ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 04-30-2019, 08:46 AM   #26
CoachTalk
Final Four

Default Re: Natasha Mack -- a real center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerbay View Post
LOL! Exactly my point. The types of coaches who would have their agent to initiate contact DO NOT WANT THE JOB.
Youre clueless. Stiles was a good hire. Having a former HC on staff is a great hire.

Just type. " I Hate SC and even if they wouldve hired Geno Id still say it was bad"

Give me 3 people you wouldve been happy to hire?
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:28 AM   #27
Soonerbay
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Youre clueless. Stiles was a good hire. Having a former HC on staff is a great hire.

Just type. " I Hate SC and even if they wouldve hired Geno Id still say it was bad"

Give me 3 people you wouldve been happy to hire?
LOL even more so! If you want to go down this path with me...let's do it. Humor me.

If you're setting up your program in the event of a HC retirement in about two years, those are GREAT hires for future interim head coach and assistant. If you're buying time because you know there is little hope for significant improvement in the next two seasons...then they are good hires. Next season...they might move up 1-3 spots in the conference. If a miracle were to happen and they sign the next coming of CParis, SDales, DRob, AParis, OAlajuwon in the next year...they'll meet Stanford in the Sweet 16 and play a few of their current freshmen instead. Remember, upperclassmen matter.

The only hires that would have made sense and given me any clue that it is important to revive the program would have been if DJackson-Durrett or BBrown were hired or CParis said she's not going back to Europe but to OU to get that NC she always wanted, then hit the Boo Williams tourney last weekend and got a commit from the top post player in the country yesterday. ONE former player and Stiles with Washington as Director of Player Development would have sent a hopeful message. And a good strategy.
Soonerbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:22 AM   #28
CoachTalk
Final Four

So you'd hire someone with no experience and hope they can recruit...?

or take 2 proven coaches?

We need proven coaches, not hope and prayer... People that have been there and done that before, skill development. Stiles knows the area.

Like I said, you wouldnt be happy with anyone with SC as HC.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:14 PM   #29
Soonerbay
Role Player

Quote:

We need proven coaches, not hope and prayer... People that have been there and done that before, skill development. Stiles knows the area.

Look, the coaches that were in place before built relationships with top 20 players who were interested in OU; some were ready to commit. But they didn't cut the mustard with SC. Who's to say that the same won't happen with the current new coaches IF they can get the attention of some top players? SHansmeyer apparently was "proven" but what good did it do her? The options I mentioned have coaching experience with the exception of CParis. Tiffany Jackson didn't have any coaching experience when KAston hired her, but Aston has enough sense to know the benefits of having such a former player on her bench. Before Jackson was Tina Thompson. None of the coaches have experience until they get a job; it starts somewhere and former players are a great risk to take and if they have pro experience it's even better. Stiles might know "the area" but who has she recruited and signed that was a game changer? That's what OU needs. Game changers! What has Washington done lately? More of 5 foot something guards and 6 foot post players that have zero athleticism is not going to bring them from the basement of the conference. If SC continues to do more of the same...then you're right. New assistants, regardless of who they are, will not make a difference and the only way to correct the issue is what most programs would have done two years ago...get a new leader and cut your loses while you're ahead.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:21 PM   #30
SuperHoops
Role Player

OSU also got a commitment from Micah Dennis out of Canada. Supposedly she is really good compared to other Canadian girls but we all saw how well that worked out with Shaina.
SuperHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:40 PM   #31
Soonerbay
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHoops View Post
OSU also got a commitment from Micah Dennis out of Canada. Supposedly she is really good compared to other Canadian girls but we all saw how well that worked out with Shaina.
If Shaina was such a bad player with a bad attitude...I'm sure they would have seen the signs and never signed her. They loved everything about her, talked about how she can help the program, what they will do to help develop her into a WNBA player, fed her and the family steak and lobster on the official visit, and gave her the royal treatment like they do most recruits...including Dungee and Mulkey. I'm sure Shaina played a part as well, but many of us make poor decisions out of frustration, disappointment, etc. SPennington will go somewhere else and do just fine...more than likely.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:26 PM   #32
Soonerguy06
Role Player

Call me pessimistic but I'm going to go out on a limb right now and say that we sign absolutely no productive grad transfers. As a matter of fact I don't think we are going to make any additions to the roster if there isn't an announcement by the end of May. That being the case I see this team winning five, maybe eight more games than they did last season, tops. I hope to God I'm way off on this, but the older we get the more set in our ways we get and the less likely we are to change, I don't think s c is an exception to this. I can see her signing a random 6'2" post player that's a grad transfer that will do absolutely nothing, kind of like she did when signing Serna or Durrett out of the juco ranks. That's the type of player, if any, I see her signing in the off-season. If she proves me wrong I will be more than happy to eat my words!
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:33 PM   #33
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:

I am sure that Jackson-Durrett told Sherri NO!!! She has nine years experience at Miss State and have been to the Finals twice in the last three years and was in the Elite 8 this past year. She will only move to be head coach.

Stiles has way more experience as a player. She was the superstar at Missouri State but they didn't hire her to be the new coach there. Amaka “Mox” Agugua-Hamilton was introduced as Missouri State’s eighth women’s basketball coach on April 17, 2019. It is interesting that Kelly Harper didn't take Stiles with her to Tennessee. Missouri State had three Oklahoma girls on the roster but none from Texas.

Coquese Washington is an interesting hire. Penn State upgraded with Carolyn Kieger from Marquette. Washington's record has been really strange, she won big early and then her teams collapsed.

2008-2009 12-18
2009-2010 18-14 #WNIT
2010-2011 26-10 *NCAA 2nd Round
2011-2012 27-7 *NCAA S16
2012-2013 27-5 *NCAA 2nd Round
2013-2014 25-8 *NCAA S16
2014-2015 7-24
2015-2016 13-19
2016-2017 22-11 #WNIT
2017-2018 16-16 #WNIT
2018-2019 12-18

She went 123-44 from 2009-14 then went 70-98 from 2014-2019.
She might be the perfect fit because she is trending like Sherri.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:03 PM   #34
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Bingo +1!!!
Old 04-30-2019, 09:22 PM   #35
shydog
Walk-on

I might be wrong, but her decline started shortly after the Sandusky story put the Penn State athletic department in a very bad light. Looks like she had a couple good years with players who she already had on campus, but could not get good players to replace them. I could be totally wrong, but it could explain the meltdown.
shydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:24 PM   #36
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Well, we will soon see if this is proven correct. I am just not sure these two assistants are going to get a say of any significance or that this is anything more than re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Sherri has always behaved a bit like she thinks her you-know-what doesn’t stink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:55 AM   #37
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by shydog View Post
I might be wrong, but her decline started shortly after the Sandusky story put the Penn State athletic department in a very bad light. Looks like she had a couple good years with players who she already had on campus, but could not get good players to replace them. I could be totally wrong, but it could explain the meltdown.
The Sandusky conviction happened in June of 2012. The only problem with the theory is that Penn State football performed better than Washington's women's hoops team.

2013 7-5
2014 8-6 W Pinstripe Bowl
2015 7-6 L Gator Bowl
2016 12-3 L Rose Bowl
2017 12-2 W Fiesta Bowl
2018 9-4 L Citrus Bowl
Old 05-01-2019, 08:03 AM   #38
j2d2
All-American

To what extent will these new coaches' be permitted to teach and (2) how good are they at teaching?
j2d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:03 AM   #39
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
There is an absolute problem with using Shaina as a bad example. She was Big 12 Freshman of the Year in her first year at OU then I guess she went "Bad". Kind of strange that a player suddenly is worthless after having the first year that she had. She will fit well somewhere.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:35 AM   #40
soonermike22
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Hardy View Post
Well, we will soon see if this is proven correct. I am just not sure these two assistants are going to get a say of any significance or that this is anything more than re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Sherri has always behaved a bit like she thinks her you-know-what doesn’t stink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can only speak about Coach Coles character from early in her career, and in person away from coaching. I visited with her about coaching and young player development early in her OU career, and she took personal time to talk and give advise. Later on I asked her advise about for a friend that had applied for a job with a national association. Once again she took time to tell me what she knew about people in the association, and what they looked at to the best of her knowledge. She did not blow me off, or rush me, but was friendly, and spent time trying to assist. I have run into her at other places from time to time, and she always says hello, how are you?, and acts like a regular person.
For what it is worth, this is my perspective of her as a person.
soonermike22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:22 PM   #41
SuperHoops
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy17 View Post
There is an absolute problem with using Shaina as a bad example. She was Big 12 Freshman of the Year in her first year at OU then I guess she went "Bad". Kind of strange that a player suddenly is worthless after having the first year that she had. She will fit well somewhere.
What I am saying is that Shaina was one of, if not, the top Canadian player in her class. She gets to OU and we all find out she has massive holes in her overall game and in 2 years couldn't get them fixed. It is a whole lot easier to be an all-star when there isn't a high level of talent to play against on a regular basis.
SuperHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:49 PM   #42
Soonerguy06
Role Player

I was reviewing some posts on the Miss.State WBB forum and they've mentioned picking Shaina up...

If she ends up at a major program like that and becomes a key part of their success as a team then it will definitely make me scratch my head....
Old 05-01-2019, 01:37 PM   #43
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
What I am saying is that Shaina was one of, if not, the top Canadian player in her class. She gets to OU and we all find out she has massive holes in her overall game and in 2 years couldn't get them fixed. It is a whole lot easier to be an all-star when there isn't a high level of talent to play against on a regular basis.
Shaina is on Sherri - sorry but if she had all of those massive holes in her game, she would NOT have been Big 12 Freshman of the Year!!! There were only two players on the team who could create their shot, Llanusa, and Pellington. Those two are also the only speed on the team. There was absolutely nothing in the paint - you talk about a massive hole on a team!!!
Don't be surprised when she stars as a transfer at a major school and plays in the Big Dance while Sherri and Colton sit at home next year.

*Became the seventh OU player to win Big 12 Freshman of the Year ... *Unanimous pick to the All-Big 12 Freshman Team
*All-Big 12 Honorable Mention
*Finished with 407 points, tied for the seventh-most by an OU freshman in one season
*Ranked second on the team with 13.1 points per game
*Recorded 68 assists during the season, which is the ninth-most by a Sooner freshman in a single year
*Ranked second nationally among Division I freshman with a .492 field goal percentage - that was as a guard.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:12 AM   #44
Soonerbay
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy17 View Post
Shaina is on Sherri - sorry but if she had all of those massive holes in her game, she would NOT have been Big 12 Freshman of the Year!!! There were only two players on the team who could create their shot, Llanusa, and Pellington. Those two are also the only speed on the team. There was absolutely nothing in the paint - you talk about a massive hole on a team!!!
Don't be surprised when she stars as a transfer at a major school and plays in the Big Dance while Sherri and Colton sit at home next year.

*Became the seventh OU player to win Big 12 Freshman of the Year ... *Unanimous pick to the All-Big 12 Freshman Team
*All-Big 12 Honorable Mention
*Finished with 407 points, tied for the seventh-most by an OU freshman in one season
*Ranked second on the team with 13.1 points per game
*Recorded 68 assists during the season, which is the ninth-most by a Sooner freshman in a single year
*Ranked second nationally among Division I freshman with a .492 field goal percentage - that was as a guard.
Welp. This right here! The "holes" are in the lack of coaches ability to further develop players once they land in Norman.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:50 AM   #45
Soonerguy06
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerbay View Post
Welp. This right here! The "holes" are in the lack of coaches ability to further develop players once they land in Norman.
I agree 1000%!!

It will be interesting to see if any of the freshman get much better the next 3 years. It will be CRUCIAL that they do. It always made me chuckle a bit when the commentators during games would say the future looks bright for OU with all of our youth, however how many players have really developed and made significant strides? It's definitely a lower percentage. A little bit has to do with the type of players we have and their limited abilities (really, how much better can Robertson really get?!), and a lot of it has to do with the coaches and their lack in developing the true talent they so very rarely have landed recently. I see so much potential for improvement in Williams and Lampkin, but no sure how much better the others can get. In other words a very limited ceiling. This all being said, I'm interested to see what Scott will do this year...

Last edited by Soonerguy06; 05-02-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:34 AM   #46
Soonerguy06
Role Player

Looks like Mack is now a OSU Cowgirl!! Also, they signed the Canadian player of the year, a point guard Micah Dennis (I believe is her name).

Hobbs is now at DII fort Hays state...