ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 04-25-2019, 10:52 AM   #26
CoachTalk
Final Four

Default Re: Jim Molinari new Hire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
If you are going to comment that I wasn't the one blaming Kevin, then how exactly can I move the goal post?

Lame.
Quote:
If you are going to comment that I wasn't the one blaming Kevin, then how exactly can I move the goal post?

Lame.
Quote:
I'd guess somebody most of us aren't familiar with. Unless we lose an assistant, it's the third spot that is open. Tough to bring in somebody too well known or experienced for that spot.
... Moving the goal post. Bringing in experience vs Kevin.
Which one do you want?
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:59 AM   #27
AdaSooner
Administrator

Assuming the news is accurate, I like this hire. The mid sixties today is about the same as the mid fifties thirty years ago. Motivated people are eating better, exercising more and retiring at an older age these days. It’s foolish and downright insulting to assume a coach in his sixties is “over the hill.” If Molinari is in good health and he still enjoys working with student athletes, more power to him!
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:14 AM   #28
OU92Grad
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
Assuming the news is accurate, I like this hire. The mid sixties today is about the same as the mid fifties thirty years ago. Motivated people are eating better, exercising more and retiring at an older age these days. It’s foolish and downright insulting to assume a coach in his sixties is “over the hill.” If Molinari is in good health and he still enjoys working with student athletes, more power to him!
Looks like my sources were accurate:

https://newsok.com/article/5629725/o...hird-assistant
OU92Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:14 AM   #29
WichitaSooner
Starter

I'm sure as soon as we struggle for a couple minutes in the first exhibition game, there will be some complaining that it is all because of Molinari and that Lon only hired him because they were teammates at KSU. Sadly, I'm only half kidding.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:52 AM   #30
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Some things are consistent on the men's bb board and the women's bb board. The butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker on both boards think they know more about hiring assistant coaches than actual coaches do.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!

Last edited by MsProudSooner; 04-25-2019 at 12:58 PM.
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #31
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU92Grad View Post
Looks like my sources were accurate:

https://newsok.com/article/5629725/o...hird-assistant
I like it still.!
Old 04-25-2019, 12:08 PM   #32
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
... Moving the goal post. Bringing in experience vs Kevin.
Which one do you want?
LMAO

You are reaching on this one. Context. Look it up.

Would you call this dude well known?

Old 04-25-2019, 12:09 PM   #33
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
LMAO

Give me 3 names that you wouldve hired.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:14 PM   #34
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
I'm sure as soon as we struggle for a couple minutes in the first exhibition game, there will be some complaining that it is all because of Molinari and that Lon only hired him because they were teammates at KSU. Sadly, I'm only half kidding.
Sadly, there is a very good chance you will be right.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:26 PM   #35
TulsaWorld
Walk-on

From Eric Bailey...

Quote:
Molinari recently was an assistant coach at Nebraska for five seasons. He is a former Kansas State teammate of OU head coach Lon Kruger.

Molinari takes the place of Kevin Kruger, who spent two years on his father’s Oklahoma coaching staff. Kevin Kruger departed Norman to take a similar job at UNLV earlier this month.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:48 PM   #36
skyvue
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
if you can't understand the difference between a person playing their first year of college basketball vs a player who was a senior...
I can understand that difference in theory but it doesn't apply to the two players we're talking about.

Bandoo was a junior. He came to Baylor after playing two years of lower-level collegiate basketball, just as Reynolds, who was a senior, came to OU after playing three years of lower-level (though admittedly not as low as Bandoo) collegiate basketball.

Saying anything else about their respective experience is a mischaracterization. For pete's sake, if Bandoo really was the first-year player you keep pretending he was, then there'd be no advantage in taking him or any other juco transfer. Go get a high school player and you'll have him for four years.

But of course, there is a (theoretical, at least) advantage to signing a juco transfer over a high school senior and that is that the juco guy has played two years of -- wait for it -- collegiate basketball. So just stop with the "first year of college basketball" crap. It's insulting that you think we're that stupid.

And picking a certain part of the season that supports your stance is BS. The entire season matters. And over the course of the season, Bandoo's stats were only marginally better than Reynolds. That's just a fact.

And focusing on Reynolds' three-point shooting is beyond disingenuous -- he averaged less than one shot per game from behind the arc. It wasn't his game. Bandoo, by contrast, averaged nearly 4 deep shots per game. But despite shooting nearly four times as often from deep, he still averaged only 1.5 points more game than Reynolds.

As for Bandoo being the 4th best shooter in the conference, he did rank 4th in 3-pt percentage, but he's not in the top 15 in overall field goal percentage. Cherry-picking and mischaracterizing again -- you simply can't help yourself.

I don't have to agree with you -- there are plenty of posters on this board I don't agree with -- but if you won't play it straight with the facts --and you most definitely don't -- I'm going to call you on it every time.

What I'm not doing is building up Reynolds -- he was a decent player at best. But you were trashing both him and Calixte before they ever arrived in Norman. If you can't grasp why that might rub many OU fans the wrong way, I don't know what to tell you. Especially when, as you're trashing them, you're generally hyping random juco players, most of whom turn out to be average at best.

No, I'm calling you out on your mischaracterizations, your cherry-picked stats, your misstatements, your spin, your constant moving of the goal posts. You get the facts wrong consistently and, worse, seemingly intentionally, and easily 80% of your posts either criticize OU's coaches and players, praise rival programs or both, and it gets old after a while.

Last edited by skyvue; 04-25-2019 at 01:01 PM.
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:56 PM   #37
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
LMAO

Would you call this dude well known?

Really? I would have thought a man of the world like you would have a working knowledge about Jim Molinari. I knew who he was. He’s roughly one generation behind my own, so I’m sure that made a difference. Old timers like Jim and me have to stick together you know.

Seriously, I could have predicted your reaction to this hire before your first post. It’s all too similar to your comments about the players on our roster coming back next year and the newbies coming in. You don’t seem to be happy with much of anything lately, so it’s not like I’m psychic or anything.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:09 PM   #38
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
Really? I would have thought a man of the world like you would have a working knowledge about Jim Molinari. I knew who he was. He’s roughly one generation behind my own, so I’m sure that made a difference. Old timers like Jim and me have to stick together you know.

Seriously, I could have predicted your reaction to this hire before your first post. It’s all too similar to your comments about the players on our roster coming back next year and the newbies coming in. You don’t seem to be happy with much of anything lately, so it’s not like I’m psychic or anything.
It wasn't many weeks ago that you were right there with me.

You've flipped the switch back to being "positive" quicker than I care to. It'll happen, I'm just not there yet.

I would have preferred Lon went another direction with this hire. Unfortunately, he didn't ask me.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:24 PM   #39
BAsooner
Walk-on

More of a lurker here but did i miss something? is Bandoo the second coming of Terrell Everett?Just asking
BAsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:26 PM   #40
Maverick008
Walk-on

Quote:
I would have preferred Lon went another direction with this hire. Unfortunately, he didn't ask me.
I guess i’m just wanting a better understanding of why you feel this way? If it’s mainly/all about the recruiting side/relating to players because of age thing then I guess we can agree to disagree about what is best for the program. In previous stops the guy won conference coach of the year 3 times. He’s been an NBA scout, he played major DI basketball so in my opinion, he has lots to talk to and teach these guys about. Regardless if it was at the “well-known” schools or if he has a big name or not.

Again, just trying to get more of an insight as to why you feel this was the “wrong direction” for Kruger to take?
Maverick008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:29 PM   #41
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAsooner View Post
More of a lurker here but did i miss something? is Bandoo the second coming of Terrell Everett?Just asking
No, but he is clearly a better and more talented player than the guy we chose him over. Thats really what this is about. Miles Reynolds became unplayable, Bandoo got better once he adjusted to the speed of the game, and I am confident Bandoo will have a fine year next season.

At the end of the day, Skyvue and I just aren't seeing the same thing. I am sure we have the same objective, but we just aren't seeing the same thing. And thats fine.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:33 PM   #42
BAsooner
Walk-on

Honestly he wasn't unplayable but you could never play him and Odomes together, to me Calixte was the unplayable one.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:43 PM   #43
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick008 View Post
I guess i’m just wanting a better understanding of why you feel this way? If it’s mainly/all about the recruiting side/relating to players because of age thing then I guess we can agree to disagree about what is best for the program. In previous stops the guy won conference coach of the year 3 times. He’s been an NBA scout, he played major DI basketball so in my opinion, he has lots to talk to and teach these guys about. Regardless if it was at the “well-known” schools or if he has a big name or not.

Again, just trying to get more of an insight as to why you feel this was the “wrong direction” for Kruger to take?
Mostly about two things. First, I think a staff should have balance. Crutch and Hartman aren't ancient, but they aren't really young either. I would have preferred some youth to balance things out some, and as I stated earlier, to give the kids a younger voice to hear during practice, or just to shoot the crap with.

Second, yeah, recruiting. I don't think our current staff is anything more than an average or maybe adequate recruiting staff. My guess, and this is just my opinion, is that Molinari isn't going to have much of an impact on recruiting. Would have preferred somebody with more upside in that function.

I just feel like this was a lazy hire. A guy Lon played with. And old guy that is a defensive coach. D wasn't the problem last year. Offense was. Offense has been the more consistent problem with Lon's teams at OU. D has had a couple of rough years, but pretty solid most of the time. I think this program could have used an infusion of energy and enthusiasm. From all accounts, this dude ain't that guy. Team plays flat too often. Maybe a younger guy finds a way to energize them. Maybe a young guy gets them fired up. I just can't see Molinari having any impact in that regards.

Just seems like a low ceiling hire. I'd rather Kruger has taken a chance on somebody with higher upside, but I also get that that really isn't LK's M.O.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:51 PM   #44
BAsooner
Walk-on

I think they miss to much on some of these projects from over seas. That seems to be one of the bigger problems with this staffs recruiting. Most of the high school kids Lon and co have picked up have turned out to be solid players .
Old 04-25-2019, 02:06 PM   #45
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
No, but he is clearly a better and more talented player than the guy we chose him over. Thats really what this is about. Miles Reynolds became unplayable, Bandoo got better once he adjusted to the speed of the game, and I am confident Bandoo will have a fine year next season.

At the end of the day, Skyvue and I just aren't seeing the same thing. I am sure we have the same objective, but we just aren't seeing the same thing. And thats fine.
How did a thread about OU’s new assistant coach turn into another debate about juco players? Is it possible to beat that dead horse on one of a half dozen other threads on the same topic?
Old 04-25-2019, 02:08 PM   #46
BAsooner
Walk-on

Big ABD is a juco disease you cant shake
Old 04-25-2019, 02:24 PM   #47
NAIA All-Star
All-Conference

I lit the fuse and ran off. Haha.

Honestly, it's a very Lon hire. I don't really care that much, though.
NAIA All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:27 PM   #48
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
It wasn't many weeks ago that you were right there with me.

You've flipped the switch back to being "positive" quicker than I care to. It'll happen, I'm just not there yet.

You’re right, I was right there with you on what I saw as some questionable recruiting by our coaching staff. I won’t list them again, you know who I’m talking about.

I really didn’t flip to the positive side about our 2019 recruiting class or Austin Reaves. I have been high on Reaves, Harmon, Hill, Williams and Iwuakor all along. I’m also hopeful that Kauth will be better than I initially thought. I’ll admit that I’m still uncertain about the others, but I’m also open to getting on board with them too if I’m convinced they were good options.

It’s obvious you’re struggling to move on from the results most of us have been unhappy with lately. I finally reached a point myself where I morphed into a fan I didn’t recognize anymore. Nothing wrong with being honest with how you feel. I felt a lot better after I vented a time or two.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:15 PM   #49
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Good source. This is now official hire
https://twitter.com/ou_mbball/status...543971840?s=21
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:53 PM   #50
stormspencer
Sweet 16

From what I've read about Molinari, he seems to be well respected in coaching circles. I hope he brings a component or two that helps this team take the next step...but I'm not sure we will ever truly know for sure what kind of an impact he has or will provide.....at least those of us commoners won't.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote