ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 05-24-2019, 06:39 AM   #3951
skyvue
Elite Eight

Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt City Sooner View Post
Just a heads up: I don’t know if it’s right or not, but my viewing guide is now saying the game is on ESPN 2, not U.
That's what it says on soonersports.com, too.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:54 AM   #3952
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Direct TV guide confirms they are showing the game on ESPN2 at 2PM Friday. Channel 208.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:20 AM   #3953
SuperHoops
Role Player

OSU got game 1 against FSU last night, 3-1 in 9 innings.
SuperHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:31 AM   #3954
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

OSU pitcher retired the last 18 batters she faced. Really an outstanding pitching job against one of the top hitting teams in the country. The 'noles have 7 hitters who have hit 10+ home runs.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:54 AM   #3955
TulsaWorld
Walk-on

From Eric Bailey: 'Gritty' Sooners prepared for NCAA Super Regional pairing with Northwestern

Quote:
NORMAN — Oklahoma had celebrated 41 consecutive victories and then, all of a sudden, the Sooners were one loss from seeing their softball season come to an end.

But OU survived last weekend’s NCAA Norman Regional elimination game against Wisconsin.

“We’re gritty,” OU ace pitcher Giselle Juarez said. “We fight with our backs against the wall. Playing for each other and having more fun within the game is really important to us. I think that’s what kind of played into that last game. We had more fun and we were being resilient.”

On Friday, the Sooners will begin a best-of-3 Super Regional series against Northwestern. Games are scheduled for 2 p.m. Friday, 3 p.m. Saturday and, if necessary, 1 p.m. Sunday.

The winner will advance to the Women’s College World Series, which is played May 30-June 5 at USA Softball Hall of Fame Stadium in Oklahoma City.

Oklahoma is 52-3, but that third loss — 2-1 to Wisconsin — was an important teaching moment.

“It’s something we’ve kind of talked about. I think we needed that game. It sucks at the time, but I think it just sets our mindset and takes us to another level a little bit,” senior infielder Caleigh Clifton said. “We kind of talked about not taking anything for granted anymore. Not just coasting. To get to a new level. So I think that was important for us.”
Old 05-24-2019, 09:56 AM   #3956
sybarite
National Champion

I think OSU is this good. They impressed me with their defense, which no Big Twelve team has done recently. While Show isn't a top five pitcher, she is good enough to keep a lot of teams down by letting them hit into her defense. They do have some bats, and they have played some good teams on their home fields. I thought they were a lot better than Texas.
sybarite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:19 AM   #3957
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
I think OSU is this good. They impressed me with their defense, which no Big Twelve team has done recently. While Show isn't a top five pitcher, she is good enough to keep a lot of teams down by letting them hit into her defense. They do have some bats, and they have played some good teams on their home fields. I thought they were a lot better than Texas.
+1. Much more complete team than is Texas. But Texas is stronger in the circle which tends to level the playing field. JMHO.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 05-24-2019 at 10:36 AM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:47 PM   #3958
skyvue
Elite Eight

Good hardfought game today. Nice to see the seniors step up to secure the victory. Nice win all around.

Last edited by skyvue; 05-25-2019 at 12:50 PM.
skyvue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:48 PM   #3959
sybarite
National Champion

OSU eliminated the defending national champions on their home field, 3-2. In my last ratings, I had OSU up to #7, ahead of Texas, probably the only person who had them in the top ten. They hadn't even played OU yet, and they really impressed me in that series. What did they pull off?----five double plays? They lack a super-ace, but they are good, very good. They are the first in the CWS.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:16 PM   #3960
ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms
Role Player

Quote:
OSU eliminated the defending national champions on their home field, 3-2. In my last ratings, I had OSU up to #7, ahead of Texas, probably the only person who had them in the top ten. They hadn't even played OU yet, and they really impressed me in that series. What did they pull off?----five double plays? They lack a super-ace, but they are good, very good. They are the first in the CWS.

Admittedly I haven’t followed softball closely, but is this the first time the OSU softball team has been relevant since Lauren Bay in the early 2000s?
ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 01:27 PM   #3961
sybarite
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms View Post
Admittedly I haven’t followed softball closely, but is this the first time the OSU softball team has been relevant since Lauren Bay in the early 2000s?
I think it is their first good team since 2011 (Super-Regionals). Had a great player in Vanessa Shipley recently. Think she was twice POY Big Twelve. Haven't been great in the Big Twelve, were in the Big Eight.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:11 PM   #3962
skyvue
Elite Eight

Mr. PC here to report that, once again, a call that would readily have been overturned (corrected, rather) if video review were in place went against OU. That's four in the tourney so far. Today, the Sooners got robbed of a run and an out on a terrible call in the third inningl.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:17 PM   #3963
Eielson
All-Conference

That was one of the most beautiful plays I've ever seen. NW played it perfectly, and we still managed to score. Too bad they blew the call. Hopefully it doesn't matter.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 04:52 PM   #3964
skyvue
Elite Eight

What a great win. The Sooners hit more homers this season than any team in program history and Romero, with her two-bagger in the seventh, set the program record for career doubles. A terrific victory all the way around.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:21 AM   #3965
Eielson
All-Conference

Softball diehards,

How does this team compare to our recent teams? We've been spoiled with some loaded teams, but this team seems special even compared to the absurdly high expectations. Obviously we have a lot of work to do to win it all, and I'm certainly not trying to count any eggs before their hatched, but how does this team compare to 2013 (to this point)? Obviously 2013 has a huge advantage since they were NCAA champs.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:11 AM   #3966
sybarite
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
Softball diehards,

How does this team compare to our recent teams? We've been spoiled with some loaded teams, but this team seems special even compared to the absurdly high expectations. Obviously we have a lot of work to do to win it all, and I'm certainly not trying to count any eggs before their hatched, but how does this team compare to 2013 (to this point)? Obviously 2013 has a huge advantage since they were NCAA champs.
You don't really know until you see how they do in that situation. In the key game of the 2013 series, we didn't score for the first ten innings. Shelby Pendley, Georgia Casey, and Jessica Shults had done nothing. Tennessee scored three in the top of the eleventh, and we were dead meat.

Bottom of 11th:

Pendley struck out
Ricketts doubled (Pop fly that dropped?)
Williams doubled, Ricketts scored
Shults grounded to first---we're done, two outs, good hitters not hitting
Martinez tripled to left center, Simpson (running for Williams) scored
Parsons doubled to left center, Martinez tied it.

So, the bottom of the order had enabled us to tie it.

Bottom of the 12th

Turang (#9 hitter) doubled down LF line, Chamberlain homered to left.

The bottom of the batting order had triggered it.

The next night, Gascoigne throws a three-hit shutout, a surprise, and Ricketts drives in all four OU runs with a three-run HR and a grounder to score Chamberlain who had tripled.

So, you had great pitching performances, and the bottom of the batting order came alive when the Pendley's weren't doing anything.

Someone has to step up other than your stars, and you need two great pitching performances back to back in the championship series. If you could count on Mendes, Elam, or Ryan getting a couple of key hits each, you kind of expect something out of your top five. You don't expect them to draw a blank. In 2016 and 2017, it was Romero and, especially, Shay that came to the front and got really big hits. They might strike out three times, only to hit a three-run HR in the tenth.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:21 PM   #3967
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
You don't really know until you see how they do in that situation. In the key game of the 2013 series, we didn't score for the first ten innings. Shelby Pendley, Georgia Casey, and Jessica Shults had done nothing. Tennessee scored three in the top of the eleventh, and we were dead meat.

Bottom of 11th:

Pendley struck out
Ricketts doubled (Pop fly that dropped?)
Williams doubled, Ricketts scored
Shults grounded to first---we're done, two outs, good hitters not hitting
Martinez tripled to left center, Simpson (running for Williams) scored
Parsons doubled to left center, Martinez tied it.

So, the bottom of the order had enabled us to tie it.

Bottom of the 12th

Turang (#9 hitter) doubled down LF line, Chamberlain homered to left.

The bottom of the batting order had triggered it.

The next night, Gascoigne throws a three-hit shutout, a surprise, and Ricketts drives in all four OU runs with a three-run HR and a grounder to score Chamberlain who had tripled.

So, you had great pitching performances, and the bottom of the batting order came alive when the Pendley's weren't doing anything.

Someone has to step up other than your stars, and you need two great pitching performances back to back in the championship series. If you could count on Mendes, Elam, or Ryan getting a couple of key hits each, you kind of expect something out of your top five. You don't expect them to draw a blank. In 2016 and 2017, it was Romero and, especially, Shay that came to the front and got really big hits. They might strike out three times, only to hit a three-run HR in the tenth.
What you say is very true but the bottom of the order in 2013 were excellent hitters with the objective of the bottom of the batting order in 2013 was massively different than 2019's bottom of the order. Martinez and Turang were true classic slap hitters whose primary mission was getting on base to be driven in by Chamberlain. And they were excellent at getting the job done. Elam and Lyons classic swing away hitters with some power.

Turang hit .404 and Martinez .342. Elam is hitting .287 and Lyons .262. Turang and Martinez scored 80 runs between them to date Elam and Lyons have scored 47 runs. Turang and Martinez were the driving force in Chamberlain having 84 RBI's. Something Patty has been trying to replicate every since while trying to make Kelsey Arnold and Nicole Mendes slap hitters for the #9 hole.

Turang and Martinez producing against Tennessee was not really a surprise it was more their modus operandi.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:40 PM   #3968
Salt City Sooner
Role Player

Kelly Crowhop & the Gators fill the last spot; walked off vs. Tennessee in the 8th.

-John Wooden-
Salt City Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:22 PM   #3969
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
Softball diehards,

Provided this years team wins the WCWS they will be considered one on the greatest teams of all time like the 2013 team. The big argument in their favor will be their national statistical rankings where they lead the nation in batting average, ERA, fielding %, OB%, SLG%, HR/G, scoring, winning% and strikeout-to-walk ratio. Personally if they win it all I think they will be the best OU team of all time. JMHO.

In 2013 the team lead the nation in ERA, scoring, SLG%, winning%.

https://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?spor...WSB&division=1

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 05-26-2019 at 03:30 PM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:51 AM   #3970
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

For those concerned with OU playing in prime time if OU stays in the winners bracket every game they play will be prime time except for the 2:30 pm Sunday game. Difficult to be disappointed with that schedule unless staying up until 10:30-11:00 pm is a problem.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/softball/a...-2019-schedule
Old 05-27-2019, 01:38 PM   #3971
scrybe
All-American

This is truly a first in the entire history of ouhoops: I agreed with Spock twice in a span of just over one hour.

First: Turang was not your typical No. 9 hitter. She had a very high batting average, blazing speed and would have been hitting leadoff for just about any coach not named Gasso.

Second: If the 2019 Sooners do win the WCWS (BIG if), they will undoubtedly be remembered as the greatest OU team in the history of the program. It's for all the reasons Spock pointed out – plus, if they go through the series without another loss, I believe they'll have the best won-loss record, percentage-wise, of all OU teams.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:05 AM   #3972
Soonerguy06
Role Player

How does everyone feel about our bracket at the WCWS?

From what I know about Alabama, they are a dangerous first game, however looking at our entire bracket I have a good feeling we can make it through to the final series. The 2 teams I was worried about us match-up wise are in the other bracket (UCLA & Washington). Based off of our results I think we can go 3-0, BUT this is an entire new season at this point, and our loss to Wisconsin has really rattled my view that this team was invincible.

I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts?? Anyone know about the odds??

I read one article going into the Super Regionals that had us rated #2 now behind James Madision (espn), which was WAY off!
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:44 AM   #3973
TulsaWorld
Walk-on

Most recent articles from Eric Bailey...

Quote:
NORMAN — Red panels — located on the outfield wall of Oklahoma’s Marita Hynes Field — display the years that the Sooners softball program advanced to the Women’s College World Series.

Before fall practices on crisp, cool days or during games in the spring under the blazing sun, OU players make a point of tapping the red protective panel, reminding them where the year “2019” would be added to the list.

Shortly after defeating Northwestern 8-0 Saturday afternoon to claim a berth in this year’s WCWS, the Sooners removed a blank panel off the right-field wall and carried it above their heads to home plate, where it was ceremoniously dropped.

When asked why they did that, senior Sydney Romero couldn’t immediately come up with an answer before saying, “It’s just tradition,” and then bursting into laughter.

To not know the origin isn’t the worst thing. OU seems so used to making the WCWS — eight of the past nine seasons — that some things just seem normal.

“It was Keilani Ricketts and that group that went out there and lifted it off and Keilani was holding it, pretty much on her own because nobody else could reach that high up,” OU coach Patti Gasso explained. “And they all just kind of dropped it at home plate. That was back in, I think, 2012. And it just has taken (off). Every day before practice, they touch that panel before we start. So, in a sense of saying, ‘This is where we want our spot to be.’ ”
Link

Quote:
Bedlam schools will take center stage at the Women’s College World Series.

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will play in the evening session of Thursday’s opening day of the WCWS, which will be played at Oklahoma City’s USA Softball Hall of Fame Stadium.

Oklahoma State will play Florida at 6 p.m. That contest will be followed by Oklahoma-Alabama at approximately 8:30 p.m. Both games will be on ESPN2.

It’s the first time since 2011 that both schools have advanced to the WCWS in the same year.

“Coach (Kenny) Gajewski has done a great job with his team and I think it’s going to be a blast,” OU coach Patty Gasso said on Saturday. “If you’re living in Oklahoma right now, you are going to have a blast. Both your teams advance and it’s in Oklahoma City. It’s going to be fun.”
Link
Old 05-28-2019, 12:40 PM   #3974
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerguy06 View Post
How does everyone feel about our bracket at the WCWS?

From what I know about Alabama, they are a dangerous first game, however looking at our entire bracket I have a good feeling we can make it through to the final series. The 2 teams I was worried about us match-up wise are in the other bracket (UCLA & Washington). Based off of our results I think we can go 3-0, BUT this is an entire new season at this point, and our loss to Wisconsin has really rattled my view that this team was invincible.

I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts?? Anyone know about the odds??

I read one article going into the Super Regionals that had us rated #2 now behind James Madision (espn), which was WAY off!
If I were to rank the teams 1-8 I would select #1 OU, #2 UCLA, #3 WA, #4 AZ, #5 AL, #6 MN, #7 OSU and #8 FL. AZ won 2 of 3 from UCLA, UCLA swept WA and WA swept AZ. But of the 8 teams in the WCWS UCLA ranks #2 in BA, ERA & scoring so I give them the edge in the other half of the bracket from OU.

I think OU beats AL, OSU and loser of WA/UCLA in the loser's bracket playing the winner of WA/UCLA in the finals.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:18 PM   #3975
Soonerguy06
Role Player

I agree with this!! Fingers crossed we are both correct. Can't wait for the first game, 2 days left!!
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote