cox all night, Cox isn’t fast so Kim might try and roll with Smith who can probably check Williams.

OU might miss the big dance this year, but the future is definitely bright if this group stays together and healthy for the next 4 years...
Old 12-20-2018, 12:47 PM   #35
sybarite
National Champion

I could never be down on Shaina. I can be frustrated with her learning curve. She was extremely raw at being a point, and we tend to try to get a point out of her. She was more of a streetball type when I saw her, one on one stuff. Even watched a game between US and Canada which was really Davis (Tennessee) vs Pellington (Canada) since they scored most of their respective team's points.

I expect Shaina to be like a DRob as a junior and senior. She is a great talent---but still mistake prone.

I wonder if Aspen might have stopped at least some of that rebound tipping UConn was doing?
Old 12-20-2018, 12:59 PM   #36
trusooner
Walk-on

I coached girls high school basketball for many years and was lucky if I ever had a kid 6 ft tall. We always played teams that had a post so much taller than my post. I used to get so frustrated when they refs would allow them to go over our backs to get a rebound! Invariably officials would tell me “they’re just taller coach”! If you notice when we actually attempt to block out properly it usually works but when our legs get tired we start standing up not bending our knees. That’s my observation as to what happened in the 4th quarter. We got tired. Also Lampkin may not be as good as Simpson but they’ve got to find a way to get Lampkin some playing time and get Simpson some rest. Not to be a negative Nancy but you’re not winning anyway so why not get Lampkin in the game to get her some experience. I’m never going to compare myself to SC but there’s got to be some help in the middle.
And agree 100% about the lack of screens! UConn went to a box and 1 in the 4th and we had no answer! Got to expect that more as the season progresses because right now Taylor is all we have as a consistent outside shooter. And just to add she’s probably got the highest basketball IQ on the team. JMO. Getting Anna back will help a lot also.
trusooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:07 PM   #37
sybarite
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusooner View Post
I coached girls high school basketball for many years and was lucky if I ever had a kid 6 ft tall. We always played teams that had a post so much taller than my post. I used to get so frustrated when they refs would allow them to go over our backs to get a rebound! Invariably officials would tell me “they’re just taller coach”! If you notice when we actually attempt to block out properly it usually works but when our legs get tired we start standing up not bending our knees. That’s my observation as to what happened in the 4th quarter. We got tired. Also Lampkin may not be as good as Simpson but they’ve got to find a way to get Lampkin some playing time and get Simpson some rest. Not to be a negative Nancy but you’re not winning anyway so why not get Lampkin in the game to get her some experience. I’m never going to compare myself to SC but there’s got to be some help in the middle.
And agree 100% about the lack of screens! UConn went to a box and 1 in the 4th and we had no answer! Got to expect that more as the season progresses because right now Taylor is all we have as a consistent outside shooter. And just to add she’s probably got the highest basketball IQ on the team. JMO. Getting Anna back will help a lot also.
+1
Old 12-20-2018, 01:21 PM   #38
inoref
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusooner View Post
I agree with some of the above. One of the issues and its a big one..Sherri & Colton needs to hit the road and recruit. You catch UConn on a night that played their worse game in decades (for at least 3 1/2 quarters) OU girls played pretty good, and top it off with a decent crowd. When its all said and done..its a loss. I still think this team is limited on how much better they can get.
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:05 PM   #39
okjim
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerinNC View Post

love this
okjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:27 PM   #40
soonerstar
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner8693 View Post
Terrible coaching by SC as usual. Should have subbed down the stretch. Our girls were gassed. Even if only for 30 seconds, give them a break. Not screening for the Robertson girl if unforgivable. And Colton is totally lost. What a joke.
All of this is 100% true.
soonerstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:33 PM   #41
BanjoCharley
Starter

Me too! For SoonerinNC. Good post.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:23 AM   #42
Soonerguy06
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoCharley View Post
Me too! For SoonerinNC. Good post.

+2
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:13 PM   #43
inoref
All-Conference

Wonder how much money Colton makes?
Old 12-21-2018, 03:56 PM   #44
sybarite
National Champion

So. Everyone is upset that recruiting has improved, and the idea is to blame Colton?
Old 12-21-2018, 07:58 PM   #45
Soonerguy06
Walk-on

I guarantee you Colton had next to nothing to do with these recent recruits... He has no credibility whatsoever. What has he done so far? These players that actually choose to come to Norman are choosing to do so because of Sherri, not Colton!
Old 12-21-2018, 08:01 PM   #46
inoref
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
So. Everyone is upset that recruiting has improved, and the idea is to blame Colton?
I'm not blaming Colton at all, I blame mommy
Old 12-22-2018, 09:41 AM   #47
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
With Sherri, Pam, Chad and Colton on the staff I am not going to give the accolades to Colton for the recruiting class. He only been allowed on the recruitng trail since September 2018 and the class was signed in November.

Philosophically I never support nepotism ever. And because of age and Jan Ross' health Colton can probably be much more active on the recruiting trail. But at least on paper Sherri could have easiy signed 25-50 highly proven assistants with established recruiting credential but chose her son instead.

That was not a decision made in the best interest of the team but the Coale family unless Sherri as a micromanager knew she was so difficult to work for that Colton might be the only one who could sustain working for her.

After all her entire staff since being at OU is comprised of mostly old cronies like Stacy Hansmeyer who played for her at Norman High, Jan Ross her teammate at OCC and Chad Thrailkill her assistant at Norman High. Pam DeCosta and Bo Overton did have experience elsewhere before coming to OU. That is a turnover of 3 assistants in 23 years with two not leaving for a better opportunity. Stacy Hansmeyer left the game and Jan stayed on but is not coaching. Strange.

A HOF coach should be producing a coaching tree of some size and Sherri has 1 in 23 years.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 12-22-2018 at 09:52 AM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 01:22 PM   #48
Soonerguy06
Walk-on

holy smokes the camera man for this SMU game is horrible every time they score there is a delayed replay that is so delayed you do not get to see OU's next offense of possession afterwards!!
Old 12-23-2018, 11:41 AM   #49
Hoopdreams79
Walk-on

The difference in the first 3 and a half quarters and the last five minutes was Shaina tried to do too much. What if she tried to defend too much maybe that is where her energy needs to be. Veitenheimer was poised and controlled offense and defended well nothing flashy just solid. We just seemed to flow better when the ball is in her hands. But no matter when the pressure is on Shaina has a hard time handling it. Madi Tatum and Taylor played well freshman or not and proved they can play at any level. We need more kids like this not just kids who can play vs certain teams. Everyone will have off nights but there is still so much good players can give when the one thing they do best isn’t working. I am gonna be patient with this team. I believe had Ana not been hurt she takes some of Taylor’s minutes and it helps us defensively. People complain about not enough screens for robertson but it also requires foot speed and change of direction for kid being screened. Taylor will go down as one of the best shooters. But there is a reason she was not nationally recruited. No one who ever saw her play didn’t believe she could shoot. And she was on the circuit nationally- i think they just didn’t know how she could play defense. Sherri tried to zone a lot early in season but that just allowed teams to set three point records. Taylor can get her shots in whether she plays 20 min or 30 min but Ana will help add another player that is not so one dimensional. I think we win 4 more games had Ana been on roster. And I would like to see EJ play more.
Hoopdreams79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:00 PM   #50
sybarite
National Champion

Most of the UConn fans thought more of OU than did our own fans. They were impressed.

https://the-boneyard.com/threads/ou-game-recap.137611/

https://the-boneyard.com/threads/con...-coale.137632/