ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2020, 09:26 AM   #1
cowboysooner
Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,071
Default New Commit and Transfer from Portal

Just read on another site, that Skyler Vann has signed with OU. Anyone know anything about her. Also, it was mentioned that we are about to get a center from the transfer portal. Who might that be? Anyone have any idea.
cowboysooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:16 AM   #2
Salt City Sooner
Role Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 566
Default Re: New Commit and Transfer from Portal

Thatís Bryattís daughter. Hopefully sheís a chip off the olí block.
__________________
" I believe that the pat on the back is one of the greatest motivating factors we have. Of course, occasionally, that pat has to be a little lower & a little harder."

-John Wooden-
Salt City Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:31 AM   #3
MsProudSooner
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,883
Default Re: New Commit and Transfer from Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt City Sooner View Post
Thatís Bryattís daughter. Hopefully sheís a chip off the olí block.
Who is Bryatt?
__________________
The pessimist may be right in the long run, but the optimist has a better time during the trip.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:09 AM   #4
threepointshooter
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 140
Default Re: New Commit and Transfer from Portal

She had announced her commitment to Temple on Monday:

https://twitter.com/skyvannatic/stat...478053890?s=12
threepointshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:21 AM   #5
Rbeam1
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 203
Default Re: New Commit and Transfer from Portal

I checked her Twitter and can't find that tweet. Would be interesting if she did sign with us.
Rbeam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:27 AM   #6
Salt City Sooner
Role Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 566
Default Re: New Commit and Transfer from Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
Who is Bryatt?
http://www.soonerstats.com/basketbal...m?playerid=396
__________________
" I believe that the pat on the back is one of the greatest motivating factors we have. Of course, occasionally, that pat has to be a little lower & a little harder."

-John Wooden-
Salt City Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:58 AM   #7
Soonercuda
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,818
Default Re: New Commit and Transfer from Portal

A highlight video of Skylar

https://youtu.be/BNpJF30ZbxE
Soonercuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 12:22 PM   #8
NAIA All-Star
All-American
 
NAIA All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 2,568
Default Re: New Commit and Transfer from Portal

NAIA All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 12:52 PM   #9
Day1SoonerFan
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Norman
Posts: 19
Default Re: New Commit and Transfer from Portal

Wow!!! Great pickup!!! I never knew we offered her.
Day1SoonerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:18 PM   #10
OUALUMinTX
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 202
Default Re: New Commit and Transfer from Portal

From the Daily Oklahoman article it sounded like she wanted to stay close to home, but hadnít been given the opportunity until now. That makes me think we just offered.
OUALUMinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:43 PM   #11
Day1SoonerFan
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Norman
Posts: 19
Default Re: New Commit and Transfer from Portal

Ok thanks! Now hopefully Sherri offers the rest of the top players in the state.
Day1SoonerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 03:24 AM   #12
Mac
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: bay area ca
Posts: 3,629
Default Re: New Commit and Transfer from Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUALUMinTX View Post
From the Daily Oklahoman article it sounded like she wanted to stay close to home, but hadnít been given the opportunity until now. That makes me think we just offered.
Itís not necessary a bad thing... she looks more like a high level player then Greer. Iím not sure how many minutes she will get since she looks like a undersized 4 at the moment, it looks like she has descent athleticism, but she will be playing behind both Madi and Liz, also it looks like she will play the same position as Moore and Embry in college a 4/3 combo forward... if either commits she could find minutes hard to come by.
__________________
ďThe area you recruit from often has to do with the level your program has reached,Ē said Auriemma
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:06 AM   #13
Day1SoonerFan
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Norman
Posts: 19
Default Re: New Commit and Transfer from Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Itís not necessary a bad thing... she looks more like a high level player then Greer. Iím not sure how many minutes she will get since she looks like a undersized 4 at the moment, it looks like she has descent athleticism, but she will be playing behind both Madi and Liz, also it looks like she will play the same position as Moore and Embry in college a 4/3 combo forward... if either commits she could find minutes hard to come by.
I just donít see Moore choosing OU over South Carolina. I pray that Iím wrong, but if she wants to develop into a great Pro Prospect then I think she will choose South Carolina. And as far as Embry, I wish she would commit but I donít think she will because from what I understand she still doesnít have an offer from us. I donít know what Sherri is waiting on, but she needs to hurry up and offer her before itís too late. In my opinion, I think that bridge is already burnt.
Day1SoonerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:24 PM   #14
tooney
Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,301
Default Re: New Commit and Transfer from Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonercuda View Post
A highlight video of Skylar

https://youtu.be/BNpJF30ZbxE
I liked the looks of her.....until I saw she's only 6 feet tall.
__________________
I can't afford to hate people. I don't have that kind of time.
tooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 08:40 PM   #15
SKSooner
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 337
Default Re: New Commit and Transfer from Portal

Her ball handling and vision is outstanding. Looks like she can shoot it, too. Seems like a very versatile player!
SKSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 04:33 PM   #16
Soonerguy06
Role Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 703
Default Re: New Commit and Transfer from Portal

I agree, it seems like she's a steady player that could be good for us. Gioya Carter was an in-state commit nobody expected much from and she was probably the best player or one of the best players on the team the four years she was here. I'm not quite ready to give up on whether this girl will be good for us, just yet. She's the top 5 in the state, which says a lot with all the talent we have right now.
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:02 PM   #17
rocjunkie
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bethany, OK
Posts: 4,460
Default Re: New Commit and Transfer from Portal

Skylar reminds me a little of Sharane Campbell, a little undersized, but could score and was dependable. Skylar also is very good at pump faking, a lost art, and finishes at the glass very well, does not leave the ball short of the square. Good quick step on the drive. I am encouraged, but we shall see. Hopefully she will be one of those diamonds in the rough. Her pedigree is outstanding, comes from an Oklahoma family of really good athletes.
rocjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:33 AM   #18
vbdad
Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,084
Default Re: New Commit and Transfer from Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooney View Post
I liked the looks of her.....until I saw she's only 6 feet tall.
At least she isn't 5'7" like other commit last week.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:29 PM   #19
SoonerinNC
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,611
Default Re: New Commit and Transfer from Portal

Doesn't matter who we recruit.

Likely starting five is Simpson, Maddie, Ana, Taylor and Gregory.

And we get killed by all the teams with at least a decent inside threat. Certain to be Baylor, Texas, Oklahoma State, and Kansas State. Don't know whether Brewer is back at Tech or who other than Okla State have recruited a big.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:46 PM   #20
soonerstar
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,786
Default Re: New Commit and Transfer from Portal

Also does not matter who we recruit if they do not play defense. OU lost 7 games last season when they scored 80+ points. 2 of those they lost, they scored 90+ points. Coale says she is stressing defense every season when they start practice. I think she is just blowing smoke like she does on everything else,
soonerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 01:52 PM   #21
betterstill
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 150
Default Re: New Commit and Transfer from Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerstar View Post
Also does not matter who we recruit if they do not play defense. OU lost 7 games last season when they scored 80+ points. 2 of those they lost, they scored 90+ points. Coale says she is stressing defense every season when they start practice. I think she is just blowing smoke like she does on everything else,
Oh good. Problem solved. Just stress defense and we can have a big turnaround.
betterstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:18 PM   #22
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16
 
Oliver Hardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,692
Default

I know she hasnít stressed defense in practice for years and only started paying a bit of attention to it about 2 years ago. She wouldnít even practice defense!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 03:43 PM   #23
OUDallas66
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 59
Default Re: New Commit and Transfer from Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Hardy View Post
I know she hasn’t stressed defense in practice for years and only started paying a bit of attention to it about 2 years ago. She wouldn’t even practice defense!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kim Mulkey spends at least 50% of practice time on defense, now with Vic Schaefer at Texas they will also.

In most games you will spend 50% of the time on defense, why not practice it?

Last edited by OUDallas66; 04-20-2020 at 03:46 PM.
OUDallas66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:39 AM   #24
Soonerbay
Role Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 975
Default Re: New Commit and Transfer from Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUDallas66 View Post
Kim Mulkey spends at least 50% of practice time on defense, now with Vic Schaefer at Texas they will also.

In most games you will spend 50% of the time on defense, why not practice it?
Mulkey, Schaefer and most every DI WBB coach is doing MANY things that has escaped the mindset of SC, or it was never there. Let's start with camps. Of course there are not any camps right now due to the COVID-19 issues, but SC/OU WBB has not had a camp in about 10 years. Then again, it's understandable. Most coaches use the camps as a preview of whats to come and build relationships early while teaching fundamentals of the game. It also has been additional income for the assistants and camp "coaches" (current players, former players and high school coaches). Clearly, her assistants don't need any additional income and if they do...I guess they could get a loan from SC. As the kids say..."She's got plenty of coins!"
Soonerbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:50 AM   #25
OUDallas66
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 59
Default Re: New Commit and Transfer from Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerbay View Post
Mulkey, Schaefer and most every DI WBB coach is doing MANY things that has escaped the mindset of SC, or it was never there. Let's start with camps. Of course there are not any camps right now due to the COVID-19 issues, but SC/OU WBB has not had a camp in about 10 years. Then again, it's understandable. Most coaches use the camps as a preview of whats to come and build relationships early while teaching fundamentals of the game. It also has been additional income for the assistants and camp "coaches" (current players, former players and high school coaches). Clearly, her assistants don't need any additional income and if they do...I guess they could get a loan from SC. As the kids say..."She's got plenty of coins!"
You are right on, I agree 100%. Does Joe C. have a vision problem, there must be a good Eye Doctor in Norman. My season tickets after many, many years are not going to be renewed. I am voting with my wallet. Does Joe C. care, apparently not. My interest and my money will be renewed in OU WBB when our AD wakes up.

Last edited by OUDallas66; 04-21-2020 at 09:55 AM.
OUDallas66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com