ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 05-16-2016, 10:19 AM   #1
thebigabd
National Champion

Default Grandstaff

What's the deal with him?
Old 05-16-2016, 02:12 PM   #2
Laxtothemax12
Banned

Default Re: Grandstaff

? What happened?
Laxtothemax12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:56 PM   #3
thebigabd
National Champion

Someone in another thread said he might be off the team.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:10 AM   #4
WaymanFan
Administrator

Rather than posting on the Matt Freeman thread about Austin Grandstaff, I'll do it here. For those with a membership on OUInsider, you can read James Hale's response to my question (NCSooner63) about this situation. As usual, CoachTalk and vbdad are correct with their info. I won't get specific with what Hale said except that he's confident that Grandstaff is gone.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:48 AM   #5
bearcreekfan
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
Rather than posting on the Matt Freeman thread about Austin Grandstaff, I'll do it here. For those with a membership on OUInsider, you can read James Hale's response to my question (NCSooner63) about this situation. As usual, CoachTalk and vbdad are correct with their info. I won't get specific with what Hale said except that he's confident that Grandstaff is gone.
Thanks for asking the question - http://oklahoma.247sports.com/Board/...James-45354349
bearcreekfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:13 AM   #6
sperry
All-American

That's rough. Wish he had some people in his life to straighten him out, he's wrecking a promising career by quitting teams and transferring at the drop of a hat (dating back to his high school career). Wish him the best wherever he goes, but this doesn't look like it will have a positive ending.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:15 PM   #7
vbdad
Role Player

You make the decision for others by your actions.

Whether he is on the team or not, he couldn't be counted on by the team.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:13 PM   #8
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

dude just blew it.

Manic Manek
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:19 PM   #9
oudna
All-American

No surprise. Wasn't a fan of bringing him in.
oudna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:22 PM   #10
WTSooner
National Champion

Somebody going to tell us why he is leaving?
Old 05-17-2016, 02:26 PM   #11
tmeyer3307
Walk-on

It's official though.. On soonerscoop. Bleh this hurts because I'm guessing he would of been quite a bit better than Sheperd or the Juco pg. Now one of them plays for sure! Mcgusty could get a lot of minutes now too.
tmeyer3307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:36 PM   #12
CMSOONER
Starter

http://oklahoma.247sports.com/Bolt/S...-ways-45373775
CMSOONER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:17 PM   #13
usedtobe1
Administrator

"Helicopter" Dad had him confused. Got in his head. What I've heard for what it's worth......
usedtobe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:39 PM   #14
AdaSooner
Administrator

The other boards were a little late to the dance on this one. While it's true we didn't do a news release with a fancy headline, anyone who read the Matt Freeman thread definitely knew Austin Grandstaff was leaving or already gone. Vbdad told us "not to count on Grandstaff" two days ago. He told me about it in a PM five days ago (last Friday). He didn't give me permission to post it to the board, which is why I didn't say anything until he decided to release the information.

It's nice to know this board has some knowledgeable people with an inside track to the program. Vbdad is one of them. Keep in mind, it's not always possible for those in the know to tell us everything for fear of severing ties with an important source. Doesn't mean we shouldn't be glad they're available to us.
AdaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:50 PM   #15
Big Old Booger
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
The other boards were a little late to the dance on this one. While it's true we didn't do a news release with a fancy headline, anyone who read the Matt Freeman thread definitely knew Austin Grandstaff was leaving or already gone. Vbdad told us "not to count on Grandstaff" two days ago. He told me about it in a PM five days ago (last Friday). He didn't give me permission to post it to the board, which is why I didn't say anything until he decided to release the information.

It's nice to know this board has some knowledgeable people with an inside track to the program. Vbdad is one of them. Keep in mind, it's not always possible for those in the know to tell us everything for fear of severing ties with an important source. Doesn't mean we shouldn't be glad they're available to us.
Great post and thanks, vbdad, for contributing here.

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------
Big Old Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:55 PM   #16
BCSooners
All-Conference

Why is he leaving?
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:58 PM   #17
Big Old Booger
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
Why is he leaving?
Someone on Soonerscoop, who posts here also, said his dad is a helicopter dad and had Austin confused so LK grew tired of it and gave them walking papers.

I would guess his dad was bothering LK about how his son could be utilized but that's just a guess.

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------
Old 05-17-2016, 05:35 PM   #18
MercedeSooner
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Old Booger View Post
Someone on Soonerscoop, who posts here also, said his dad is a helicopter dad and had Austin confused so LK grew tired of it and gave them walking papers.

I would guess his dad was bothering LK about how his son could be utilized but that's just a guess.
So basically the same thing that happened at tOSU.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:49 PM   #19
sperry
All-American

Kid's dad is going to ruin his life.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:06 PM   #20
BCSooners
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Old Booger View Post

That's a shame.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:16 PM   #21
CoachTalk
Final Four

This isnt just a dad thing, there were stipulations in place that Austin didn't live up to regarding his studies and the team and coach Kruger.

Didn't meet up to his part of the bargain
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:28 PM   #22
Larry72
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
This isnt just a dad thing, there were stipulations in place that Austin didn't live up to regarding his studies and the team and coach Kruger.

Lon is so experienced and positive, his players have a good attitude and give 100%.
If you do not buy in then you have to go. It is pretty simple.
Larry72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:51 PM   #23
slappy in OP
All-Conference

Wow. Didn't read the board for a few days and this happens. Hope the kid can get his life back in order. Too bad his dad seems to be such a problem.
slappy in OP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:50 PM   #24
MNsooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post

Good. A big part of Kruger's success has been the culture of the team. We've achieved by having folks like Osby and Cousins and Heild who are hard workers that get things done. If Grandstaff can't live up to that, it's better he is gone now. I don't want to re-hash old debates, but Capel really let the team's culture get away from him and I think it shows Kruger's experience that he knows it's better to lose a player than lose the culture.
“Very few coaches have been able to change cultures as quickly and successfully as Lon Kruger. He understands how to mold a group of individuals into one team with a common goal and has proven that time and time again. Lon has high standards for all those around him and he possesses a passion for winning, but not at any cost. That is arguably his strongest trait.”

Larry Brown
MNsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:42 AM   #25
Big Old Booger
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNsooner View Post
Good. A big part of Kruger's success has been the culture of the team. We've achieved by having folks like Osby and Cousins and Heild who are hard workers that get things done. If Grandstaff can't live up to that, it's better he is gone now. I don't want to re-hash old debates, but Capel really let the team's culture get away from him and I think it shows Kruger's experience that he knows it's better to lose a player than lose the culture.
Sampson was like Kruger as far as culture is concerned. If they didn't buy-in to what he wanted they were gone and that's how successful programs stay successful over the long haul because ultimately the program is more important than a single player.

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------