ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 03-31-2019, 05:06 PM   #1
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Default Natasha Mack -- a real center

Here's someone Sherri should have been in on (if she wasn't)

Natasha Mack,6-4,C, out of Agenlian College in Texas. She was named the 2019 WBCA 2-year college play of the year.

Mack's moving to a 4-year school and her four finalists are: Missouri, Oklahoma State, St. John's, Virginia Tech and Wichita State.

Here are her stats:

http://www.angelinaathletics.com/spo...k_natasha_ov4x

Can we be so inept at recruiting that we didn't know of this young woman?

SMH

Last edited by Oliver Hardy; 03-31-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:48 PM   #2
betterstill
Walk-on

Default Re: Natasha Mack -- a real center

I hate to be cynical, no I don't, but Sherri is likely sitting around until she gets some new staff whom she expects will be able to recruit.
betterstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:22 PM   #3
sooner8693
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterstill View Post
I hate to be cynical, no I don't, but Sherri is likely sitting around until she gets some new staff whom she expects will be able to recruit.
That and waiting for Colton to get after the recruiting.
sooner8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:57 PM   #4
Mac
Administrator

Mack doesn’t look like the type of player Sherri would recruit... I’m not sure where she will head to college, but some team will be getting a decent player.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:07 PM   #5
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Mac,

Do you mean she’s a player who can score, rebound and do it all with force?

What is Sherri’s type of player these days?

I don’t think anyone knows. Slow girls? Players who can’t hit a lay-up? 30-turnovers-a-game girls?

Players who can’t jump higher than a 65-year-old man with a shot back and fake knees like me?

Whatever it is, she may want to change it.

A kid like this is just the kind of short-term help this program needs to sign to begin our recovery. Heck, maybe she could be another Vivi.

Are there better players and options out there? Sure. But we’ve got to start somewhere and someone like her could be an interim answer.

Look where she’s likely to sign. She would have gone wild to get an offer from Oklahoma.

And you can’t convince me that on her worst day she wouldn’t be better than Simpson.

And kids these days aren’t exactly falling all over themselves to come play for Sherri Coale and OU.

Hell, junior probably didn’t even know she was out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2019, 12:14 PM   #6
Mac
Administrator

A fun loving Christian... I’m not sure if Mack is Religious or not, but she does have a few tattoos...
Old 04-01-2019, 12:31 PM   #7
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Ohhhh, that's right....let's see on Sherri's vaunted point system that's a minus 50 points.

And if she has a girlfriend, that's a minus -60. So she's deeply in the negative side of the oh-so-successful player point evaluation system.

Well too bad.

I guess we need to be asking if Simpson has a twin....
Old 04-01-2019, 12:38 PM   #8
SuperHoops
Role Player

Mack is an interesting case. She signed with Houston coming out of high school but changed her mind and basically quit basketball for a year, then decided to go to Angelina where she excelled. Maybe she didn't qualify at UH, I don't know.
SuperHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:23 PM   #9
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Well, she’s qualified now, I guess.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:50 PM   #10
SuperHoops
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Hardy View Post
Well, she’s qualified now, I guess.

I was just going with how strange it was that she had a full ride D-1 scholarship less than 2 hours from home and changed her mind and stayed home for a year then went to some tiny JUCO. I didn't research it fully so there may have been extenuating circumstances with her family or her health.
SuperHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:13 PM   #11
keysersose
Walk-on

We are told that SC doesn't want to take a JC player because she'll then have only two scholarships to offer next year. So she's looking for graduate transfers.
keysersose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:59 PM   #12
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysersose View Post
We are told that SC doesn't want to take a JC player because she'll then have only two scholarships to offer next year. So she's looking for graduate transfers.
By my count with Clary Donica being a walk-on OU has 9 returning scholarship players. The list includes Chloe Bloom who started school the spring semester. Additionally they have Gabby Gregory and Liz Scott scheduled to start school in September. That will raise the roster count to 11 scholarship players.

The NCAA allows division I schools 15 scholarship players. All 15 of OU's scholarships are endowed so they cost OU nothing. That leaves Sherri with 4 scholarships if she chooses to use them. Lack of scholarship availability for grad transfers is bunk. They are there is you want to use them.

http://www.soonersports.com/SportSel...B_OEM_ID=31000

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=211781257

http://www.scholarshipstats.com/ncaalimits.html
Old 04-01-2019, 05:12 PM   #13
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
By my count with Clary Donica being a walk-on OU has 9 returning scholarship players. The list includes Chloe Bloom who started school the spring semester. Additionally they have Gabby Gregory and Liz Scott scheduled to start school in September. That will raise the roster count to 11 scholarship players.

The NCAA allows division I schools 15 scholarship players. All 15 of OU's scholarships are endowed so they cost OU nothing. That leaves Sherri with 4 scholarships if she chooses to use them. Lack of scholarship availability for grad transfers is bunk. They are there is you want to use them.

As

As I have said repeatedly, Sherri just will NOT use her full allotment of scholarships. It is crazy especially when you need depth.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:30 PM   #14
keysersose
Walk-on

Quote:

I read that Clary was given a scholarship.
keysersose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:38 PM   #15
sybarite
National Champion

www.inforum.com/sports/basketball/985223-Lauren...

Lauren Ware making North Dakota a hoops recruiting destination
Written By
Zach Staton
Mar 10th 2019 - 11pm.

AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to Facebook

68Share to TwitterShare to RedditShare to EmailShare to Copy Link

BISMARCK — Of all places to find a top recruit in the nation, Bismarck does not seem like the first choice.

Lauren Ware, however, has had the same effect on that as she does on most shots taken near her on the hardwood. She's altering it.

"A lot of the coaches don't know where I am from," Ware said. "A lot of people don't know where North Dakota is. It's odd to them because they go out and recruit people from bigger areas."

The 6-foot-five-inch junior center at Bismarck Century is one of the top post players in country, according to various recruiting websites.

High-major schools are beginning to take notice of the talented player, including Nebraska, Oregon, Iowa, Iowa State, Texas, Oklahoma and Minnesota.

"That was kind of a wow moment," said her father Joe. "I'm used to having give them a call and they were calling me."

It's a lot of pressure for such a young person.

"It is kind of nerve wracking, but they've seen my play before in the summer," she said. "They are not coming to evaluate me anymore. They're coming to watch me play. They don't think any less of me if I have a bad game."

Before she even decides on a school, she has to decide whether she wants to play basketball or volleyball. She's been named Gatorade Player of the Year in the state in both sports.

For now, though, she's just trying to enjoy the ride.

"I am just trying to be a kid right now," Lauren said. "It is kind of tough. My parents taught me to be a kid now because I will not have a lot of time when I go off to college so I am just having fun doing my thing now."

Last edited by sybarite; 04-07-2019 at 08:42 PM.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:31 PM   #16
Mac
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
www.inforum.com/sports/basketball/985223-Lauren...

Lauren Ware making North Dakota a hoops recruiting destination
Written By
Zach Staton
Mar 10th 2019 - 11pm.

AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to Facebook

68Share to TwitterShare to RedditShare to EmailShare to Copy Link

BISMARCK — Of all places to find a top recruit in the nation, Bismarck does not seem like the first choice.

Lauren Ware, however, has had the same effect on that as she does on most shots taken near her on the hardwood. She's altering it.

"A lot of the coaches don't know where I am from," Ware said. "A lot of people don't know where North Dakota is. It's odd to them because they go out and recruit people from bigger areas."

The 6-foot-five-inch junior center at Bismarck Century is one of the top post players in country, according to various recruiting websites.

High-major schools are beginning to take notice of the talented player, including Nebraska, Oregon, Iowa, Iowa State, Texas, Oklahoma and Minnesota.

"That was kind of a wow moment," said her father Joe. "I'm used to having give them a call and they were calling me."

It's a lot of pressure for such a young person.

"It is kind of nerve wracking, but they've seen my play before in the summer," she said. "They are not coming to evaluate me anymore. They're coming to watch me play. They don't think any less of me if I have a bad game."

Before she even decides on a school, she has to decide whether she wants to play basketball or volleyball. She's been named Gatorade Player of the Year in the state in both sports.

For now, though, she's just trying to enjoy the ride.

"I am just trying to be a kid right now," Lauren said. "It is kind of tough. My parents taught me to be a kid now because I will not have a lot of time when I go off to college so I am just having fun doing my thing now."
Ware put a list of her final 10 schools, OU wasn’t one of them, I think she’s looking for a school she can play both basketball and Volleyball at.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:21 AM   #17
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

If Ware is the quality of basketball and volleyball player the article indicates I am certain that if both Sherri and Lindsey Gray-Walton wanted her for their teams she could have played both sports at OU.

For certain we know that LGW has become very aggressive recruiting and coaching in her first season at OU. We don't knw the last time Sherri was really aggressive recruiting anyone.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 04-08-2019 at 12:42 PM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:30 PM   #18
threepointshooter
Walk-on

Tasha Mack just committed to Oklahoma State.
threepointshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:45 PM   #19
sooner8693
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepointshooter View Post
Tasha Mack just committed to Oklahoma State.
I hate to say this, but, I believe the osu program is rapidly passing OU's program as the best women's program/team in this state. JMO
sooner8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:04 PM   #20
soonerstar
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner8693 View Post
I hate to say this, but, I believe the osu program is rapidly passing OU's program as the best women's program/team in this state. JMO
Agree!
soonerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:20 PM   #21
OUDallas66
Walk-on

How are the twitter posts working out? Will we win a Big12 title in the next 3 or 4 years now we are re-energized?. I do like the two new coaches, quality hires.
OUDallas66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:32 PM   #22
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

The OU program has definitely been headed in the wrong direction for several years but the pukes are not exactly upward bound as a program. For the past 3 years the record between the two teams is 3-3 for the last 5 years 5-5. The 3 year aggregate record for the two teams is OSU 66-31 and OU 61-36. Both teams are averaging better than 20 wins per year. However OSU has not had a sub 20 win season in the last 5 years. The Sooners have had 2.

Now Sherri has the team where the next two years are critical regarding where the program is headed long term. It is going to be interesting to see which direction we are headed. Regardless they are going to need our support to bolster their successes.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 04-29-2019 at 06:35 PM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:18 AM   #23
Soonerbay
Role Player

Quote:
The OU program has definitely been headed in the wrong direction for several years but the pukes are not exactly upward bound as a program. For the past 3 years the record between the two teams is 3-3 for the last 5 years 5-5. The 3 year aggregate record for the two teams is OSU 66-31 and OU 61-36. Both teams are averaging better than 20 wins per year. However OSU has not had a sub 20 win season in the last 5 years. The Sooners have had 2.

Now Sherri has the team where the next two years are critical regarding where the program is headed long term. It is going to be interesting to see which direction we are headed. Regardless they are going to need our support to bolster their successes.
Agreed regarding the comparisons between OU & OSU. I'm going to watch and wait. One can hope the hiring of two new assistants will make a difference, but it's going to be tough to dig out of this hole and I don't really see anyone shoveling like they are digging for gold at this point. A twitter video is cute and creative, but when will the results surface? In reality, they are starting almost from scratch. Word travels relatively fast in basketball circles (college coaches/AAU-Club coaches/players/parents) and it seems top players/game changers are avoiding them like the plague. It's not rocket science...when you see the few top players they've had up and leave...not a good sign. I'm sure they got their fair share of "I told you so" phone calls when they decided to leave.

And considering how long it took to hire the assistants...that's not a good sign. Background checks and paperwork can be done within a few days. They probably received lots of resumes from up and comers (Stiles) as well as hanging on for dear lifers (Washington). I HOPE SC at least pursued former OU players; especially the ones who are current coaches not named Hook-Coale. It would have been nice (and helpful) to see at least one alum come back to coach. A program RECOVERY team of coaches is needed to rebuild and I don't think the current group have it. They needed a well known alum player and/or great recruiter (BBrown, DJackson-Durrett, SDales, CParis, AOlajuwon) who has been intimately connected...willing to come back and say "this program is important to us". Otherwise, you have to lure an assistant from UCONN, Louisville, ND, MS State, Baylor. Clearly, that's not happening. And it appears none of them (including Coale Inc.) had any top juco players in the hopper. The best have committed already. Good recruiters have a database of every top juco player by position and keep it updated whether they need them or not...you never know when an injury or transfer can creep up on you. It happens to the best of teams, but you have to be ready by having relationships already built with those players and the juco coaches.

Spock, this program has been heading in the wrong direction for more than "several years"...IMO. Severe recruiting mistakes were made as far back as 2006 and continually got worse. It finally caught up with them. Sad but true.
Soonerbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:43 AM   #24
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerbay View Post
Agreed regarding the comparisons between OU & OSU. I'm going to watch and wait. One can hope the hiring of two new assistants will make a difference, but it's going to be tough to dig out of this hole and I don't really see anyone shoveling like they are digging for gold at this point. A twitter video is cute and creative, but when will the results surface? In reality, they are starting almost from scratch. Word travels relatively fast in basketball circles (college coaches/AAU-Club coaches/players/parents) and it seems top players/game changers are avoiding them like the plague. It's not rocket science...when you see the few top players they've had up and leave...not a good sign. I'm sure they got their fair share of "I told you so" phone calls when they decided to leave.

And considering how long it took to hire the assistants...that's not a good sign. Background checks and paperwork can be done within a few days. They probably received lots of resumes from up and comers (Stiles) as well as hanging on for dear lifers (Washington). I HOPE SC at least pursued former OU players; especially the ones who are current coaches not named Hook-Coale. It would have been nice (and helpful) to see at least one alum come back to coach. A program RECOVERY team of coaches is needed to rebuild and I don't think the current group have it. They needed a well known alum player and/or great recruiter (BBrown, DJackson-Durrett, SDales, CParis, AOlajuwon) who has been intimately connected...willing to come back and say "this program is important to us". Otherwise, you have to lure an assistant from UCONN, Louisville, ND, MS State, Baylor. Clearly, that's not happening. And it appears none of them (including Coale Inc.) had any top juco players in the hopper. The best have committed already. Good recruiters have a database of every top juco player by position and keep it updated whether they need them or not...you never know when an injury or transfer can creep up on you. It happens to the best of teams, but you have to be ready by having relationships already built with those players and the juco coaches.

Spock, this program has been heading in the wrong direction for more than "several years"...IMO. Severe recruiting mistakes were made as far back as 2006 and continually got worse. It finally caught up with them. Sad but true.
You clearly dont know how things work... You think the job is posted on indeed and folks send in resumes...? Its agents and calls, interviews, etc. Not wait by an email and call them back...

I stopped reading after that.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:26 AM   #25
Soonerbay
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
You clearly dont know how things work... You think the job is posted on indeed and folks send in resumes...? Its agents and calls, interviews, etc. Not wait by an email and call them back...

I stopped reading after that.
LOL! Exactly my point. The types of coaches who would have their agent to initiate contact DO NOT WANT THE JOB.
Soonerbay is offline   Reply With Quote