ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 04-29-2019, 11:09 AM   #1
thebigabd
National Champion

Default Chris Beard - 6 year extension at Texas Tech

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...year-extension
Old 04-29-2019, 11:13 AM   #2
WTSooner
National Champion

Default Re: Chris Beard - 6 year extension at Texas Tech

Don't really see him leaving unless UT or possibly a blue blood program come calling.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:48 AM   #3
AdaSooner
Administrator

If a big name school was interested in Beard, one would have thought they would go after him as soon as Tech exited the tourney instead of waiting until he was signed to a long term contract.

Maybe someone did and he turned them down. Although I can’t think of too many worse places to be than Lubbock, Beard may not feel that way. I’m sure he’s treated like a celebrity everywhere he goes these days.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:38 PM   #4
SoonerTraveler
Final Four

Quote:
Beard signed a six-year contract that will pay him $4.575 million annually, keeping him under contract through the 2024-25 season. His annual salary is now the fourth highest in the country, behind Kentucky's John Calipari, Duke's Mike Krzyzewski and Tennessee's Rick Barnes, according to USA Today's coaching salary database.
As a side note, it is quite amazing that Rick Barnes is the 3rd highest paid coach.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:57 PM   #5
Eielson
Starter

I can't imagine more than a handful of programs would be willing to pay much more than 5M/year for a coach like Beard, and most of those programs already have a guy (i.e. Kentucky). I thought UCLA was one of them, but even they're playing it cheap. Beard may not have maxed out his location/program, but I have to imagine he came pretty close to maximizing his earnings. He's closer to overpaid than underpaid when you consider he's making more than Self, Wright, and Izzo.

And for the record, I'm not saying this is a bad move on Tech's part, as they would have to pay a lot more than this to lure a guy like Self away from KU. It's just a lot of risk, and there's absolutely no hometown discount. If what I'm hearing is right about there only being a 3M buyout for non-Big XII teams looking to hire him, then that all but assures this deal will never be a bargain. I wonder what Tech's buyout is if he underperforms.

Last edited by Eielson; 04-29-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:22 PM   #6
Max Power
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
I can't imagine more than a handful of programs would be willing to pay much more than 5M/year for a coach like Beard, and most of those programs already have a guy (i.e. Kentucky). I thought UCLA was one of them, but even they're playing it cheap. Beard may not have maxed out his location/program, but I have to imagine he came pretty close to maximizing his earnings. He's closer to overpaid than underpaid when you consider he's making more than Self, Wright, and Izzo.

And for the record, I'm not saying this is a bad move on Tech's part, as they would have to pay a lot more than this to lure a guy like Self away from KU. It's just a lot of risk, and there's absolutely no hometown discount. If what I'm hearing is right about there only being a 3M buyout for non-Big XII teams looking to hire him, then that all but assures this deal will never be a bargain. I wonder what Tech's buyout is if he underperforms.
85% of the remaining total is what i read

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:25 PM   #7
Eielson
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
85% of the remaining total is what i read
Wow. He sure had his way with TT in this negotiation.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:58 PM   #8
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Quote:
Wow. He sure had his way with TT in this negotiation.
How is that surprising tho?

Manic Manek
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:03 AM   #9
StinkyPete43
Walk-on

Glad he’s staying in Lubbock. Good for the conference basketball wise. Gottlieb was on the sports animal the other day talking about how UCLA wasn’t really interested in him because he was to “Midwest” for them and didn’t fit their criteria.
StinkyPete43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:09 AM   #10
Eielson
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaustin View Post
How is that surprising tho?
Not too surprising, but with the years and money being right, I figured they'd at least get a large buyout. I knew he'd have the keys, but it looks like Tech lost every single negotiation.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:10 AM   #11
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyPete43 View Post
Glad he’s staying in Lubbock. Good for the conference basketball wise. Gottlieb was on the sports animal the other day talking about how UCLA wasn’t really interested in him because he was to “Midwest” for them and didn’t fit their criteria.
ANother reason why UCLA may be the most overrated job in america.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:11 AM   #12
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Not too surprising, but with the years and money being right, I figured they'd at least get a large buyout. I knew he'd have the keys, but it looks like Tech lost every single negotiation.
He holds all the cards. Just in case he wants to bounce.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:12 AM   #13
Eielson
Starter

Quote:
Did they really say that? For their sake, I hope they didn't. Beard was born in Georgia, and has done most of his coaching in Texas. He's southern af.

Now...the guy that UCLA hired that was born and spent most of his coaching career in Ohio on the other hand...
Old 04-30-2019, 09:35 AM   #14
sdcloud9
Starter

Quote:
Did they really say that? For their sake, I hope they didn't. Beard was born in Georgia, and has done most of his coaching in Texas. He's southern af.

Now...the guy that UCLA hired that was born and spent most of his coaching career in Ohio on the other hand...
Totally agree.....UCLA is irrelevant right now and will continue going downhill. Cronin will bring some toughness but I'll be shocked if he's a fit in the end.
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:16 AM   #15
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Wasn't going to be a good fit for either of them. UCLA needs somebody that can handle that LA, SoCal lifestyle. Wasn't Sampson. Wasn't Beard. Wasn't Lon.

Not saying they got the right guy, but it's a better option than those other guys. Barnes would have been interesting had he left Tennessee.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:43 PM   #16
thebigabd
National Champion

They should have hired Luke Walton.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:52 PM   #17
sdcloud9
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Wasn't going to be a good fit for either of them. UCLA needs somebody that can handle that LA, SoCal lifestyle. Wasn't Sampson. Wasn't Beard. Wasn't Lon.

Not saying they got the right guy, but it's a better option than those other guys. Barnes would have been interesting had he left Tennessee.
Barnes would have been a great choice, imo.
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:41 AM   #18
CoachTalk
Final Four

Betting favorite to take Michigan