ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 05-12-2019, 09:17 PM   #1
CoachTalk
Final Four

Default Odessa juco commit

Commitment

http://www.wranglersports.com/sports...on_kamryn_f1wr

Last edited by CoachTalk; 05-12-2019 at 09:20 PM.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:01 PM   #2
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

A guard?

?????? WTH?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:05 PM   #3
atlantasooner
All-Conference

Default Re: Odessa juco commit

While a post player would have been preferably.

A starving man turns down no meals.

8-22 teams don't turn down any help.
atlantasooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:05 PM   #4
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

If she is a true point guard she could be a valuable addition. Presently the PG is far from a strength of the program. But obviously PG is not the key need for this team.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:15 PM   #5
CoachTalk
Final Four

Tough pg from what I can gather. It’s a start. Bring in girls that will push and compete
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:53 PM   #6
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Probably means we didnít land the other girl from Texas we were all raving about because we were still on her finalist list.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:46 AM   #7
Soonerguy06
Role Player

I don't understand this either. Why another guard first of all unless this is going to be an impactful player that will immediately start??? I thought she was going for grad transfers so we would not eat up next year scholarships. Maybe this girl is good and will make an immediate impact. We definitely need some height though!
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:52 AM   #8
SKSooner
Walk-on

A post player isn't going to help you reduce your number of turnovers. A tough minded point guard who can handle pressure will, though.

While I think we need a post player, I think we need a real point guard just as much. I like this commitment a lot, and I think she will help us tremendously.
SKSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:59 AM   #9
Soonerguy06
Role Player

I really really hope you're right! I definitely think PG was one of our weak spots this past season!
Old 05-13-2019, 08:12 AM   #10
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKSooner View Post
A post player isn't going to help you reduce your number of turnovers. A tough minded point guard who can handle pressure will, though.

While I think we need a post player, I think we need a real point guard just as much. I like this commitment a lot, and I think she will help us tremendously.
OU needs to reduce turnovers, rebound better and play better defense to get to their next level. Statistically at the JC level she is a better rebounder and has a better assist to turnover ratio than any guard on the team. If she can continue to do those two things and play defense she will make this team better. She appears to me to be a good signee. Not the ideal signee but a positive addition. Now if she can average 6+ p/g she will help even more.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:55 AM   #11
Mac
Administrator

http://www.wranglersports.com/sports...on_kamryn_f1wr

Sheís not a bad player, I think Carter would have been a good bridge gap between this year and a point guard in the 2020 class... but I see Lemon has a good chance to start. Ou hasnít been able to bring in any help from the Juco ranks, looking at the players who were brought in before, thatís the only thing that worries me...
Old 05-13-2019, 02:16 PM   #12
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Yeah free agents that are worth a hoot are just sitting around with coaches just beginning them to sign.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:18 PM   #13
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Guess this means Bloom is definitely starting at the five. Wonder if she's going to be happy about that or will she get pissed and leave after next season.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is beginning to look a whole lot like a cluster f***.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:27 PM   #14
Mac
Administrator

Dee
Madi
Ana
Taylor
Kam

That is who I would role with, Dee, Scott, and Bloom could all rotation at the 5.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:21 PM   #15
sybarite
National Champion

SoonerinNC and Atlanta, I'm a bit disappointed in your responses. I expect more vision, and hope.

The one thing that we lacked other than a solid post was a consistent point. Tatum and Jessi showed some flashes, but neither were ready to run the show. Shaina wouldn't, too self-interested. We may still see Jessi and Tatum mature into it. They have some tools. But, they are sophs.

Lemon will be a junior as I understand. She is brought in for immediate duty. I can't tell much from the video. She is obviously a lot better than some rather mediocre players. Does she have D-1 potential. Sherri is a far better judge than I, and she is the one faced with this situation. I would say that he immediate needs were someone to play defense in the interior and grab a few boards, along with Madi, and someone to set up the offense and keep it set up. The only thing of value that I saw was that her first pass was always crisp. We often lost our first pass because it was tossed softly. I didn't see her setting up shooters. But, I'm only through the first quarter.

Oh. and she shoots free throws better than Shaina did---after two years. Two years as a shooter/scorer, and you can't hit free throws? Attitude.

This may or may not be what we need. It is a two-year fix. It has nothing to do with who we are recruiting. She saw a need, probably for more than one thing, and she went for it.

We may have what we need in Aspen, Dee, and Chloe. I think we need a solid back to the basket post. We'll see. We are better off with Dee and Chloe than we were last year, and one may be a break out player. I think Aspen can be a force. She isn't a total non-athlete. Let's see what plays out between now and November before we give up.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:59 AM   #16
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
SoonerinNC and Atlanta, I'm a bit disappointed in your responses. I expect more vision, and hope.

The one thing that we lacked other than a solid post was a consistent point. Tatum and Jessi showed some flashes, but neither were ready to run the show. Shaina wouldn't, too self-interested. We may still see Jessi and Tatum mature into it. They have some tools. But, they are sophs.

This may or may not be what we need. It is a two-year fix. It has nothing to do with who we are recruiting. She saw a need, probably for more than one thing, and she went for it.

We may have what we need in Aspen, Dee, and Chloe. I think we need a solid back to the basket post. We'll see. We are better off with Dee and Chloe than we were last year, and one may be a break out player. I think Aspen can be a force. She isn't a total non-athlete. Let's see what plays out between now and November before we give up.
I agree too much is being made about signing the wrong player based on needs. No question a big is our primary need but Sherri still has three scholarships that can be used despite preferring to use them next year should she find that post player.

Any addition could be a help especially at the 5, 4 and 1 in that order. I'll take Lemon and hope she can be what Shaina could not be and Tatum/Mercer have yet to show they can be. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 05-14-2019 at 04:04 AM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:32 AM   #17
SoonerinNC
All-Conference

Sorry if my post was offensive to others. I probably did sound like I felt that Sherri had blown her last chance to reinforce the inside game. She does have a history of not using all of her scholarships.

I do feel the right to express my assessment of a new recruit, with the admitted amateurs perspective. I see someone who has good court vision and makes accurate passes. Hit a nice trey and averaged around 15 points a game but against competition a far cry from Div I opponents.

I do believe she can compete at the Div I level but saw no effort to penetrate or dish off. Didn't see her show the speed to separate on the breaks like Pellington. Her shooting percentages are less than Murcer. Turnovers clearly less than Murcer, but all OU players had excessive turnovers. It has to be the system rather than the people when everyone has high turnovers. How can we expect any new player to be any different?

Sorry, I just don't see her an upgrade over Murcer and maybe not even Viethiemer. Murcer had 27 assists the last four games of the season but unfortunately 18 turnovers.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:13 PM   #18
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Syb, when you are reaching that far back to try to justify what was a silly post to begin with, you just damage your own comments and positions. One instance? All you could find is Maria???

Old 05-14-2019, 04:27 PM   #19
sybarite
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Hardy View Post
Syb, when you are reaching that far back to try to justify what was a silly post to begin with, you just damage your own comments and positions. One instance? All you could find is Maria???

Either provide all of these great JCs and what they have done or drop it.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:17 PM   #20
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Iím sure over the course of time that there have been scores of juco players who moved up to D-1 and contributed immensely to their teams. Itís stupid and silly to argue otherwise.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:07 PM   #21
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Why donít you drop it? Your demand is ridiculous, just as your entire argument is.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:03 AM   #22
Mac
Administrator

Danielle Adams Texas A&M
Shannon Bobbitt Tennessee
Sheryl Swoopes Texas Tech
All JC players who one a ncaa championship

Yolanda Griffith Florida Atlantic is a basketball legend

Adut Bulgak Florida St went on to play in the WNBA

Not a big list, but still a list... I noticed that Kam didnít make any JC teams, not a big deal, but when you add that to the list of JC players who have come to OU and it could be cause for worry...
Old 05-15-2019, 07:22 AM   #23
Soonerguy06
Role Player

I was just about to mention Danielle Adams is the most recent one that comes to mind. Also, WV had N. Davenport the past two seasons that made the all conference team. Arkansas had Tolefree. These are just three big ones that come to mind from my limited knowledge of other teams. My point was that the JC players SC have brought in have, for the most part, been non contributors. Syb will always argue anything against SC, that's a given. I hope i'm wrong about this girl we just brought in, but my point is with SC's track record I won't be getting my hopes up!
Old 05-15-2019, 08:44 AM   #24
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

this is uncalled for and not welcome on this board

consider this your 1 and only warning

ADMIN

Last edited by BoulderSooner; 05-16-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #25
One More Rebound
Starter

She may be a solid, steady player who can improve this team's play, but The Sooners need bigger players, as when OU plays teams like Baylor, for instance, they are being shoved out of the gym. Maybe a big player will be the next commitment.