ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 10-22-2019, 09:50 PM   #1
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Default Quentin Grimes

Just read that he was granted a waiver and will be eligible this season at Houston. That will definitely help Kevin's team. This will be a tough one to explain for all the folks who think the NCAA only looks to help blue bloods, and who think they are out to get Kelvin.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:15 AM   #2
BCSooners
All-American

Default Re: Quentin Grimes

Why even have the waiver rule? I'm for it but they never make sense on who gets one and who doesn't. If you're not a grad transfer then you have to sit, no exceptions.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:21 AM   #3
CoachTalk
Final Four

I disagree on this one BC.

He was pulling out of the draft and KU had no scholly for him.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:38 AM   #4
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post

I still believe there should be either a no exceptions rule or a no penalty. Too many waivers getting approved or denied with similar stories. Charlie Moore is eligible again for goodness sake.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:54 AM   #5
usedtobe1
Administrator

OU wanted Grimes. He played for The Woodlands in north Houston.... where I live. Grimes had his eye on the blue blood programs. Instead OU signed Jamal Bienemy who they rhought was a sleeper and as good as Grimes. I think it worked out OK for the Sooners.
usedtobe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:29 PM   #6
Eielson
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post

That's pretty ****ty on Self's part. If true, he deserves the waiver more than most.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:38 PM   #7
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
That's pretty ****ty on Self's part. If true, he deserves the waiver more than most.
My thoughts exactly!

Then again, consider the source. Billís last name fits him perfectly!
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:32 PM   #8
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Actually, it was reported that a significant reason Grimes got the waiver is because KU actively supported his case. Same with Moore, apparently. I can't stand the Hawks but don't think they did anything wrong here. I think both guys left because they thought they'd have better opportunities elsewhere. If KU wanted to be jerks, they could have fought it, but they seemingly did right by them.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:49 PM   #9
WaymanFan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
Why even have the waiver rule? I'm for it but they never make sense on who gets one and who doesn't. If you're not a grad transfer then you have to sit, no exceptions.
Cough, cough, TaShawn Thomas, cough, cough.

TaShawn is why I like these getting reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:46 PM   #10
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
Cough, cough, TaShawn Thomas, cough, cough.

TaShawn is why I like these getting reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Either approve them all or make them sit. Iím sure there are other great excuses but those excuses should be worth sitting out a year.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:21 AM   #11
Mac
Administrator

Quote:
If a coach can change schools and coach right away, why shouldnít a player get the same treatment?
Old 10-24-2019, 10:30 AM   #12
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
If a coach can change schools and coach right away, why shouldnít a player get the same treatment?
Coaches have to negotiate a buyout & youíd leave programs really vulnerable to having a mass exodus every year. Smaller programs wonít be able to keep their best players, recruiting kids from other schools, etc.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:38 AM   #13
Max Power
Elite Eight

Quote:
Coaches have to negotiate a buyout & you’d leave programs really vulnerable to having a mass exodus every year. Smaller programs won’t be able to keep their best players, recruiting kids from other schools, etc.
Kansas chose not to re-new his scholarship. Why should he have to sit for that?

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:41 PM   #14
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
Kansas chose not to re-new his scholarship. Why should he have to sit for that?
That's already a clause built in to where they don't have to sit for that reason. I wasn't aware that KU already used his scholarship while he was still testing the waters. There are still a ton of waivers that get approved that don't make any sense.

I also don't like how if a kid gets told to leave because he fails class or is a headache is automatically granted a waiver. Just tells kids if you want to get a waiver just act like a punk. But I do understand coaches could claim the kid was bad, when he wasn't, just to open up the scholarship.

Last edited by BCSooners; 10-24-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:38 PM   #15
usedtobe1
Administrator

I donít blame KU or Bill Self. Grimes chose to enter the draft, and then later withdrew his name because he wasnít going to go as high as he hoped. KU didnít push him out the door. Was KU obligated to keep that scholarship open in case he changed his mind? They went out and recruited someone to fill that open spot. If they had waited, there might not have been anyone left who filled their needs. When Grimes decided to come back to school, KU no longer had a spot for him. Were they supposed to pull the scholarship offer from the committed player and give it back to Grimes? They did the next best thing in supporting Grimesí transfer and appeal for immediate eligibility. I think KU did the right thing.
usedtobe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:40 PM   #16
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobe1 View Post
I donít blame KU or Bill Self. Grimes chose to enter the draft, and then later withdrew his name because he wasnít going to go as high as he hoped. KU didnít push him out the door. Was KU obligated to keep that scholarship open in case he changed his mind? They went out and recruited someone to fill that open spot. If they had waited, there might not have been anyone left who filled their needs. When Grimes decided to come back to school, KU no longer had a spot for him. Were they supposed to pull the scholarship offer from the committed player and give it back to Grimes? They did the next best thing in supporting Grimesí transfer and appeal for immediate eligibility. I think KU did the right thing.
I agree
Old 10-24-2019, 08:27 PM   #17
Max Power
Elite Eight

Quote:
Both can be right. He was the #8 player in the 2018 recruiting class, of course he tested the waters. And no Kansas doesnt have to wait on him, which is why i think he should get to transfer without sitting

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:20 PM   #18
Eielson
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Actually, it was reported that a significant reason Grimes got the waiver is because KU actively supported his case. Same with Moore, apparently. I can't stand the Hawks but don't think they did anything wrong here. I think both guys left because they thought they'd have better opportunities elsewhere. If KU wanted to be jerks, they could have fought it, but they seemingly did right by them.
Did right by him? They didn't renew his scholarship. You expect them to the pull a guys scholarship and then make it hard for him to leave? This is more about saving face with future recruits than helping Grimes. I will not applaud them for helping one of the top prospects in the country land a non-P5 spot.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:21 PM   #19
Eielson
All-Conference

Quote:
UK doesn't do that.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:53 PM   #20
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Did right by him? They didn't renew his scholarship. You expect them to the pull a guys scholarship and then make it hard for him to leave? This is more about saving face with future recruits than helping Grimes. I will not applaud them for helping one of the top prospects in the country land a non-P5 spot.
You obviously don't know the full story. Grimes didn't want to come back to KU. He wasn't one of those guys who enters the draft just wanting to get feedback on his game so he knows what to work on once he withdraws. His plan was to stay in the draft or, if he didn't get the feedback he was hoping for, transfer someplace where he could play the point, which he considers his best position. He obviously wasn't going to play the point at KU with Dotson there. So what exactly do you think KU should do in that situation? Not recruit someone to replace a guy who was all but certain not to come back?
Old 10-27-2019, 06:55 PM   #21
Eielson
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
You obviously don't know the full story. Grimes didn't want to come back to KU. He wasn't one of those guys who enters the draft just wanting to get feedback on his game so he knows what to work on once he withdraws. His plan was to stay in the draft or, if he didn't get the feedback he was hoping for, transfer someplace where he could play the point, which he considers his best position. He obviously wasn't going to play the point at KU with Dotson there. So what exactly do you think KU should do in that situation? Not recruit someone to replace a guy who was all but certain not to come back?
You obviously don't know the whole story.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:53 PM   #22
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
You obviously don't know the whole story.
Sure thing. I guess you know it well but just don't want to lower yourself by enlightening the rest of us.