ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 05-13-2020, 11:17 AM   #1
kimard
Walk-on

Default Courtney's Back

Dunno why though. The women's basketball Twitter account just put out these posts.

https://twitter.com/OU_WBBall/status...17049212149761

https://twitter.com/OU_WBBall/status...19566327033856
kimard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:35 AM   #2
thewez
Walk-on

Default Re: Courtney's Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimard View Post
Dunno why though. The women's basketball Twitter account just put out these posts.

https://twitter.com/OU_WBBall/status...17049212149761

https://twitter.com/OU_WBBall/status...19566327033856
Assistant coach, right?
thewez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:36 AM   #3
kimard
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewez View Post
Assistant coach, right?
Yes, just posted.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:40 AM   #4
thewez
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimard View Post
Yes, just posted.
Gotcha. I saw the video they posted and assumed that was on of the links you put. I realize now they were teasing it
thewez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:43 AM   #5
MsProudSooner
National Champion

I hope that means she's not going to play basketball in Turkey any more. That never seemed like a safe place for her to be, imo.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:43 AM   #6
kimard
Walk-on

She's replacing Coquese Washington.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:46 AM   #7
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Washington apparently up and quit. No idea whether she had a job or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:46 AM   #8
TheMont
Role Player

Wow! This is unexpected but great news. Welcome back, Courtney!

The article on SoonerSports says she's replacing Coquese Washington. Anyone know what happened or where Washington is going?
TheMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:25 PM   #9
soonerstar
All-Conference

Washington was associate head coach. Jr. will probably take that title and a big raise.
soonerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:51 PM   #10
Mac
Administrator

Iím glad to se CP back at Ou... Iím guessing Washington is headed back to ND

https://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=...medium=twitter
Old 05-13-2020, 01:13 PM   #11
jmizzy4ou
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Iím glad to se CP back at Ou... Iím guessing Washington is headed back to ND

https://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=...medium=twitter
Correct
jmizzy4ou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:36 PM   #12
sooner8693
Walk-on

SC's baby boy should have been the one to hit the pavement. As is, he will likely be promoted to associate head coach and get a substantial pay increase. It never ends with SC and her plan for him to become head coach next. SMH
sooner8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:42 PM   #13
Speedy17
Role Player

No coaching experience but she should be able to teach people to post up on the block. Hope she is not in charge of conditioning.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:29 PM   #14
betterstill
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy17 View Post
No coaching experience but she should be able to teach people to post up on the block. Hope she is not in charge of conditioning.

Go get us a center, Courtney!
betterstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:31 PM   #15
CoachTalk
National Champion

Don’t you guys get tired of the coale and son jabs.

Jesus Paris just got hired and another thread hijacked.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:39 PM   #16
cjhsooner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Donít you guys get tired of the coale and son jabs.

And not by me!

On topic, I like the hire! CP3 (OU style) was hugely influential in keeping OU relevant in the late 2000's. Hopefully she is able to come in and hit the ground running to get some bigs.
cjhsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:56 PM   #17
sooner8693
Walk-on

Quote:

No, they deserve them all.
sooner8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:00 PM   #18
betterstill
Walk-on

Quote:

It doesn't bother me. It is like the Mike Stoops situation. Just won't go away.

The thread is double hijacked now because we are discussing whether we post about the son too much. To me it seems like legitimate speculation that he might be promoted since Washington left.

Anyone who wants to direct the discussion back to Courtney can do so at any time. If they have something to say that piques the interest of other posters no doubt they will respond.
betterstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:23 PM   #19
BigTime
The Red Wig

And just like that, SoonerBay becomes an OU womenís basketball fan again.

Welcome back, Courtney!

SLAAAAAAAAAAAAM!
-BBS
BigTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:46 PM   #20
rocjunkie
Sweet 16

I like the hire, it shows that Courtney and Sherri have a good relationship. I think with her playing for different coaches over seas as well as the WNBA, she brings something to the table.

Courtney had really good feet in the box and used her body well. I think she will be helpful to future and present post players. I hope she has freedom to recruit outstanding post players that she sees can help the Sooners.

Welcome back Courtney.
rocjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 02:18 AM   #21
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Don’t you guys get tired of the coale and son jabs.

CoachTalk,

I defend coaches left and right when they struggle. You know that from my defense of Lon Kruger. However, Sherri stopped doing what was necessary to win a long time ago and has continued a steady decline. You let Lincoln Riley have a couple of losing seasons and he will be out the door. Right now, Sherri is the worst coach at OU in any women's sport. She is light years behind Patty Gasso and K. J. Kindler. Lindsay Gray-Walton is going to be special in Volleyball. Mark Carr and the soccer staff is going to be special.

I could defend the nepotism when Lon Kruger hired his son. The difference is that he was a great college player with pro playing experience. I am fine with Patty Gasso's son coaching because she didn't hire him until he had a successful track record as a hitting coach at Purdue and Michigan State. However, Colton Coale had no experience what so ever - playing or coaching. He was a men's practice player and a radio announcer with Sherri's team. I am not surprised that Washington left (even though it was her alma mater) because Colton is the person sitting by Sherri on the bench every game. It will be the same this coming basketball season.

You have to remember that OU has gone 20-40 overall and 9-27 in Big 12 play in the last two years. OU has not recruited top players in a long time. The crowds have dwindled to the level of when the program was shut down in 1990 (6 years before Sherri arrived). Just think, they averaged over 8000 a game when Courtney was playing. She is going to be stunned at the empty arena. They ended the home schedule by giving up 100+ to Texas Tech in the Lloyd Noble in March. Honestly, it is very difficult to watch. Her teams turnover the ball more than any college basketball team that I have seen. They they don't play defense and are always undersized. Sherri got all 15 scholarships endowed years ago but she has NEVER had a team that used the entire allotment. If Lon Kruger did that you would be going crazy. The irony is that every year, there is an injury or two and lack of depth appears.

Texas just let a coach go that has gone to the NCAA virtually every season and averaged 20+ wins a year (creaming Sherri's team virtually every game) to hire Vic Schaefer (the best defensive coach in the country from Miss State). Kim Mulkey is not going anywhere. OU is real close to last place in the Big 12. OU jumped out on the Bears in Norman 15-4 before Baylor went on a 29-0 run. I can't imagine OU beating Baylor ever again under Sherri's leadership.

Everybody on this board loves Courtney Paris. She is probably the best OU women's basketball player ever with only competition from Stacey Dales. However, Courtney does not have any coaching experience. I am absolutely supportive of Courtney and hope that she can recruit some great post players to OU.

Last edited by Speedy17; 05-14-2020 at 02:22 AM.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:28 AM   #22
Soonerbay
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTime View Post
And just like that, SoonerBay becomes an OU womenís basketball fan again.

Welcome back, Courtney!
Fan? Not unless she is suiting up!

She will surely be able to help with the development of post players. She and her twin were always cordial, great teammates and well liked people...charismatic like in their bay area days, so maybe it will translate into some great recruiting. Time will tell. I'm cautiously optimistic. She's an "assistant".

Hopefully she will rebuild relationships in OK and CA, and get some top 25 recruits interested. She'll surely be able to get their attention. Let's hope they'll be offered and signed. She has a wealth of experience, and a great personality that could help. And...she's a winner. Again...time will tell.
Soonerbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:29 AM   #23
Soonerbay
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocjunkie View Post
I like the hire, it shows that Courtney and Sherri have a good relationship. I think with her playing for different coaches over seas as well as the WNBA, she brings something to the table.

Courtney had really good feet in the box and used her body well. I think she will be helpful to future and present post players. I hope she has freedom to recruit outstanding post players that she sees can help the Sooners.

Welcome back Courtney.
+1
Old 05-14-2020, 07:43 AM   #24
Soonerbay
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy17 View Post
CoachTalk,

I defend coaches left and right when they struggle. You know that from my defense of Lon Kruger. However, Sherri stopped doing what was necessary to win a long time ago and has continued a steady decline. You let Lincoln Riley have a couple of losing seasons and he will be out the door. Right now, Sherri is the worst coach at OU in any women's sport. She is light years behind Patty Gasso and K. J. Kindler. Lindsay Gray-Walton is going to be special in Volleyball. Mark Carr and the soccer staff is going to be special.

I could defend the nepotism when Lon Kruger hired his son. The difference is that he was a great college player with pro playing experience. I am fine with Patty Gasso's son coaching because she didn't hire him until he had a successful track record as a hitting coach at Purdue and Michigan State. However, Colton Coale had no experience what so ever - playing or coaching. He was a men's practice player and a radio announcer with Sherri's team. I am not surprised that Washington left (even though it was her alma mater) because Colton is the person sitting by Sherri on the bench every game. It will be the same this coming basketball season.

You have to remember that OU has gone 20-40 overall and 9-27 in Big 12 play in the last two years. OU has not recruited top players in a long time. The crowds have dwindled to the level of when the program was shut down in 1990 (6 years before Sherri arrived). Just think, they averaged over 8000 a game when Courtney was playing. She is going to be stunned at the empty arena. They ended the home schedule by giving up 100+ to Texas Tech in the Lloyd Noble in March. Honestly, it is very difficult to watch. Her teams turnover the ball more than any college basketball team that I have seen. They they don't play defense and are always undersized. Sherri got all 15 scholarships endowed years ago but she has NEVER had a team that used the entire allotment. If Lon Kruger did that you would be going crazy. The irony is that every year, there is an injury or two and lack of depth appears.

Texas just let a coach go that has gone to the NCAA virtually every season and averaged 20+ wins a year (creaming Sherri's team virtually every game) to hire Vic Schaefer (the best defensive coach in the country from Miss State). Kim Mulkey is not going anywhere. OU is real close to last place in the Big 12. OU jumped out on the Bears in Norman 15-4 before Baylor went on a 29-0 run. I can't imagine OU beating Baylor ever again under Sherri's leadership.

Everybody on this board loves Courtney Paris. She is probably the best OU women's basketball player ever with only competition from Stacey Dales. However, Courtney does not have any coaching experience. I am absolutely supportive of Courtney and hope that she can recruit some great post players to OU.
Agree 100%. I think one of CParis' strengths as an assistant will be her ability to teach/coach/develop post players. AOlajuwon practiced against her everyday and with limited minutes of real game time, she was able to help get them back to the FF the very next year after CParis left. She also has a great personality...really approachable and likeable. If she can get some top 10 players to take the chance that she, her sister, AThompson, AOlajuwon took to give the team a strong foundation to build from, then there is hope. I have no doubt that she can get top recruits on the phone and agree to a visit (whenever that can happen). What player wouldn't want to chat with her?...but will the "head coach" want to offer and sign. Time will tell.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:19 AM   #25
mikeareese
Role Player

I love it. Bigs should be interested. Hopefully, Coale lets them recruit and get the players they want. Also, lets Courtney have some free reign in coaching bigs. I think this is a big move for Coale to bring OU back. I have high hopes for the future now.
mikeareese is offline   Reply With Quote