ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 05-17-2019, 06:09 PM   #26
Eielson
Starter

Default Re: Crutchfield to Arkansas(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
Horse hocky. Is the women's program responsible for the national debt and global warming, as well?
What TINY said was a verifiable fact. Calling it out for sexism is pathetic.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:26 PM   #27
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
I did not call it out for sexism. I called it out for being illogical.

According to a previous post, he wanted to be named 'head coach in waiting' but, as we all know OU doesn't do that, in any sport.

Someone insinuated that we didn't give him a big enough raise but that's just conjecture.

And even if we didn't offer him as big a raise as Arkansas, no one on this board would know why.

Illogical.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:10 PM   #28
Eielson
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
I did not call it out for sexism. I called it out for being illogical.

According to a previous post, he wanted to be named 'head coach in waiting' but, as we all know OU doesn't do that, in any sport.

Someone insinuated that we didn't give him a big enough raise but that's just conjecture.

And even if we didn't offer him as big a raise as Arkansas, no one on this board would know why.

Illogical.
Women's basketball is losing money. Money was partially a contributing factor, so it's pretty simple logic.

Illogical is accepting the HC in waiting post as true and the raise as just conjecture, despite the fact that both pieces of information came from the same source.

Illogical is also claiming OU doesn't do the HC in waiting thing in any sport despite the fact that we just did it with Lincoln Riley.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:25 PM   #29
euphguy
Starter

Quote:
When did she suggest sexism? I didn't see that at all.
euphguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:58 PM   #30
SoonerTraveler
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphguy View Post
When did she suggest sexism? I didn't see that at all.
Agree. I reread all the comments and nowhere do I read about sexism from MsProud's comments.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:25 PM   #31
sooner333
Role Player

Quote:
Illogical is also claiming OU doesn't do the HC in waiting thing in any sport despite the fact that we just did it with Lincoln Riley.

Iím pretty sure Riley was never a head coach in waiting. Bob retired in the summer and they just skipped the interim tag.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:13 PM   #32
Seymore Cox
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhsooner View Post
Bye, Bryce Thompson. We hardly knew ye.
OU looking at Pooh Williamson of Miami. He ha strong ties to family.

Last edited by Seymore Cox; 05-18-2019 at 04:33 AM.
Seymore Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:03 PM   #33
TINY
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore Cox View Post
OU looking at Pooh Williamson of Miami. He hassteong ties to family.
That would be a strong hire regardless of ties to BT. Really hope we can land him.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:57 PM   #34
Eielson
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
Iím pretty sure Riley was never a head coach in waiting. Bob retired in the summer and they just skipped the interim tag.
Wasn't ever a public thing, but he was aware the job was his when the time came.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:54 AM   #35
vbdad
Role Player

The administration was unwilling to match his contract. It was around 40K more per year.

Hollis Price is a possibility to replace him. Not nearly as much experience as Crutch but would be a great fit.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:42 AM   #36
Seymore Cox
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbdad View Post
The administration was unwilling to match his contract. It was around 40K more per year.

Hollis Price is a possibility to replace him. Not nearly as much experience as Crutch but would be a great fit.
$125k raise at Arkansas. Would have stayed if he were to be considered head coach in waiting. Obviously Kruger has 2 years or less remaining to coach. So there is your answer.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:29 AM   #37
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Then that part makes me angry. If one of the other assistants got an offer and Joe C. was unwilling to match, I'm fine with it, but Crutch is clearly our most important assistant at present, especially in the area of recruiting.
I have to think that if Kruger wanted Joe C. to match the Arkansas offer Joe C. would have matched the offer. Assuming it was not outrageously high.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:36 AM   #38
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Women's basketball is losing money. Money was partially a contributing factor, so it's pretty simple logic.

Illogical is accepting the HC in waiting post as true and the raise as just conjecture, despite the fact that both pieces of information came from the same source.

Lincoln Riley never held the head coach in waiting title. No one except those deep in the program had any inkling of Bob Stoops retiring until 24-48 hours before it was announced.

Designating someone as HC in waiting is to put it in a contract and creating a financial obligation which would be a bad business decision. Not a Joe C. practice.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:39 AM   #39
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Wasn't ever a public thing, but he was aware the job was his when the time came.
Not so. OU was fearful that he would take a head job elsewhere in 2017 and that may have impacted Stoops decision but that is something Eielson nor any other OU fan knows for fact. Just uninformed speculation by someone who knows little.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:05 AM   #40
AdaSooner
Administrator

Hollis Price or Pooh Williamson would be great hires! That would take some of the sting out of losing Crutchóat least for me.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:07 AM   #41
Seymore Cox
National Champion

Regardless for all the speculation about being a coach in waiting, what can't be denied is that OU, Joe C, Kruger, whoever, sent Crutchfield a message that you are not in the future plans.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:14 AM   #42
61sooner
Walk-on

Think the Head-Coach-in-Waiting is a terrible move in any sport.
61sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:21 AM   #43
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Regardless for all the speculation about being a coach in waiting, what can't be denied is that OU, Joe C, Kruger, whoever, sent Crutchfield a message that you are not in the future plans.
Based on what we know so far, I have to agree with you.

The assistant who played a major role in recruiting Buddy Hield and Trae Young as well as other key players the past few years deserved better than a wave goodbye as he walked out the door.

If we learn later there’s more to this story, I’ll be happy to apologize for a lowering of my opinion of Lon Kruger and for Joe C’s continuing lack of support for our basketball program. If Chris Crutchfield was an assistant on the football team, Joe C would have bent over backwards to keep him. Some things never change!

And, for the record, I’m not for naming Crutchfield as a coach in waiting. It’s that there doesn’t appear to be much of an effort to keep him on the coaching staff.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:24 AM   #44
Max Power
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
Based on what we know so far, I have to agree with you.

The assistant who played a major role in recruiting Buddy Hield and Trae Young as well as other key players the past few years deserved better than a wave goodbye as he walked out the door.

If we learn later thereís more to this story, Iíll be happy to apologize for a lowering of my opinion of Lon Kruger and for Joe Cís continuing lack of support for our basketball program. If Chris Crutchfield was an assistant on the football team, Joe C would have bent over backwards to keep him. Some things never change!
if the football team had the worst record in the big 12 over any 3 year period, everyone would be fired

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:25 AM   #45
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

So much wild speculation here. People claiming to know how long Lon will coach, claiming he didn't fight for Crutch, etc. Other than our trusted sources, I see no basis in fact for any of that.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:26 AM   #46
SoonerTraveler
Final Four

Quote:
And that is a good thing. When Coach Kruger does retire, his replacement should be someone far better than Coach Crutchfield.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:29 AM   #47
SoonerTraveler
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
if the football team had the worst record in the big 12 over any 3 year period, everyone would be fired
So true. I am just hopeful for a .500 conference basketball record next season, which would be a big improvement over the past 3 seasons.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:33 AM   #48
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
You would start with the man in charge of the decline and replace the assistants who failed to bring in the players necessary to improve your record, not the one who has been your best recruiter.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:40 AM   #49
Max Power
Elite Eight

Quote:
You would start with the man in charge of the decline and replace the assistants who failed to bring in the players necessary to improve your record, not the one who has been your best recruiter.
In 1999 Bob Stoops brought in all new coaches. Blake's best recruiter didn't get to stick around. So i don't think Crutchfield Earned more money.

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:42 AM   #50
SoonerTraveler
Final Four

Quote:
If he actually was OU's best recruiter, then maybe that explains why the OU basketball team had the worst record in the Big-12 over the past 3 years.

Lon has tremendous contacts throughout the industry. Go hire someone better.

Frankly, I am optimistic about this change in personnel. This is good news. Coach Kruger has the opportunity to upgrade the staff.