ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 01-09-2019, 06:58 PM   #1
euphguy
Starter

Default OU v. TX (Jan 9)

I hate the Longhorn Network. I have all of the ESPN channels yet I still cannot watch the game. It's frustrating.
euphguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:13 PM   #2
Rbeam1
Walk-on

Default Re: OU v. TX (Jan 9)

Simpson is a worthless center! Why won't we give Williston a shot?? she can't be any worse...
Rbeam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:35 PM   #3
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

The LHN has definitely created some major financial issues for the Big 12 and none of then are for the betterment of the conference.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:49 PM   #4
inoref
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeam1 View Post
Simpson is a worthless center! Why won't we give Williston a shot?? she can't be any worse...
wow
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:52 PM   #5
inoref
All-Conference

OU ladies may be reaching the point..they don't expect to win these games
Old 01-09-2019, 07:53 PM   #6
soonermom1000
Walk-on

It is sad that we can't watch a TX/OU game on TV !!!! I did see the score that we were behind 6 at the end of the 3rd quarter.
soonermom1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:04 PM   #7
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermom1000 View Post
It is sad that we can't watch a TX/OU game on TV !!!! I did see the score that we were behind 6 at the end of the 3rd quarter.
LHN is included in the Cox package I have. You missed seeing some 'alumni' cheerleaders and a woman who had had about 10 too many cosmetic surgeries.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:16 PM   #8
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

I just flat don't understand why Pellington and Ana aren't playing. What gives?

Tatum doesn't shoot at all and if she does she misses far more than she makes. Dribble, dribble, dribble.

Jess? How is she even playing D-1 ball?
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:21 PM   #9
sybarite
National Champion

The Texas height was too much. We outworked them during the first half. But, they dominated the boards in the second and third quarters. Once we had the opportunity to tie or take the lead, we couldn't buy a shot. We had about four straight possessions where we could have taken the lead without about five left.

Shaina without a single point, and Mandy missing about six layups that would have tied the game hurt. Both rushed everything they threw at the rim.

Not a bad game. Texas played well, better on defense than K State did. We shot better, but not great. We played good defense on Texas until they found they could camp under the boards until they scored. I thought Nydia was better than Mandy at that tonight. Mandy doesn't seem to fight much taller girls for the ball, and she is out of position on defense a lot, inside.

Madi, Tatum, Ana, and Jessi played pretty well. Ana was called for two fouls that she did not commit, the victim of a bar arm.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:53 PM   #10
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

I'm not down on Simpson. I think she is playing at the top of her ability and is always trying hard. In fact, if everyone put in the effort she did, we'd have more than 5 wins.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:13 PM   #11
Rbeam1
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Hardy View Post
I'm not down on Simpson. I think she is playing at the top of her ability and is always trying hard. In fact, if everyone put in the effort she did, we'd have more than 5 wins.
I don't doubt her effort or her playing at the top of her ability. I agree she plays hard, it's just not enough for us to compete in the big 12. She would make a great backup for 10-15 minutes a game.
Rbeam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:56 PM   #12
OKUman
Walk-on

Another game gone bye without an plan on screening for Taylor.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:52 AM   #13
oketex
Walk-on

Guys/Gals I watched the game last night and have seen most of the games this year and here is my opinion only, I will not bash any of the young ladies, this is just an old man's opinion.

First; we can not nor will not win a lot of games without taller players, Sherri is recruiting players who are 5'9", 5'10" 6'0" and maybe 6'2" while other teams are recruiting young ladies who are 6'2' and taller. Without a tall post player for today's style of play short players and teams are not going to be successful.

Second: SC likes to run a four guard offense which is great if you have a lot of speed, we don't have it this year and therefore her style is not going to win.

Third: I honestly believe that SC will not be at OU next year unless this team shows some big improvements. She needs to revamp her coaching staff, get rid of her friends and family and find coaches who can coach not just sit on the bench and draw a pay check.

Forth: I think the game has passed SC by and it's time for big changes, we haven't had the attendance we use to get for sometime now and OU fans our tired of watching a team and coaching staff that can't get the job done. I believe that the new President will dump her at the end of the year.

oketex
oketex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:07 PM   #14
SoonerinNC
All-Conference

Trying to be careful to not get into the bashing of players and coaches. Enough of that going on. But I have questions.

We got crushed again inside. Not dissing Simpson because on the surface she had pretty good line; 10 points, 6 rebounds, 2-2 free throws and 5 assists with only 2 turnovers. But the Texas bigs Holmes, White and Collier scored 32 points and 31 rebounds. Madi added 18 points and 6 rebounds but she is also undersized for a power forward.

Why after losing Mulkey we didn't get a solid center through recruiting, transfers or the grad thing the men used with Calixte and Reynolds. Mandy would be a good off the bench high post player. She has a good IQ and a very good passer. We probably have to play zone while she is in but we play some zone anyway. Some say the transfers aren't the answer but tell that to Oregon where transfer Boley hit 8 treys and over 30 points recently, or to Notre Dame with Jessica Shepherd, or Mississippi State with Howard or to South Carolina who had two starting guard transfers on their championship team.

Why 0 points from Pellington when she has been over 20 and over 30 so far this season. Players are supposed to get better from their freshman to their soph years.

Why does Ana continue to get into foul trouble. She is athletic enough to avoid some of those fouls.

Why can possible the best 3 point shooter in college basketball get off only 8 shots from behind the arc and possibly some of them under intense pressure. (Was unable to watch the game.)

Why do we have so little depth that 3 of our players have to be out there for the entire game. Simpson and Robertson are just not athletic enough to put in that kind of time.

Why do we have such effective out of bounds plays but players have a problem getting open in our half court offense. (Always wondered about that one.)

Why are we so hot and cold. When we lose there is usually a big run sometime in the game by our opponent. When we win we usually have a big run of our own.

Even though we have done better lately with turnovers, why do we usually have so many and many of them unforced or due to us trying to force the play.

Why do we miss so many layups. Women will miss more than the men becuse simply they are further away from the hoop when they release but we miss a ton of fairly wide open layups.

And finally, why have the fans stopped coming. We used to have big crowds and now playing to a nearly empty gym.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:31 PM   #15
inoref
All-Conference

A bad and I mean really thing that can happen is...these young ladies will give up and pack it in for the year, how many (if any) will leave after this year? Heck maybe even Sherri & Colton pack it in. Looks like the fans attending games have already done that years ago.
I really can see Sherri stepping down very soon either on her own or by not her own, either way I'm fine with it. Clean house start it over again, see what happens.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:29 PM   #16
gwydion
Walk-on

I like our freshmen. I see a lot of upside with them. I like our sophomores. I don't like our coaching. Haven't for quite a while. I have no idea why Sherri doesn't produce better teams cause I do think the talent has been there for the girls to be better than they are. I do think Sherri has been put on at least a warm seat cause her recruiting has stepped up. But unless she can get better results from these arguably better recruiting classes I think we will see her replaced. I'm not sure it will be this year, but I would think by the end of next.
gwydion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:20 PM   #17
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Default OU v. TX (Jan 9)

You go back before the timeline I set. I agree that in Sherri’s earlier years players did get better.

Last 5-7, I have trouble naming any, but I would agree that Vivi got better, maybe Campbell.

Almost a decade during my timeline and we can agree on two getting better.

Does that sound like a coaching staff that is getting the job done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Oliver Hardy; 01-14-2019 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:27 PM   #18
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

I’ll add McFarland. So — 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2019, 06:53 AM   #19
Soonerguy06
Role Player

My point exactly, this coaching staff sucks. There's just no other way around it. SC was a good coach at one point, no doubt about that. And just because she's gotten a few quality recruits in doesn't mean things will turn around. With all the talent we supposedly brought in this year I thought we would be better than what we are now despite them, being young. It's a really really sad time for a sooner women's basketball fan right now :-(
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote